test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

to all the people who said there would never be an end game connie...

Comments

• whamhammer1whamhammer1 Member Posts: 2,290 Arc User
    null

Thing is, I dont believe there has never been anything on screen for the name of the class of ship in JJverse.
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    It's a JJ-Connie, not the original TOS nor the TOS-movie Connie Refit.

So what you're saying is, of the wide variety of connies out there, including TOS Connies, TWOK era Movie Connies and Bad Robot Film Connies, the end-game Connie that is now in this game that people said would never have an end-game Connie is one of the types of Connies that has been an official part of the Star Trek franchise - the Kelvin Timeline Connie?

Is that about the size of it?

You tell me when these 2 are at endgame levels.
    1000?cb=20110915153154&path-prefix=en
    latest?cb=20100518022537&path-prefix=en

Those are just two of the many different kinds of Constitution class ships in STO. What about the Vesper? The Excalibur? The Exeter?

They were part of the game's original Tier 2 Cruiser package but you knew that already.

So again, you tell me when we have the TOS Constitution-class and TOS movie era Constitution-refit at endgame.

So let's count up how many Connies there are!

There's the T1 TOS Connie.
    There's the T2 TMP Connie.
    There's the T2 Vesper
    There's the T2 Excalibur
    There's the T2.5 Exeter
    And NOW, there's the T6 Kelvin Timeline Connie.

That's a lotta Connies!

If we're lucky they'll get around to getting the other 5 in as playable at T6. The door is open now! If you'd set aside your blind internet level hatred of things you don't like, you'd see how much of an opportunity there is now. You'd see thread after thread allowed to discuss the topic freely. You'd see an actual T6 connie in existence (and one that took communication between Cryptic, CBS and Paramount to happen). You'd see a new show coming out. You'd see timeline jumping all over the place. You'd see the game poised to embrace it's 50th anniversary. You'd see all of this and you'd wonder at how close you are to your dream.

Or ...

You could continue to forum rage and hate on the new lockbox.

It's your choice really. Have fun whichever path you take.

Are you daft?

You've been in this game long enough to know that Vesper, Excalibur, Exeter are already tied to the same ship with the Constitution Refit at Tier 2. Which I already said.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • azniadeetazniadeet Member Posts: 1,871 Arc User
    These are not the connies you're looking for.
  • snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User

So what you're saying is, of the wide variety of connies out there, including TOS Connies, TWOK era Movie Connies and Bad Robot Film Connies, the end-game Connie that is now in this game that people said would never have an end-game Connie is one of the types of Connies that has been an official part of the Star Trek franchise - the Kelvin Timeline Connie?

Those are just two of the many different kinds of Constitution class ships in STO. What about the Vesper? The Excalibur? The Exeter?

They were part of the game's original Tier 2 Cruiser package but you knew that already.

So again, you tell me when we have the TOS Constitution-class and TOS movie era Constitution-refit at endgame.

There's the T2 Vesper
    There's the T2 Excalibur
    There's the T2.5 Exeter
    And NOW, there's the T6 Kelvin Timeline Connie. <--- Is not canon. Is not Trek. dino1-4.gif

That's a lotta Connies!

If we're lucky they'll get around to getting the other 5 in as playable at T6. The door is open now! If you'd set aside your blind internet level hatred of things you don't like, you'd see how much of an opportunity there is now. You'd see thread after thread allowed to discuss the topic freely. You'd see an actual T6 connie in existence (and one that took communication between Cryptic, CBS and Paramount to happen). You'd see a new show coming out. You'd see timeline jumping all over the place. You'd see the game poised to embrace it's 50th anniversary. You'd see all of this and you'd wonder at how close you are to your dream.

Or ...

​​

#yourheadcanonmatters
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2016
    If anyone thinks the kelconnie is an acceptable alternative to the genuine article, you fundamentally miss the point of wanting a true classic.

You can put the classic name on this thing, but it does not make it the genuine article.

I mean for crying out loud, that's like saying that a 1995 Chevy Malibu satisfies the same desires as a 1971 Chevy Malibu! One is a crummy daily driver while the other is a legendary muscle car. The name makes no difference.
    azniadeet wrote: »
    If anyone thinks the kelconnie is an acceptable alternative to the genuine article, you fundamentally miss the point of wanting a true classic.

You can put the classic name on this thing, but it does not make it the genuine article.

I mean for crying out loud, that's like saying that a 1995 Chevy Malibu satisfies the same desires as a 1971 Chevy Malibu! One is a crummy daily driver while the other is a legendary muscle car. The name makes no difference.

So we're back to discounting and disavowing things that don't fit your definition of what is real and genuine in Star Trek?

#realtrekforrealtrekfans
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    If that's your takeaway from what I just said, you need to re-read.
    Here's what I read:

Here's how I parse that statement, with the emphasis from the words you used in bold:

If anyone (meaning anyone besides you) doesn't share your opinion about what is acceptable, they don't value what you feel is the genuine article, meaning that anything you don't subjectively view as acceptable is not genuine. Or to put it in context, the Enterprise, which has been redone, refit, and rechristened 10 times in the shows and movies (NX, Kirk's tv series, the refit, the A, B, C, D, E, J and Kelvin Timeline) ... and is about to be destroyed again according to the trailer ... has only one true real definitive look! Which is of course the TOS one. Or the Refit. Or the A. One of those three! That's the real true one and only Enterprise! Just one. Of three. That's the genuine article. And a TRUE classic. And anyone else who thinks the new, current, model being used in the films as a Constitution class starship called The Enterprise can be accepted as such a ship is both fake, and false.

Did I not get what you were saying when you used the words acceptable, genuine and true?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Did you eat paint chips as a kid or something?
    And no. You don't get what I said. Not in the slightest.

The genuine article, in the context of this conversation is the TOS Connie. That is the item that people are generally requesting.

The kelconnie is not that thing. If it is intended as a replacement or equivalent to that thing, it does not satisfy the request. It is not the genuine article.
    edited July 2016
    The genuine article, in the context of this conversation is the TOS Connie. That is the item that people are generally requesting.

How is that more genuine than any other Constitution class vessel?

There's now three or four. There's the one from the 1960s TV show. There's the one from the 1979 film. There's the A, from after they save the whales, which had some small differences. And there's the one from the Kelvin timelilne. They're all Constitution class vessels. Which is MORE genuine?

I understand that the one you yourself want isn't the kelvin one.

But you're using the words real, genuine and acceptable and saying anyone who doesn't share your opinion is fake and untrue.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • staticharge5347staticharge5347 Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    PS: ive also noticed something funny...

some of the people who used to say

"there will never be and end game connie"

have now changed it to

"there wil never be a TOS end game connie"

i wonder what they will change it to after that happens!

Never go troll fishing without good bait. Looks like this guy's bait is REALLY good. Every one of you bit on it.

edited July 2016
    "How is that more genuine than any other Constitution class vessel?"

Because one is first, groundbreaking and iconic. The rest are riffs on that design. Every Starfleet ship in Trek is derivative, in some way, from the TOS Connie. That's the genuine article.

Don't debase yourself by playing dumb to that point.

By the way, I don't want a connie. Not my cup of tea. But I'm not going to troll people by acting like there isn't a genuine classic with the original design.
    Don't debase yourself by playing dumb to that point.

I'm not playing dumb. I'm challenging your assertion that there is only one true Connie that is genuine, because it creates a pointless fracture in the fan base and on these forums that tends to make things worse far more often than better.

It's like saying there's only one true Batman look:

jgzz2xofxluum7ly3kj6.png

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    You are the one furthering that divide by pretending that the reboot enterprise satisfies the demand for the original. You continually ignore the fact that people want the source, not the derivative.

When people talk about the constitution class, they don't mean the Kelvin version of it. You're being obtuse to think that. If I say "I want a connie", that means the TOS version. If I'm talking about the Kelvin version, I'll specify that. Why? Because that one is a derivative, the original gets precedence. Similarly, if I want a refit TMP era Connie, I'll say that to. I'll say "I want the refit Connie." If I don't specify a version, if I just say "I want a connie", that's the original. The one and only. The genuine article.

That is the entire point of wanting a connie: to get the ship that started it all- to get the ship that all subsequent ships have been modeled after. No derivative.

