test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Profitable Crafting?

Recently I started to do a little crafting to try to get some equipment I'm after but the odds of getting decent mods is ... low - something like 2%. Out of curiosity is there any gear worth crafting to sell? From looking at the Exchange of late it looks like crafting material costs are fairly stable whilst gear prices for at least some schools have crashed.

Comments

• mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    I don't know how to make it profitable, but one note: A common tip for crafting is to craft only Mark II items, and see what mods you got. If they are decent ([Pen] is in demand), you can consider upgrading and/or selling them on the Exchange.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Superior Item Upgrades.

Craft Items at Level 2. You should be able to craft it at the Very Rare Level straight up. If starting Mods are not to your liking, you haven't wasted any Dilitium. You can apply an Upgrade or two to items with good Mods. Try to get a Quality Increase. Sell off unwanted Mod Items, either on the Exchange or to a Bartender.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • tarran61tarran61 Member Posts: 827 Arc User
    ltminns wrote: »
    Superior Item Upgrades.

Craft Items at Level 2. You should be able to craft it at the Very Rare Level straight up. If starting Mods are not to your liking, you haven't wasted any Dilitium. You can apply an Upgrade or two to items with good Mods. Try to get a Quality Increase. Sell off unwanted Mod Items, either on the Exchange or to a Bartender.

Agree, Im made over 400 ship beam arrays, only kept around 20. Some I sold on the exchange, some I sold while getting drunk at the bar. Pro-tip, bank the good beams before heading to the bar.
    Positive thoughts.
    NeAC.gif
  • taylor1701dtaylor1701d Member Posts: 3,099 Arc User
    edited May 2017
    If you want a set of perfect modded weapons, be prepared to craft upwords of 2000 MkII's.

That's about the average its taken for both my Disruptor and AP weapon sets.

It wouldn't be so bad if you could pick the 4th mod..

Basically if you've got 10 MkII's with CrtDx2 [Pen] or Dmgx2 [Pen]
    On quality upgrade you might get lucky and pull 1 or 2 CrtDx3 [Pen] or dmgx3 [Pen] out of the 10 beams you started with.

The rest will either get Acc/CrtH or the inverse of what you wanted; IE: CrtDx2 DMG [Pen] or conversely Dmgx2 CrtD [Pen]

If you have OCD for weapon mods, crafting is not your friend.
    But its the only way unless you want to pay 40+mil for a single perfect modded beam.

[img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
  • jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    Crafting can be profitable, but I do not craft to make a profit. I craft items with the intent to get gear that I want to upgrade. I am not a min / maxer, but when I craft things I am specific looking for certain mods. Most of the very rare Mk II items I have crafted I consider worthless due to the random mods they have. I may try to list them on the Exchange, but most of the time I simply sell the "trash" to the vendors.

As an example, I crafted some very rare Photon Torpedo Launchers Mk II with [CrtD]x2 [Dmg] during the last Double Tech Point Upgrade Weekend. I listed them on the Exchange for around 1m to 1.5m EC which was lower than what everyone was selling them for. I sold all but two of them which I have simply been holding on to for the moment because they are currently being sold for 100k EC or less.

On the other hand, at the same time I during the event, I crafted a very rare Plasma Turrent Mk II [CrtD]x2 [Pen] which no one purchased during the event. I kept is around and relisted it on the Exchange from time to time. It finally sold last night for 8.5m EC. I was specifically trying to craft 3 plasma turrets with [CrtD]x2 [Rapid]; I had to craft over 150 plasma turrets to get those mods. The vast majority of turrets were simply sold to the vendor.
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    With the randomness of the buffs, it'd be nice if there was something like WoW's disenchant to get something worthwhile out of them. Of course, knowing Cryptic, those returns would be worth less than just vendoring the thing. :D
  • nickodaemusnickodaemus Member Posts: 711 Arc User
    I'd like to see us being able to break gear for mats, and a more certain method of getting specific mods.
  • lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    ltminns wrote: »
    Superior Item Upgrades.

This ^

I paid 200k for a lvl 2 vr kit module that I'm gonna hammer so hard when upgrade weekend gets here. I paid 2k for the green mk12 version of it I've been using.
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,005 Community Moderator
    edited May 2017
    Superior Tech Upgrades, specifically beam and cannon, tend to be pretty steady. Experimentals are even better if you got the Salvage Tech.

In my experience, you typically average about 100k ECs per Superior Beam Tech, and up to 400-500k per Experimental. Still fluctuates though, especially on an upgrade weekend, but its a bit more of a sure thing than praying to the Random Number Gods for desirable mods on a mk II. Just... stockpile Rhubidium though. You will be using A LOT.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • tacticalrooktacticalrook Member Posts: 810 Arc User
    Mk II crafting is not really something that is very useful to do on a small scale. Mass-producing Mk II pieces is essentially a way of converting your grind time into things with value that you can sell to other players, since the EC cost of production is so low compared to the expected return.

