What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

[Idea]Alternate Method For Uber-Rare Endgame Vessels

Comments

• Options
    kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    casualsto wrote: »
    Okay, after reading all of the mumbo-jumbo...
    You're making some really bad assumptions here, like that I've never bought ships or zen. Not only do I have zen ships of most tiers that Ive purchased, I've also recently become a lifer. This isn't about getting some uber endgame ship, its about giving people the ability to get an endgame ship they want, cryptic cash, and not devaluing the Promotion! ships best parts.
    nabreeki wrote: »
    I love how there is a lot of really good advice in this thread for both new and veteran players but, instead of taking the advice, the OP is going the petulant route.

The quality of the advice is moot, its off topic, and irrelevant to the topic dude.
  • Options
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    So...you admit that your idea will not happen because it is a terrible one that will knee cap cryptic's money making machine and will lead to the game closing down but you are being actively hostile towards people who are giving you advice on how to get the ship you want. K.
    Now you're putting words in my mouth. There is a difference between expecting the devs to ignore ideas at all, and what you are suggesting. Again you are ignoring the fact that I am not asking for them to give it out for free, I've even suggested upping the cost to $50. This is an idea thread not a 'how to make virtual cash' thread, they are off topic and don't belong here.

well I was just going to flag all of the off topic posts, including my own, and see about cleaning this thread up but it seems there's a timer on flagging things so @baddmoonrizin can we get this cleaned up some
  • Options
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    So you think 50 bucks instead of 250 which has the one thing that everyone cares about isn't gonna devalue the orginal ship...BWHAHAHAHAHA. If nike's Steph Curry shoes are on the market for 250 bucks and rebok makes a Steph Curry shoe for 50, you don't think the nike shoes value will be impacted at all? You think people care that it's a nike over a rebok? Or is it the fact that it has the Steph Curry name that it matters? You are keeping the main thing..,the ONLY thing that has value for these ships over other ships...the SKIN. You wanna remove the RNG...fine 50 fleet mods and I can see your idea not being a complete disaster. I doubt you will support that idea...because you want your brand name without paying for it.

Honestly I know people with these ships and they tell me that their stats make them slightly OP as it is, so what I reject is your insistence that people wont want the sup'd up versions. I also reject the concept that 1bil EC is even remotely logical, sane or fair. I barely think 300-400m is acceptable for a ship, and don't think its a fair price. Yes I bought a Veng for 320m, yes its a badass, do I think it was worth that much? Not really.

Your terrible example also supposes that both nike and rebok made the same shoe, something I am not suggesting.
    This boils down to two things, you assume the only thing good about Promotion! ships is their skin, and you feel 1billion is fair. Both points I flatly disagree on.

And honestly if Cryptic is at a point they need the revenue generated from the occasional and infrequent Promotion! boxes to stay in the black, then I suggest you get ready for the game to close, because nothing will save them if they're that bad off financially.
  • Options
    1b is logical, sane, and fair.
    "I reject the notion that this staircase has 100 steps on it I wish it only had 5 steps because I don't want to climb up 100 steps"

1b is fair in your opinion, which is grand for you, I disagree. But all of this is still highly off topic. Your example is just ludicrous and not worth replying to.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    yay more off topic posts to flag!

Seriously, this isnt about the game economy, nor is it about methods to gain the EC to sustain the absurd current in game economy. Please take that cra.p to its own thread
  • Options
    What is better?

A) cryptic torpedos its business model so that some guy doesnt have to work as hard as other people did to get something he wants.

B) The guy earns what he wants like everyone else and cryptic's business stays good.

I pick B)

you're making a lot of assumptions, unless you have access to Crpytic's financial information. Also, offtopic still
  • Options
    baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,328 Community Moderator
    Ok. It's technically not off topic, because they are explaining how your proposal would negatively effect Cryptic's business model and the in-game economy.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • Options
    dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    That is enough to start flipping lockbox ships.

Thus pushing ship prices higher and higher. I wonder what ship prices would be if any bought off the exchange became BoA as soon as it hit your inventory... :D

Too bad the way to make billions in the game is to play the Exchange. There is one guy (I call him bearded teletubbie) who is always standing by the DS9 Exchange anytime I go there. I assume he never leaves.

• Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    I also reject the concept that 1bil EC is even remotely logical, sane or fair. I barely think 300-400m is acceptable for a ship, and don't think its a fair price. Yes I bought a Veng for 320m, yes its a badass, do I think it was worth that much? Not really.

Yes, but unfortunately for you.. the in game economy is not regulated by your personal opinion or standard.

Is 1b a lot for a single ship that isn't even an account wide unlock? Perhaps. Is it fair? Absolutely.

Why? Because it's selling for that much. People are buying them which means that the market dictates that this item is worth it's asking price. If someone sells an item for X and people line up to pay it, then they have deemed that price to be fair for the item. If I had one of these ships and tried to sell it for 2 billion do you think I would get it? Of course not.. I would be forced to lower my price if I wanted to sell it. People are listing them for 1.2b and they are selling.. therefore, the price is fair.

