test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Will New Exchange CAP increase serve to increase price gouging?

Comments

• Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    You did, however, make the assertion that sellers can't gouge someone, unless someone pays them, to which I replied, that they can't gouge me because I won't pay their gouger prices, but that because someone else will pay their prices (there's always another customer) they are enabled in their gouging practices.

And it should be pointed out, that -- contrary to popular grand standing -- it's not just a simple matter of "Oh well, then don't buy anything!" This is a game, and ppl want to participate; and yes, that includes buying stuff (sans having to wait, maybe indefinitely, for prices to become reasonable). So, an artificially controlled market really is a problem -- especially considering customers can't go shop anywhere else (short of just leaving the game altogether).

Tycoons love to do a 180, and blame those they exploit for being so stupid to buy their gouger prices. To which I correctively say: problem wouldn't exist if all y'all didn' try and take advantage of people in the first place.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    Nope. Sure didn't miss your point. You want others to publicly acknowledge what a Good Person you really are. Because external validation sure is important. Character's true measure comes from doing the Right Thing when no one else can see. When you've given away a complete set of MU ships to casual players, then maybe you can judge me. Until then, you got bupkiss.

BTW, the thought that someone thinks I am jerk means my plan is working to perfection. Means all the jackasses will leave me alone.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • Options
    lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,825 Arc User
    valoreah wrote: »
    Poll is very biased. Where is the "will have no impact at all" option?

How is it biased...just upset that it's obvious what people are voting for? Choose other if you have your own opinion.

The writing is on the wall...raise the cap and people will only get greedier.
  • Options
    lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,825 Arc User
    trekpuppy wrote: »
    I say prices are going down. There are already TOS Connies on the Exchange. That's a 300M EC drop in price right there.

And I'm sure that has nothing to do with people refusing to pay insane prices...no reason one ship should be much more expensive than another ship if it has the same odds.
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Sure.

We got the supply so we can demand whatever the heck we want.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    ltminns wrote: »
    Sure.

We got the supply so we can demand whatever the heck we want.

^^ I LOL-ed. :) Clever!
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    #smokebaileyFTW
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    LOTRO is NOT a bad game and it has a listing fee based upon the type of item and how long you want the item listed. The Auction House also takes a % of the final selling price. Of course people will increase the posting price to cover some of that. What happens to this - it is destroyed, thus taking 'money' out of the game.

Of course that Auction house, is an Auction House, as you can list a starting bid price. OR you can list with 'buy it directy'. Items can only be listed in one of the two manners. Christies and Sothebys take their share.

My favorite auction scene in the movies was performed by Cary Grant in 'North by Northwest'.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_Da2JjSEQ2Q
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    silverlobes#2676 silverlobes Member Posts: 1,953 Arc User
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    You did, however, make the assertion that sellers can't gouge someone, unless someone pays them, to which I replied, that they can't gouge me because I won't pay their gouger prices, but that because someone else will pay their prices (there's always another customer) they are enabled in their gouging practices.

And it should be pointed out, that -- contrary to popular grand standing -- it's not just a simple matter of "Oh well, then don't buy anything!" This is a game, and ppl want to participate; and yes, that includes buying stuff (sans having to wait, maybe indefinitely, for prices to become reasonable). So, an artificially controlled market really is a problem -- especially considering customers can't go shop anywhere else (short of just leaving the game altogether).

Tycoons love to do a 180, and blame those they exploit for being so stupid to buy their gouger prices. To which I correctively say: problem wouldn't exist if all y'all didn' try and take advantage of people in the first place.
    Exactly. The very fact that people want to participate, completely invalidates the notion of 'just not buying from them' :D

I agree, it is a problem, but as you so rightly say, the problem wouldn't exist, if there weren't those who try and gouge others. On the one hand, I think coldnapalm's 1% posting fee might be a good idea, but on the other hand, my concern is that it's not going to affect someone with deep pockets. It's a bit like when a cop pulls some rich punk over for speeding and issues the citation, and afluenzaboy pulls his roll out of his pocket, pays the fine with his pocket-change, gets back in the car and burns off again: The levy doesn't act as a deterrent, because it doesn't hit them where it hurts :-\
    "I fight for the Users!" - Tron

"I was here before you, I will be here after you are gone. I am here, regardless of your acknowledgement or acceptance..." - The Truth
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Nope. Sure didn't miss your point. You want others to publicly acknowledge what a Good Person you really are. Because external validation sure is important. Character's true measure comes from doing the Right Thing when no one else can see. When you've given away a complete set of MU ships to casual players, then maybe you can judge me. Until then, you got bupkiss.

