Options

No text appears on any ingame button for Artifacts launch

Comments

• Options
    primewardprimeward Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    Add me to the list
  • Options
    burstdragon323burstdragon323 Member Posts: 853 Arc User
    Based on some tests I did, I suspect something in the update broke the D3D9 renderer.
  • Options
    reiklingraiderreiklingraider Member Posts: 209 Arc User
    edited October 2016
    Same for me AMD Radeon Sapphire HD 6770. Will try fixes stated here.

Safe mode worked for me but I have kit module problems with my main.
    Post edited by reiklingraider on
  • Options
    orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    Eh. I'll go play Champions Online till it's fixed or they tell us that our cards aren't supported any more.​​
  • Options
    stormturmoilstormturmoil Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    Same problem here for me as well: AMD HD 3200: it's older, but has always managed alright with middling settings.
    Now, I get No text on anything; Have tried safe mode, Force verify and altering/deleting Gameprefs. None of which has helped.
    The Game mostly starts now (was CTD-ing at first) but still no text on anything.

• Options
    triskytraertriskytraer Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    AMD HD 7000 series - No font text - plz add my account to the fix.
  • Options
    dylantrinidydylantrinidy Member Posts: 313 Arc User
    same here
  • Options
    christopher082christopher082 Member Posts: 67 Arc User
    I had the same problems. AMD Radeon HD 5700. Thankfully the safe mode then normal fix worked for me. Seems like the new lights don't like AMD cards.
  • Options
    toivatoiva Member Posts: 3,276 Arc User
    The safe mode route seems to have fixed the 'no text' issue for me.

That said, all my graphics settings are completely all over the place and the game keeps crashing the moment I start fiddling with them in the attemp to set them to my previous values.
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.
    Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var, Tevra, T'Vira, To'Vrak: Give us Asylums for Romulans.

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
  • Options
    admiralwuffadmiralwuff Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    kurgis1 wrote: »
    [–]drogyn1701 [score hidden] 4 minutes ago
    Start the game in Safe Mode from the launcher. That will fix it, and the text will be back when you go back to Normal Mode as well.
    permalinkembedparent
    [–]DanPMK [score hidden] 2 minutes ago
    Made a reddit account to post this since I was afraid this would happen: When I tried this update on Tribble, all my game text was invisible as well. OS and Videocard drivers were fully updated. After poking around for a bit, I fixed it by doing the following:
    0) Close STO
    1) Go to your "Star Trek Online\Live\Localdata" folder and open Gameprefs.Pref
    2) Find the line "PrefEntry GfxSettings.DeviceType Direct3D9"
    3) Delete Direct3D9, so the line now reads "PrefEntry GfxSettings.DeviceType"
    4) Relaunch the game, see if it fixed.
    That totally fixed the issue for me on Tribble, and now again on holodeck. It may be misreading the config file for some reason vis-à-vis DirectX settings

All from Reddit - off to try them

That did it! Thank you. :smile:
  • Options
    theymightberenotheymightbereno Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    Launching the game into safe mode worked for me. Had the text in safe mode, logged out and back in normally and my text was there.
  • Options
    hullkenhullken Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    I was running in fullscreen mode. unchecked the 'full' box and text came back for me
  • Options
    rgmufc1rgmufc1 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    Hello, i have AMD R9 270 and i have the same problem as you.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Ok i guess safe mode did the trick. When i wentback to normal mode again no words only blank "boxes".
  • Options
    freakiumfreakium Member Posts: 431 Arc User
    edited October 2016
    For those that missed the edit of my original post, here it is again for those of us that can't use DX11.

A variant of the suggestion by /r/DanPMK over on Reddit so I copy/pasted/edited his suggestion.
    • Go to your "Star Trek Online\Live\Localdata" folder and open Gameprefs.Pref (in Notepad, Wordpad, or other word processor.)
    • Find the line:
      PrefEntry GfxSettings.DeviceType

(Anything after DeviceType on this line will be replaced in the next step)
    • Edit the entire line so it now reads:
      PrefEntry GfxSettings.DeviceType Direct3D11

• On your launcher, go to Options and under the Command Line option, type
      -d3d9enable 1

into the box. Remember to hit the save button.

