Install Arc
Options

STAR TREK: DISCOVERY - Trailer 1

Comments

• Options
    mhall85mhall85 Member Posts: 2,852 Arc User1
    valoreah wrote: »
    mhall85 wrote: »
    YEAH! Nicholas Meyer knows s**t about making good Star Trek...!
    As for the "are they Klingon or not" argument, has anyone seen any reference to the Klingon symbol in any of the set pieces or costumes featuring the "Klingons" in the trailer? We definitely see it on the computer screen at 1:22 in the trailer. I don't see it anywhere on the walls, panels, set pieces or costumes though.

It does make one wonder if these aren't really Klingons.

Nice bit of sleuthing there, but I think some of the Trek news sites identified the actor under the makeup as the guy playing T'Kuvma. But, mixed with the fact the "Klingon" ship he's on is marked as "unknown origin"... I think it lends a ton of credence to the Ancient Klingon theory.

Still, your point kinda stands... if they are Klingons, they don't look era-appropriate quite intentionally, methinks.
    d87926bd02aaa4eb12e2bb0fbc1f7061.jpg
  • Options
    k20vtec wrote: »
    Meyer, despite twok creds, is a consultant to the show.

Meyer had his hands in TWOK, TVH, and TUC.

He also is a consulting producer AND writer on the show. He's written (or co-written) the first two scripts of the series.
  • Options
    alexmakepeacealexmakepeace Member Posts: 10,633 Arc User
    edited May 2017
    And klingons do look alot like the classic with modern touch up, well the eyes might be a tad small... its the weird thing they wear, just screams SUPER EVIL VILLIAN THST EST GORN EGGS.

And this is my big complaint about the Klingons: not that they look different, but all the vibes I get from the design say "irrideemable sci-fi mooks." Just look at their faces: which one has more visible cues for facial expressions? The classic Klingon...

star_trek_deep_space_nine.gowron.jpg

...Or this guy?

klingons-star-trek-discovery.jpg?w=620&h=348&crop=1

Fleshed-out characters need a way to emote. Two-dimensional villains don't. Now, you might argue that it's realistic to expect that aliens won't emote in a way we recognize (and you'd be right), but since when has Star Trek been that bold? The only example I can think of is the Horta, and the only way they got around that was by having Spock emote for the Horta. And furthermore, if you're going to make an alien that's alien enough that you can't read its face, why not go the whole nine yards and make it an actual alien?

The molded, turned down corners of the mouth should tell you all you need to know. This alien can't smile.

And yeah, the armor sucks no matter who it's supposed to be.

As for the dated look of TOS, look at this WIP I found:

TOS-Bridge-Updated_wip001.jpg

A very TOS look, very similar to the original bridge, but it looks a lod more modern, doesn't it? So it is possible to adapt the classic designs into something more reasonable.
  • Options
    k20vteck20vtec Member Posts: 535 Arc User
    edited May 2017
    Close up shot.

http://www.vektorvisual.com/3dwips/misc/TOS-Bridge-Updated_wip002.jpg
    Here is the link. Csnt post the pic with phone

Msny of todays screens do feature large easy to see multi-colour icons, imsgine, say, apple car play menu in those touch screens, would look weird but certainly wong be all that out of place
    Hast thou not gone against sincerity
    Hast thou not felt ashamed of thy words and deeds
    Hast thou not lacked vigor
    Hast thou exerted all possible efforts
    Hast thou not become slothful
  • Options
    hawku001xhawku001x Member Posts: 10,760 Arc User
    I know they say it's Prime Timeline, but I get the feeling they're making it fit in both. Also, Klingons causing trouble again, and this time it's the fanbase. We must not let them win. The line must be drawn here!
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,040 Community Moderator
    I'm still wondering how they show rank on the Discovery uniforms.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    alexmakepeacealexmakepeace Member Posts: 10,633 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    I'm still wondering how they show rank on the Discovery uniforms.

You just sniff.
  • Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    I'm looking forward to all the hate directed at the new Star Trek show by people who complain there hasn't been a new Star Trek show since Enterprise got cancelled.​​
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    miirikmiirik Member Posts: 483 Arc User
    This is garbage, hot garbage.
    1) We were specifically told (I remember reading the damn article) this was following the prime timeline
    2) Instead it's JJ TRIBBLE all across the board, ALL ACROSS THE GOD DAMN BOARD.
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,040 Community Moderator
    miirik wrote: »
    1) We were specifically told (I remember reading the damn article) this was following the prime timeline
    2) Instead it's JJ **** all across the board, ALL ACROSS THE GOD DAMN BOARD.

