test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

with the ago here in UK

Comments

• samt1996samt1996 Member Posts: 2,856 Arc User
    The EU was meant as an economic entity to rival other large markets. Fair enough but what it's morphing into many people have a problem with and rightly so. Germany is over here offering to help bail Greece out of country demolishing debt and what is their response? Oh yeah we'll take all your money but TRIBBLE you and your rules we deserve this. The EU allowed this type of behavior and now the successful nations like Germany and the UK were basically obligated to sacrifice themselves and their people to help the poorly run and managed nations. The EU is usurping more and more political power which clearly some people are ok with and some people are not. The biggest issue I see is that EU officials are not elected democratically at all so who really has the power here? The goal of one nation over Europe isn't a bad idea but I question th EU'S approach and clearly I'm not the only one. It is heading nowhere good, they need to start over.
  • nadiezjanadiezja Member Posts: 629 Arc User
    Star Trek doesn't leave reality at the door. It never has.
    In other depressing news the new Star Trek show could very well be unwatchable. The people working on it are thrilled to be on streaming because they say it gives them complete freedom without restrictive ratings to do anything they want... well Star Trek has always been a show every member of the family could enjoy and if they wreck that I will strangle every last one of them in their sleep. It would also fail miserably and get the franchise canned for decades just like Stargate was by that godawful Universe.
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    samt1996 wrote: »
    In other depressing news the new Star Trek show could very well be unwatchable. The people working on it are thrilled to be on streaming because they say it gives them complete freedom without restrictive ratings to do anything they want... well Star Trek has always been a show every member of the family could enjoy and if they wreck that I will strangle every last one of them in their sleep. It would also fail miserably and get the franchise canned for decades just like Stargate was by that godawful Universe.

As someone who's dream trek show would be a game of thrones style show set entirely in the mirror universe with a mature rating, I have no problem with this.

If I wrote the pilot for said show, I would get a really big name to play the captain, build him up as a really important character, and right before the closing credits the first officer would vaporize him.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
    edited June 2016
    There's plenty of p.orn on television these days without desecrating one of the few franchises left that's worth a damn. Gene Roddenberry would rise from the grave to hunt down whoever were to do that to his baby.
    There's plenty of **** on television these days without desecrating one of the few franchises left that's worth a damn.

I'm going to assume the censored word was a reference to a body part. My reference to game of thrones was not intended to apply to nudity, but rather the brutal violence and frequent surprise deaths. In GoT no one is safe, episode to episode or book to book anyone and everyone can die a horrible death, and that's the type of thing I would want for a mirror universe show.
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • darakossdarakoss Member Posts: 850 Arc User

When they say restrictive ratings they mean network ratings.....they wont have to compete for timeslots. Also without being under the oversight of standards and practices they can tackle more issues that would make most network producers uncomfortable.
    i-dont-always-funny-meme.jpg
    original join date 2010

Member: Team Trekyards. Visit Trekyards today!
    The Mirror Universe is/could be a lot of fun but I don't think you could build a show on it. It would lead to too much confusion.
    Which makes me uncomfortable, when Star Trek chose to touch on difficult topics it did so gracefully and lightly in a way that made you think without going too far. That episode with Dax and her wife from a previous life is a model example of how such subject matter should be treated. Gene Roddenberry didn't shove things down your throat he came up with a good story to make you think. The interviews we've had so far it appears to me that his successors will not honor his finesse and will drive away much of their potential audience by going hardcore "progressive" or worse. That is not the Star Trek way that is the way of the uneducated and illogical.
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    There's plenty of p.orn on television these days without desecrating one of the few franchises left that's worth a damn. Gene Roddenberry would rise from the grave to hunt down whoever were to do that to his baby.
    Have you ever actually watched Gene's Star Trek???

Sex, Drugs and Rock'n Roll were very much at the forefront of his mind.
    smh
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
    I read the interview. Nowhere did they say they were going hardcore progressive. You're jumping to conclusions. BTW Roddenberry didn't even come close to coming up with all those stories to begin with. That was Gene Coon, DC Fontana, Harland Ellis, Maurice Hurley, Tracy Torme, etc.......
    original join date 2010

• cbrjwrrcbrjwrr Member Posts: 2,782 Arc User
    artan42 wrote: »
    echatty wrote: »
    You know, IBTL posts have been declared a no-no.

I heard that the UK had voted to leave the EU. I wish them luck.

