test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Wineskin with 10/25 update

2»

Comments

• protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 3,104 Arc User
    edited November 2016
    From the October 28 Tribble test server patch notes: "Resolved an issue where Star Trek Online would not load for players playing with a Windows XP OS". This may help you with Crossover when the patch makes it to holodeck (Nov 3 Holodeck patch notes should be up later today). Edit: this fix is in the current holodeck patch notes for Nov 3.

There is another thread about STO and Wine arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline/#/discussion/1223898/sto-no-longer-runs-under-wine/p1 with some good advice.

The first thing that comes to mind is are you starting the game in safe mode (at least for the initial 1.6 and then subsequent 1.9.x startups)?

Post edited by protoneous on
  • void#4532 void Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    Thank you for the link and the reminders Protoneous. I had only used safe mode for the initial load. Then was trying to run under 1.6.2 wineskin without safe mode, just all setttings to the lowest. I could play but would generally crash out within ~15mins. I was trying fullscreen at the time.

Currently trying windowed with X11 vs mac driver.

Will take a look at that post and if not, will stick to safe mode!

Cheers,
  • protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 3,104 Arc User
    edited November 2016
    void#4532 wrote: »
    Thank you for the link and the reminders Protoneous. I had only used safe mode for the initial load. Then was trying to run under 1.6.2 wineskin without safe mode, just all setttings to the lowest. I could play but would generally crash out within ~15mins. I was trying fullscreen at the time.

Currently trying windowed with X11 vs mac driver.

Will take a look at that post and if not, will stick to safe mode!

Cheers,
    Hi void, I was only suggesting starting in safe mode for the initial load after changing your version of wine, or if your game crashes while loading. After that point, playing the game for a while and getting the best balance between quality and stability for your system in either full screen or windowed mode is the next step. My response was directed at @wypeacherman who's game was crashing upon loading.
    Ok, I've tried changing the wine version on POM to the following: 1.9.10-staging, 1.6.2, and 1.6 and the same thing happens: once I get the black Cryptic screen, it crashes.

• jansalljansall Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    I can confirm that you can get around the problem by copying the missing dll
    This is for wine on linux but the same works for Crossover on mac and i would guess wine
    Go the live server directory - ~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Cryptic Studios/Star Trek Online/Live
    copy D3DCompiler_42.dll to D3DCompiler_47.dll and restar the game and it runs.
    cd ~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Cryptic Studios/Star Trek Online/Live
    cp D3DCompiler_42.dll D3DCompiler_47.dll