test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Will Shatner make it into STO for the 50Th?

Comments

• Options
    minababeminababe Member Posts: 182 Arc User
    questerius wrote: »
    I can only say that i hope that Shatner never gets anywhere near STO.

That man has no talent, has an ego which is only surpassed by his belly and will probably insist on top dollar as payment just because he fumbled his way through the original series.

Just save the cash and don't use an actor with no talent like Shatner

No one who's ever seen Boston Legal or the classic Twilight Zone episode, Terror at 20000 feet would ever say or think that.
    My Foundry Mission--Name: Falling Star | Mission ID: HQIH36HAW | Faction: FED
  • Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    No
    Or TekWar. Remember that?

Nope, nobody else did, either.​​
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,544 Arc User
    iconians wrote: »

Sadly, youtube doesn't have the Simpsons bit about it :(

The trailer is awfulsome though:

https://youtu.be/v81Aj3R9v1M

And hey, Torri Higginson! (Dr. Weir, SGA)
  • Options
    wylonuswylonus Member Posts: 471 Arc User
    No
    chris pine would do.
    or get voice makeover recording from old episodes, still it would cost less than hiring bill statner, he is way over idolized and touch of dementia.
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    wylonus wrote: »
    chris pine would do.
    or get voice makeover recording from old episodes, still it would cost less than hiring bill statner, he is way over idolized and touch of dementia.

No, please. The sound clips from old episodes in AoY sound horribly amateurish. Definitely the worst idea they ever had regarding voice over work.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    steaensteaen Member Posts: 646 Arc User
    No
    Almost certainly no, but I'd love it if they did.

Egomaniacal arsehole or not, he's still James T Kirk.
  • Options
    sarreoussarreous Member Posts: 336 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    No
    Yeah, it would be cool if he were to lend his voice for the game. It wouldn't even have to be Kirk. Cryptic could come up with a new character, giving him more leniency in his portrayal. But...if he didn't want to be in the game to begin with, and too much pestering caused him to permanently shut the door on the chance, then so be it. We should remember that not everyone wants to revive an old character.
  • Options
    thelunarboythelunarboy Member Posts: 412 Arc User
    On a slight tangent, I'd love to see a travelog show featuring Shatner and Brian Blessed touring the world together, just for the pure insanity of it all.

Heck I'd like to see Blessed in STO lol!
  • Options
    No
    The voice acting via old clips is one of the coolest things they've ever done in sto.

I hope they realize it is a brilliant paradigm going forward and we see a lot more of it.

Can't get captain picard to do voice acting? Oh well, have access to hundreds of episodes worth of audio, put something together.

Worked for Brian Williams.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CYJ73pVpVc​​
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Don't care

I also remember TJ Hooker. :p
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    cptjhuntercptjhunter Member Posts: 2,288 Arc User
    farmallm wrote: »
    farmallm wrote: »
    I highly doubt it, plus they didn't even render him. For the AOY part where you had to patch him up. So you know its bad if they won't even show him.

Its sad that is for sure. I would love to see him somewhere in the game. Now if we can get Sisko, Janeway or Picard into the game. At least some of their crew.

It's funny how nobody ever mentions the Enterprise NX-01 crew. How many "Lets get Travis Mayweather into STO" threads have there been?

Yes of course bring them in too. I can see Archer being used for a story arc as well.

Scott Bakula in STO would be a leap of quantum proportions.​​

Over Bourbon Street.

I think Shatner might be too busy, making another Travelocity commercial.
  • Options
    spacebaronlinespacebaronline Member Posts: 1,103 Arc User
    I find it interesting that he is not part of the new holo boffs set. Coming as a special event prize on his own for the 50th?
  • Options
    thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    I think the Denny Crane character Shatner played in Boston Legal is probably the closest to his actual personality. As to him appearing in STO as a voice actor... don't care. He wouldn't really add anything. Further, the fee he'd charge would probably ensure there'd be no new anything added to the game for a long time.
    Post edited by thunderfoot#5163 on
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • Options
    No
    I find it interesting that he is not part of the new holo boffs set. Coming as a special event prize on his own for the 50th?