It's still a viable form of crafting primarily because very few people bother to learn how to efficiently mass-produce things in STO, most folks assume it's too much work or too time consuming and don't even bother to figure it out. Out of the folks who know how it's done, few actually bother to do it - usually because they feel it doesn't sound "fun" enough.

It's one of those weird situations where a very lucrative opportunity exists but few people have the self-motivation needed to take advantage of it, preferring instead of toil away with more mundane/"fun" enterprises that pay very little because everyone else is doing the same thing.
    /channel_join grind
  • saber1973asaber1973a Member Posts: 1,224 Arc User
    edited May 2017
    It maybe also because the crafted weapons are only in basic flawors: plasma, phasers, disruptors, tetryon, polaron, antiproton for beams and plasma, photon, quantum, chroniton, tricobalt (i think it was) for projectiles... if someone want corrosive plasma, phased biomater, agony phaser, radiant antiproton, or whatever - there is no way to craft it - so it's lockboxes, reputation or mission gear for me personally...
    With the randomness of the buffs, it'd be nice if there was something like WoW's disenchant to get something worthwhile out of them. Of course, knowing Cryptic, those returns would be worth less than just vendoring the thing. :D

Reminds me;
    In Diablo 3 you can take an item and re roll 1 mod/affix as many times as you want, until you get what you want.

However the cost rises with each re-roll. It make take you 10-15 re-rolls to get what you wanted.
    But its there if you've got a great Legendary with 1 mod that you don't like.

I don't really play D3 anymore though. Very disappointing game in comparison to D2 LoD or even D2 Classic.
    [img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,005 Community Moderator
    They're gonna be adding the Necromancer soon to D3.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,279 Arc User
    rise, my minions! rise and feast on the flesh of the living! (or in this case, the forces of hell)​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • lapprenticellapprenticel Member Posts: 254 Arc User
    You mean Diablo right? D3 was an FPS\starship game. I've heard rumours D4 is in the works but not sure the details.
    rattler2 wrote: »

• asuran14asuran14 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    Honestly i like idea of being able to craft specific sub-types of weapons, and focusing on specific mods to be gotten on crafting/upgrading. Like having a catalyst system that you can craft in the system in the case of a catalyst that would give you a higher chance to proc the mod you want, or a catalyst that you can gain from the different lockboxes allowing you to add the weapon/energy sub-type mod that came in that lockbox to the item you are crafting/upgrading.

Though i will say I would not mind even seeing some R&D patterns added to both the loot drop tables in the game, as well as the lockbox table you can learn to make different items in the game. Which could be specific patterns that allow you to make weapons that use specific visuals, to unique hard to find items, or even pets you could craft (like hanger pets for instance.).
  • xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
    the sad thing about crafting in STO, as well as many current theme park MMOs is that it is not designed to be a part of any sort of real economic system whereby players can make a profit by devoting themselves to the system. In fact, it is not really designed around the notion of you crafting gear for others, but rather for you to craft gear for yourself as an alternate means of getting it.

Not critizising, just curiosity, since I don't see it working differently: how would you make an "economy based" crafting system without cutting heavily into players options? You could heavily limit what a toon can craft by using the career path as a limitation, but players could still use different careers for their toons to circumvent that. In (economic) theory, the moment a system gets extremely profitable, players will start flocking around it and bring the selling price down, or not buy it and prefer to make stuff themselves.

Personally, I am willing to pay somewhat good money to avoid having to invest into crafting myself, which I am not really interested in. Also the "one mod away from perfect" items are dirt cheap and in the end usually not bad at all.
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
    rattler2 wrote: »

Yeah I saw that Rattler.

Might dip my toe back in when that gets released.
    [img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
    edited May 2017
    Conductive RCS Accelerator
    Exotic Particle Field Exciter

Go for EPS or EPG mods, each of these sells for 100 million and up, but will take ages to get them, no idea if it's profitable but probably with those sorts of prices.

Can be yeah...
    Unless you get a brutal unlucky streak going... At one point I was trying to make RCS with {EPS}.
    Took me 32 attempts to get one lol

I stopped trying after that :tongue:
    Nearly bankrupted me. They're not exactly cheap to craft, so I can understand the 100+mil price tag.

Another hot sellers in the RCS/Particle Exciter market is [RES ALL]
    Granted they don't fetch 100 mil, but you can easily snag 20-40 mil for one. Sold one a week or two ago for like 25 I think...

Perhaps even the [+Weapons power] or [+Aux power] might fetch decent profits now days with the balance changes to leech and subsystem power levels.... But I've not looked at this specifically since the changes.
    [img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg