test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Finally! T6 Connie!

Comments

• mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    daendae wrote: »
    Just curious, has anyone gotten one of the new T6 Connies and flown it around? I can't seem to find any stats on it, and I'm wondering if it is a ship worth spending lots of money trying to get (other than the fact that it's a T6 Connie)
    :)

I'll quote the announcement:
    From 8/25/16 at 9:30AM Pacific to 9/15/16 at 10AM Pacific, we will be running a promotion that will provide an additional bonus when opening a Research and Development Pack.
    It's not the 25th of August yet, so it's not released yet.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • daendaedaendae Member Posts: 158 Arc User
    Just curious, has anyone gotten one of the new T6 Connies and flown it around? I can't seem to find any stats on it, and I'm wondering if it is a ship worth spending lots of money trying to get (other than the fact that it's a T6 Connie)

From 8/25/16 at 9:30AM Pacific to 9/15/16 at 10AM Pacific, we will be running a promotion that will provide an additional bonus when opening a Research and Development Pack.

Oh. Перепрошую I got dates wrong. Sorry :(

And no, I wasn't speaking Russian. I was speaking Ukrainian :)
  • staq16staq16 Member Posts: 1,181 Arc User

Hey, you stop right there!!!! It’s a tier 6 connie. FIRST we all lose our minds and rage around. THEN we come to our senses and ask such questions mind you? :(

Got to admit, while I reckon I can scrape together 750M EC to buy one off the exchange, I am debating whether the D7 will be enough of an improvement over its FT5U counterpart to justify that kind of expense. Hopefully the new model will be mapped across to existing Fleet K't'ingas.

Really it's Rom fans I feel sorry for; Feds and KDF already have endgame TOS ship options at much more reasonable prices.
  • vampeiyrevampeiyre Member Posts: 633 Arc User
    "I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am."

Oh. Перепрошую I got dates wrong. Sorry :(

Keep your Klingon roleplaying to the KDF subforum or Ten Forward!
    And no, I wasn't speaking Russian. I was speaking Ukrainian :)
    Oh.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    That's just it, it's all stories. None of it was ever fact. And now you're trying to change the story to Paramount said no?

Its not 'changing the story'. Cryptic received their instructions from CBS - the company they were licensing the Star Trek IP from. From Cryptic's perspective "CBS said No" and that's what they passed along to us in the face of never-ending nerdrage on the topic. BUT: CBS never had a motive from withholding the TOS Connie from the players. It's part of their portion of the IP and it's a guarantied money maker. And in fact they DIDN'T prevent other ships of the same era from continuing to appear in higher and higher tier versions, so it's not and never has been an 'immersion issue'. ONLY the Connie was singled out for that restriction. And only the Connie has a prominent place in Paramount's highly profitable movie re-launch of the brand.
    Nobody said no. It was never final. There was only one place in allllllll of STO that ever tried to shut down the topic and claim the answer was final. And that was the FCT thread. Which itself turned out to be just a story, and just as wrong. The poster of that thread will eventually come back along and edit that part for the second time this year.

While I agree nobody official said that it was final - and reality has amply demonstrated that - the 'saying no' part's pretty damn real :). I was only commenting on WHY 'no' was said, and how fairly easy it is to follow the chain of events that would tell you in advance that the release of the T6 TOS Connie was coming. Once we had a KT lockbox in STO, the T6 TOS Connie was absolutely going to happen.

edited August 2016
    I wouldn't say absolutely going to happen - it just seemed very likely.

it could still be that CBS and Paramount agreed to push the Konnie because it would be a nice cross-promotion with the movieverse and the new movie specifically, but keep the Connie out of it because it would be "confusing to the fans" (or whatever marketing-speech they'd use).

But at that point, all bets were off.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,572 Arc User
    For Internet lingo, I meant this tendency of posters on Internet Forums to change things names by shortening them and adding a 'y' or 'ie' at the end, though for the life of me don't know when 'ie' is appropriate and when 'y' should be used.

Connie not Conny
    Sovy not Sovie
    Oddy not Oddie

So many rules my head hurts.

Connie Francis was a singer during the late 50s and early 60s. Two of her hit songs were 'Where the Boys Are' and 'Whose Sorry Now'. I suspect that latter song is more relevant to the current situation. :)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    ltminns wrote: »
    For Internet lingo, I meant this tendency of posters on Internet Forums to change things names by shortening them and adding a 'y' or 'ie' at the end, though for the life of me don't know when 'ie' is appropriate and when 'y' should be used.
    I just follow the herd(ie).