You disrespect the view that no substitution can replace that prime source. Far beyond this discussion, that is the source of all the division you so claim to decry: disrespect for origin.
    edited July 2016
    You are the one furthering that divide by pretending that the reboot enterprise satisfies the demand for the original. You continually ignore the fact that people want the source, not the derivative.

When people talk about the constitution class, they don't mean the Kelvin version of it. You're being obtuse to think that. If I say "I want a connie", that means the TOS version. If I'm talking about the Kelvin version, I'll specify that. Why? Because that one is a derivative, the original gets precedence. Similarly, if I want a refit TMP era Connie, I'll say that to. I'll say "I want the refit Connie." If I don't specify a version, if I just say "I want a connie", that's the original. The one and only. The genuine article.

That is the entire point of wanting a connie: to get the ship that started it all- to get the ship that all subsequent ships have been modeled after. No derivative.

You disrespect the view that no substitution can replace that prime source. Far beyond this discussion, that is the source of all the division you so claim to decry: disrespect for origin.

IDIC personified!

Thanks for being a REAL and TRUE Trek fan!

#yourheadcanonmatters
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • age03age03 Member Posts: 1,664 Arc User
    There isn't and if you think JJ is a Connie you and I have nothing to talk about as you aren't fan.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Age StarTrek-Gamers Administrator
    USS WARRIOR NCC 1720 Commanding Officer
    Star Trek Gamers
  • hanover2hanover2 Member Posts: 1,053 Arc User

You presume far too much with the speaking on behalf of others. "The" demand. "People talk".

You represent your own opinions and are only defining terms for your own use. You do not get to impose those definitions on others.
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,115 Arc User

There's the T2 Vesper
    There's the T2 Excalibur
    There's the T2.5 Exeter
    And NOW, there's the T6 Kelvin Timeline Connie.

That's a lotta Connies!

Or ...

As I said in another thread, I'm predicting for the 50th a Connie 3-pack that, in addition to three new variants, can use the Vesper, Exeter, and Excalibur skins, and if you buy all three you can use the TOS and TMP skins too. Maximum profit from what would absolutely be the best selling C-Store ship of all time.

I think that's a great idea. And a definite possibility.

I think there's a ton of possibility right now. For the hopes and dreams this is the perfect time! It's all wide open and possible.

Instead some others keep wanting to spin this as a negative talking about REAL connies, REAL trek, REAL etc.

sigh.
    ^^^
    Agreed. I've wanted an Endgame TOS 23rd century era Prime Universe Constitution Class ship in STO from DAY ONE. I also picked up a Kelvin Connie because the old Star Trek fan - watching 'Star Trek' since 1969 at age 6 on NBC - ALSO very much has enjoyed the JJ Abrams films; and they DO recapture a lot of what made TOS fun and enjoyable for me - (YMMV).

That said I feel if we don't get the ability to use the Prime Universe TOS era Constitution Class 'ship skin' of some sort of T6 Timeship (or other T6 ship variant) this year - during the 50th Anniversary of the premiere of the Original Star Trek series; we never will - OR - we will get it TWO WEEKS prior to the announcement that STO is sunsetting.

Pretty much, it's Now or Never. :(
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
    edited July 2016
    age03 wrote: »
    There isn't and if you think JJ is a Connie you and I have nothing to talk about as you aren't fan.

That's it. You got me. You totally got me! I'm NOT a fan! Thank god we've got real fans and true fans like you all to take up this crusade and work tirelessly on getting a T6 TOS Constitution into the game! I mean people like me just gum up the works and do everything we can to prevent that dream from happening. My posting history shows it too!

As long as there's fans like me, the real, true and GENUINE fans like yourself will never get any support needed to let Cryptic know there's a desire for an end-game Constitution class. I've never once put forth such a message, because all I care about is fake, non-canon, dreck, like the Kelvin Timeline stuff.

That's me. To a T!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2016
    There have been plenty of people who've requested the jj connie. When they do, they say that.

Because if they just said "THE connie" they'd be talking about the the original.

Playing dumb to that fact is trolling. Sharpening the divide and generating contention by diluting the history of the franchise.
    I'm reminded of this:

Scotty: "The android at the bar said ya' could show me ma' old ship. Lemme see it."
    Computer: "Insufficient data. Please specify parameters."
    Scotty: "The Enterprise! Show me the bridge of the Enterprise, ya' chatterin' piece of..."
    Computer: "There have been five Federation ships with that name. Please specify by registry number."
    Scotty: "NCC-1701. No bloody A, B, C, or D."