I must say, your reaction to this thread is very disappointing. Druk, Nabreeki, Napalm, and a few others have honestly given you some not only good, but somewhat hard to come by information. They read your idea, decided it was not viable and gave you reasons why they felt that way, then made an attempt to help you get the item you wanted. You have repaid their kindness with hostility and a blind refusal to listen to any attempt to help you.

Cryptic is not going to sell the T6 Connie in the C-Store or for Fleet Modules.. that's just how it is. You have two choices at this point, use the information you have been given and get the ship you want, or forget it. It's really unfortunate that you're being so combative toward people that are making an honest attempt to help. The information they have given you is information that people normally don't even share.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    edited July 2017
    Hallelujah, enlightenment is upon us. The truth will set you free, the problem is:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MMzd40i8TfA
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    cbrjwrrcbrjwrr Member Posts: 2,782 Arc User

That is enough to start flipping lockbox ships.

Thus pushing ship prices higher and higher. I wonder what ship prices would be if any bought off the exchange became BoA as soon as it hit your inventory... :D

Too bad the way to make billions in the game is to play the Exchange. There is one guy (I call him bearded teletubbie) who is always standing by the DS9 Exchange anytime I go there. I assume he never leaves.

Um, you complain about price increases, while advocating something that would massively reduce supply and therefore massively increase cost to the end buyer?

The ship being flipped will be recirculated, so it only affects long-term supply that it is now off the market in storage awaiting prices to go back up (you buy below market value, then sell it at market value; people won't buy it if it is above market value)

What you would do is have ships be sold once and then that's it, that ship is now out of circulation, it will now have to be replaced at substantial cost, (numbers covered in detail further down) and also at a rising cost as items obtained through keys get more valuable driving up key prices and therefore overheads, and people, both players and Cryptic, dump hundreds of millions of EC into the system daily and causing inflation.

The thing is, the opener of the box that got the ship sets a price they are ok to take; probably not happy to take, as these ships actually make a massive loss, see the maths above for the T6 Connie as an example, but it'll do.

The buyer, if speculating, gambles that the item will increase in value and holds the item ready for when they reach a desired price. This is a gamble for several reasons - look at the infinity box if you want to see what kinds of losses can happen because of changes in supply, and also nerfs/buffs can reshape the market - I remember the days Plasmonic Leech cost Feds as much as some ships, now they aren't even worth as much as a T5 consolation ship because of the various changes to supply and item stats. You can lose billions just as easily as making them.

The final buyer who then takes the ship out of circulation is also ok with the price they pay, otherwise they wouldn't pay - it isn't as low as they'd like, but it is almost certainly cheaper than buying keys to unbox the thing.

Your method? Try over 1.2b EC to get a lockbox ship, or ~900m for a Lobi ship (RnD promo packs have been covered above) because your idea would mean every ship now has to be obtained new to be sold.

Lobi ships - The only way to obtain Lobi reliably in useful volume is opening boxes, which gives a minimum of 4, max of 50, with average of 5. You need 900 Lobi to get a T6 ship, which means 180 keys at a current value of 5m EC each. (800 lobi for a T5 ship)

Lockbox ships - the odds are 1/250. At 5m EC per go.

If you don't fancy that kind of price, then be thankful there are speculators who sell their ships to increase supply when the price gets high - the people who aren't being treated fairly is the now poor sod who paid the massive cost to obtain the ship in the first place, because they did not make money doing what they did to put the ship on the market.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    Ok. It's technically not off topic, because they are explaining how your proposal would negatively effect Cryptic's business model and the in-game economy.

@baddmoonrizin Fine then lock it, please, this b.s. has gone on too long as it is. Most of these posts dont even fall into that category but whatever.
    This is an idea thread, not a 'bash the idea' not a 'how to make ec by the bucket' not a 'long winded opinion piece on why this might possibly negatively impact cryptic's business model' thread. As in take the idea, adjust or twist it in various ways to come up with various means for achieving the core of the original idea.

And unless one of yall is their personal financier and has access to their books all you are doing is shouting your opinions on how this will affect them. And I'd want serious proof before accepting anyone claiming to be such
    I must say, your reaction to this thread is very disappointing. Druk, Nabreeki, Napalm, and a few others have honestly given you some not only good, but somewhat hard to come by information. They read your idea, decided it was not viable and gave you reasons why they felt that way, then made an attempt to help you get the item you wanted. You have repaid their kindness with hostility and a blind refusal to listen to any attempt to help you.
    Its grand advice but this is not the place for it. It could be the holy grail of all information ever and this is still not the place for it. I read it, will probably use at least some of it, but that does not change the fact that this thread is not about "how to make ec by the bucket", and it should be in its own thread. If I sound hostile its because Im shocked how hard it is for people to grasp the concept of keeping the thread on topic. Even the bloody moderator seems to have an issue with the concept at the moment
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    an idea that's directly harmful to the company model
    wild assumption w/o proof to back it up.
    Mod, please close this thread for the following reasons: toxic OP, poor scaffolding of discussion. Thanks in advance.
    and the OP requested it
  • Options
    alphagoralphagor Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    Bottom line is, every peasant wants a Ferrari. They just don't like paying/working for it.
This discussion has been closed.