test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

"FYI, "Kelvin Timeline" is the official name for that universe timeline according to CBS."

Comments

• Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    Hmm...

I think I'll still call it the AR for two reasons, it gives a short acronym similar to all the other series and also because it's shorter to spell out :p.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    marcusdkanemarcusdkane Member Posts: 7,439 Arc User
    JJVerse is still more accurate, IMHO, because there's more to it (in terms of deviation) than just the USS Kelvin... B) Not that they could use that label though, to it's connotations of mockery of JJ's work ;)
  • Options
    dogmaticusdogmaticus Member Posts: 82 Arc User
    Well it makes sense, since the attack on Kelvin was the major event that caused the deviation of this timeline from the main timeline that we know.
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    Some call it AR, others call it nutrek, people like me call it jjcrapverse/jjcraptrek everyone has their own name for it. i think i was the first one to coin that name "jjcrapverse" and it seems to of stuck.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    thekodanarmada#7342 thekodanarmada Member Posts: 1,631 Arc User
    Some call it AR, others call it nutrek, people like me call it jjcrapverse/jjcraptrek everyone has their own name for it. i think i was the first one to coin that name "jjcrapverse" and it seems to of stuck.

Wishful thinking, and no, it didn't stick.
    DInb0Vo.gif[/url][/center]
  • Options
    edited June 2016

wishful thinking? use the search function next time.

do you like arguing with me every time i post? you seem to be now the 3rd person i have ran across that is coming across in a harassing manner.. very curious.
  • Options

do you like arguing with me every time i post? you seem to be now the 3rd person i have ran across that is coming across in a harassing manner.. very curious.

Head on over to google with your personal pet term and find out how wrong you are.
  • Options

Head on over to google with your personal pet term and find out how wrong you are.

interesting, that confirms my thought on you.
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    JJVerse is still more accurate, IMHO, because there's more to it (in terms of deviation) than just the USS Kelvin... B) Not that they could use that label though, to it's connotations of mockery of JJ's work ;)

I agree. The Nutrek/AR/Neo-Trek whatever you want to call it is everything, BUT just another "timeline" - in fact, if the Narada incursion caused the timelines to split you run in so many plotholes like characters being the wrong age, technology working vastly different, planets moving - the only explanation that makes a little bit of sense if that it's another quantum reality with it's own past, present and future.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    hawku001xhawku001x Member Posts: 10,758 Arc User
  • Options
    It's far better than people referring to it as JJTrek as if any other series was named after one of the showrunners. But I'll still prefer to call it the AR (or TAR). Simply because it's a short acronym that matches the others (TOS, TAS, VOY etc.).

I don't like things that don't match, and naming this one the Kelvin Timeline because it started with the destruction of the Kelvin is like calling DS9 Post-Wolf 359 Timeline.

Though, if it is the in-universe name for the AR then it makes sense in a way I don't think it does out of the universe.

Yes, it fit's in so well with the Geneverse, the Bragaverse, the Mooreverse and all those others that exist...

...Oh. No they don't.

3edgy5me!​​
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

• Options
    artan42 wrote: »

3edgy5me!​​

zd7gxKE.png

Literally no one.
  • Options
    nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    zd7gxKE.png
    Literally no one.

Thank you.

• Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,022 Community Moderator
    edited June 2016
    While many people refer to it as JJTrek, the problem is the USE of said label. Basically its derogitory because people don't like it. So they slap it with JJ to slam not only the movie, but the guy who directed it.

I don't see people slamming TMP for being SLOW or ST5 for being cheese like they do the reboot movies. Hell... some people don't like Insurrection, but they still don't give it a derogitory label. Some have even gone so far as to expand JJ into Jar Jar, as in Jar Jar Binks, a character from the prequel Star Wars movies who was supposed to be Comic Relief, yet apparently hated for it.

I use AR Trek because that's what it is. Star Trek in an Alternate Reality.

[soapbox]
    We need to move away from the derogitory lables and accept that it is what it is. No different than any other Trek movie, loved (looks at Wrath of Khan) or hated (glares at ST5).

I mean... people also call out plot holes in AR Trek? Star Trek in general is no stranger to Plot holes! In Wrath of Khan, Khan knew Chekov, yet Chekov wasn't in the TOS Episode that Khan appeared in. In Insurrection, Troi said she never kissed Riker with a beard before, yet there was an episode of TNG where he had a beard and she kissed him.

People like to bash Troi for crashing the Enterprise-D Saucer in Generations as if it was on purpose. Helm controls failed on her. She had nothing to do with it! There was nothing she COULD do. Its like trying to steer a boat with a broken rudder. Ain't happenin'.

So please... before considering some arguments against something... consider that its not the frickin' Holy Bible and supposedly flawless. Want someone to blame? Blame the writers.

[/soapbox]
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    rattler2 wrote: »
    While many people refer to it as JJTrek, the problem is the USE of said label. Basically its derogitory because people don't like it. So they slap it with JJ to slam not only the movie, but the guy who directed it.

I don't see people slamming TMP for being SLOW or ST5 for being cheese like they do the reboot movies. Hell... some people don't like Insurrection, but they still don't give it a derogitory label. Some have even gone so far as to expand JJ into Jar Jar, as in Jar Jar Binks, a character from the prequel Star Wars movies who was supposed to be Comic Relief, yet apparently hated for it.

[soapbox]
    We need to move away from the derogitory lables and accept that it is what it is. No different than any other Trek movie, loved (looks at Wrath of Khan) or hated (glares at ST5).

I mean... people also call out plot holes in AR Trek? Star Trek in general is no stranger to Plot holes! In Wrath of Khan, Khan knew Chekov, yet Chekov wasn't in the TOS Episode that Khan appeared in. In Insurrection, Troi said she never kissed Riker with a beard before, yet there was an episode of TNG where he had a beard and she kissed him.

People like to bash Troi for crashing the Enterprise-D Saucer in Generations as if it was on purpose. Helm controls failed on her. She had nothing to do with it! There was nothing she COULD do. Its like trying to steer a boat with a broken rudder. Ain't happenin'.

So please... before considering some arguments against something... consider that its not the frickin' Holy Bible and supposedly flawless. Want someone to blame? Blame the writers.

[/soapbox]

Oh stop being so reasonable.​​

#TASforSTO

• Options
    Didn't you hear Artan? I'm one of the most reasonable people on the forums. ;)
    I haz a rep.
    67257553.jpg
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    I haz a rep.
    67257553.jpg

This is an internet forum, you need more sarcasm and blind rage. Sorry.​​

#TASforSTO

• Options
    I haz a rep.
    67257553.jpg

This is an internet forum, you need more sarcasm and blind rage. Sorry.​​

Do we? Do we, really?

Here to help.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Yes, it fit's in so well with the Geneverse, the Bragaverse, the Mooreverse and all those others that exist...

...Oh. No they don't.
    Except those strawman examples, are simply examples of different writers working on a defined series set in one*quantum reality, and an extension of the same project. The events transpiring in the JJ films, take place in an alternate quantum reality, which, as angrytarg mentioned, has changes to technology, character ages, planetary locations etc which all add up to a larger 'variation' than what Nero's intrusion would have caused, and is a revisionist project. The examples you've offered, simply aren't comparable...

*With the exceptions of the Mirror Universe and TNG:Parallels...

• Options

[soapbox]

[/soapbox]
    Nine times out of ten, I will refer to it as The Motionless Picture... That doesn't mean I dislike the film (although the last time I watched it, I did realize what a massive c**t Kirk is, and his utterly sh**ty and unprofessional manner in dealing with Decker... Equally, there are things which I love about it (mostly Persis Khambatta) such as the scene on the recreation deck showing a female officer of Native American descent, wearing a 'bone and bead' choker...

Why shouldn't people refer to it as JJTrek? It's Trek which was not only directed, produced, and partly written by JJ Abrams, but varied enough from the original works to be distinguishable in themes and stylistic presentation... It is what it is...

• Options
    So why would a new quantom reality be named after a director?

#TASforSTO

• Options
    So why would a new quantom reality be named after a director?
    In terms of out-of-verse reference, why wouldn't it be?
  • Options
    Because none of the other shows or films were. Not even TOS which was all Gene to the same extent as the AR is all JJ.

#TASforSTO

• Options
    Like I pointed out, while JJTrek does point out its a new reality, and was originally brought to us by JJ Abrams, the fact remains that JJTrek is still used in a negative connotation. Basically an excuse to bash everything in that reality because of the producer. Even the upcoming movie, directed by Justin Lin and NOT JJ Abrams, is still under the dark cloud of "JJTrek" because its in the same reality, therefor is just as "bad" as the rest of them and not worthy of our attention because "JJ ruined Star Trek, therefor anything associated with him is bad and must be destroyed/burned/veto'd/alienated/ect".

THAT is what I feel is the core issue, and why I personally prefer to use AR Trek and not JJTrek. To get away from that stigma that people have pinned to it. Trek is Trek. Doesn't matter who directed it. We gotta live with it. Can't just stick our heads in the sand and pretend it didn't happen.

IDIC
  • Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    tIraifw.jpg

Abrams Derangement Syndrome is a thing.​​
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    irm1963irm1963 Member Posts: 682 Arc User
    Because none of the other shows or films were. Not even TOS which was all Gene to the same extent as the AR is all JJ.

Gene L. Coon maybe :)
  • Options
    mrtrexy#6456 mrtrexy Member Posts: 97 Arc User
    guys, guys. you are debating a point which is already settled. google "ar trek". the results are the same as if you just google "star trek". it doesn't show you anything about the kelvin timeline or the new movies. now google "jj trek". all of the results are about the new movies. whether you like the terminology or not, "jj trek" has already become the pop culture term for these new movies setting. it is already part of the zeitgeist. waging your own little forum crusade isnt going to change that at this point.
  • Options
    jtoon74jtoon74 Member Posts: 409 Arc User
    dogmaticus wrote: »
    Well it makes sense, since the attack on Kelvin was the major event that caused the deviation of this timeline from the main timeline that we know.

It just dosen't make sense they would devlop technology at such a rapid rate that it 's more advanced than TNG era, meanwhile their ships have boiler rooms for some reason.

I agree, although don't know if you where the first to coin the phrase.