England and Wales voted out. Scotland and NI voted to remain, but obviously their votes don't count, only England's.

Well, one step further back from a united Earth and more petty nationalism.​​

You really shouldn't do massive generalisations like that; what you are deliberately trying to do is present it as a England vs the rest of the UK issue, and it isn't like that.

The actual votes were 62% of Scots who voted voting to remain, which is not “Scotland voted to remain” as that would need to be 100%. Not even a “landslide” or “overwhelming majority” as those imply at least 70-80% if not higher.

3,987,112 voters who were eligible to vote in Scotland: Of them, only 67.2% of them did. When compared to the national average of 72.2% of eligible voters voting, Scots cared less than the rest of the UK; keeping in mind they turned out at 85% for their Scottish Referendum in 2014.

Of that 67.2%, 1,661,191 people voted remain, and 1,018,332 voted to leave. This means that only 41.66% of Scots voted for remain, which is not even a simple majority of Scots.

The only thing you do get right is that listed by local authority it does look like all of Scotland voted remain - but if we use that logic, then 2014 was a ‘landslide’ and 'overwhelming majority’ vote to stay in the UK, given only 4 local authorities voted to leave the UK.

And for Northern Ireland, 55.8% voted remain, 44.2% voted to leave, which is 323,738 voters and 7 out of 18 constituencies. Which is even more damning for your portrayal of the situation than Scotland was.

From the BBC, an organisation who were devoted to being pro-EU throughout: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-36614284

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-36616830

The twin ironies of this stupid blunder of yours is that the Leave campaign would have lost without the Northern Irish and Scottish voters. The English did not force them out, and if they had voted the way you wanted them to, your post should properly be revised to just over 1.3 million voters deciding whether any of the English 13,266,996 remain, 15,188,406 leave, and Welsh 772,347 Remain and 854,572 leave voters get what they want - and secondly, trying to make this about Irish/Scottish vs English/Welsh is exactly contrary to your supposed ideal of "Well, one step further back from a united Earth and more petty nationalism."

• artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    That's some really effective manipulation of statistics to attempt to suggest that Scotland can be overruled. Still not as creative as the statistics 'leave' used in the campaign, but creative nonetheless.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • cbrjwrrcbrjwrr Member Posts: 2,782 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    That's some really effective manipulation of statistics to attempt to suggest that Scotland can be overruled. Still not as creative as the statistics 'leave' used in the campaign, but creative nonetheless.

I thought you'd carry on ignoring the more than a million Scots who voted to leave to suit your agenda. I mean, as you've said: " but obviously their votes don't count, only England's".

And in any case, all I did was state voter numbers and percentages, while using a Pro-Remain source. There was no creativity here, just stating facts quoted from the remain side.

I showed how Scotland and Northern Ireland were not being over-ruled; far from it, they made the bulk of a crucial majority for the leave campaign, without whom the gap between remain and leave would be around 100 thousand votes in Remain's favour, and we wouldn't be having this conversation because your lie that this was a England vs Northern Ireland/Scotland issue would have actually been true.

I still would have commented, given you immediately choose to divide based on nationality, then contradict yourself by positing that international unity is a good thing.
    Post edited by cbrjwrr on
  • laughingtrendy#5866 laughingtrendy Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    Yeah that's how it is here in the California. The Cryptic offices are a bunch of turds right now.
    Yeah that's how it is here in the California. The Cryptic offices are a bunch of turds right now.

@pwlaughingtrendy imposter detected!
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • terranempire#7881 terranempire Member Posts: 1,222 Arc User
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWwOJlOI1nU
    Time to launch the escape pod.
    tumblr_p30rz12vWH1qdb2vqo6_r1_540.gif
    "Great men are not peacemakers, Great men are conquerors!" - Captain Archer"
    "When diplomacy fails, there's only one alternative - violence. Force must be applied without apology. It's the Starfleet way." - Captain Janeway
    #Support Mirror Universe I.S.S. Prefixes
  • whamhammer1whamhammer1 Member Posts: 2,290 Arc User
    Anytime when a small amount of people can control a far larger group of people, caution should be taken, and precautions made to reject leadership when it has gone tryanical, or is a failure.

Enough people in the UK believed the EU was or will be a failure for the people and sovereignty of the UK, and voted to leave, get over it guys.

Now, when are we getting more info on AoY?
  • sarreoussarreous Member Posts: 336 Arc User
    voted to leave, get over it guys.