BTW, the thought that someone thinks I am jerk means my plan is working to perfection. Means all the jackasses will leave me alone.
    Oh you missed my point by a country-mile, but nice attempt to try and deflect this away from your assholery :D

I'm not the one with the false-humble BS telling people to look me up in game so I can buy them expensive stuffz I don't consider worthy to own,and give it away like it's nothing, that's all on you, guy, clear as day for everyone to see.

And if, as you say, the true measure comes from doing the Right Thing when no one else can see, then you would have made the offer privately, or at least the enquiry as to if that was what I actually wanted, or even asking why I was consistently referring to a specific boff type (without a single request for one, or 'I wish I had one of those...') where the cost is (last time I checked) outside the reach of any new/casual player. I was just giving an example in the market which I'd observed. Nothing more, nothing less. You were the one who went out of their way to be all dismissive about them and fake-humble about it.

Also, you don't know what I've given away to people, because I don't use my philanthropy as a currency (which is EXACTLY what you're doing) and also, it's none of your business. I don't need your permission or approval to judge you, and the evidence is pretty clear.

"I was here before you, I will be here after you are gone. I am here, regardless of your acknowledgement or acceptance..." - The Truth
  • Options
    Can any of you space cadets name a single item for which there is price gouging?

Very Rare Fed Klingon Tactical Female. How many million are they selling for right now? Compare to the price of a Very Rare Fed Human Tactical Female. Or any other race. I'd hazard a guess that they are all under a million, except, for the Klingon.

• Options

Exactly. The very fact that people want to participate, completely invalidates the notion of 'just not buying from them' :D

I agree, it is a problem, but as you so rightly say, the problem wouldn't exist, if there weren't those who try and gouge others. On the one hand, I think coldnapalm's 1% posting fee might be a good idea, but on the other hand, my concern is that it's not going to affect someone with deep pockets. It's a bit like when a cop pulls some rich punk over for speeding and issues the citation, and afluenzaboy pulls his roll out of his pocket, pays the fine with his pocket-change, gets back in the car and burns off again: The levy doesn't act as a deterrent, because it doesn't hit them where it hurts :-\

Zactly! And, to start with the latter, the levy, in a bitter twist, would actually hurt the ones who can least afford it.

And you're right, that it's likely not going to affect someone with deep pockets. Although I saw repetitiveepic protest loudly somewhere (sorry, my poor brain just can't keep up with all these posts, LOL: I do a single MIA, and 20 new posts have arrived). I can't look into his wallet, of course, but he appears to be someone who probably *could* afford it.

Coldnapalm's idea has merit, though. It would, off the top of my hat, prevent (or slow down) constant buying up and relisting, aka gouging.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options

Oh you missed my point by a country-mile, but nice attempt to try and deflect this away from your assholery :D

I'm not the one with the false-humble BS telling people to look me up in game so I can buy them expensive stuffz I don't consider worthy to own,and give it away like it's nothing, that's all on you, guy, clear as day for everyone to see.

And if, as you say, the true measure comes from doing the Right Thing when no one else can see, then you would have made the offer privately, or at least the enquiry as to if that was what I actually wanted, or even asking why I was consistently referring to a specific boff type (without a single request for one, or 'I wish I had one of those...') where the cost is (last time I checked) outside the reach of any new/casual player. I was just giving an example in the market which I'd observed. Nothing more, nothing less. You were the one who went out of their way to be all dismissive about them and fake-humble about it.

Also, you don't know what I've given away to people, because I don't use my philanthropy as a currency (which is EXACTLY what you're doing) and also, it's none of your business. I don't need your permission or approval to judge you, and the evidence is pretty clear.

^^ Precisely! As the good book said:

"So, when you give to the needy, do not sound a trumpet before you, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and on the streets, to be praised by men. Truly I tell you, they already have their reward. But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, so that your giving may be in secret."
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    edited June 2017
    Can any of you space cadets name a single item for which there is price gouging?

