test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

No text appears on any ingame button for Artifacts launch

gerwalk0769gerwalk0769 Member Posts: 1,095 Arc User
My buttons just appear as blocks of color. There is no text in any of them.

And upon logging in I heard a message that I received my first skill point on a toon that should have 31 skill points.
Joined STO in September 2010.

Comments

• haplo013haplo013 Member Posts: 50 Arc User
    I also have no text anywhere. Not even able to get to options because the options area is blank if you manage to get to it. I am running an AMD Radeon R9 360 with the most current updates. Was in STO before the patch without an issue.
  • jaxinajaxina Member Posts: 69 Arc User
    Same here. No Text on anything. Symbols work fine
  • kblskbls Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    Not sure it's a hardware issue, about 5 other people I know are having the same problem. The question I have: Are other people getting text?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • kurgis1kurgis1 Member Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited October 2016
    According to Reddit Trendy is looking into it - same problems here

Edit: tried launching game through Steam rather than ARC to see if was the "overlay" - nope still no text visible
  • iamynaughtiamynaught Member Posts: 1,285 Arc User
    Add me to the list, no text to be seen. Makes playing the game a bit difficult without text.

I actually found that this was an issue on Tribble but folks stopped talking about it almost 2 weeks ago. Well, here we are on launch day and an old, reported, SHOW STOPPING bug is still present.

I got lucky and was able to get that 8.5gig patch downloaded overnight, but now I still can't play because the Devs apparently forgot that TEXT is kind of important.
    Hello. My name is iamynaught and I am an altaholic.

Losing faith in humanity, one person at a time.
  • steinbergsteinberg Member Posts: 91 Arc User
    Do you guys have AMD or Nvidia cards---AMD here.No text.
  • kblskbls Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    Safe Mode, launcher options. fixed!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    AMD - drivers are 16.9.2 the last WHQL certified - the latest is still optional
  • jaxinajaxina Member Posts: 69 Arc User
    also AMD
    [–]drogyn1701 [score hidden] 4 minutes ago
    Start the game in Safe Mode from the launcher. That will fix it, and the text will be back when you go back to Normal Mode as well.
    permalinkembedparent
    [–]DanPMK [score hidden] 2 minutes ago
    Made a reddit account to post this since I was afraid this would happen: When I tried this update on Tribble, all my game text was invisible as well. OS and Videocard drivers were fully updated. After poking around for a bit, I fixed it by doing the following:
    0) Close STO
    1) Go to your "Star Trek Online\Live\Localdata" folder and open Gameprefs.Pref
    2) Find the line "PrefEntry GfxSettings.DeviceType Direct3D9"
    3) Delete Direct3D9, so the line now reads "PrefEntry GfxSettings.DeviceType"
    4) Relaunch the game, see if it fixed.
    That totally fixed the issue for me on Tribble, and now again on holodeck. It may be misreading the config file for some reason vis-à-vis DirectX settings

All from Reddit - off to try them
  • steinbergsteinberg Member Posts: 91 Arc User
    kbls wrote: »

Thanks -will give it a try.
    Second option worked for me if you're comfortable editing the pref file in notepad
  • haplo013haplo013 Member Posts: 50 Arc User
    Safe Mode, logged in, logged out, logged back in without safe mode, works.
  • jotofedjotofed Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    Happening to me as well. Also, logging in with safe mode did restore text, but exiting and logging back in in normal mode caused the problem to reappear.
  • jabofneurospinejabofneurospine Member Posts: 61 Arc User
    edited October 2016
    Having this issue as well, if you can run the game with dx11 that may resolve the issue. Otherwise this is one of the most spectacularly game breaking bugs I've seen anywhere in a long time.

