test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Sector space PVP

2»

Comments

• risingwolfshadowrisingwolfshadow Member Posts: 619 Arc User
    edited May 2017
    I've suggested something like this before, optional PvP mode where the player can choose to be in a state where they can be attacked by other players anywhere and if they were in sector space they'd drop out into the nearest system where a distress call would be sent front hat system to the factions.

The response I got was: "YOU CANT FORCE PEOPLE TO PVP!!!
    GO PVP SOEWHERE ELSE!!!
    GO AWAY AND TAKE YOUR TOXIC COMMUNITY WITH YOU!!!"

Not exactly a shining example of the literacy skills from the loud and arrogant members of the PvE community but hey ho, can't stop people from being exceptionally thick!
  • hanover2hanover2 Member Posts: 1,053 Arc User
    As long as it can be completely switched off and ignored, knock yourself out. I suspect, though, that most people would leave it switched off.
  • themadprofessor#9835 themadprofessor Member Posts: 1,203 Arc User
    yuki109 wrote: »
    to be honest the pvp isn't the main reason I want this, I'm just sick of being bored out and I want to be able to come across a distress signal and just be able to do something that isn't just grinding the same few pve missions, something that is actually meaningful.

sure this game has missions that make you feel like you are doing something to help people but in the end it is just a scripted story with no sense of freedom.

and if it was set up like this, pve players would never need to pvp since they could just turn off the pvp setting and they couldn't be attacked or attack other players, this would be something you would only need to do if you wanted to do it.

So what you want is basically the existing PvP system, but without the annoyance of clicking through windows to set up a PvP match.
    Space Barbie Extraordinaire. Got a question about Space Barbie? Just ask.

Things I want in STO:

1) More character customization options such as more clothing options, letting the toon complexion affect the entire body, not just the head. Also a true RGB color picker applied to all costume and appearance options, which would allow for true appearance customization and homogenous colors instead of "this same exact color looks vastly different on two different pieces."
    2) Bridge customization, not bridge packs. Let us pick a general layout and adjust the color palette, console appearance, and chair types, as well as more ready room layout options.
    3) Customizable ground weapons, i.e. The aesthetic look of phaser dual pistols but they shoot antiproton bolts. For obvious reasons this would only apply to standard ground weapons.
    4) For the love of Q please revamp Plasma Ground Weapons. They look like demented Supersoakers right now.
    5) True Vanity Impulse and Deflector effects similar to Vanity Shields.
    6) A greater payout for hitting T6 Reputations. Currently it takes more time and resources to get from T5 to T6 than it does to get from nothing to T5. Make that grind really pay out at the end.
    7) Mirrorverse Refugee event similar to AoY/Delta/Gamma, complete with new Mirrorverse recruits for all factions.
    8) Independent Faction, because yo ho yo ho a pirate's life for me!
  • brian334brian334 Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
    There seems to be a belief prevalent among gamers and game developers that PvP and PvE are opposites, and that resources devoted to one detract somehow from the other.

STO has gone all in the PvE direction by making design decisions which push the threshold for entering PvP so high that few players can compete with the elites of PvP. It is extremely difficult to enter a PvP match as a newbie without becoming fourteen of the fifteen required kills to end the match.

This has nothing to do with PvP being harder or PvE being easier, and everything to do with game design. In STO, all captains over level 50 are swimming in the same PvP pool, regardless of reps completed, skill points earned, traits earned over time and via special events, etc.

The equivalent in PvE would be to take your new T1 starter ship into ISA with a level 10 captain. It would hardly be fair, would it? But because of game design decisions, not the least of which is the extraordinary number of passives a captain can earn after level 60, and the game design decision to not include these in their rather excellent, and largely unused level matching program, we now have a situation where those who have been playing one toon since Season 6 has an advantage which the player whose toon began in Season 11 can never hope to overcome.

Until level matching includes traits, skills, reputations, and gear, PvP will remain a small and unimportant segment of this game, not because the majority of players don't want it, but because entry into the ranks of PvP players requires being repeatedly beaten by players you will never have a chance to defeat. Who wants to keep playing a game they know they can never hope to win?

tldr: Until there is a way to match opponents of equal potential, there is no real hope that PvP will see a revival in STO. Once, even though it was broken in many ways, the knowledge gap was the only barrier between the casual player and the PvP fan. The Sad Pandas proved this in Season 5 by creating the Cubs fleet and filling it with players who went on to become active, successful PvPers after training under the eyes of some of the best players in the game. Now so many design decisions have created a time gap which, because new content will always be added, can never be overcome.