1: Yes it is Prime.
    2: There is no evidence to say its Kelvin Timeline, which is being run by Paramount. Not CBS.

Honestly so what if it looks advanced. You expect them to make it look like it was made back in the 1960s to attract NEW viewers in 2017?
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    THE KLINGONS LOOK LIKE TRIBBLE.

That's all I have to say on this matter.
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    iconians wrote: »
    I'm looking forward to all the hate directed at the new Star Trek show by people who complain there hasn't been a new Star Trek show since Enterprise got cancelled.​​

I don't know what you are talking about. There hasn't been any star trek TV shows since voyager ended.

Enterprise was way better than Voyager. Nothing you can say will convince me otherwise.
  • Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,113 Arc User
    darakoss wrote: »
    So...this IS set in JJverse after all...because if it ain't CBS just killed the prime timelime.

Considering the U.S.S. Kelvin LAUNCHED and EXISTED IN the prime Timeline (the divergence happened when Nero's ship appeared); and given the U.S.S. Shenzou has NX-01 design elements (IE the Saucer Section and the Gold Deflector Dish) - meaning it's most likely an older vessel maybe at its prime in the 2230ies (like the U.S.S. Kelvin) - sorry, I don't see a problem placing this series in the Prime timeline.

This Trek fan who's been watching Star Trek first run since 1969 (I was 6) loved the trailer and is looking forward to more. We're definitely back in the 23rd Century. Gone is the 24th Century 'Boardroom Star Trek' TNG era (IE They all sit around a Conference Table and talk for 1/3 to 2/3rds of an episode).

Couldn't be happier. ;) (YMMV of course.)

10 years before Kirk is 2255 which puts it int "The Cage" era. That means the uniforms are wrong. The aesthetics are wrong, and the Klingons (If these are the shows true Klingons of the era) way off. The Shenzou having a Kelvin vibe is ok but everything else still seems to have a KT look. Now if Discovery herself looks that way then they messed with continuity yet again.

The events in "The Cage" happened "12 Years ago" (from TOS - "The Menagerie" in the first season on TOS and TOS started in 2266) - thus "The Cage" events would have happened in 2254 - while ST: D starts two years later in 2256.

lets see what change can be made in two years going by past events in the Star Trek Franchise?

When TOS ended the 1701 looked like this:
    STC_Enterprise.jpg

and the 1701 Bridge looked like this:
    FrtLB.jpg

Two years later in Star Trek: The Motion Picture (Kirk says: "Two years as head of Starfleet Operations may have made me a little stale...: and Mr. Scott also said: "We've just spent 18 months redesigning and refitting the Enterprise..."

The 1701 (Refit) looked like this:
    Enterprise_01_hr.jpg

P74_2_TMPBridge.jpg

So, yeah, a LOT can change in the Star Trek universe in two (not to mention ten) years. ;)
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    darakossdarakoss Member Posts: 850 Arc User
    edited May 2017
    darakoss wrote: »
    So...this IS set in JJverse after all...because if it ain't CBS just killed the prime timelime.

Considering the U.S.S. Kelvin LAUNCHED and EXISTED IN the prime Timeline (the divergence happened when Nero's ship appeared); and given the U.S.S. Shenzou has NX-01 design elements (IE the Saucer Section and the Gold Deflector Dish) - meaning it's most likely an older vessel maybe at its prime in the 2230ies (like the U.S.S. Kelvin) - sorry, I don't see a problem placing this series in the Prime timeline.

This Trek fan who's been watching Star Trek first run since 1969 (I was 6) loved the trailer and is looking forward to more. We're definitely back in the 23rd Century. Gone is the 24th Century 'Boardroom Star Trek' TNG era (IE They all sit around a Conference Table and talk for 1/3 to 2/3rds of an episode).

Couldn't be happier. ;) (YMMV of course.)

10 years before Kirk is 2255 which puts it int "The Cage" era. That means the uniforms are wrong. The aesthetics are wrong, and the Klingons (If these are the shows true Klingons of the era) way off. The Shenzou having a Kelvin vibe is ok but everything else still seems to have a KT look. Now if Discovery herself looks that way then they messed with continuity yet again.

The events in "The Cage" happened "12 Years ago" (from TOS - "The Menagerie" in the first season on TOS and TOS started in 2266) - thus "The Cage" events would have happened in 2254 - while ST: D starts two years later in 2256.

lets see what change can be made in two years going by past events in the Star Trek Franchise?