And no bloody JJ.
    edited July 2016
    There have been plenty of people who've requested the jj connie. When they do, they say that.

Because if they just said "THE connie" they'd be talking about the the original.

Playing dumb to that fact is trolling. Sharpening the divide and generating contention by diluting the history of the franchise.

Calling it the JJ-Prize, calling it NOT a real constitution class ship, and calling people not real fans is trolling far more.

You've not sharpened the divide, you've helped create the divide in the first place.

#idic

I'm reminded of the end of that episode, where Scotty and Geordi have to work together and team up both the old and the new in a much more powerful way. I'm also reminded of the fact that Scotty took a 24th century shuttle given to him by the captain at the very end and didn't complain it wasn't real or genuine.

Also, try to remember who it is you are having this debate with in terms of the entire End Game Constitution Class discussion throughout this forum's lifetime.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    What's really funny is that I'm glad they've added the kelconnie into the game. It's a fine addition of a Canon ship.

But whatever you want to call it, it isn't any replacement for a T6 Connie.
  • umbergreyumbergrey Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    Among other problems with the design, the Abrams Enterprise shares virtually nothing in common with a Prime Universe Constitution class in any variant or refit. Those are the ships people refer to as Constitution, JJPrize is something entirely different. Some people love it, others hate it, but neither would say it's the same thing.​​

This statement coming from a guy with the IDIC as his sig strikes me as funny.

• sharpie65sharpie65 Member Posts: 679 Arc User

That opinion in itself is making a pretty damned big divide. There will never be a TOS Connie at endgame for the exact same reasoning that there isn't an NX-01 at endgame. As to the "view" that no substitution can replace the prime source, this is pretty much fact; however, your desire for an obsolete ship at endgame is irrational at best. The version we have is most likely the best that will ever happen - it isn't "your and quite a few others'" replacement for a T6 Connie, but it is the only endgame Connie that we have as of right now.

As @evilmark444 said, there will probably be a T6 Cruiser 3-pack released later this year (or quite possibly next year, before the 50th year is up) - that will likely give you what you want. However, I'm content with the Kelvin Constitution for the time being.
    MXeSfqV.jpg
    So one universe's 150 year old starship makes sense, while another universe's 150 year old starship does not?

I have to laugh at some of these arguments. I mean it's just ridiculous.
  • sharpie65sharpie65 Member Posts: 679 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    So one universe's 150 year old starship makes sense, while another universe's 150 year old starship does not?

I have to laugh at some of these arguments. I mean it's just ridiculous.

And I have to laugh back. The recent dev blog regarding that very lock box stated the reason why the KTstution is T6. Granted, it's headcanon at best, but it's as close to an official answer as we're going to get - being players of the only officially-licensed ST game on the market right now. If you choose to ignore the given logic, what else can be done? After all, bad logic is still logic if it is the only existing logic.

About the suggested Cruiser 3-pack, what if it doesn't allow the use of the 2280's refit and Vesper skins? Will that, in your opinion, invalidate the *true* T6 cruiser?
    MXeSfqV.jpg
    So one dubious explanation is fine, but there's no way done dubious explanation work the other way around..? Give me a break.

We already have 23c T6 ships. They're retrofitted 26th century models. There you go. Simple explanation, already in the game.
    So one dubious explanation is fine, but there's no way done dubious explanation work the other way around..? Give me a break.

We already have 23c T6 ships. They're retrofitted 26th century models. There you go. Simple explanation, already in the game.

I think before we set the entire explanation in stone, it's best to just wait it out for a few months. Like say September. For obvious reasons. I mean, that's what I would do if I were a huge crazy insane TOS fan who wanted to play Star Trek Online with as much TOS suff as possible, had pestered the forums and devs for YEARS asking for any and every small TOS thing they could think of, was one of only a tiny pocket of people who ever posted they wanted to fly a Daedalus in this game, and you know led the charge on TOS ANYTHING in STO. But since I'm not that, since I'm a troll and a fake fan, you can just ignore me.

;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]