In case it's helpful, there's a couple possible solutions here.
    http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline/#/discussion/1222827/all-game-text-missing

Edit: If relevant I'm using a ATI mobility Radeon 3870 x2

Edit 2: Alright, found a workaround that works for me at least. Hopefully somebody else can find it useful.
    Had to start the game in safemode with the command line "-d3d9enable 1" and NOT "-d3d9". It appears the latter may have been related to the issue but having neither would cause the game to boot in dx11 which would crash my graphics card.
    Post edited by jabofneurospine on
  • rajathomasrajathomas Member Posts: 130 Arc User

2bGcGvm.jpg
    izf25xI.jpg
  • rajathomasrajathomas Member Posts: 130 Arc User
    UPDATE: kurgis1's post from DanPMK worked for me.
    izf25xI.jpg
  • gerwalk0769gerwalk0769 Member Posts: 1,095 Arc User
    kbls wrote: »

Did not work for me.
    Safe mode didn't work for me and neither did editing the Gameprefs.Pref file.

Seriously Cryptic, this isn't some little bug that can be overlooked, this is a SHOW STOPPING bug and it needs to be fixed now.

• sorceror01sorceror01 Member Posts: 1,042 Arc User
    Edited the GamePrefs file worked for me, but I can only surmise that not a lot of people playing this game are familiar with editing INI files.
    Here's hoping this gets fixed, soon.
    ".... you're gonna have a bad time."
  • orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    Nothing so far worked for me. I have an AMD Radeon HD 8400 if it matters.​​
  • toivatoiva Member Posts: 3,276 Arc User
    I have the same issue on an AMD Radeon HD 7670. (I'm starting to see a pattern there - also looking to get a Nvidia equipped notebook soon.)

Off to trying the workarounds.
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.
    Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var, Tevra, T'Vira, To'Vrak: Give us Asylums for Romulans.

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
  • gerwalk0769gerwalk0769 Member Posts: 1,095 Arc User
    edited October 2016
    Neither of the workarounds (used safe mode and the file was correct, no change was needed) have worked for me. ATI Radeon 3000.
    Post edited by gerwalk0769 on
  • jhuggzjhuggz Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    GamePref edit worked for me. Thank you very much.
  • claudiusdkclaudiusdk Member Posts: 561 Arc User
    No text here either.
    This was reported about on testserver back a while ago by other people aswell.
    It worked for some people launching the game in safemode, and then turning up the quality settings.
    "Please, Captain, not in front of the Klingons."
    Spock to Kirk, as Kirk is about to hug him.
    Star Trek V: "The Final Frontier"
  • vicormavicorma Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    Thanks all, save mode works for now :smile: hope it will be fixed soon
    Hera%20squad%20logo1a.png
  • nenokomnenokom Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    rajathomas wrote: »

2bGcGvm.jpg

same here, no text and number
  • freakiumfreakium Member Posts: 424 Arc User
    edited October 2016
    The following is a new edit from what I first posted. This should fix the no-text problem for those of us using DX9.

A variant of the suggestion by /r/DanPMK over on Reddit so I copy/pasted/edited his suggestion.
    • Go to your "Star Trek Online\Live\Localdata" folder and open Gameprefs.Pref (in Notepad, Wordpad, or other word processor.)
    • Find the line:
      PrefEntry GfxSettings.DeviceType Direct3D9

(Anything after DeviceType on this line will be replaced in the next step)
    • Edit the entire line so it now reads:
      PrefEntry GfxSettings.DeviceType Direct3D11

• On your launcher, go to Options and under the Command Line option, type
      -d3d9enable 1

into the box. Remember to hit the save button.

DX11 is too good for our aging duotronic GFX cards. Good luck and have fun! :)
    Post edited by freakium on
    m12Pkoj.png
  • chitowngrizz420chitowngrizz420 Member Posts: 266 Arc User
    I am having the same issue. This is the norm and isnt it sad that every time theres a big update the game gets bugged. 6 years and lots of major bugs still havnt been fixed? What the hell is all the box ship/key money going for?
    lololol_zpszeo2byvx.jpg
    Fleet Admiral GRIZZ
    U.S.S. Chicago NCC 1833-C
    Sector 31 ANTKB

ANTKB Gaming Community
    freakium wrote: »
    As I have an older GFX card on my traveling laptop, I finally found a fix where all other fixes that were suggested failed.

On your launcher, go to options and under the Command Line option, type "-d3d9enable 1" without the quotes.

Just tried this and it did nothing, still no text anywhere.

Guess I'm done for the day. Hopefully by tomorrow they'll get this fixed.