Very Rare Fed Klingon Tactical Female. How many million are they selling for right now? Compare to the price of a Very Rare Fed Human Tactical Female. Or any other race. I'd hazard a guess that they are all under a million, except, for the Klingon.

because all of those other races are easy to get; starfleet klingons, however, are exceedingly rare - purple ones even moreso

you can only get them out of the c-store (and i'm not even all that sure about this being a source - it might not be), or rarely through a level up boff reward - they don't even have their own doff mission like the rest of the non-premium federation boff species do​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options

Zactly! And, to start with the latter, the levy, in a bitter twist, would actually hurt the ones who can least afford it.

And you're right, that it's likely not going to affect someone with deep pockets. Although I saw repetitiveepic protest loudly somewhere (sorry, my poor brain just can't keep up with all these posts, LOL: I do a single MIA, and 20 new posts have arrived). I can't look into his wallet, of course, but he appears to be someone who probably *could* afford it.

Coldnapalm's idea has merit, though. It would, off the top of my hat, prevent (or slow down) constant buying up and relisting, aka gouging.
    Yes, that was the subsequent point I was going to make, but forgot to: The casual/new players aren't going to have the ec to keep paying a listing fee, but to someone with deep pockets, it's no sweat.

It might serve as a deterrent against using the exchange as storage space, because even at 1%, on High End items, that's going to cost more than the Zen for additional bank or inventory slots, or, if that limit has been reached, simply rolling a new toon to use as an additional overflow bag.

A gouger, though 1% off a SillyPercent markup, which they know some rube is going to pay, is just not a deterrent.

• Options
    A gouger, though 1% off a SillyPercent markup, which they know some rube is going to pay, is just not a deterrent.

Yeah, you're probably right about that. :(

I'm not sure whether each ingame item has a unique hash (in Second Life, for instance, every rezzed object has a totally unique id), or just a shared item-hash. My point being, if the former, they could implement an incremental cost to relisting the same item. Like 1% for the first listing thereof, and then in further increments of 2.5-5%, or something. That'll teach 'em! :)
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options

Yeah, you're probably right about that. :(

I'm not sure whether each ingame item has a unique hash (in Second Life, for instance, every rezzed object has a totally unique id), or just a shared item-hash. My point being, if the former, they could implement an incremental cost to relisting the same item. Like 1% for the first listing thereof, and then in further increments of 2.5-5%, or something. That'll teach 'em! :)

Ooooh, that would work quite nicely :p

• Options

because all of those other races are easy to get; starfleet klingons, however, are exceedingly rare - purple ones even moreso

you can only get them out of the c-store (and i'm not even all that sure about this being a source - it might not be), or rarely through a level up boff reward - they don't even have their own doff mission like the rest of the non-premium federation boff species do​​

Rarity I can accept. I paid less than 20'000 ec for mine some time last fall. I can assure you that it'a only since March, I've even began dabbling on the exchange as an ec source. Prior to that, I only bought stuff and ground the ec, and prior to that, I'd never had more than a few hundred thousand in my account.

• Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    if you managed to snag one for only 20K, consider that an EXTREMELY lucky purchase on your part - even KDF klingon boffs of the VR variety are going for around 10x that price, and they are a LOT more common red-side​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options

How many million are they selling for right now?

How do people get them? Why do people want them?

To demonstrate price gouging, you first have to do a breakdown of all the variables.

What's the supply? Where does it come from? How does it compare to the supply of the items you're comparing it with?

What's the demand? Where does it come from? How does it compare to the demand of the items you're comparing it with?

Do homework first, then make a conclusion after. It's better than starting with a conclusion and not doing any homework at all.
    I asked you what the price was. I can't log in, my PC is dead, so I can't tell you how much they're selling for.

How do people get them? AFAIK, from the exchange. I've only been playing since last summer, so I don't know where/what all the good drops are yet.

Why do people want them? Impossible for me to answer, each person's reasons are their own.

Rather than answering questions with questions, and an unnecessary explanation of supply and demand, why not just answer the questions I posed you: How much are they currently selling for? and How does that compare with a boff of any other race? You asked for an example of a market where gouging is taking place; I believe that specific boff market is an example of it.

