test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

star trek discovery would be added to star trek online someday

Comments

• Options
    koppsterkoppster Member Posts: 179 Arc User
    Sick of the last few years of retro-Trek.

Hardly anyone cares. Develop the non-JJ Star Trek universe beyond the timeline of TNG please.
  • Options
    kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    Regarding the look of the Klinks... seems there's a theory hopping around that these are some 'Ancient Klingons' on the tomb ship or whatever its being called now, and that they are the last of a dying(presumed extinct) variant species. Which might follow some older Klink lore better than human augment + flu victims from Ent
  • Options
    darakossdarakoss Member Posts: 850 Arc User

CBS could easily have used Ralph McQuarrie's greebling and other artists techniques to create a TOS look that would be believable. That is what the Axanar artists did and they did an amazing job of it (despite the fan-film creator's actions). The argument against the overly-advanced look in Discovery is a valid one at this point.

But it isn't TOS, it's 10 years before TOS. Aping the same look isn't particularly appropriate even from an in-canon standpoint. Here's what the same timescale can do to Starfleet ship design.

th?id=OIP.YNeRst62j7iMsCa_CZGElgEsCr&pid=15.1
    th?id=OIP.kqCuM3z3olRQq1J4rENjeAEsCB&pid=15.1

Axanar was being overly conservative (because it was simply fan service, it wasn't challenging expectations or trying to establish a setting that could live outside of existing box sets). It's not a standard that we should be hoping to see from Discovery.

It is TOS era. Discovery takes place durings Pikes five year.
    i-dont-always-funny-meme.jpg
    original join date 2010

Member: Team Trekyards. Visit Trekyards today!
  • Options
    hmkchmkc Member Posts: 79 Arc User
    xayss wrote: »
    i check the trailer today
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8mesUEFjas
    i wonder someday this new serie would be on star trek online univer someday??

I think it would be best to wait and see how well, or how poorly, this new show does financially. There are--to put it mildly--mixed reactions among fans about the timeline, the universe it is in (prime), the Klingon-look, the technology look (it looks better than the Constitution class which is a no-no in the main timeline), and some of the politics involved in the new show.
    Only time will tell if this is a hit or a miss, so we'll have to all wait and see.

That is what I say, as well, obliterating the series even before it airs or, base one trailer is a little excessive!

However, I disagree with the better than the original - Constitution Class - which will always be a simple beauty, unmatched -Timeless Classic!
    Kirk out!
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    eldarion79 wrote: »
    These maybe the ancient Klingons that Bryan Fuller was talking about. However, I like the trailer and I am looking forward to this new iteration of Star Trek.

Still don't know why they changed the Klingon's to look different in the movies (STMP) unless it was just for big screen effect! oh well.....

When they say 10 years before Kirk and Co. they must be talking about JJ Movie Version as those uniforms do not look anything near the uniforms that the original pilot - Capt Pike and crew had on which, is roughly in the same time period of 2250's.

However, I too, am looking forward to this and I'll guess I'll fork over a sub fee to CBS to do so, (I hope there is a commercial free option) I haven't checked!
    Kirk out!
  • Options
    nimbullnimbull Member Posts: 1,564 Arc User
    edited May 2017
    ltminns wrote: »
    That's it!!! After not seeing a single episode or the story it tells, I am done with this Series. ;)

Honestly that is how I feel given the presentation and offering.

1> Messed up looks for characters and sets for the stated place/time in the lore the story is told.

2> Paywall.

That right there is a no sale to me regardless of how good the story is. Either take the time to do it properly for the stated time and place the story takes place in the universe or don't bother asking me for a dime.
    Green people don't have to be.... little.
  • Options
    alchevsk1992alchevsk1992 Member Posts: 280 Arc User
    No thanks. You know this franchise is in trouble when the Seth MacFarlane Star Trek parody sitcom on FOX (The Orville) looks more like a real Star Trek series than the new "official" Star Trek series.

Discovery looks like something that was vomited up by the special effects team that worked on the Transformers movies ... and then some idiot executive at CBS said, "Throw the words 'Vulcan' and 'Klingon' into the script and call it 'Star Trek' so we can sell this trash to idiot fanboys."

If this is the future of Star Trek Online then I'll quit playing now while this game still resembles the Star Trek I've loved since I was 6 years old.

I've seen the trailer for star trek discovery and it isn't that bad aside for those Klingons. The JJ Abrams version looked better than them.
    tumblr_no772wVUH31u41vjso1_r1_1280.png

"Our history, our past, our present and our future is now forever changed. All we can do is preserve what is left and continue onwards. This is not a surrender nor defeat, we will continue the fight. This is our last hope, our last chance... for victory."

Vlasek D. Lasor - 4.19.3580

Star Trek Online: Foundry Storyline Series
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Budget has everything to do with all of that.

Take a look at the number of crew walking through the decks on TOS first year vs. the third year. Even during The Cage for crying out loud.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    No thanks. You know this franchise is in trouble when the Seth MacFarlane Star Trek parody sitcom on FOX (The Orville) looks more like a real Star Trek series than the new "official" Star Trek series.

Discovery looks like something that was vomited up by the special effects team that worked on the Transformers movies ... and then some idiot executive at CBS said, "Throw the words 'Vulcan' and 'Klingon' into the script and call it 'Star Trek' so we can sell this trash to idiot fanboys."

If this is the future of Star Trek Online then I'll quit playing now while this game still resembles the Star Trek I've loved since I was 6 years old.

I've seen the trailer for star trek discovery and it isn't that bad aside for those Klingons. The JJ Abrams version looked better than them.

Only one JJ Klingon was shown without a mask I believe, and assuming the piercings were a one-off for that individual Klingon the appearance wasn't really out of line with the appearance of Klingons on TNG, DS9, and ENT. These ... things ... look nothing like any Klingon design I've ever seen though, infact they look much more like Xindi reptilians than anything else.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,825 Arc User
    hmkc wrote: »
    These maybe the ancient Klingons that Bryan Fuller was talking about. However, I like the trailer and I am looking forward to this new iteration of Star Trek.

Still don't know why they changed the Klingon's to look different in the movies (STMP) unless it was just for big screen effect! oh well.....

When they say 10 years before Kirk and Co. they must be talking about JJ Movie Version as those uniforms do not look anything near the uniforms that the original pilot - Capt Pike and crew had on which, is roughly in the same time period of 2250's.

However, I too, am looking forward to this and I'll guess I'll fork over a sub fee to CBS to do so, (I hope there is a commercial free option) I haven't checked!

Except it isn't the JJVerse...this new show takes place in the Prime universe...just one of my the many problems people have with this show.

It's supposed to be a prequel that is a decade before Captain Kirk...yet nothing at all about the show looks like it...the ships looks more out of place than the NX...the uniforms don't fit...don't get started on the holographic communication.
  • Options
    lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,825 Arc User

Only one JJ Klingon was shown without a mask I believe, and assuming the piercings were a one-off for that individual Klingon the appearance wasn't really out of line with the appearance of Klingons on TNG, DS9, and ENT. These ... things ... look nothing like any Klingon design I've ever seen though, infact they look much more like Xindi reptilians than anything else.

As much as I'm not a huge fan of JJTrek...at least he tried to make things looks like they fit...his uniforms looked like they fit...his Klingons while a little different, actually looks like Klingons, and his Connie at least kept design aspects from the original Connie...

TRIBBLE just feels like it's them saying you'll like our Trek or else...
  • Options
    baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,326 Community Moderator
    95KwATF.png
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    lianthelia wrote: »
    hmkc wrote: »

Except it isn't the JJVerse...this new show takes place in the Prime universe...just one of my the many problems people have with this show.

It's supposed to be a prequel that is a decade before Captain Kirk...yet nothing at all about the show looks like it...the ships looks more out of place than the NX...the uniforms don't fit...don't get started on the holographic communication.

YES....and if the above is so.(PrimeVerse)....This really begs the question for "The producers", who I assume are Star Trek fans and, being that fans are sticklers for details, "of how can you put together a show - that is not in line aesthetically with the source base material that has long been established and they (the producers) should face blowback critiques from that point.

And now that I've gotten a much better look at this series, I'd love to hear their (Producer's explanation on why they redesign everything

The ships and uniforms which had a cool casual appearance, should look like the Capt Pike (Cage) Menagerie era either that or, they picked the wrong time period to base this show on.

Back on topic - how long would it take for Discovery themed items to show up in game or, maybe a prequel ep with the "Agents of time theme"
    Kirk out!
  • Options
    kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    Did you all really expect them to make a show in 2017 with 1960s special effects? REALLY?? Plastic jewel buttons and multicolored blinking lights for displays with no info?

Also consider they want money. Just like STO they need to be profitable, so ofc they are trying to cash in on the "young and hipster" KT Fanbase.
  • Options
    saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,394 Arc User
    This forum bug eating messages when editing them is seriously ticking me off.
    Did you all really expect them to make a show in 2017 with 1960s special effects? REALLY?? Plastic jewel buttons and multicolored blinking lights for displays with no info?
    Not the point. What some people says is "Try to respect the design continuity a bit better", not "give us full 60s design with 60s effects".

Take Rogue One.
    It uses modern technics and effects, yet it knows where to throw them.

They could have used them to make the ships interior look very advanced and bright, with augmented reality, kinect commands, bring modern-looking weapons that have moving parts and firing unique bolts of energy with new sounds, give VR helmets to everyone, give Vader and the Death Troopers very flexible CGI exo-suits with a collapsible helmet allowing them to do "super ninja of the future" moves and the Death Star plans would have been stored on a tiny USB key with the uploading screen being a fancy UI with lots of moving patterns, etc.

Except they didn't to respect the aesthetics of the Original Trilogy, instead using them on other things no less impressive like the fully-CGI K2, the effects of the DS superlaser on low-power, the skirmish in the canyons of Eadu in the darkness, the impressive battle of Scarif, both on the ground and space, that would have been impossible with models (especially the scene with the Hammerhead corvette), the recreation of Peter Cushing's face, the improved explosions and destructions, the new armors of the troopers that make sense (previously unseen shore and tank commander versions), new atmospheric TIEs, etc.

The Rogue One crew didn't go showing they can do great-looking stuff because they could and it would have looked prettier, they did it because it made sense where they put it.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • Options
    nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    Doesn't hurt that Star Wars starts from a movie-level visual base that's been continuously upheld by some of the best SFX guys in the business. ILM matte painters ARE the best in the business. That's a far cry from a 1960's stage play and movies that have completely changed their look every single outing. Outside of the ships - which I don't think there's many people on Earth who wouldn't immediately recognize the Discovery ship as being from Star Trek - its doesn't have that unified aesthetic. Dedicated fans can tell you what era you're looking at by the cut of a uniform, but the bulk of your casual viewers who pay the bills and are the target the producers have ALWAYS sought after don't know or care. "It's got phasers and transporters and a Star Trek ship... it must be Star Trek."

And then they move on to the question that actually matters: is it a good story?
  • Options
    Not the point. What some people says is "Try to respect the design continuity a bit better", not "give us full 60s design with 60s effects".

Take Rogue One.

They could have used them to make the ships interior look very advanced and bright, with augmented reality, kinect commands, bring modern-looking weapons that have moving parts and firing unique bolts of energy with new sounds, give VR helmets to everyone, give Vader and the Death Troopers very flexible CGI exo-suits with a collapsible helmet allowing them to do "super ninja of the future" moves and the Death Star plans would have been stored on a tiny USB key with the uploading screen being a fancy UI with lots of moving patterns, etc.

Except they didn't to respect the aesthetics of the Original Trilogy, instead using them on other things no less impressive like the fully-CGI K2, the effects of the DS superlaser on low-power, the skirmish in the canyons of Eadu in the darkness, the impressive battle of Scarif, both on the ground and space, that would have been impossible with models (especially the scene with the Hammerhead corvette), the recreation of Peter Cushing's face, the improved explosions and destructions, the new armors of the troopers that make sense (previously unseen shore and tank commander versions), new atmospheric TIEs, etc.

The Rogue One crew didn't go showing they can do great-looking stuff because they could and it would have looked prettier, they did it because it made sense where they put it.

