test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Please unlock all registry numbers for all ships.

I am literally the only person who will ever see my ship's registry number. I don't understand why we're artificially locked into a certain range of numbers depending on our time period. What's the harm in letting the player choose whatever number they want?
NJ9oXSO.png
"Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
-Thomas Marrone

Comments

• Options
    thekodanarmada#7342 thekodanarmada Member Posts: 1,631 Arc User
    Fed problems.
    DInb0Vo.gif[/url][/center]
  • Options
    berginsbergins Member Posts: 3,453 Arc User
    You aren't the only one who sees your registry numbers of you play Fed. They're painted all over your ship.
    "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    Because only one set of ships should be 1701. Unless you have taken over Shon's command of the Enterprise-F, then only one ship with 1701 should exist at any time.
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    they could still expand the registry number range...just lock out specific ones like how they lock out specific character and ship names​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    Because CBS said so. Cryptic was given a specific number range that they were allowed to use for the time period of the game (2409-2410), and sometimes they relax it on a case-by-case basis, such as the Risian Corvette and the 23c. ships from Agents of Yesterday.

Unless CBS says "TRIBBLE it, use whatever number you want", Cryptic is still compelled to do what they say as a licensee.​​
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    bergins wrote: »
    You aren't the only one who sees your registry numbers of you play Fed. They're painted all over your ship.

How many players actually fly real close to other players to scrutinize their number? Not many, I'd wager.

As for immersion... we're flying freakin' Undine bioships. And 31st-century timeships. That ship sailed a long time ago.

I don't think being able to label my 25th-century ship "NCC-1902-A" is too much to ask.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • Options
    ravenmorpheus2kravenmorpheus2k Member Posts: 103 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    I find this a little bit infuriating also, my ships where appropriate (i.e. anything that has been called Enterprise) are all named Yorktown (because we can't use Enterprise). Anyone who knows their Star Trek knows that the Yorktown was NCC-1717. But I have to number mine 91717.

Does leave me a bit stumped for numbering a tier 6 ship though, I don't like the look of any of them, including the JJprise which would be the logical choice...

Oddly though I started a 23c character and am now using my TOS Constitution and was surprised to find I am allowed it to be numbered NCC-1717.

So why is that allowed in the 23c offshoot and not the main game?!
  • Options
    theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,986 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    As I've noticed a lack of originality on ship names, registry numbers are fine as they are.
    For example lets say I have a ship named U.S.S. Trafalgar, it's registry number would be NCC- 211005, the registry number being the date of the battle.

As registry numbers are now, it brings out some creativity and interesting numbering systems
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • Options
      alcyoneserenealcyoneserene Member Posts: 2,412 Arc User
      ...right after unlocking I.R.W. option on all Romulan ships. Please, and thank you.
      Y945Yzx.jpg
      Devs: Provide the option to Turn OFF full screen flashes from enemy ship explosions
      · ♥ · ◦.¸¸. ◦'¯`·. (Ɏ) V A N U _ S O V E R E I G N T Y (Ɏ) .·´¯'◦.¸¸. ◦ · ♡ ·
      «» \▼/ T E R R A N ¦ R E P U B L I C \▼/ «»
      ﴾﴿ ₪ṩ ||| N A N I T E S Y S T E M S : B L A C K | O P S ||| ₪ṩ ﴾﴿
    • Options
      diabolical91diabolical91 Member Posts: 194 Arc User
      your not getting 1701 so don't even try as
      starkaos wrote: »
      Because only one set of ships should be 1701. Unless you have taken over Shon's command of the Enterprise-F, then only one ship with 1701 should exist at any time.
      said.
    • Options
      neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
      I need NCC 1234....It will match my lunch box
      GwaoHAD.png
    • Options
      officerbatman81officerbatman81 Member Posts: 2,761 Arc User
      Register your ship as 01234 rather than just 1234, there problem solved now only has 4 numbers.
    • Options
      fiberteksyfirfiberteksyfir Member Posts: 1,207 Arc User
      edited August 2016
      Just have to be crafty with what we have. E.g. they let me get away with uss constellation ncc-1017 on a connie.
    • Options
      your not getting 1701 so don't even try as
      starkaos wrote: »
      said.

Why not, though? I don't care about 1701, but if somebody wants to use it, why not? It's not like any other players will see it, nor would they care.