Less than 52%. So for nearly every person who voted to leave, another voted to stay. I don't think there's going to be any getting over of the it anytime soon. Especially with the reports that many who voted to leave are either changing their minds or weren't serious about it to begin with and didn't think it would actually happen.

Well whatever. I suppose I can take this as an opportunity to point and laugh at the countries who like to point and laugh at my country. I won't, but I could.
  • whamhammer1whamhammer1 Member Posts: 2,290 Arc User
    null

@sarreous

I believe that 52 is more than 48, and the referendum was for a majority, was it not? I am sure if the leavers were the 48, the remainers wouldnt be saying what you are.

Also "people who voted for it are changing thier minds, or werent serious about it", what the heck? Votes have consequences , if you voted, you voted, its not preschool, no backsies', or "that wasnt my real vote, this ones for real". The funny thing about real-life is there are real-cosequences to ones actions, maybe if more people were held to that reality, the world would be closer to the "Utopianistic" vision some see in Star Trek.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User

As someone who's dream trek show would be a game of thrones style show set entirely in the mirror universe with a mature rating, I have no problem with this.

If I wrote the pilot for said show, I would get a really big name to play the captain, build him up as a really important character, and right before the closing credits the first officer would vaporize him.

Sean Bean isn't doing anything right now, is he? :p
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    Instead of burning bridges left and right, supporters and remainers would be well adviced to calm down and work out a solution to this mess together.

Sean Bean isn't doing anything right now, is he? :p

Probably not but you'd have to kill him off in the first couple of episodes ;)
    original join date 2010

• sarreoussarreous Member Posts: 336 Arc User
    null

@sarreous

I believe that 52 is more than 48, and the referendum was for a majority, was it not? I am sure if the leavers were the 48, the remainers wouldnt be saying what you are.

Also "people who voted for it are changing thier minds, or werent serious about it", what the heck? Votes have consequences , if you voted, you voted, its not preschool, no backsies', or "that wasnt my real vote, this ones for real". The funny thing about real-life is there are real-cosequences to ones actions, maybe if more people were held to that reality, the world would be closer to the "Utopianistic" vision some see in Star Trek.

Lemme rephrase. The results were stupidly close, and the fact that nearly half don't want it doesn't matter. All that matters is majority rules, regardless of how small that majority is. In some cases it would be appropriate. In this case I think it should have required at least 60% or so. But I'm not a policy maker. Nor am I British. Though I do speak English, just not the Queen's. :tongue:

Votes have consequences - I agree. Maybe in the future those who voted to leave without taking it seriously or doing their research will be more careful with their votes. That's an issue that I have with voters in general with every election. Do they actually know what they are voting for? I do my research. What about the next two people in line behind me who could override my vote with catchphrases instead of facts?

My whole point behind my comment before was that I expect to see much more debate over it seeing as a.) it's clearly a divisive issue (in another forum someone posted a rant on how the leave crowd has just made their life much more difficult with their vote) and b.) the UK legislature could always decide on an alternative to leaving.
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    Just to make it clear, I wanted a majority decision regardless on who won. 52-48 is too close to do anything other than alienate an entire half of a population regardless on what decision was reached. So even if 'Remain' had have won by those same numbers I prefer a fresh vote be taken because I understand exactly what 'half the population' means.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    Just to make it clear, I wanted a majority decision regardless on who won. 52-48 is too close to do anything other than alienate an entire half of a population regardless on what decision was reached. So even if 'Remain' had have won by those same numbers I prefer a fresh vote be taken because I understand exactly what 'half the population' means.​​

Which is something they should have thought of in advance. You can't just change the rules afterwards because you don't like the outcome. It would be highly questionable from a democratic point of view. Even more so since the referendum on joining the EEC in 1975 did not require a 60% or 2/3 majority either (even though it was favored by 67% of voters).

That being said the 48% can't just be ignored entirely. British negotiators should try once again to reform the EU, make it more democratic and give at least some level of immigration control back to its member states. After that, they could schedule another referendum on whether to remain part of this reformed European Union or to leave anyways.

• reynoldsxdreynoldsxd Member Posts: 977 Arc User
    Ok, i think i have to share this:

"[...]It is ironic that the United Kingdom's people, blindly following some twats with hair for hats, have at last done more damage to themselves, their prestige, their economy and their relations with a peacefull Europe than 2 world wars ever could.

Now that Britain has shot itself i nthe foot we should casually look how this came to be.