I'm not asking you a trick question, just log onto the exchange and find out. Like I said, I'll bet that the lowest cost of any other vr Federation race boffs, will be a fraction of the cost of a vr Fed Klingon boff.

• Options
    locutusofcactuslocutusofcactus Member Posts: 651 Arc User
    If you want to know what a fair price for a promo ship is, don't overthink it, just solve a math problem.

PromoShipPrice = (100 * PromoPackPrice) - (100 * R&D Pack Price) - (1000 * Lobi Value)

I believe your math is off by 10 lobi because when you win a promo ship, you don't get the lobi as well. My math says 990 * Lobi Value unless you are including the 10 lobi as a pack openers risk margin expense.
  • Options
    if you managed to snag one for only 20K, consider that an EXTREMELY lucky purchase on your part - even KDF klingon boffs of the VR variety are going for around 10x that price, and they are a LOT more common red-side​​
    I'm quite happy to accept that it was a lucky purchase, I even posted before that I was willing to accept that perhaps someone miss-listed the price just as I happened to be browsing, and I must've hit to buy before they could withdraw the sale. I still find it curious that they would command such a higher price than other Federation boffs of the same rarity, career and default skills, which is why I believed that they were an artificially inflated price. If that is indeed the legitimate price due to rarity in-game, then fair enough, I'll withdraw that as an example of gouging :)

• Options

How many million are they selling for right now?

How do people get them? Why do people want them?

To demonstrate price gouging, you first have to do a breakdown of all the variables.

What's the supply? Where does it come from? How does it compare to the supply of the items you're comparing it with?

What's the demand? Where does it come from? How does it compare to the demand of the items you're comparing it with?

Do homework first, then make a conclusion after. It's better than starting with a conclusion and not doing any homework at all.
    I asked you what the price was. I can't log in, my PC is dead, so I can't tell you how much they're selling for.

How do people get them? AFAIK, from the exchange. I've only been playing since last summer, so I don't know where/what all the good drops are yet.

Why do people want them? Impossible for me to answer, each person's reasons are their own.

Rather than answering questions with questions, and an unnecessary explanation of supply and demand, why not just answer the questions I posed you: How much are they currently selling for? and How does that compare with a boff of any other race? You asked for an example of a market where gouging is taking place; I believe that specific boff market is an example of it.

I'm not asking you a trick question, just log onto the exchange and find out. Like I said, I'll bet that the lowest cost of any other vr Federation race boffs, will be a fraction of the cost of a vr Fed Klingon boff.

Fed klingon boffs could be harder to get, or more in demand which would make them just naturally worth more though.

I'm not asking the questions facetiously, homework like that is the only way to figure it out.

You'll find with many boffs that the female ones cost significant more than the males. It doesnt take too vivid an imagination to guess at why.
    Indeed, they could be harder to get, especially at that rarity, I simply don't know. Shadowfang has said that I had an extremely lucky purchase, so I'm willing to withdraw that as an example, if their prices are consistently as high as they are. The perspective I was coming tomthe situation with, was: *checks exchange* When I bought mine, they never cost this much... O_O *checks exchange some time later* Wow, price is still high, someone must keep re-listing them at this price in the hopes to sell... *Checks exchange more frequently* Price seems pretty stable, someone's got to be keeping them at that price...

Oh the male/female price discrepancy I'd noticed long ago, and indeed, doesn't take much work out why. Again, supply and demand... Folks want their waifus; They're willing to pay more for them than beef.

• Options
    jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    edited June 2017

Even rarer than Federation Female Klingons are the Federation Female Orions. I did not know they existed until a Fed player walked by me with female Orion Boff on New Romulus. I righted clicked on the Boff to verify it was in fact an common (white) female Orion rather than an alien. Out of curiosity, I went to the Exchange to filter the most expensive Orions listed. Sure enough there was a single Federation common female Orion listed for 10m EC.

I tracked the Boff for a little over a week before it was no longer listed. I kept an eye out for it for several more day, but the Boff never reappeared. I can only assume that someone was willing to buy that Fed female Orion just to have a sort of ultra rare Boff.