test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

"Only open to residents of the United States."

Comments

• meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,587 Arc User
    valoreah wrote: »
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    No, it isn't. But there are still things worth being surprised over, other than end-of-the-world events. And making this so blatently an 'America-only' thing really *did* catch me by surprise, for what really is an international game.

N.B. And no, I'm not angry; nor even upset (chances of winning any of these, being a US citizen or no, are remotely slim as it is). Just surprised.

Fair enough. I just don't see this as all that big of a deal to be honest. It also assumes there are not any legal reasons why this cannot be offered outside the US. It may very well be outside Cryptic's control.

Mood translates badly over the Internet, as it really was/is far less of an issue for me than my OP my have suggested. And it would appear people spent a lot more energy into responding than I did thinking about it beforehand. Legal issues, I get it now. And honestly, it's okay. :)
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • chozoelder2ndchozoelder2nd Member Posts: 440 Arc User
    Really, Cryptic?! Not that I'm interested in any of the stuff in the U.S.S. Enterprise NCC-1701-E Giveaway!, but seriously!? What's next, you're gonna build a great space wall, and let all foreigners pay for it?!

Nha Nha Nha! this is the trump effect LOOOL

Yeah, LOL; good thing I'm not Mexican. :P

Please stop...
    SP9Pu.gif
  • ssbn655ssbn655 Member Posts: 1,894 Arc User
    edited November 2016
    Really, Cryptic?! Not that I'm interested in any of the stuff in the U.S.S. Enterprise NCC-1701-E Giveaway!, but seriously!? What's next, you're gonna build a great space wall, and let all foreigners pay for it?!

Oh get over it if you have a issue take it up with your government. Besides that STO and CBS are U.S. based companies. Be grateful you are allowed to play a U.S. based game by your nation.
  • admiralkogaradmiralkogar Member Posts: 875 Arc User
    Because, like I said, it's not the stuff care about, but the blatent exclusion. That's rather new, even for Cryptic. They have a player base outside of the USA too, you know!?

Ok, so? It's not like it's the end of the world.

Nope! The end of the world is like this ... "EEEEEK! AAAAAH! OMG save MEEEE!" and stuff, with explosions, and the amplified, echoing voice of either omnipotent aliens or god(s) or Morgan Freeman!

None of that stuff is going to happen because of this! For shure! ;)

Besides I get blatantly excluded all the time. Isn't it someone else's turn yet?

Qapla!
  • admiralkogaradmiralkogar Member Posts: 875 Arc User
    My, a lot of reactions. :) They sent me physical stuff before (but that was for being, erm, a 'loyal customer', and not a lottery, in a legal sense, although it amazingly looked like one). But I suppose sweep stakes are different. Not a biggie, really. For future reference, though, I hope US-Only is not going to become a trend, as it felt kinda rude.

I wouldn't worry about it. Some exclusions always ally, and sometimes it goes the other way. I think the drinking age in Canada is lower than in the USA, for example. That would tick some people off. ;)

Qapla!
  • officerbatman81officerbatman81 Member Posts: 2,761 Arc User
    There are some frighteningly overly sensitive people here that need to relax and get over themselves. Like the 5th person above me.
  • dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    Foreigners just need to get the chips off their shoulders. Their complaint needs to be with international sweepstakes and lottery laws not with cryptic or star trek or even the good 'ol U.S. of A.

Given the fact that a similar giveaway involving five (or was it three?) Valiants was open to everyone, I think we can all safely assume that this has nothing to do with laws and everything to do with shipping costs. As for why they don't just give an equivalent amount of Zen, the answer is probably that it doesn't do WizKids a lot of good if "they" are giving away a Perfect World item. (Not to mention the fact that they already have to get rid of the Ent-E packs - giving away Zen isn't going to magically make their allotment of Enterprises go away.)

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    I have never understood why Cryptic participates in these things anyway. Giving away ships within the game or gear within the game which they own/control is something they can do without worrying about the varying laws all over the world. Adding their stuff to someone else's giveaway or contest, which then gets restricted to only part of the playerbase due to the other company's legal restrictions, isn't as smart a move as they think. If they cannot participate in a contest like this in all the countries where people play, they're not helping themselves or their brand as much as they think they are.

Reason? Threads like this pop up on the forum for the entirety of the contest likes weeds on the side of the road. Which generate hard feelings and ill will towards themselves and parts of the playerbase. I sincerely wish someone other than the accountants would examine the benefits of participating in contests like this one. Return On Investment sometimes cannot be measured in dollars.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    I have never understood why Cryptic participates in these things anyway. Giving away ships within the game or gear within the game which they own/control is something they can do without worrying about the varying laws all over the world. Adding their stuff to someone else's giveaway or contest, which then gets restricted to only part of the playerbase due to the other company's legal restrictions, isn't as smart a move as they think.
    What makes you think this was Cryptic's idea? This could have been CBS's idea for all we know.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • marcusdkanemarcusdkane Member Posts: 7,439 Arc User
    edited November 2016
    What makes you think this was Cryptic's idea? This could have been CBS's idea for all we know.

Don't try and talk sense to people. It confuses them. It's much easier to just blame Cryptic for everything.

To be fair, it's probably the safest bet any way ;) I mean, this is a games company, who can't issue updates and patches to its own game, without lousing something else up... :D

I have an Orion BOFF sitting on the floor, for Q's sake! Orion women are too fine to be sitting on the floor like students/protesters (Unless she is protesting something... *Makes mental note to have HR speak to Cmdr Sihna to ascertain any grievances she may have...*) Lag at the opening section of Stranded in Space now means that I can never make the remodulation in time, so I never get the full quota, while Every Other Particle Scan in the level works normally... And how do I know it's their fault? Well, other than the other scans all working normally, there's now some strange sound effect added to the space battles which sounds like a cat getting mauled, and the Class Name of the slave barge changed twice from one thing, to something less 'slavey', so I know that they've jigged the code for the level, and loused it up :D
  • zerokillcf2011zerokillcf2011 Member Posts: 545 Arc User
    So can anyone confirm that they actually won the giveaway? I saw 8000+ people did the retweet/like thing and supposedly 5 winners....can anyone confirm that people actually won?
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    So can anyone confirm that they actually won the giveaway? I saw 8000+ people did the retweet/like thing and supposedly 5 winners....can anyone confirm that people actually won?
    One of my friends won. :D Kinanra was happy. :p
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    edited November 2016

I can confirm that I did not win because I did not even bother with this giveaway.

I do not use Twitter.

Post edited by jaguarskx on
  • storulesstorules Member Posts: 3,253 Arc User
    Not sure what the OP is on about, the ship is available in 18 days in the UK

http://www.waylandgames.co.uk/wave-27/32284-star-trek-attack-wing-uss-enterprise-e

Just the "me" mentality that wants it yesterday.bear-2.gif​​
    tumblr_ncbngkt24X1ry46hlo1_400.gif
  • whamhammer1whamhammer1 Member Posts: 2,290 Arc User
    edited November 2016
    Non-US citizens, let your heart not be troubled, Cryptic is offering safe zones with kitty and puppy petting stations, Play-Dough, and milk and cookies to you for coping purposes. :)
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,501 Arc User
    Non-US citizens, let your heart not be troubled, Cryptic is offering safe zones with kitty and puppy petting stations, Play-Dough, and milk and cookies to you for coping purposes. :)

Too bad they're only available in California, USA :)

• thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    edited November 2016
    Don't try and talk sense to people. It confuses them. It's much easier to just blame Cryptic for everything.

I dunno, the code which allows someone to play the ship from WizKids in STO? Someone at Cryptic had to approve it.

Neither of you have ever been pointed out to anyone as someone who has a firm grip on the facts.
    Nor are either of you paragons of restraint and good judgement.

A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    So because you didn't win, nobody else could have possibly won? Did I get it right?
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User

I dunno, the code which allows someone to play the ship from WizKids in STO? Someone at Cryptic had to approve it.

Neither of you have ever been pointed out to anyone as someone who has a firm grip on the facts.
    Nor are either of you paragons of restraint and good judgement.

What makes you think Cryptic is able to approve of anything beyond developing the game? Cryptic needs approval from CBS to make sure that any new content fits CBS' vision of Star Trek. Cryptic needs approval from Paramount for anything related to the new Star Trek movies. Cryptic needs approval from PWE and CBS for any marketing, contests, and promotions.
  • warlordfennellwarlordfennell Member Posts: 61 Arc User

I really want to say something but I put myself on mute. Have a nice day.