test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

ARC & STO programs being a CPU hog

Just noticed this and am wondering if it is a wide spread problem. When trying to play Star Trek Online the past few days, may even be a few weeks, I have notice decrease performance. Frame rate seems to be struggling real bad, and when I have to select something by clicking it I have to double or triple click it to get it to work. I assume that I have to do this as most of the clicks happen when the game is stalled. So I was looking in my task manager and notice all the programs running in association with ARC. I counted 7 ArcOSBrowser.exe running these seem us anywhere from 5 to 15 % CPU, but not constantly. One will use 5% for a few seconds while another will jump up to 15%. Now here's the kicker, when playing STO two ArcOSOverlay.exe starts running. It will use 45% CPU constantly while playing. The Gameclient.exe also runs using 15%. In total my CPU to run STO runs from 65% jumping up to 85% for short bursts. Now my computer isn't the best and not the worst, but It shouldn't be using nearly all of it's processing power to run ARC and STO.

Comments

• angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    Try to play STO without ARC and see if the performance increases. If not the problem is with your computer I'd say.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • gholendhorgholendhor Member Posts: 447 Arc User
    Update, I shutdown everything that didn't need to be running and STO and ARC are using 100% CPU.What the hell is going on? My computer has 8 GB Ram, AMD Athlon(tm) II X2 245 processor 2.90 GHz, and a Nividia GT 520.
  • gholendhorgholendhor Member Posts: 447 Arc User
    Well, I launched the game with Steam, and low and behold CPU maxed out at 31%. Will some one please tell me why ARC is being such a hog. 100% CPU to launch through ARC, I'm about ready to uninstall all ARC games and bail, even with the niffty ARC Zen bonuses. That seems to be the only thing ARC is good for now.
  • arionisaarionisa Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
    I launch the game without Steam or Arc and amazingly, Arc and Steam both use 0% of my CPU.......
    LTS and loving it.
    Ariotex.png