When TOS ended the 1701 looked like this:
    STC_Enterprise.jpg

FrtLB.jpg

Two years later in Star Trek: The Motion Picture (Kirk says: "Two years as head of Starfleet Operations may have made me a little stale...: and Mr. Scott also said: "We've just spent 18 months redesigning and refitting the Enterprise..."

The 1701 (Refit) looked like this:
    Enterprise_01_hr.jpg

P74_2_TMPBridge.jpg

So, yeah, a LOT can change in the Star Trek universe in two (not to mention ten) years. ;)

So by your logic by the time Kirk got command of the Enterprise in 2266 (actually Kirk was given command in 2264, 5 year began in 2265...so 2255 is correct.) when the ship is about 15-20 years old the Enterprise bridge would be more advanced than the D. Sorry I don't buy it. All the other iterations of Trek acknowleged the TOS look as canon. This new show should be labled a reboot/retconn. If thats the case CBS should just say so and it's a done issue. But they keep saying prime timeline which for the sake of continuity it's not.
    i-dont-always-funny-meme.jpg
    original join date 2010

Member: Team Trekyards. Visit Trekyards today!
  • Options
    theanothernametheanothername Member Posts: 1,504 Arc User
    edited May 2017
    I would seriously have had WAY less of an issue had they just set this thing in the future. If they were gonna muck everything up, why constrain themselves to a prequel when you could have set this 100 years in the future and have had like no issues. It's like these folks don't have a clue about sci fi fans, make terrible descisions about sci fi shows and wonder why they do so poorly.

Pretty much this. As (I think) I said previously I'd like it if I would not know/not care about any previous Trek. Unlike most complains against I do not have issues with the visuals I saw. I think the Uniforms look nice & starfleety, the EVO looked awesome, the bridge settings/GFX appealing, the (hopefully) non-klingon aliens very interesting with their Gigerish touch. It all falls apart by the completely unnecessary where & when setting. There is absolutely no need for them to TRIBBLE over all established Trek and alienate part of the fanbase and yet they do. Between TUC and TNG is a big enough gap that could have worked if it had to be set in an established era; even with Klingon antagonists in form of Chang loyalists/rebel houses; (again why an established era if its getting ignored anyway?) but otherwise it would have worked greatly set somewhere after Nemesis.

I will not rule out that the trailer might have just been messed up and the show actually fits itself in... somehow. But I do not believe it will happen.
    Close up shot.

http://www.vektorvisual.com/3dwips/misc/TOS-Bridge-Updated_wip002.jpg
    Here is the link. Csnt post the pic with phone

Msny of todays screens do feature large easy to see multi-colour icons, imsgine, say, apple car play menu in those touch screens, would look weird but certainly wong be all that out of place

That actually even looks like its halfway between the TOS/TMP and TNG Bridge controls.
  • Options
    jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    edited May 2017
    iconians wrote: »

I wouldnt mind if CBS was actually making a star trek show, but this? this is pig slop in a trek wrapper , until the fanbase itteraly draws a line in the sand and tells CBS to go take a flying leap till they stop defacating on the IP.

I hate to admit this but peters axanar was more trek then TRIBBLE.
  • Options
    lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
    "angrytargangrytarg Posts: 7,922Member Arc User
    May 18
    Judging by trailers I am more excited for "The Orville" than this. But anyone who doesn't like this is just butthurt and can't adapt to new things, IDIC blah blah blah so I probably won't wste my time commenting on this a lot.​​"

Yeah I watched the Orville trailer right after and my first thought was WHY DOES THE ORVILLE FEEL MORE LIKE STAR TREK THEN DISCOVERY?

The Klingons look like melted Tar Babies left in the sun too long. Why does the uniforms look nothing like TOS?

And why did they make the Grim Reaper into a species?

When did the lead character become a half Vulcan.

Remember the clip I put on with the strange Discovery rumours, like the Prime Universe really being a cluster of Prime Universes or something, that was less weird and confusing then this trailer.

Is it too late to make the Orville the new Star Trek and Discovery the Star Trek parody?

After seeing that Trailer I swear I'll never say a bad thing about the JJverse again, that at least looks more like Star Trek then this did.

I mean it looked so WTF that even Cryptic might not find anything usable to add to the game from TRIBBLE.

To be far those who suggest we don't have context are right, so they should give us some context.