More likely they couldn't secure his likeness rights, which is also why you encounter Kirk while he's face-down and his head is partially covered by his arm when you're in-game.​​
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    whamhammer1whamhammer1 Member Posts: 2,290 Arc User
    I think the OP forgot an option:

ROFFFLLL!!!
  • Options
    kitsunesnoutkitsunesnout Member Posts: 1,210 Arc User
    Don't care

More likely they couldn't secure his likeness rights, which is also why you encounter Kirk while he's face-down and his head is partially covered by his arm when you're in-game.​​

Did anyone ever try a disco ball to cause him to get up? I've revived the dead on some missions by making them dance! (I'd test it myself but won't be able to get ingame for a while)
  • Options
    No

More likely they couldn't secure his likeness rights, which is also why you encounter Kirk while he's face-down and his head is partially covered by his arm when you're in-game.

Did anyone ever try a disco ball to cause him to get up? I've revived the dead on some missions by making them dance! (I'd test it myself but won't be able to get ingame for a while)

Miraculous!

Truly there is no more virtuous or blessed item.

Clearly, this must be tested. For science.​​
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    lsegnlsegn Member Posts: 594 Arc User
    No
    William Shatner is a talentless, stupid, jealous, pile of sh** why would Cryptic waste their money on him? I'd rather have somone with a shred of talent like Picard.
  • Options
    lucianazetalucianazeta Member Posts: 740 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    No
    Not happening, Shatner's never seemed interested in reprising Kirk in mere video games beyond a few, I'd rather see Patrick Stewart to be quite honest, sure, I get it, 50th anniversary, TOS character, but you're a lot more likely to see Stewart reprising Picard then Shatner reprising Kirk.

Stewart is better anyway, voice actor wise, he sounded as we knew him from TNG in Legacy, same effort, same quality, and he's done a hell of a job in other voice work also, like Emperor Uriel Septim in TES Oblivion, whereas Shatner sounded absolutely bored out of his mind even in Legacy, acting and voice acting are two different worlds.

Also, I'd love to see some ENT voice actors in STO beyond Daniels, I actually -very much- enjoyed ENT myself, though as a seasoned gamer I also would prefer whatever Star Trek actor actually -has- voice acting experience, as I said, two different worlds, just because they were great on screen doesn't automatically mean they're just as good standing in a booth to provide their voice.
    STO%20Sig.png~original
  • Options
    lsegnlsegn Member Posts: 594 Arc User
    No
    Shatner was never good at normal acting I don't know why people find it surprising he'd be bad at VO too. He was chosen for his looks and nothing else, certainly nothing more.
  • Options
    doubleohninedoubleohnine Member Posts: 818 Arc User
    Don't care
    Putting in a request for a Time Travel Mission where Capt Riker of the Titan (shortly after he takes command, havnt read his books yet) jumps forward to our time and we assist them on a mission and help Riker and Troi get back to their post TNG timeline. Frakes and Sirtis wouldnt charge that much, would they?
    STO: @AGNT009 Since Dec 2010
    Capt. Will Conquest of the U.S.S. Crusader
  • Options
    Voice acting is probably a bit like stage work... you have to make everything bigger for the different medium. Many stage actors have trouble adapting to TV at first because being used to distant audiences, they do big sweeping gestures when only a subtle one is needed. Radio DJ's will often look like the Joker when they are broadcasting, but you'll never know it because you can't see their face... but gesturing a smile while talking makes them sound more interesting. It really wouldn't surprise me if voice acting was the same and that you have to be more expressive with your face to compensate for the lack of physical expression being registered by the audience.

It's a different discipline in the same playbook.
  • Options
    Putting in a request for a Time Travel Mission where Capt Riker of the Titan (shortly after he takes command, havnt read his books yet) jumps forward to our time and we assist them on a mission and help Riker and Troi get back to their post TNG timeline. Frakes and Sirtis wouldnt charge that much, would they?

Marina has obviously done voicework before for Mass Effect, so I'm sure she's open to it. If you want Frakes... the best thing to do is look when he's put himself down for a convention appearance and then ring his agent with booking that date in mind... he's gained quite a reputation in the UK for only doing conventions when work has dried up, and dropping out when he gets a booking. sooooooo many cancellations. I do get it, it's his job and he has to do what puts money on the table best... I'm merely echoing the comments of long time fans I've run into at conventions in the UK.