test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Beating a dead horse - Captain as highest endgame rank.

Comments

• Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    sophlogimo wrote: »
    azrael605 wrote: »
    I have not seen any hostility.

You mean "obsessive nitpickers", for a very recent example, is supposed to be meant in a friendly way?

And I suppose you have claim to proof that nobody on these forums is a nitpicker? :/
  • Options
    wendysue53wendysue53 Member Posts: 1,569 Arc User

This game is marketed as Star Trek. Star Trek heros are captains (or sometimes other leading officers on a ship). Admirals do not fit the pattern, with one exception, which was a man who later had to admit that becoming an admiral was a bad decision in the first place. So from the marketing perspective, it should be clear.

Not actually true. Admirals and Diplomats often hold hire ranks and a more central focus in many shows you may have seen. Star Trek heroes are whoever is the main character of the particular episode or story your reading/watching/playing. The Captain most often is more of a side character who just helps to pose the main issue, then the other 'heroes' pursue the arc of the storyline and you may or may not even see the Captain until the end of the episode/book/game. Look at the new series for example: nearly removes the Captain from your equation completely, as it does not focus on that person as the 'hero' - for the entire show - not just an episode. That's one of the big points of the show, as it's been said in interviews.
    If you are asking for personal motivation: The solution to be called a title of my own choosing, be it Captain, Privateer, or Moist, adds to the illusion that different characters are in fact distinct individuals. I can play around with the game a lot more that way. Individuality is king. But if I had to choose ONE title for all player characters, it would have to be Captain, because it is not only the most Star Trek title there is, but also the one having the most varied meanings: A captain can be a Starfleet officer, a pirate, a merchant captain, a mercenary, a cook who happens to own a star ship...

bad idea, as this goes against the game itself... We've already discussed most of the titles you're referring to in other threads about Factions, story arcs, and other things.
    (That is by the way also the reason why I was disappointed they took the exploration clusters away. Those semi-randomly generated missions may not have been high quality, but they gave me the chance to have my own story with a given character. I hope they bring something like this back.)

it had problems.
    Also, note the hostility of the opposers here, who would loose nothing but the ability to look down on people for expressing a wish.

What hostility? It's been a flat discussion so far, except for some of the comment you've made. If you read it logically and ignore your own feelings (which will make things seem hostile when they aren't if you've set your mind against any other view points, much the same as a religious zealot), and actually just listen to what people are stating with a logical mind, then you'll see there is no hostility. You're just being exceptionally defensive...
  • Options
    warpangel wrote: »
    [...]
    And I suppose you have claim to proof that nobody on these forums is a nitpicker? :/

No, but I have proof that expressing the same throught in a more polite way is pretty much standard among gentlebeings.
    What is the polite standard way of noting the fact that some people like to complain for the sake of complaining?

And why do you care so much?
  • Options
    wendysue53wendysue53 Member Posts: 1,569 Arc User
    sorta like counting and someone putting a number in the wrong place. or one of those peg tests where you have to put a square peg in a round hole.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    Thats no more hostility than your own comments about people being silly soph.

That is a lot more. Calling a behaviour silly attacks the behaviour, calling a person an "obsessive nitpicker" attacks the person.
    I did not call any person an obsessive nitpicker. I merely noted that obsessive nitpickers exist.
    So let's stay on topic instead: Player-chosen title seems like the best of all worlds, but if a majority of people still think it wouldn't be worth the effort, how about just leaving out any references to rank in future mission dialogue?
    Well, that is what the voiceovers already do.

I suppose that would solve the problem of the few people who just hate to be addressed as "admiral," but do nothing for the rest of the players. And unlike player-chosen titles, where players who do like "admiral" could still choose to use it, this would be a negative for some players. So if using the custom title fails because most players don't care, not being addressed at all would necessarly fail for the exact same reason and more.

And since the people who say it would be too much effort are just guessing to begin with, we don't actually know if removing the <insert rank here> tags from the text would be any less effort than changing it to use a custom title. Personally, I'd expect it to be more effort, because removing the title completely they'd then have to manually fix any punctuation, etc in the affected sentences whereas simply switching in a different title that would not be necessary.
  • Options
    bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited December 2016
    nephitis wrote: »
    For the sake of the discussion... let's just say it is an easy fix so everyone can move on.
    Instead, let's discuss as to why Cryptic should even bother with, what I would consider, a rather insignificant and trivial matter.

Why is this so important to some players?

some people are irked by trifling details even if they are inconsequential to the overall experience and just cant use their imagination to invent a scenario where these peculiarity's of the game fit in with how they think it should be.