As I and others have pointed out, the OT Star wars tech looks fine still to this day, it looks functional and has realistic coloring. The TOS tech on the other hand looks absolutely ridiculous when you look back on it. Every surface is flat, corners are squared off, and everything is painted with bright colors. The closest anyone could get to respecting that design continuity would be to completely throw it out and skip straight to the TWoK designs which, like Star Wars, still hold up.
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,394 Arc User
    edited May 2017
    The closest anyone could get to respecting that design continuity would be to completely throw it out and skip straight to the TWoK designs which, like Star Wars, still hold up.
    I never said the contrary and in my opinion, it'd have been a good compromise and those can be upgraded with more futuristic features, so we don't find ourselves with a Kelvin Timeline movie not in the Kelvin Timeline, even if it basically makes Trials and Tribble-ations and In a Mirror, Darkly non-canon since they acknowledge the design as being real.

Any time-traveler willing to erase those 2 episodes to prevent a rupture in the canon continuum?
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • Options

Take Rogue One.

As I and others have pointed out, the OT Star wars tech looks fine still to this day, it looks functional and has realistic coloring. The TOS tech on the other hand looks absolutely ridiculous when you look back on it. Every surface is flat, corners are squared off, and everything is painted with bright colors. The closest anyone could get to respecting that design continuity would be to completely throw it out and skip straight to the TWoK designs which, like Star Wars, still hold up.

MY TV is flat, the corners squared off and the center is a bunch of bright colors. Must be out of date. I gotta stop living in the past! :p
    original join date 2010

• Options
    I'll try to clarify the position of those of us that are saying the Discovery looks too advanced.
    It isn't the surfaces of the ship, it isn't the colors, heck it isn't even the greebling. It is the DESIGN of the ship itself that is too advanced.
    Case in point, here is a Daedalus class that still has the design of a ship between ST Enterprise and TOS:

f4a3c0ab9be0f9b03bf43e2c0f1135a3.jpg

That is a highly modernized version of the Daedalus. It has all the details and effects one would expect in a modern SF film, but the design and style of the ship tells you instantly what era it is from.

I thought we were talking about interiors? While I'm not crazy about the TOS Connie's exterior, it's far better than the interiors.
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    Just waiting for the day they retcon TNG for being too dated. B)
    original join date 2010

• Options
    I'll try to clarify the position of those of us that are saying the Discovery looks too advanced.
    It isn't the surfaces of the ship, it isn't the colors, heck it isn't even the greebling. It is the DESIGN of the ship itself that is too advanced.
    Case in point, here is a Daedalus class that still has the design of a ship between ST Enterprise and TOS:

That is a highly modernized version of the Daedalus. It has all the details and effects one would expect in a modern SF film, but the design and style of the ship tells you instantly what era it is from.

I thought we were talking about interiors? While I'm not crazy about the TOS Connie's exterior, it's far better than the interiors.

The interiors are easily fixed as well.
    Here is an image of a proposed "refit"/re-imaging of the original Connie bridge.

bf0e5ca0e8fa055c795fa0e1cc14f9b1.jpg

This version is closer to the original, but it still shows what can be done to improve the original while keeping the style and design true to form.

Bridge.jpg

The point being made here is that the style does not have to be modernized but the details DO, on that I hope we can agree. By details I mean the individual buttons, the viewscreens, the colors, the mechanisms on the walls (internal greebling), etc.

Hate to tell ya but the top picture is the bridge from TFF
    original join date 2010

• Options
    darakoss wrote: »

The interiors are easily fixed as well.
    Here is an image of a proposed "refit"/re-imaging of the original Connie bridge.

bf0e5ca0e8fa055c795fa0e1cc14f9b1.jpg

This version is closer to the original, but it still shows what can be done to improve the original while keeping the style and design true to form.

Bridge.jpg

The point being made here is that the style does not have to be modernized but the details DO, on that I hope we can agree. By details I mean the individual buttons, the viewscreens, the colors, the mechanisms on the walls (internal greebling), etc.

Hate to tell ya but the top picture is the bridge from TFF

Yes I know that, but the point is that the original layout/design didn't change. Even if we had not seen the ship, we'd know this was a constitution class.

Not really...it could have been a Miranda bridge, Oberth bridge, etc. Federation bridges of that era were pretty much the same.
    original join date 2010

This discussion has been closed.