I hope they are the Hurq, that wouldn't be so bad.
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    angrytarg wrote: »
    Judging by trailers I am more excited for "The Orville" than this. But anyone who doesn't like this is just butthurt and can't adapt to new things, IDIC blah blah blah so I probably won't wste my time commenting on this a lot.​​

The best thing the DIS trailer actually did for me, seeing enough ppl over the net refer to "The Orville" in DIS trailer discussions that I got curious enough to find out about it. What a pleasant surprise; I AM looking more forward to it than for DIS :)
    I wonder if people would be as excited if The Orville had TOS aesthetics.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    theanothernametheanothername Member Posts: 1,504 Arc User
    angrytarg wrote: »
    Judging by trailers I am more excited for "The Orville" than this. But anyone who doesn't like this is just butthurt and can't adapt to new things, IDIC blah blah blah so I probably won't wste my time commenting on this a lot.​​

The best thing the DIS trailer actually did for me, seeing enough ppl over the net refer to "The Orville" in DIS trailer discussions that I got curious enough to find out about it. What a pleasant surprise; I AM looking more forward to it than for DIS :)
    I wonder if people would be as excited if The Orville had TOS aesthetics.

Ask me again in 50y years if its still a thing then :D

well... assuming I make 50y :/
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    And tng aesthtic isnt anymore used than tos, certainly not used when compare to SW(except star destroyers which is clean as ****).

Not to start with, but by mid TNG and into DS9 and from that point on things started becoming functional, props that slid out and could be rearranged, functional lighting and vents and so on. In contrast to TOS with it's silly bits of primary coloured pipe on cardboard and string based circuits.
    And i dunno about holograms, but the closest thing we got, like touchscreen, and huds certainly isnt neonblue everywhere.

Have you seen car HUDs? They're mainly blue writing projected onto glass. Just like sci-fi productions and in complete disregard for efficiency.
    No one said they want 1960s replica to 100%.

That's what's being implied. DSC replicates the look of ENT and the KT perfectly. Both of which is Star Trek, the only reason people are complaining is because they expected cardboard.
    Aesthetic will change, the look we have today wont last forever. SW is already retro in a way with how heavily industrial they are and lacking the big **** touch screens everywhere(or compsre it to MEA or Passenger), the prequels hologram and other flashy moderness was picked on by people. Rogue One and TFA is still retro despite how new they are

Despite people's blind hatred for the PT the aesthetics were not significantly different from those of the OT. The same washed out grey and black interiors are present on the Ventor Star Destroyers, the same real switch cockpits are present in the ARCFighters as they are in the X-Wings. The difference is down to the filming styles not the visual aesthetic.
    mhall85 wrote: »
    Pretty much this, LOL.

The positivity of yesterday seems to be devolving into fear and hate. I guess that shouldn't be surprising, but as you noted... it seems a lot of fans are comparing 1966-69 to 2017, instead of 2154-2233 to 2255. If Enterprise is every bit as canon as the rest of Trek, and the USS Kelvin and USS Franklin are accepted into canon (as they should be), then there should be no gripes. This looks like a very natural progression from those points. And as for the Klingons? To me, either the Ancient Klingons theory or the Hur'q theory would sink this uproar over the looks of the Klinks. No matter what you think of the aesthetics of the trailer, we still lack context and content.

It's going to take some adjustment, sure... but I'm a big boy, and I'm willing to give it a shot.

How dare you keep an open mind and be willing to wait for the show to come out. Real Trek fans blindly hate TOS S3, TMP, TWoK, TNG, DS9, VGR, ENT, KT Star Trek before watching it. pig-2.gif.

As for the progresion, if TOS/TAS and TMP are removed then you can still see the adancment from ENT to the Franklin, to the Kelvin, to this, to the TWoK visuals and the TOS film styles.

Not only is it confirmed to be in the Prime Timeline but it's also confirmed JJ Abrams will have nothing to do with it. You know, like he hasn't since 2012, grow up.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    k20vteck20vtec Member Posts: 535 Arc User
    edited May 2017
    Hud? sure they have neon blue but far from all are like that. And some can change the colour anyway

And tng.. functional is certainly part of it but nothing in the tatooine /steam-backalley blade runner used look.

Well, I dont really know just speak for my self, using touch screen to display all the old buttons as icons, maybe some lever and TRIBBLE etc on the side will work nice. The square corridors, some weird lightning aside, isnt really out of place when it comes to functionality with its simple straight paneled design and its probably easier to make then hexagonal or whatver some scifi corridors have.

Hmm, maybe it does sense from lore, it goes from neonblue everywhere to colour display that can show more than one colour.
    Hast thou not gone against sincerity
    Hast thou not felt ashamed of thy words and deeds
    Hast thou not lacked vigor
    Hast thou exerted all possible efforts
    Hast thou not become slothful
  • Options
    smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,665 Arc User
    You fans should stop being so butthurt. Its 2017, not 1966. Of course things have to look different.

