test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

with the ago here in UK

Comments

• Options
    terranempire#7881 terranempire Member Posts: 1,222 Arc User
    They say if look in a mirror and say Ronald McDonald's name three times then this is what happens...

::Video snipped out of an abundance of caution::

Warning: this is pretty violent, not for anyone under 18.

If his hair was on fire that would be exactly what I'd expect from Twisted Metal's Sweet Tooth character, that was awesome!

It might be against the rules to post such a violent and gruesome video though ... idk for sure just speculating, you might want to check so you don't get in trouble.

if just that brief image is any indication of what the rest of the clip is like...yeah, i think that would fall under inappropriate objectionable material​​

I'll edited it out just encase. Thanks.

tumblr_p30rz12vWH1qdb2vqo6_r1_540.gif
    "Great men are not peacemakers, Great men are conquerors!" - Captain Archer"
    "When diplomacy fails, there's only one alternative - violence. Force must be applied without apology. It's the Starfleet way." - Captain Janeway
    #Support Mirror Universe I.S.S. Prefixes
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    risian4 wrote: »
    artan42 wrote: »
    echatty wrote: »
    You know, IBTL posts have been declared a no-no.

I heard that the UK had voted to leave the EU. I wish them luck.

England and Wales voted out. Scotland and NI voted to remain, but obviously their votes don't count, only England's.

Well, one step further back from a united Earth and more petty nationalism.

Well that remains to be seen. I don't think it will actually come to a Brexit, given the huge stakes involved (there's a reason why, for example, 75% of London voted to remain. And it's not like it's a huge victory for anyone anyway, if you look at how the issue seems to have divided the country almost and maybe eventually quite literally in half).

Funny thing is, even those who are heavily critisizing the EU, immediately said they wanted to negotiate new treaties between the UK and them. So despite all their complaining, they implicitly agreed that this oh-so-bad EU is actually quite important to their welfare.

Yes, because they admitted they lied throughout the entire campaign. There was a retraction of major statistics used by 'Leave' yesterday, statistics that were likely to have swung the vote in some large cities.

Turns out blind nationalism and mild xenophobia aren't enough to fix all your problems.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    edited June 2016
    Turns out blind nationalism and mild xenophobia aren't enough to fix all your problems.​​

but they CAN get you elected!
  • Options
    lazarus51166lazarus51166 Member Posts: 646 Arc User

England and Wales voted out. Scotland and NI voted to remain, but obviously their votes don't count, only England's.

Well that remains to be seen. I don't think it will actually come to a Brexit, given the huge stakes involved (there's a reason why, for example, 75% of London voted to remain. And it's not like it's a huge victory for anyone anyway, if you look at how the issue seems to have divided the country almost and maybe eventually quite literally in half).

Funny thing is, even those who are heavily critisizing the EU, immediately said they wanted to negotiate new treaties between the UK and them. So despite all their complaining, they implicitly agreed that this oh-so-bad EU is actually quite important to their welfare.

Yes, because they admitted they lied throughout the entire campaign. There was a retraction of major statistics used by 'Leave' yesterday, statistics that were likely to have swung the vote in some large cities.

That statement is as ignorant as it gets. There is nothing xenophobic nor is it 'blind nationalism' to want self determination and sovereignty. Take a good look at what the EU did to Greece and what it is both trying to do to and has done to Romania. Take a good look at how the EU actually works. Its very concept is anti-democratic. It leads to EU laws being forced on people who did not have a say in them, by politicians that the citizens of a country did not vote for and have no recourse against. and take a good look at the number of times the EU has done questionable things to try to get article 50 of the lisbon treaty repealed. You know, the part that says countries have a right to leave the EU. Those are not the actions of a democracy. Tell me why the EU wants its own armed forces. Each member country already has one, plus there is NATO, so there is no need for a separate military. The EU was sold on the idea of being an economic union, and its been turning more and more - and will continue to turn more and more, into a political one.

As for negotiating new treaties with the EU, that is what they are supposed to do. Just because they are leaving the EU it doesn't magically mean they do not have to associate with them in any way. They still have political and economic ties to member countries.

Stop attacking people for exercising their democratic right to self determination. Clearly some people have a real problem with democracy
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User

Turns out blind nationalism and mild xenophobia aren't enough to fix all your problems.

It's a sad moment you realize that somehow human civilization reached it's high note in the invention of nationalism and imperialism in the 18th century, because for some stupid reason we keep going back to it, again and again and again.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    yreodredyreodred Member Posts: 3,527 Arc User
    angrytarg wrote: »

Turns out blind nationalism and mild xenophobia aren't enough to fix all your problems.

It's a sad moment you realize that somehow human civilization reached it's high note in the invention of nationalism and imperialism in the 18th century, because for some stupid reason we keep going back to it, again and again and again.​​
    Indeed.
    Everytime you come to think that people may have become a tiny bit wiser, there's always someone yelling old tirades and evoking old enemy images and pointing fingers at others. And the sad thing is, there will always be plenty of people just waiting to follow someone like that. Humanity doesn't evolve, individuals do occasionally. But behind the curtain most are still cavemen.
    "...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--" - (TNG) Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie

A tale of two Picards
    (also applies to Star Trek in general)
  • Options
    nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    Cavemen? Try monkeys. Not even apes. Apes are civilized.
  • Options
    samt1996samt1996 Member Posts: 2,856 Arc User
    The EU is falling apart they're just jumping ship before they go down with it. A perfectly reasonable choice.
  • Options
    samt1996 wrote: »
    The EU is falling apart they're just jumping ship before they go down with it. A perfectly reasonable choice.

There's nothing falling apart, it gets talked apart and people, despite having all the technical requirements to educate themselves prefer to fall for unfounded fearmongering instead of forming educated opinions. That what populists thrive on and it's à la mode these days.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    nickcastletonnickcastleton Member Posts: 1,212 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    thay8472 wrote: »
    Because the Iconian Guy is right.

This isn't an issue for STO ... Unless the Nahk'ul are behind this somehow ... DAMN YOU TIME TRAVEL!
    of course, Boris Johnson doesn't look human why didn't i realize this before.

0bzJyzP.gif

"It appears we have lost our sex appeal, captain."- Tuvok
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    If you say out loud Politics 3 times into a mirror, Donald Trump arrives and gives you a comb over.

Just tried it and he didn't give me a comb over, instead he built a wall in the doorway. I can't get out of my bathroom now :(

Please, keep your The Sims gameplay experiences out of the Star Trek Online forums.

:p
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    coolbatman wrote: »
    darmak and jalhad at tanagra..........

Maybe you werent born then or maybe you missed it , but that was a great tour it was the greatest tour ever done, nothing like it before or since.

Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra Sep 30 1991
    If you missed it, Shaka when the walls fell

166551241_darmok-and-jalad-at-tanagra-design-inspired-by-the-90-s-.jpg
    back2.png?auto=format&fit=max&h=1000&w=1000
  • Options
    vampeiyrevampeiyre Member Posts: 633 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    thay8472 wrote: »
    Because the Iconian Guy is right.

This isn't an issue for STO ... Unless the Nahk'ul are behind this somehow ... DAMN YOU TIME TRAVEL!
    of course, Boris Johnson doesn't look human why didn't i realize this before.

[/quote]

It's quite funny, the first time I saw Boris Johnson, I thought he was a UK comedian doing a satire of Trump. It took a surprisingly long time for it to dawn on me that he was being serious.
    "I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am."
  • Options
    wildthyme467989wildthyme467989 Member Posts: 1,286 Arc User
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p03zg4z4

I'm just going to leave this here (from BBC Radio, so should be available worldwide) 'cos 'ol Boris was mentioned, i'ts pretty funny
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter

That statement is as ignorant as it gets. There is nothing xenophobic nor is it 'blind nationalism' to want self determination and sovereignty. Take a good look at what the EU did to Greece and what it is both trying to do to and has done to Romania. Take a good look at how the EU actually works. Its very concept is anti-democratic. It leads to EU laws being forced on people who did not have a say in them, by politicians that the citizens of a country did not vote for and have no recourse against. and take a good look at the number of times the EU has done questionable things to try to get article 50 of the lisbon treaty repealed. You know, the part that says countries have a right to leave the EU. Those are not the actions of a democracy. Tell me why the EU wants its own armed forces. Each member country already has one, plus there is NATO, so there is no need for a separate military. The EU was sold on the idea of being an economic union, and its been turning more and more - and will continue to turn more and more, into a political one.

As for negotiating new treaties with the EU, that is what they are supposed to do. Just because they are leaving the EU it doesn't magically mean they do not have to associate with them in any way. They still have political and economic ties to member countries.

Stop attacking people for exercising their democratic right to self determination. Clearly some people have a real problem with democracy

You seem to think I said the EU was perfect. England isn't Greece or Romania, two countries that should not have been allowed in yet.
    Oh, self determination eh? Fancy naming something we couldn't do whilst we were in the EU? Anything at all? I understand that when Farage or Boris tells you that we're being oppressed it's easier to accept it rather than using joined up thinking and looking it up yourself but there's no need to say it out loud.
    Oh, and you know who doesn't have the right to self determination? The people of NI and Scotland who are being dragged along with England and Wales' madness. Is that democracy?

Oh, and that thing about a EU armed forces? WE HAD A VETO. You realise that now we don't right? Our right to effect the EU was lost when the 'leave' voters were fed a constant diet of lies (lies that are being retracted even now) in order to stir up feelings of protectionism that needn't exist.

Still, largest stock dive since the 80's and billions gone from our largest companies, so some good news then. At least we can now buy funny shaped fruit.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    risian4risian4 Member Posts: 3,711 Arc User
    edited June 2016

Sorry, but those critisisms about how things are 'forced upon us' never made sense to me (I hear them quite often from my fellow Dutchmen as well). Beside the elections for the European Parliament, this referendum proved that there is quite some support. Yes, the people who voted for the Brexit got a majority. But the referendum also showed that a significant part is supportive of the EU and that it's not some 'elitist project' that those who oppose it often make it out to be. Unless 48% of the population is suddenly part of this 'elite' (I guess that people on here are less understanding of its definition due to this game's difficulty levels and the fact that some missions are hardly worthy of being called 'elite' ;) )

Those changes from it being an economic union to a more political one have also been supported by large parts of participating nations, regardless of how some people keep trying to pretend that 'no one wanted the EU' and such nonsense when it is, in fact, usually a minority who's voting against the EU during elections.

Also, it's quite logical to have political integration alongside economic integration, simply because in order to have a good working economic unity, you need some of the same rules and a level playing field or it won't work.

And of course I understand that they still have ties to member countries. My point was, those who are opposing the EU should at the very least admit that they do benefit a lot from it, cause why else would they make new negotiations with the EU a priority? I guess it's the same old problem as it has been on most EU-related issues with the Brits: they (or at least those who are more or less 'opposing' the EU) do want the benefits of the EU (either as part of it or as an ally of it through treaties) but they don't want the costs of full participation.
  • Options
    It's usual populist speak to alienate foreign groups, advocating "taking back our country" and fearmonger by telling lies to the uninformed public while nobody of those who vote actually knows what's going on.

The EU is far from perfect. But abandoning even the idea of a unified Europe in favour of constant fear, xenophobia, nationalism and isolationism under a shady and dishonest demagouge's regime that benefits nobody but themselves is really not the way anyone should go in this day and age.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
  • Options
    gradiigradii Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    The problem with one world government is if it's a corrupt one there's nowhere left to go. Power corrupts, leaving the better option to have multiple places to choose from.

"He shall be my finest warrior, this generic man who was forced upon me.
    Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
    he shall be of iron will and steely sinew.
    In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
    He will be untouched by plague or disease; no sickness shall blight him.
    He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
    He is my answer to cryptic logic, he is the Defender of my Romulan Crew.
    He is Tovan Khev... and he shall know no fear."
  • Options
    szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    The irony about all this is that the Brexit might very well lead to fundamental changes in the EU, to more democracy, transparency and participation. The exact reason why many labour voters in the center and left were in favor of Britain leaving.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Sounds like you're describing the UK as if it's Romulan Star Empire and our government is the Tal Shiar...

N1ai1iG.gif
    "When diplomacy fails, there's only one alternative - violence. Force must be applied without apology. It's the Starfleet way." - Captain Janeway
  • Options
    gradii wrote: »
    The problem with one world government is if it's a corrupt one there's nowhere left to go. Power corrupts, leaving the better option to have multiple places to choose from.

a) Who's talking about a world government?

and

b) Why do you assume a world government would be some kind of totalitarian entity? Try a Federation, something like the UN with it's members actually trying to improve each other's lives and common prosperity instead of trying to get the most out of it for themselves.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
  • Options

a) Who's talking about a world government?

and

b) Why do you assume a world government would be some kind of totalitarian entity? Try a Federation, something like the UN with it's members actually trying to improve each other's lives and common prosperity instead of trying to get the most out of it for themselves.​​

I said if and I meant if. theres always that danger. Really what needs to happen before we start condensing the power blocks on the planet is, we need to stop going to war with each other.

Many factors would contribute to the success of that goal including developing our technology to the point where we get to the post scarcity level. that would make a united humanity much much more likely.

Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
    In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
    He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
  • Options
    darakossdarakoss Member Posts: 850 Arc User
    What does this have to do with STO?
    i-dont-always-funny-meme.jpg
    original join date 2010

Member: Team Trekyards. Visit Trekyards today!
  • Options
    I said if and I meant if. theres always that danger. Really what needs to happen before we start condensing the power blocks on the planet is, we need to stop going to war with each other.

Many factors would contribute to the success of that goal including developing our technology to the point where we get to the post scarcity level. that would make a united humanity much much more likely.

That is true, however we are actually at a point where scarcity of goods is not a problem. It's not sharing with "them" because then "we" have less that's the problem pig-2.gif​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2016

That is true, however we are actually at a point where scarcity of goods is not a problem. It's not sharing with "them" because then "we" have less that's the problem pig-2.gif​​

Theres also the tricky bit about when people tried to enforce sharing the goods in certain countries, it failed horribly and millions of people died.

• Options
    risian4risian4 Member Posts: 3,711 Arc User
    darakoss wrote: »
    What does this have to do with STO?

Well it's a nice discussion among fans of a franchise where all of Earth is united. The European Union could be considered a first step in that direction so you might argue that it is a Star Trek related debate. Maybe it should be moved to Ten Forward as it doesn't have that much to do with the game, but I'm sure that will happen as soon as a mod thinks it's necessary.

Until now, although there has been disagreement, I wouldn't say that this one thread has seen problematic comments in it (especially compared to other game-related threads) or anything (all comments were made about groups rather than individuals with certain opinions) so I wouldn't mind if they kept it here. In fact, I'm pleasantly surprised with the discussion so far.
  • Options
    wildthyme467989wildthyme467989 Member Posts: 1,286 Arc User
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37iHSwA1SwE

I'll just leave this here too
  • Options

I'll just leave this here too

tumblr_lms7eoctIz1qdsvrf.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIBzXrKBVhk

vreenak.jpg

Cheers!