The EU skeptics gained real traction (in fact many grousp like that gained traction all over europe) when the Refugee crisis came tio a head with German Chancellor Merkel's call for a consolidated european effort to deal with this crisis. Suddnely doors slammed shut, borders were secured and Masks were ripped of the Faces of European Countrys.

Instead of a managed, solidary effort all europes newest members as much as some of the oldest had to say was: no refugees!

The UK's leaver campaign used this crisis to stir up fear and make gains, coming as far as having Cameron agree to a referendum. Cameron obviously never assumed that the vote could ever go against the EU, with the UK being so dependant on said union of states.
    Just think about it:

The UK had a sweet deal going with the EU, all the benefits, less off the hassle. Extrawurst braten, is the german term.
    Example?
    Tourism is easy in the EU: go where you want. But when Britain leaves the EU... no more easy travel. Suddenly its bothersome. You need Passports and customs checks.
    Health insurance covers all of the EU Member States, so no extra travel arrangement have to be made... but leave the eu and sudedenly Tourists will have to deal with all sorts of TRIBBLE you wont wanna shovel just to go to bloody england...
    Britain has nothing to fall back to. Its agressively wrecking its own wealth, because the british people were to dumb to read up on all this leaver shiite.

So, after like a hundred years, Germany wins. By being saints.

>Well played. [/...]

• illyrian2008illyrian2008 Member Posts: 271 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    reynoldsxd wrote: »
    Ok, i think i have to share this:

"[...]It is ironic that the United Kingdom's people, blindly following some twats with hair for hats, have at last done more damage to themselves, their prestige, their economy and their relations with a peacefull Europe than 2 world wars ever could.

Now that Britain has shot itself i nthe foot we should casually look how this came to be.

The EU skeptics gained real traction (in fact many grousp like that gained traction all over europe) when the Refugee crisis came tio a head with German Chancellor Merkel's call for a consolidated european effort to deal with this crisis. Suddnely doors slammed shut, borders were secured and Masks were ripped of the Faces of European Countrys.

Instead of a managed, solidary effort all europes newest members as much as some of the oldest had to say was: no refugees!

The UK's leaver campaign used this crisis to stir up fear and make gains, coming as far as having Cameron agree to a referendum. Cameron obviously never assumed that the vote could ever go against the EU, with the UK being so dependant on said union of states.
    Just think about it:

The UK had a sweet deal going with the EU, all the benefits, less off the hassle. Extrawurst braten, is the german term.
    Example?
    Tourism is easy in the EU: go where you want. But when Britain leaves the EU... no more easy travel. Suddenly its bothersome. You need Passports and customs checks.
    Health insurance covers all of the EU Member States, so no extra travel arrangement have to be made... but leave the eu and sudedenly Tourists will have to deal with all sorts of **** you wont wanna shovel just to go to bloody england...
    Britain has nothing to fall back to. Its agressively wrecking its own wealth, because the british people were to dumb to read up on all this leaver shiite.

So, after like a hundred years, Germany wins. By being saints.

>Well played. [/...]

UK did the right thing.

I don't remember voting to join the EU so a German chancellor can turn my country into a migrant transit station and relocation camp, while Western Europe uses me as a source of cheap labour and a dumping ground for their overpiced goods.

Yes, plenty of us in Central and Eastern Europe have buyer's remorse over EU. We voted for European economic club, not for EUSSR led by a Luxembourg clerk.

EU worked for some of you in the Western Europe, but obviously not for all. And it works for the very few of us in Central and Eastern Europe.

EU will reform or it will dissolve, simple as that. And German "victory" will be celebrated over EU ruins if things continue as they are.
    Post edited by illyrian2008 on
  • fovrelfovrel Member Posts: 1,448 Arc User
    Who would ever thought we would see a collaps of the world and we did. Water still pours from the crane, my cat took its food this morning as it does every morning. What a wonderful ending of the world. I don't know why the dino's couln't handle it. Perhaps because we are smarter.

Gratz to the Brits. Anyone can see the EU will only become a bigger failure with leaders that if you yourself was a leader wouldn't want as follower any day of the week.

Let's see what will cost more the failure of the EU or the USSR. My bet is on the EU. Yeah, we are going the beat the commies again.
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    reyan01 wrote: »
    I agree. Can I start a petition to have another go when the inevitable happens and England are knocked out of Euro 2016 (football/soccer)?
    (...)

You probably have to by the end of the day. Go Iceland! pig-2.gif​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou