What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

star trek discovery would be added to star trek online someday

Comments

• Options
    hmkchmkc Member Posts: 79 Arc User
    darakoss wrote: »
    Just waiting for the day they retcon TNG for being too dated. B)

Nice one! - what comes around, goes around...;:)
    Kirk out!
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    xayss wrote: »
    i check the trailer today
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8mesUEFjas
    i wonder someday this new serie would be on star trek online univer someday??

LOL. Looks like Lego meets Mass Effect. :)
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    meimeitoo wrote: »

Mass Effect yes!!
    Kirk out!
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    hmkc wrote: »

Mass Effect yes!!

Mass Effect was very good. 3, not so much. And 4? They probably shouldn't have bothered: see Star Trek Discovery. :P
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options

Mass Effect yes!!

Mass Effect was very good. 3, not so much. And 4? They probably shouldn't have bothered: see Star Trek Discovery. :P

Mass Effect 3 was good - the ending, well now, there be the problem;/

4- I had never done!

]
    Kirk out!
  • Options
    yeswecantyeswecant Member Posts: 74 Arc User
    Problem is that the devs cannot just randomly throw in new stuff without having some excuse for it.
    I mean Discovery is from the Kelvin timeline and that ship has already sailed.

Currently the game is all over the gamma quadrant.
    That's the place with all dem Tzenkethi, Dominion, Lukari, etc.

I just can't see much room there to fit the kelvin timeline.
  • Options
    szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    yeswecant wrote: »
    Problem is that the devs cannot just randomly throw in new stuff without having some excuse for it.
    I mean Discovery is from the Kelvin timeline and that ship has already sailed.

Currently the game is all over the gamma quadrant.
    That's the place with all dem Tzenkethi, Dominion, Lukari, etc.

I just can't see much room there to fit the kelvin timeline.

Nope. The Discovery is from the Prime Timeline. I know it looks like it did in the new movies but this was confirmed some time ago. As for Discovery stuff finding its way into the game, there's always timetravel. It's the magic wand of Star Trek (and STO).
  • Options
    yeswecantyeswecant Member Posts: 74 Arc User
    Aaaah, I see.
    Oh well, then that ship also sailed a year ago cuz that'd be comething more at home in the agents of yesterday arc.
  • Options
    avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    edited May 2017
    Do they think making a direct sequel to the last ST would be more risky than yet another prequel after the last one failed?
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    What failed? Not Enterprise. That ended early due to the TV channel dynamics at the time. The UPN as well as the WB closed the next year, which then became the CW.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    szim wrote: »
    Klingons in this time period should look like this, if I'm not mistaken. (They were going for the Mongolian horde look).
    Klingon_3_variants.jpg
    Those were just a sect that Kirk encountered. Most Klingons weren't affected by the augment virus.
    Isn't that all to be hoped for? If something's made for the fans it relies on an intimate knowledge of the series (which in part is what defines the fan). That precludes thoughtful development of elements which we fans take for granted, since that would be taken as fans as slow, plodding, and unnecessary to their interests. Ex. just who are the Klingons? That, in turn, can result in truncated story arcs (at the front end) which only a few can truly engage with (ie. series fanatics.)
    I disagree. Remember TNG and how it was its own thing? You didn't have to watch TOS to get into it. TOS could be completely ignored. In fact, each of the Trek shows, sans MAYBE DS9 could stand on their own without any knowledge of previous Treks. If one NEEDS knowledge of a series that is set in the same continuity as another, the problem is with the writers, not the continuity link. IMHO, of course. =)
  • Options
    docbrown#0652 docbrown Member Posts: 124 Arc User
    Yeah! TRIBBLE is coming to STO pretty soon. I can't wait for the humping to began lol.
  • Options
    saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,394 Arc User
    edited May 2017
    patrickngo wrote: »
    WHUT?? what's next? are the Vulcans going to have tentacles?
    Naaaa...

They'll just be able to do mind melds and nerve pinches from a distance and will also be prone to make bad puns, use swords and hate sand.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    Nah, tentacles require constant animatronics or CGI, too expensive for a primary species. They'll give the tentacles to the ferengi or romulans or something that only show up occasionally.

But they could make the vulcans green, with feathers for hair and a third eye in the forehead that shoots frickin laser beams when they fail to control their emotions. :D
  • Options
    darakossdarakoss Member Posts: 850 Arc User
    warpangel wrote: »
    Nah, tentacles require constant animatronics or CGI, too expensive for a primary species. They'll give the tentacles to the ferengi or romulans or something that only show up occasionally.

But they could make the vulcans green, with feathers for hair and a third eye in the forehead that shoots frickin laser beams when they fail to control their emotions. :D

Thermians!
    i-dont-always-funny-meme.jpg
    original join date 2010

Member: Team Trekyards. Visit Trekyards today!
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    tigeraries wrote: »
    they are klingons... the original series look was limited due to $ and technology at the time... which is why when the movies and came out we had the ridge look. also going black/dark face is not very pc these days... even if you were to dress up in Halloween, you'd get slaughtered. this is pre-kirk so pre augment look?

Actually, they look like Draazi to me.

TOS: Klingons had hair.
    TMP: Klingons have hair
    STIII; Klingons have hair
    STV: Klingons have hair
    STIV: Klingons have hair.
    TNG: Klingons not only had hair, they had LOTS of hair.
    DS9: Klingons have hair.
    Voy: Klingons have hair.
    Enterprise: Klingons have hair.

YOu know, order Mammalia. warm-blooded, fur-bearing, live-offspring delivering, roughly humanoid possibly like a hominid. The portrayal was consistent-they weren't man-in-an-armadillo-suit.

TRIBBLE: Klingons have bald, scaly lizard-skulls like the Draazi from Babylon 5.

chang didn't have hair​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    they are klingons... the original series look was limited due to $ and technology at the time... which is why when the movies and came out we had the ridge look. also going black/dark face is not very pc these days... even if you were to dress up in Halloween, you'd get slaughtered. this is pre-kirk so pre augment look?

YOu know, order Mammalia. warm-blooded, fur-bearing, live-offspring delivering, roughly humanoid possibly like a hominid. The portrayal was consistent-they weren't man-in-an-armadillo-suit.

TRIBBLE: Klingons have bald, scaly lizard-skulls like the Draazi from Babylon 5.

chang didn't have hair​​

yes he did
    original join date 2010

• Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    darakoss wrote: »

chang didn't have hair

yes he did

plummer_chang01.jpg

no, he didn't​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    Chang has a ponytail in the back...hence he has hair
    original join date 2010

• Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    this goes well past the "We didn't have the tech in the old series" because They had it for most of the eighties, nineties, and early 2000s.
    They had rubber lizard masks in the 60's.
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    Oh no...it's different alright. The other series for examples, other than enterprise is moving forwards in time. So the advancement of the tech look makes sense. The other series other than enterprise is moving forwards in time so the changes to races can make sense. The other series other than enterprise is moving forwards in time so anything that happens in the series does not muck up what has happened before. This is why, we haven't had real trek since voyager ended.

You may want to look again at what quality I'm referring to by saying "Discovery is no different." It's not that it's an invariant re-hammering of old principles and styles. It is making significant changes, that's why it's no different (in approach, at some level) from previous iterations of Star Trek. Each has been shaped by its own writing, cultural context, and production limitations.

Also, stuff changing as you move forward with time suggests quite strongly that things should also change as you move backwards in time as well. Otherwise you're going to get some truly weird temporal effects. :tongue:

So tell me oh wise one...why is older tech more advanced than newer one?
    It *looks* more advanced. That doesn't mean the technology is actually better, because looks are devieving.

And in the end, all that is superficial. If they tried to make a TOS or pre-TOS look, it would probably ruin the show for any new viewers, and quite possibly also for a lot of long-term Trek fans, too. The TOS look is 60s future technology, it is dated for contemporary viewers. We'd best consider those looks at non-canonical. It's not like they are actually relevant to the story.
    f the stockholders have any brains, they will see the outrage from fans over this series and the heads of CBS not listening to the fans repeatedly causing them to loose massive amounts of money when this fails and they will replace the heads of CBS for people with a brain hopefully.
    If the show flops, sure, that might happen. But what if it does not?

AFAIK, the Kelvin Timeline movies were more succesful then previous Trek movies. Just because some raging fans hate it doesn't mean that it negatively affects the bottom line.

Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Oh no...it's different alright. The other series for examples, other than enterprise is moving forwards in time. So the advancement of the tech look makes sense. The other series other than enterprise is moving forwards in time so the changes to races can make sense. The other series other than enterprise is moving forwards in time so anything that happens in the series does not muck up what has happened before. This is why, we haven't had real trek since voyager ended.

You may want to look again at what quality I'm referring to by saying "Discovery is no different." It's not that it's an invariant re-hammering of old principles and styles. It is making significant changes, that's why it's no different (in approach, at some level) from previous iterations of Star Trek. Each has been shaped by its own writing, cultural context, and production limitations.

Also, stuff changing as you move forward with time suggests quite strongly that things should also change as you move backwards in time as well. Otherwise you're going to get some truly weird temporal effects. :tongue:

So tell me oh wise one...why is older tech more advanced than newer one?
    It *looks* more advanced. That doesn't mean the technology is actually better, because looks are devieving.

And in the end, all that is superficial. If they tried to make a TOS or pre-TOS look, it would probably ruin the show for any new viewers, and quite possibly also for a lot of long-term Trek fans, too. The TOS look is 60s future technology, it is dated for contemporary viewers. We'd best consider those looks at non-canonical. It's not like they are actually relevant to the story.
    f the stockholders have any brains, they will see the outrage from fans over this series and the heads of CBS not listening to the fans repeatedly causing them to loose massive amounts of money when this fails and they will replace the heads of CBS for people with a brain hopefully.
    If the show flops, sure, that might happen. But what if it does not?

AFAIK, the Kelvin Timeline movies were more succesful then previous Trek movies. Just because some raging fans hate it doesn't mean that it negatively affects the bottom line.

Domestic
    1 Star Trek Par. $305,404,500 $257,730,019 5/8/09
    2 Star Trek: The Motion Picture Par. $289,707,100 $82,258,456 12/7/79
    3 Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home Par. $255,210,400 $109,713,132 11/26/86
    4 Star Trek Into Darkness Par. $241,336,900 $228,778,661 5/16/13
    5 Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan Par. $237,275,700 $78,912,963 6/4/82
    6 Star Trek III: The Search for Spock Par. $201,191,700 $76,471,046 6/1/84
    7 Star Trek: First Contact Par. $183,353,800 $92,027,888 11/22/96
    8 Star Trek Beyond Par. $164,987,300 $158,848,340 7/22/16
    9 Star Trek: Generations Par. $159,520,900 $75,671,125 11/18/94
    10 Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country Par. $158,198,300 $74,888,996 12/6/91
    11 Star Trek: Insurrection Par. $129,936,500 $70,187,658 12/11/98
    12 Star Trek V: The Final Frontier Par. $116,256,100 $52,210,049 6/9/89
    13 Star Trek: Nemesis Par. $65,064,900 $43,254,409 12/13/02

Numbers adjusted for inflation.

Worldwide (unadjusted)

1 Star Trek Into Darkness Par. $467.4 $228.8 48.9% $238.6 51.1% 2013
    2 Star Trek Par. $385.7 $257.7 66.8% $128.0 33.2% 2009
    3 Star Trek Beyond Par. $343.5 $158.8 46.2% $184.6 53.8% 2016
    4 Star Trek: First Contact Par. $146.0 $92.0 63% $54.0 37% 1996
    5 Star Trek: Generations Par. $118.1 $75.7 64.1% $42.4 35.9% 1994
    6 Star Trek: Insurrection Par. $112.6 $70.2 62.3% $42.4 37.7% 1998
    7 Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country Par. $96.9 $74.9 77.3% $22.0 22.7% 1991
    8 Star Trek: Nemesis Par. $67.3 $43.3 64.3% $24.1 35.7% 2002
    original join date 2010

• Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User

I think it would be best to wait and see how well, or how poorly, this new show does financially. There are--to put it mildly--mixed reactions among fans about the timeline, the universe it is in (prime), the Klingon-look, the technology look (it looks better than the Constitution class which is a no-no in the main timeline), and some of the politics involved in the new show.
    Only time will tell if this is a hit or a miss, so we'll have to all wait and see.

That is what I say, as well, obliterating the series even before it airs or, base one trailer is a little excessive!

However, I disagree with the better than the original - Constitution Class - which will always be a simple beauty, unmatched -Timeless Classic!

The Refit, quite possibly, but the TOS Connie has those dated looking nacelle tips. The deflector dish might be acceptable. On my Tier 6 Connie, the nacelles is what I replaced first.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
This discussion has been closed.