DX11 is too good for our aging duotronic GFX cards. Good luck and have fun! :)

Edited for clarity.
    Post edited by freakium on
    m12Pkoj.png
  • Options
    kwyjenkwyjen Member Posts: 133 Arc User
    I have logged in twice.. There are numerous missing things.. No text.. can not see any of my characters names on the character selection at the beginning , can not see any chat in chat window, or tab names. My ship tray is missing numerous items, do no see my weapons same on ground items, bank , etc. When I select options, from memory as I have been in game for 4+yrs, I see the options window open, but there is nothing in it to select, adjust or click on. I could write a wall of what is missing after this patch, But I hope you get the gist of it. :/
  • Options
    Forgot to add I have AMD Radeon HD6700 series, and from reading this particular posting it seems the majority of us having this issue have a AMD card. :/
  • Options
    bloodyrizbloodyriz Member Posts: 1,756 Arc User
    AMD Radeon HD 6310 here, and no text. I can do the safe mode thing and I get the text and can start playing, but I then start locking up during random map transitions. Not enjoying this new improvement on graphics.​​
    signature.png
    We come in peace, SHOOT TO KILL!
  • Options
    exarch1701exarch1701 Member Posts: 71 Arc User
    Im able to log in normally now. Heres how I fixed it. It might work for you guys. Logged on in safe mode, reset all my options to default (the game will probably crash, dont panic), logged in normally, worked fine.
  • Options
    kurgis1 wrote: »
    Start the game in Safe Mode from the launcher. That will fix it, and the text will be back when you go back to Normal Mode as well.
    permalinkembedparent
    Made a reddit account to post this since I was afraid this would happen: When I tried this update on Tribble, all my game text was invisible as well. OS and Videocard drivers were fully updated. After poking around for a bit, I fixed it by doing the following:
    0) Close STO
    That totally fixed the issue for me on Tribble, and now again on holodeck. It may be misreading the config file for some reason vis-à-vis DirectX settings

All from Reddit - off to try them

OK did this one and things seem more stable than they were.​​
    signature.png
  • Options
    did the safe log in .. saw text logged out back in on normal seemed to fix it for me B)
  • Options
    Well I still get some random lock ups on map changes.​​
    signature.png
  • Options
    captainnightwingcaptainnightwing Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    Same issue for me. Tried safe mode, editing the prefs but to no avail. Radeon 7770 - Windows 10.
  • Options
    buster8855buster8855 Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    same problem here but safe mode is no text as well. and i am using dx11 and amd blue saphire
  • Options
    desdinova216desdinova216 Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    safemode worked for me
  • Options
    damocles2209damocles2209 Member Posts: 69 Arc User
    Safe mode works for the text, but the game freezes randomly on map changes. Shouldn't be having this issue, Cryptic. An AMD R9 290X is not an old card.
  • Options
    gerwalk0769gerwalk0769 Member Posts: 1,095 Arc User
    edited October 2016
    Can anyone offer any help or advice please?

I have a ATI Radeon 3000 graphics card (AMD processor). Not only are my graphics screwy but as originally posted there is no text in any of the color boxes.

I tried starting the game in Safe mode with no luck.

I read and noodled through the drogyn1701 instructions pasted below.

I checked the Gameprefs.Pref and there was no "PrefEntry GfxSettings.DeviceType Direct3D9" line.

Instead "PrefEntry GfxSettings.DeviceType" is the line I see.

I think using DX11 led to graphic trouble when I switched from Win 7 to Win 10 in July 2016, although I might have used DX11 with Win 7. Once I am able to see text I can fiddle with graphics options to see what works; I'm pretty illiterate when it comes to computers.

So what us my next step, should I aim for DX9, and how do I do it? Thanks for the help, time and attention.

permalinkembedparent
    0) Close STO

Joined STO in September 2010.
  • Options
    erbe85erbe85 Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    All those funny looking huuman hiroglyphes disappeared...

Using an CPU-integrated AMD HD 7660D

*sad cat*
    Scratch my back or I scratch ya faze! ]:-[
  • Options
    vic18t#7467 vic18t Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    Having the same issues. Safe mode does bring the text back but puts the game into DX11 which makes things unstable. The command line "-d3d9enable 1" also makes things slow and unstable for me.

On top of that my gfx cards heats up very fast now. R9 295x2.
  • Options
    > @freakium said:
    > For those that missed the edit of my original post, here it is again for those of us that can't use DX11.
    >
    > A variant of the suggestion by /r/DanPMK over on Reddit so I copy/pasted/edited his suggestion.
    >
    > * Go to your "Star Trek Online\Live\Localdata" folder and open Gameprefs.Pref (in Notepad, Wordpad, or other word processor.)
    > * Find the line: PrefEntry GfxSettings.DeviceType Direct3D9
    >
    >
    > * Edit the line so it now reads: PrefEntry GfxSettings.DeviceType Direct3D11
    >
    >
    > * On your launcher, go to Options and under the Command Line option, type -d3d9enable 1
    >
    > into the box. Remember to hit the save button.
    >
    >
    > DX11 is too good for our aging duotronic GFX cards. Good luck and have fun! :)

Yeah i have trouble find this folder, but i did, i deleted the damn thing and now everything is working, i just hope that game will not freeze. Thank you!!!