That's unnecessarily harsh. The fact is, some people here are seriously dedicated Star Trek fans and that's why they're here, to enjoy an interactive Star Trek experience. Other people are gamers who heard about the latest MMO or whatever, and play it in rotation with any number of other games. The former are certain to care about setting and canon details, geeking out about all the little immersive things that make the game align with the IP, and the latter are far more likely to not care about such things as long as the game is fun. If you're in the latter category that's fine, more power to you if you've never even seen a Star Trek episode and just enjoy the game for what it is, but that doesn't mean the people here for the IP and care about its canon are wrong or bad.

There are solid reasons behind the claims that making the player characters Admirals is inconsistent with Star Trek established canon and internal logic. People who are here for the IP have the right to care about such things, and it's not cool for you to be dismissive of them and condescending to them. If you don't care, why are you in opposition? You're borderline trolling at this point, and that's not cool. Please stop it.​​

your quite right of course "some people here are seriously dedicated Star Trek fans" of course you could not possibly class me as one of those.

v3koew.jpg

w8ap90.jpg
    @darthmeow504

You neglected to consider a third category. That being long time Trek fans who do not particularly care about this "issue" because (A) they do not see often changing canon as anything special or (B) they are not members of the Church of Gene.

well said, as if some tiny thing like this could possibly spoil my enjoyment of the best star trek game I have ever played online or off.

now don't get me wrong, I would completely support a feature where players could choose their title if it was added and believe it would make the game a lot more enjoyable all round if they made this change, its just that this is not particularly a glairing issue to me and I can use my imagination to create any number of storys as to why these little things crop up now and then.
    its just a matter of anything that doesn't quite fit with how it should be in "canon" use your imagination to invent your own backstory so it does fit.

similar to the way they explained the differences in appearance of TOS Klingons and Klingons from the movies and TNG onwards in the Enterprise episodes "Affliction" & "Divergence".
    Post edited by bobbydazlers on

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• Options
    nephitisnephitis Member Posts: 456 Arc User
    Exactly... kinda like how the Star Wars Episode 7 - Force Awakens characters Rey and Kylo Ren should probably be called Jaina and Jacen Solo... and the fact that a better name for the movie would probably be Force Reawakens.

But these things never stopped me from enjoying this movie and the continued Star Wars saga.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    Exactly... kinda like how the Star Wars Episode 7 - Force Awakens characters Rey and Kylo Ren should probably be called Jaina and Jacen Solo... and the fact that a better name for the movie would probably be Force Reawakens.

But these things never stopped me from enjoying this movie and the continued Star Wars saga.

don't get me started with plot holes in star wars like how Luke Skywalker was placed with his aunt and uncle Beru and Owen Lars to keep him hidden but nobody thought to change his surname to Lars to hide his identity.

• Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User

They're not gonna use those names because then the fans would expect them to actually follow their stories from the books. By NOT using those names they can change whatever they want, or not.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    whamhammer1whamhammer1 Member Posts: 2,290 Arc User
    Just to put my 2 dil' in:

I am fine with having players with Admiral ranks commanding a starship.

Each of my characters are primary force behind saving the universe a billion times from threats, such as the Borg, the Undine, and the Iconians. Each of them helped the Romulan Republic solidify its position as a legitimate state in the our area of space, and made it a friend and ally of their factions home state. Each character has traveled back and forth, through time, and worked to correct time abhorrence's. These characters have earned the maximum rank possible, and have shown that they have the knowledge and latitude of authority that the ranks present. My character isn't Archer, Kirk, , Picard, Sisko, Janeway, or even Shon, they have made their own paths, and have found a way to reconcile their ranks and duties while keeping singular command. It by no means, diminished my "Star Trek immersion".

If Starfleet sees fit to allow the character to be "Johnny=on-the-spot", and gives them the rank and the authority, without forcing them behind a desk (which in game Starfleet has not put any of them behind a desk), then its with the understanding that having a flag-ranked officer with that flexibility was deemed helpful, beneficial, and appropriate. My characters are Fleet Admiral's "at-large".

As far as the other players of the game go, each one doesn't exist as the center of my characters' universe, and only exist when I truly interact with them, maybe they are of a similar caliber to mine, maybe they under some grand cover as a Fleet Admiral but not really, maybe they are from one of the other realities that are out there, and accidentally slipped into mine, it doesn't really matter, they will soon begone once contact with them is ended. There aren't five million Fleet Admirals, and Dahar Masters commanding individual starships in my characters reality, at one time, because those other characters are in their own realities.

As far as my character getting orders from lower ranking officers, it would happen if they were just Captains, there are Captain level missions where Commanders, and lower relay orders, or duties to my characters. In the real military, a company commander (O3 Captain) could get orders to engage a target from a Lieutenant, or a Sergeant, if that lower ranked persons specialty placed them in a position of knowledge, and/or authority (ie. staffing C4 operations), not all Generals have time to plan and track every unit, every maneuver, and contact every officer in their command that are a grade lower in rank.

I do take extreme exception to the suggestion that those players who do not align themselves with the convention that is proposed at the beginning of this thread are "casual fans", or any other designation that degrades, or assumes a degree of inferiority of fandom, by those who hold the OP's point of view. No one here has a higher authority, on what a "true Star Trek fan" is, and an attempt to do so, is a crutch, and a sign of someones inability to deal with another fans point of view, which truly does not garner respect of any, thinking, community.

Even more so, I find it incredulous that when someone disagrees, no matter if they have a treatise written up as to why they object with the convention, or they simply say "because it's nitpicking/waste of resources", the disagreeing person is said to be "trolling", or something along those lines, both examples of statements are valid opinions.

When it comes to my recommended solution, should Cryptic decide to take the issue up, and find it worthy of the expenditure of the required effort, is to have an area that allows a player to chose what rank that the player has earned they wish to be addressed by. I say "should" because I agree with those that say that the effort to do so would be more than the proponents believe it would take for the programming but also for the associated support, administrative, and opportunity costs (the costs/opportunities lost of forgoing another effort in favor of the proposed).

Guys, you've made how long in this game without going catatonic over a semantics "issue" in the game without your brains imploding, I think that you can walk it off, and enjoy the game again.
  • Options
    As far as my character getting orders from lower ranking officers, it would happen if they were just Captains, there are Captain level missions where Commanders, and lower relay orders, or duties to my characters. In the real military, a company commander (O3 Captain) could get orders to engage a target from a Lieutenant, or a Sergeant, if that lower ranked persons specialty placed them in a position of knowledge, and/or authority (ie. staffing C4 operations), not all Generals have time to plan and track every unit, every maneuver, and contact every officer in their command that are a grade lower in rank.
    Also, it's good to remember how often the lower ranking individual is just a messenger.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    I specifically said it was perfectly fine for people who aren't Trek fans at all or whom are only casual fans to enjoy this game as just another space MMO like any other. You don't have to be dedicated to Trek to be welcome here, but it does help understand it better and enjoy it more. I did NOT intend any insult to those who don't care about canon details, what I did was question why they care to oppose a suggestion like this if it truly doesn't matter to them. It seems like they're trolling those who care, otherwise why are they even bothering to comment on something they say they don't care about? It seems like a waste of time and nothing but raining on other people's parade.

I'm not talking about people who object to the idea for a good reason, I'm talking about the ones who say "This is stupid nobody cares but you stop asking". I feel those people should act according to their stated lack of care and keep scrolling. Being negative to things other people care about when it doesn't matter to you is a very rude thing to do.

So can we please discuss this on its merits or lack thereof, and not try to rudely dismiss the issue? Clearly it's something that bothers people, as this topic comes up again and again. There are solid reasons why it matters to fans.

I strongly believe that Captain should be the default title for every player character. One, it's consistent with every Star Trek hero, from Kirk to Picard to Janeway with the only major exception making a significant plot point about how accepting promotion to Admiral was a mistake and that starship Captains should never do it. The game forces us to ignore his advice and repeat his mistake. It forces us to break with the heroes of the shows and movies that form the core of what Star Trek is, who inspired us to love Trek in the first place. We came here to play in the mold of our favorite Captain, or to make our own record of awesome as a new hero Captain. We didn't come here to be Admirals, because with one exception Star Trek heroes were never Admirals. The only one that was says it was a mistake to become an Admiral and proceeded to get himself busted back down to Captain to be happy again. We have EVERY reason to want our characters to be Captains and every reason that it makes perfect sense for the Star Trek IP to have the main characters be Captains.

Secondly, as it's been pointed out, Captain is a catch-all term for anyone who commands a ship regardless of their actual rank. Thus, it makes perfect sense that our starship commanding characters be referred to that way. In fact, Cryptic already does this! In all communications they call us "Captains", as in "Attention Captains we are about to start server maintenance" or "Attention all Captains, our new Featured Episode is now live!". It makes perfect sense for our characters to be referred to that way in-game as well.​​

as it happens I haven't seen anyone actually "oppose" a feature where you cant use the title you prefer, all I have seen is people who have said it might not be that easy to implement for in game NPC's to recognise this and at the time they made the Admiral rank and it was implemented it was necessary to make the player feel they were progressing during gameplay and its not that big an issue to them.
    as I have stated there is also easy to invent many ways to explain in your own mind how yes at this point in time an Admiral could be commanding a star ship so it makes this seem less of an issue.
    even in the devs eyes just because we have the rank Admiral does not necessarily stop us from being called captains as you point out they often use this term to address us, its just a matter of choosing the title captain and not being bothered just because some NPC's refers to us by our actual rank rather then our chosen title as it is nothing to get in a snit about.

I don't know about you but I was referred to as many ranks while I was levelling up although for most of that time I was in command of a star ship and in my mind I was a captain and still am.
    it is obviously the case that even in the devs eyes we are still captians regardless of our actual game rank and I cant see why its so hard for anyone to think this way.

• Options
    nephitisnephitis Member Posts: 456 Arc User
    Let me ask another question. Does anyone truly read all the text in the dialog boxes? And that over and over for repeated play?
    I only read it once for my first mission playthrough.

And since we are talking about immersion. How immersive is it to read dialog boxes in MMOs as opposed to actual voice acting. Yes, STO has been adding voiced dialogs for missions since the Delta expansion. But even so, I listen to them once and after that I just play the game muted while listening to music or something else.

Of course, I can admit that this is just something that I do and that many players probably play with audio enabled. I just personally find it annoying to hear all the pow pow after so many years of playing.

But what I think is even more important to add than "Captain" in every dialog is a quick way to enable and disable audio like in SWTOR. In that game you just have to press let's say CTRL + S to turn on and off audio. With STO you have to navigate through menus and move sliders to enable audio.

It would be nice to being able to enable audio for that extra immersion whenever you feel like hearing the game sounds.
  • Options
    I specifically said it was perfectly fine for people who aren't Trek fans at all or whom are only casual fans to enjoy this game as just another space MMO like any other. You don't have to be dedicated to Trek to be welcome here, but it does help understand it better and enjoy it more. I did NOT intend any insult to those who don't care about canon details, what I did was question why they care to oppose a suggestion like this if it truly doesn't matter to them. It seems like they're trolling those who care, otherwise why are they even bothering to comment on something they say they don't care about? It seems like a waste of time and nothing but raining on other people's parade.

I'm not talking about people who object to the idea for a good reason, I'm talking about the ones who say "This is stupid nobody cares but you stop asking". I feel those people should act according to their stated lack of care and keep scrolling. Being negative to things other people care about when it doesn't matter to you is a very rude thing to do.

So can we please discuss this on its merits or lack thereof, and not try to rudely dismiss the issue? Clearly it's something that bothers people, as this topic comes up again and again. There are solid reasons why it matters to fans.

I strongly believe that Captain should be the default title for every player character. One, it's consistent with every Star Trek hero, from Kirk to Picard to Janeway with the only major exception making a significant plot point about how accepting promotion to Admiral was a mistake and that starship Captains should never do it. The game forces us to ignore his advice and repeat his mistake. It forces us to break with the heroes of the shows and movies that form the core of what Star Trek is, who inspired us to love Trek in the first place. We came here to play in the mold of our favorite Captain, or to make our own record of awesome as a new hero Captain. We didn't come here to be Admirals, because with one exception Star Trek heroes were never Admirals. The only one that was says it was a mistake to become an Admiral and proceeded to get himself busted back down to Captain to be happy again. We have EVERY reason to want our characters to be Captains and every reason that it makes perfect sense for the Star Trek IP to have the main characters be Captains.

Secondly, as it's been pointed out, Captain is a catch-all term for anyone who commands a ship regardless of their actual rank. Thus, it makes perfect sense that our starship commanding characters be referred to that way. In fact, Cryptic already does this! In all communications they call us "Captains", as in "Attention Captains we are about to start server maintenance" or "Attention all Captains, our new Featured Episode is now live!". It makes perfect sense for our characters to be referred to that way in-game as well.​​

as it happens I haven't seen anyone actually "oppose" a feature where you cant use the title you prefer, all I have seen is people who have said it might not be that easy to implement for in game NPC's to recognise this and at the time they made the Admiral rank and it was implemented it was necessary to make the player feel they were progressing during gameplay and its not that big an issue to them.

There were some people early in the thread objecting that others might choose a title they don't approve of. Because they apparently think it would ruin the game forever if an NPC called some player they don't know "Moist." In text they can't even see.

Those always show up in character customization threads.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    also, I don't think it'd be a good thing if the devs made it so you were stuck with NPCs calling you by your title. That'd be a nice option, but I never use ranks as titles, and "Bane of the Tal'Shiar" seems like something that'd be awkward in conversations...

then there's Praetor. :D people joke about being promoted to president of the universe..... Well... the Praetor title is for the head of the imperial military.... of the RSE. The Feds, KDF, and Republic don't use that title.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    also, I don't think it'd be a good thing if the devs made it so you were stuck with NPCs calling you by your title. That'd be a nice option, but I never use ranks as titles, and "Bane of the Tal'Shiar" seems like something that'd be awkward in conversations...

While having a separate title option for NPC address and player display would be possible, the question of why remains unanswered. Why would you choose a title you don't want to be known by?