test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

STO LOADING SCREEN "CRYPTIC" - Never continues/Hangs/Crashes/Not Responding

2»

Comments

• noybmannoybman Member Posts: 38 Arc User
    Why on earth Can't Cryptic properly support their own Game? Seriously? And even stranger - SOFTWARE IS ONES AND ZEROS; we should all be getting the SAME 1's & 0's.... So why do only SOME people have this problem?

Why does their tech support have only basic "read from a FAQ" approach to everything?

Well... In any event, with today's patch, it still did not work for me. So I Google'd yet again, but today I found this, and it seems it worked. Again, YMMV... but try it:
    https://codeweavers.com/compatibility/crossover/forum/star-trek-online?msg=190497

Synopsis of the post there for prosperity:
    "Go into drive_c/Program Files/Cryptic Studios/Star Trek Online/Live
    Duplicate the file "D3DCompiler_42.dll" in the directory
    Rename the duplicate file "D3DCompiler_47.dll"

This should prevent the crash on the Cryptic loading screen - however the next loading screen will sit there for 15-30 minutes before going on to the main menu.

Looks like the update removed this DLL which was related to dropping Windows XP support but causes the game to crash in Crossover. STO may restore this DLL in a future update, but in the meantime this manual workaround should get the game running again. "
    I haven't applied any Windows updates. I udpated my Steel Series Engine Driver for my MSI laptop (went form SS2.0 to 3! yay). But when I tried today, it works

Stunned!

Since all my settings were reset from previous deletion of gamprefs, I set the video setting to their MAX on everything. It works well, proving once again, this is not a Hardware limitation on my system.
    Over the past few weeks, I have been successful and unsuccessful with logging in. Clearly, (without influence), 1's and 0's don't change themselves. What the hell. I have not updated any drivers or changed any patches to the game or the system since it worked last (yesterday), but now today, I cant get in, and I have tried a dozen times.

This is very frustrating. I have a number of other games which are far more CPU and GPU intense than STO is - so it is not my hardware. and since I haven't changed drivers, it is not my drivers. So its something related to the state the system is in (or not in) after booting, and or something to do with connections between STO and the servers. Since my network is clear and handles streaming fine, I suspect my side of the net is good.

Perhaps it is DirectX related, but I have no new settings from Cryptic to try.
  • chkargh#2024 chkargh Member Posts: 50 Arc User
    I also have the Cryptic crash the last time again both in ps4 and pc. Always the same problems
    Qapla'!
  • nerdshowandtellnerdshowandtell Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    Haven't played STO in a long time.. Came back to try.. My two main gaming machines will not get past the Cryptic screen on game start. One running GTX 1060 and the other GTX 1080 cards. I know the GTX 1080 machine was able to at least launch the game a few months ago..
    Still an issue. They have patched NUMEROUS times. Still no idea what on earth impacts it so it actually loads for me once in a blue moon. To be honest, I sincerely cannot find a set of circumstances that triggers it to work. A clean reboot, doing NOTHING other than loading the game, it will not work.
  • anotharatanotharat Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    Will this thread ever be fully solved.
    I'm having this same problem. (Crash after 3/4 loading on Cryptic Screen) I've gone through every step in this thread, followed all instructions and clicked every link. As well as additional searches on my own.

My D3DCompiler_42.dll is renamed _47
    No roccat
    launched in safe mode
    Uninstalled/Reinstalled
    Deleted gameprefs
    Updated drivers
    Tried on steam as well as Arc
    Compatibility mode
    Admin

No luck on anything. Does anybody have any additional suggestions?
  • jp6004#6749 jp6004 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    > @anotharat said:
    > Will this thread ever be fully solved.
    > I'm having this same problem. (Crash after 3/4 loading on Cryptic Screen) I've gone through every step in this thread, followed all instructions and clicked every link. As well as additional searches on my own.
    >
    > My D3DCompiler_42.dll is renamed _47
    > No roccat
    > launched in safe mode
    > Uninstalled/Reinstalled
    > Deleted gameprefs
    > Updated drivers
    > Tried on steam as well as Arc
    > Compatibility mode
    > Admin
    >
    > No luck on anything. Does anybody have any additional suggestions?

Ive done the same, no joy