But we still wanted to use that 1966 setting anyway, even though all the post-nemesis hologram-touchscreen-so-future is already there. So we have to do the 1966 tos-era, but make everything not tos-era anyway.

You fans should stop complaining and whining and just accept it.

well, Force Awakens.....same 1970's styles, even the 1970's computer on the falcon....so out goes that reasoning.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • Options

2: There is no evidence to say its Kelvin Timeline, which is being run by Paramount. Not CBS.

Honestly so what if it looks advanced. You expect them to make it look like it was made back in the 1960s to attract NEW viewers in 2017?

the recent Sw films using 1970's looks, and no one is whingeing
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • Options
    dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User

This is arguably because Star Wars aged better... but yes, I have to take your side here. There are ways to modernize the aesthetics without removing core components.

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • Options
    dalolorn wrote: »

This is arguably because Star Wars aged better... but yes, I have to take your side here. There are ways to modernize the aesthetics without removing core components.

I really don't see how star wars aged well....Sw's always looks so clunky and primitive
    the sleek, smoothness of the tos ships always looked advanced to me, like it was poured, grown, woven or manifested...
    "Wounded Sky", a tos novel that was the inspiration for TNG's "Where no one has Gone Before", one of my favorite stories, talked how federation ships had their hulls woven onto a frame, like a spider weaving it...and it was crystal spiders who did it..which sounds very advanced and sounds really faboo in my opinion.....and the Nx looks far less advanced, since greebles and kibble slapped onto the surface of a ship always looked like a primitive culture made it...that's how I feel.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    Hud? sure they have neon blue but far from all are like that. And some can change the colour anyway

Oh yeah, I'm not saying it's across the board, just that life imitates art and vice versa.
    And tng.. functional is certainly part of it but nothing in the tatooine /steam-backalley blade runner used look.

I know. They're both very different but still 'lived in'. TOS feels very like a set but for display whereas TNG or Star Wars feel like real places, different from each other but still functional.
    Well, I dont really know just speak for my self, using touch screen to display all the old buttons as icons, maybe some lever and **** etc on the side will work nice. The square corridors, some weird lightning aside, isnt really out of place when it comes to functionality with its simple straight paneled design and its probably easier to make then hexagonal or whatver some scifi corridors have.

I assume the design of the corridors is for structural support. Hexagons are made of triangles which are load bearing making you less screwed when the SIF fails.

That's already been pointed out and answered. Star Wars uses real props that aren't massivly out of spec for what we use today. TOS dosn't use 60s props, it uses a 60s mentality of what future props look like, which apparently is cardboard and primary coloured plastic in simple shapes, ridiculous costumes, and jelly beans.
    the sleek, smoothness of the tos ships always looked advanced to me, like it was poured, grown, woven or manifested...
    "Wounded Sky", a tos novel that was the inspiration for TNG's "Where no one has Gone Before", one of my favorite stories, talked how federation ships had their hulls woven onto a frame, like a spider weaving it...and it was crystal spiders who did it..which sounds very advanced and sounds really faboo in my opinion.....and the Nx looks far less advanced, since greebles and kibble slapped onto the surface of a ship always looked like a primitive culture made it...that's how I feel.

I don't think anybody has a problem with the design of the TOS ships on the outside. ENT shows they can still look impressive against far more practical designs when properly animated and flying realistically and not dangled statically from a string two metres away from another static ship. The issue is with the interiors and their bleeding-edge cardboard.

This isn't even my own opinion on them, I'm ambivalent towards the TOS aesthetic (unlike TMP which I loath) on the whole. It's just apparent it's as dated as all hell and that no, even semi-serious, attempt can be made to use it as basis for a major relaunch of a 50 year old franchise in 2017 and any attempts to say that Star Wars managed it fail to take into account the fact that TOS and the OT are nothing alike visually speaking.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    Star Wars had 10 years of advancement, and a larger budget to tell a 2-hour story.

The Original Series operated on a TV budget, which was constantly getting cut by the network, to tell 79 hours worth of story.

It's apples and oranges.
  • Options
    artan42 wrote: »
    Star Wars uses real props that aren't massivly out of spec for what we use today. TOS dosn't use 60s props, it uses a 60s mentality of what future props look like, which apparently is cardboard and primary coloured plastic in simple shapes, ridiculous costumes, and jelly beans.

Indeed.

TOS also suffers from bad scientific understanding (it's understanding of the size of the universe is laughable), and lack of foresight on building it's own storytelling universe (United Earth Space Probe Agency, to Space Central, to Star Fleet).

Some fans hate TOS for these very reasons, and it's why CBS wasn't going to bet the farm on rehashing it for an entire series.