I mean sure, lock out the name "Enterprise". People can see that. But nobody will see registry numbers.
      NJ9oXSO.png
      -Thomas Marrone
    • Options
      dareaudareau Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
      The only part that bugs me about this whole "name and registry number" business is that they went ahead and gave us the "-X" box (so we can have NCC-101701-A, -B, -C etc.) but we can't reuse the same name on the ship (Say U.S.S. Windscry) - we have to "rename out" the current one to something else so that we can "rename to" the right name on the current ship.

And if you look to Canon, only the Enterprise was "historically" granted "permission" to be numbered NCC-1701-X. Every other ship, important or not, like Excalibur, Excelsior, Defiant, Intrepid, Yorktown, Hood, Farragut, etc. etc., when carried to a new hull block was also given the new Registry Number / Construction Contract (NCC= Naval Construction Contract in some sources) appropriate to the actual hull in question.

Why Defiant got -Aed in DS9 is beyond me, probably the first time since TMP that a ship name was reused on another of the exact same model lineage. And we don't even know if the post-TMP-era Defiant managed to keep on that track or if it goes back to the "NCC number appropriate to your hull"...
      Detecting big-time "anti-old-school" bias here. NX? Lobi. TOS/TMP Connie? Super-promotion-box. (aka the two hardest ways to get ships) Excelsior & all 3 TNG "big hero" ships? C-Store. Please Equalize...

To rob a line: [quote: Mariemaia Kushrenada] Forum Posting is much like an endless waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever. However, opinions will change upon the reading of my post.[/quote]
    • Options
      fiberteksyfirfiberteksyfir Member Posts: 1,207 Arc User
      edited August 2016
      @azrael605 You mean like what they did with generations? :) But what dareau said not being able to have more than one ship with the same name but being able to alpha suffix them is a little odd.. no doubt a database limitation of some kind though.
    • Options
      ncc42662ncc42662 Member Posts: 72 Arc User
      neoakiraii wrote: »
      I need NCC 1234....It will match my lunch box

lol

By the way... CHANGE THE NUMBER ON MY LUNCH BOX!!

"The Prime Directive is merely a guideline to help make the right choice" -Vn'dor Phail, Capt
      :: sneezes :: Why is it no-one dusts the bridge on Starfleet vessels?" -Emsil Marat, Glinn
      "We can not interfere in the progression of one's life" -Richard Lynch, LtCdr
    • Options
      edited August 2016
      I have to follow suit with this agreement issue with CBS... I used to play an online text based RPG, and would love to used the registries of the ship's I have from that RPG... like my Excelsior Refit Pendragon NCC-42662... my Ambassador Scorpius NCC-50666, etc, etc.

I admit, very minor in the overall scheme of things. I understood when they explained it so very long ago that it was an agreement with CBS, but became frustrating when that argument no longer made sense when AoY came out and we could name the TOS craft with anything almost...

Anyhoo... getting off the soap box.

P.S. I too would love the I.R.W. option on ALL Romulan ships... always preferred a true Romulan Star Empire faction over a "good" guy Romulan Republic... :/
      "The Prime Directive is merely a guideline to help make the right choice" -Vn'dor Phail, Capt
      :: sneezes :: Why is it no-one dusts the bridge on Starfleet vessels?" -Emsil Marat, Glinn
    • Options
      talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
      I would also like to have ISS be able to be used on any fed ship since one of my toons I have basically set as a mirror captain.

But far as the registry numbers. Like they lock out specific ship names, it's quite easy to lock out specific ship registries so they are not reused. Like 2000, 1701 etc.
      afMSv4g.jpg
      Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
    • Options
      theotherscotty#9105 theotherscotty Member Posts: 385 Arc User
      edited September 2016
      I can see "1701" being off limits, 'cause obviously that's the Enterprise. Fair enough, I've got no problem with that. I just hate having to resort to putting a 6-digit number on my TOS Connie, as in "NCC-172100" on my ship and then just pretending the two zeros aren't there at the end.

They did apparently solve this for the temporal characters, and also on the KT-Connie, which is a nice step in the right direction. So now my TOS Connie finally has the proper hull number of "NCC-1721." It's not that big a deal, but it's just one of those little details that I'd like to see implemented across the board on all Fed ships.
      Post edited by theotherscotty#9105 on
    • Options
      Thank you, Cryptic! :D
      NJ9oXSO.png
      -Thomas Marrone
    • Options
      edited September 2016
      Thank you, Cryptic! :D

I'd have to add my thanks to this as well... Thank you kindly from a player that is not into the pvp etc., more here for content. Cryptic or private authors alike. Sorta consider myself a role player in those limitations... ;)

So again, thank you.