test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Win 10, STO, and Safe Mode

I'd like to play the game like I used to using the same, if not similar, settings.

I just upgraded to Windows 10. I could not log in. I've been reading and working through issues such as logging in and being able to hear but not see the game (the screen where you choose which toon to play) one and the game dumping me out after the AoY screen. Prior to this upgrade I ran the game in fullscreen.

I first tried pasting and saving "-d3d11enable 0 -d3d9" in the Cryptic game client but that cut the sound out. I ran compatibility tests from the Arc icon but nothing worked, even using my old pre-upgrade system worked. I did not know how to run a compatibility test from the Cryptic Game client so I could not. I tried running the game in safe mode which allows me to get into the game but I'd like to play the game in fullscreen. I switched modes from Safe Mode to fullscreen in game and suddenly could not input any information (i.e. I could not click on anything to activate it).

How can I get the game to work on in fullscreen mode? I'm not very computer literate, apologies. Thanks for any help.
Joined STO in September 2010.

Comments

• Options
    rossclansforce1rossclansforce1 Member Posts: 400 Arc User
    You are lucky you are able to play in windows 10. Hopefully somebody can help get it going. I can't get past the Cryptic Client Crash screen.
    [img]>:)[/img]

Click to Join armadafleet.org/
  • Options
    jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    I first tried pasting and saving "-d3d11enable 0 -d3d9" in the Cryptic game client but that cut the sound out.

Try using "-d3d11enable 0" again to get back into STO. From there go into your graphic options and look for the tab that allows you to select which DirectX to use. Change it to DirectX9, save your new settings, then exist the game. Next remove the command line and start STO normally. Hopefully that will work.
  • Options
    arionisaarionisa Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
    I upgraded to Win10 as soon as it came out and although it has been a long time back now, I do believe that what jaguarskx suggested is what worked for me.

Then again, I have a bad memory and I do know that just about a month or so ago I went back and tried DX11 and had no problem at all.

Side note, I don't run full screen, I run windowed maximized, visually no different and I like being able to alt-tab in and out of the game without problems, like I'm doing right now while waiting for an stf cool down.
    LTS and loving it.
    Ariotex.png
  • Options
    gerwalk0769gerwalk0769 Member Posts: 1,095 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    jaguarskx wrote: »
    I first tried pasting and saving "-d3d11enable 0 -d3d9" in the Cryptic game client but that cut the sound out.

Try using "-d3d11enable 0" again to get back into STO. From there go into your graphic options and look for the tab that allows you to select which DirectX to use. Change it to DirectX9, save your new settings, then exist the game. Next remove the command line and start STO normally. Hopefully that will work.

@aionisa @jaguarskx

Thanks for the imput. I tried the quoted method. There are longer client loading times and the client drops/disappears twice (leaving me to view my desktop for a duration each time, but it seems to be working-I can play in full screen. Thank you very much.

Joined STO in September 2010.
  • Options
    dragonhef01dragonhef01 Member Posts: 407 Arc User
    jaguarskx wrote: »

It's best to Force the engine to use DirectX 9EX(tabs might be Ignored). So, the command should be -d3d11enable 0 -d3d9ex. EX works much better than the standard DirectX 9 on Win7 Service Pack 1 thru Win10 Anniversery Pack. Have fun...
  • Options
    firekeeperhufirekeeperhu Member Posts: 416 Arc User
    tried every solution mentioned here, but still, the game crashes when it tries to load my character in the character select screen... any other suggestions?
    <3 Defiant <3

RnD and upgrade needs less RNG. Less lottery. Something has to change.
  • Options
    jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    tried every solution mentioned here, but still, the game crashes when it tries to load my character in the character select screen... any other suggestions?

What are the specs of your desktop or laptop?