• starcruiser#3423 starcruiser Member Posts: 1,259 Arc User
    stolts wrote: »
    To everyone who kept on asking for an endgame Connie I applaud you. Our efforts have paid off!

And to all those who said to stop asking for it, it will never happen, or didn't think it was a good idea. IN... YOUR... FACE!

It's not a Connie, it's a non Canon JJCrapship. qBCZn9p.png

For real the UGLIEST ship EVER...Ty for asking for it. I rather stay in my Jem bug and be cool pig-2.gif​​
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,667 Arc User
    I wouldn't say absolutely going to happen - it just seemed very likely.

it could still be that CBS and Paramount agreed to push the Konnie because it would be a nice cross-promotion with the movieverse and the new movie specifically, but keep the Connie out of it because it would be "confusing to the fans" (or whatever marketing-speech they'd use).

But at that point, all bets were off.

the CBS/Paramount neckbeards gotta be arrogant or stupid as hell to think the 2 consitutions would 'confuse' the fans.

Like when execs say "well, WE understand the message of the story you wanna make, but the public won't understand."
    The egos of the exces, I tell you.

To me, execs are bean counters who think they have talent or intelligence.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • vampeiyrevampeiyre Member Posts: 633 Arc User
    To everyone who kept on asking for an endgame Connie I applaud you. Our efforts have paid off!

And to all those who said to stop asking for it, it will never happen, or didn't think it was a good idea. IN... YOUR... FACE!

It's not a Connie, it's a non Canon JJCrapship. qBCZn9p.png

For real the UGLIEST ship EVER...Ty for asking for it. I rather stay in my Jem bug and be cool pig-2.gif​​

Pot, kettle, et al.
    "I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am."
    It was never about CBS saying no. To Cryptic, it was always about 'if we release an end-game Constitution sales of our other Federation ships would plummet'. Now that they have the 50th Anniversary and have done a good job of exhausting a ton of other designs and redesigns and re-redesigns, it is time to cash in on the big one. Kelvin Constitution for the set-up in a Lockbox and TOS Constitution for the win in an R&D Promotion. And they still have a few re-redesigns to fill in during the slow season.

You think this is going to be limited time and then over forever? They still have the upcoming Console folks to hit up.

What would Zefram Cochrane think of Cryptic after all this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjQtzV9IZ0Q
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,667 Arc User
    It was never about CBS saying no. To Cryptic, it was always about 'if we release an end-game Constitution sales of our other Federation ships would plummet'. Now that they have the 50th Anniversary and have done a good job of exhausting a ton of other designs and redesigns and re-redesigns, it is time to cash in on the big one. Kelvin Constitution for the set-up in a Lockbox and TOS Constitution for the win in an R&D Promotion. And they still have a few re-redesigns to fill in during the slow season.

You think this is going to be limited time and then over forever? They still have the upcoming Console folks to hit up.

What would Zefram Cochrane think of Cryptic after all this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjQtzV9IZ0Q

Zef was a greedy old, drunk.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • orthodoxaorthodoxa Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    Why do people say this is immersion breaking. It is obviously not the same 200 year old ship. Haven't we seen many things that are old in life that has been gutted and changed. There is a HGTV Series on Vintage House Hunting. Some hundreds of years old house, people love the shell and the craftsmanship and then give the inside a makeover and a refresh to the exterior.

B-52s are how old now? Produced between 1952 and 1962 and is expected to serve until the 2040s.

In this case the ship may be of a totally new design in a classic visual motif. If it offends look the other way or pretend you just wax nostalgic and see something that is not really there. This entire game is out of wack when it comes to a consistent universe.

'There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.'

Yes, I really laugh at folks playing a science-fiction based game crying that a TOS-looking ship is "immersion breaking".

It is not at all uncommon for folks to bring back old styles with new technology. There are plenty of cars on the road right now, from Dodge Challengers to Mustangs, etc. that were deliberately designed to resemble their muscle-car predecessors from the late 60s and early 70s while having all of the modern technology packed into them.

Are we to believe that in the far future that people will not be able to make new technology wrapped in an old style? I would find it far more immersion breaking if people seriously wanted me to believe that they would not be capable of doing that in the far future.

And for me personally, I LOVE seeing some TOS style stuff enter into the game. I'm an old fogie and TOS was the show I watched when I was a toddler on up, so the old style carries an emotional resonance with me. I can completely understand if someone younger who started out with a later show in the franchise likes the looks of that show better -- but there is plenty of stuff in that style in the game, they can get it and play with it to their heart's content. Now, there are simply some goodies offered to TOS fans as well.
    34ru9dw.jpg
  • snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    nikeix wrote: »
    Given the stories ...

That's just it, it's all stories. None of it was ever fact. And now you're trying to change the story to Paramount said no?
    The story for me was always that CBS "said no". Why they did it - maybe because contracts with Paramount or the general legal situation around the Star Trek franchise ownership - I don't know. Originally I had assumed, ignorant of marketing concerns, that it was an immersion topic, but that flew out of the window either with the first Jem'Hadar ship or the first Tier 5 Retrofit (C-Store or Fleet) of low tier vessels like the Excelsior.

But of course, CBS (and by extension) Paramount can change their agreement and contracts, if the involved parties agree. Obviously they did, which I think is good. But I suspect that the cries on the forums for a Tier 6 Connie did not affect that. The relevant decision makers were far removed from Cryptic and the STO community.
    What those good old frequently created endgame Connie threads might have affected that is the decision to put these ships in lockboxes and promo boxes.

So while we're sharing stories let's get this one into the mix ...

A lot of people on these forums waaaaaaay back when wanted this ship. A whole heck of a lot. And once the excelsior came out, it gave a lot of those people hope because now an older ship was being offered at end-game tier.

But ... a vocal minority of the forums had a hissy fit about that movement. Some of them love the excelsior. Others love the TMP enterprise. Others love TNG. Others DS9. And so on and so forth. So the arguments began.

And that's what this is all about. That's the story. Arguments.

On the forums.

Time and time and time again.

No matter how often someone who wanted the end-game tier Constitution would pose the question and then back up their desire with tons of examples of ships already in the game that did not follow any rhyme, reason or established logic that the ship TIER system supposedly had ... the vocal minority of people who were against the idea of some people getting their 1960s style hero ship to fly next to that person's 1990s style hero ship just had to smack it down. With ire and vitriol on both sides.

So over at CBS, they just didn't OK the request for whatever reasons. It doesn't matter. Because the people who kept making the request on the forums were Trek fans and were going to keep making the request.

But those arguments wouldn't go away.

And that's where the FCT came from. That's where the "CBS said no ... AND THAT'S FINAL" idea came from.

It.

Was.

Never.

Final.

No matter what one person said when that person created the FCT thread.

But that thread got posted and became a weapon. To get this argument, that was ALWAYS WRONG, shot down again and again and again.

So here's my 2 cents. The story isn't going to change to "Well it was paramount that was saying no" ... oh no, that's not what we're going to let happen here.

The story is finally going to get it right for once.

The decision was NEVER final. And alllllll of the people who liked this ship and simply wanted to request it so they could fly it ... were right to ask for it. The FCT was wrong. And was always wrong. And will always have been wrong. The people who claimed some innate logic behind not having this ship, be it age, size, power capability, CBS executive order, Cryptic Dev bias, or now PARAMOUNT ... were just plain wrong.

This ship will exist in this game. Kudos to everyone who ever asked for it, and subsequently took abuse from the vocal minority who selfishly hated on fellow Trek fans for having the same desire to fly a favorite ship in a game they play, just because their favorite ship wasn't that person's favorite ship.

This victory is for all the people who had to put up with the backwards logic that the Connie was too old, but the Excelsior wasn't ... this victory is for every single person who was new to the game, posted on the forums asking this question and got attacked with the "CBS said no" hatred ... this victory is for all the people who rightfully understood that when Daniel Stahl said "never say never" that the request deserved to still be posted and asked for.

Because the STORY here is that the FCT thread existed with an agenda to halt a debate, and was never based on any official decision that was ever final. Paramount did not say no. One person who made the FCT thread did. And that person was wrong. Very very wrong as we now see with the release of the T6 Connie's stats!

That's the story.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • xanderkentxanderkent Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    It's got to be the one of the powerful ships in game. I think it's OP. It's stats should have gone to Assault Cruiser. I'm not bashing it, I'm very happy for anyone who gets it. I'm happy with my 10.00 Kelvin Connie. It's just my opinion that this ship has the raw stats to go toe to toe with the Scimitar/Avenger etc. Obviously builds and play styles are a factor.
    If you set a man a fire he will be warm for a night. If you a man on fire he will be warm for the rest of his life.
  • sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    anazonda wrote: »
    Personally, I applaud Cryptic for this work around...

EVERYONE who asked for a T6 Connie HAVE to be happy now, because it's here... If they aren't happy, they're hypocrites.

Ha ha ha, you have a point.

Here it is, enjoy!
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

Is it REALLY that hard to distinguish between "No, and that's final" (which was NEVER said) and "No, and QUIT ASKING." Which was said quite explicitly?

Come on people. Not that hard.
  • thlaylierahthlaylierah Member Posts: 2,985 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    It boggles my mind how people can't understand the justifiable rage of those that were stamped down time and time again for requesting this end game Connie.

And now it's here and we won, twice.
  • thlaylierahthlaylierah Member Posts: 2,985 Arc User
    I believe they're raging about the way that it has been offered.

It will require some effort to achieve.

This appears to bother some.
    They wanted TO HAVE ONE. I doubt they ever seriously thought about how much the most iconic ship in the entire franchise would cost...
  • psiameesepsiameese Member Posts: 1,649 Arc User
    That's the story.
    I applaud you. That was awesome reading.

(/\) Exploring Star Trek Online Since July 2008 (/\)
    nikeix wrote: »
    They wanted TO HAVE ONE. I doubt they ever seriously thought about how much the most iconic ship in the entire franchise would cost...
    As usual - some didn't. Others; I am pretty confident, didn't care, and would pay "any" price. ;)
  • potasssiumpotasssium Member Posts: 1,226 Arc User
    I always liked the Movie Enterprise Connie Refit much more, and very much prefer it to the Campy ToS design.

With that in mind and the fact I much more of a KDF player, I find the T6 D7 much more appealing, but not worth the cost when compared to a T5U Fleet version in terms of appearance or a T6 Fleet Might in terms of stats. So really a non starter for me.

Likewise, with the T6 Make, the T'liss is a miss.
    Thanks for the Advanced Light Cruiser, Allied Escort Bundles, Jem-Hadar Light Battlecruiser, and Mek'leth
    New Content Wishlist
    T6 updates for the Kamarag & Vor'Cha
    Heavy Cruiser & a Movie Era Style AoY Utility Cruiser
    Dahar Master Jacket

False assumption. The method for acquisition is the primary focus of the angst. There are those that have always been against an end game Constitution and @snoggymack22 wrote extensively about that in a post. But let's be clear, it is not that group that is primarily the focus of the Forum 'rage'.
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • pwemademedothispwemademedothis Member Posts: 86 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    It.

Was.

Never.

Final.

Bravo. I salute you sir.

"I don't believe in the no-win scenario"

• stoltsstolts Member Posts: 482 Arc User
    To be fair all of us including me who were asking for a T6 Constitution. Were just asking for one we didn't specify how. So be careful what you wish for would apply here. Fortunately for me I am willing to pay the price
    1686is5.jpg
    The first Belfast was commanded by Captain Ve'Kal Shon until its destruction in 2409. A new ship was commissioned bearing the same name and registry as special dispensation to then newly promoted Captain Edward XIII for his pivotal role during the renewed Dominion War.
  • vengefuldjinnvengefuldjinn Member Posts: 1,521 Arc User
    Sometimes a Connie is just a Connie.
    Better having ANY endgame-capable Connie than none.

Sigh, I suppose your right.

tumblr_o2aau3b7nh1rkvl19o1_400.gif

coldnapalm wrote: »
    To be fair all of us including me who were asking for a T6 Constitution. Were just asking for one we didn't specify how. So be careful what you wish for would apply here. Fortunately for me I am willing to pay the price

Fortunately for cryptic and mooches like me who don't pay nearly what we should you mean. You are basically boned. BTW thanks for covering my tab ;) .
    Exactly how it works in the world of F2P. And I am fine with it, because we both get what we want, where if it didn't work like this, probably neither of us would.

Basically, F2P is socialism. :p

This is probably how the Federation works - there are people that spend years of learning and education and then go out to risk their life exploring the stars, others work part-time as a waiter in a restaurant, others run from one never-completed artistic project to another - but they all have access to replicators and transporters and they'll get an artificial heart or an eyeball cloned whenever neccessary.

This discussion has been closed.