test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Idea: ship that levels up with you?

We already have some gear with the "infinity" symbol that levels up with you. What about a ship that levels up with you and has new weapon slots and boff slots that unlock as you rank up?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Arc User
    They already exist. Every T6 ship and lockbox ship or lobi store ship levels up with you from 50-60
  • Options
    tymerstotymersto Member Posts: 433 Arc User
    They already exist. Every T6 ship and lockbox ship or lobi store ship levels up with you from 50-60

I believe the OP was looking at something that like that, but from the get-go.
    Short answer, I imagine, would be no. Something like that wouldn't give Cryptic too many opportunities to sell ships.

Thank you for the time...
    STO CBT Player - 400 day+ Vet, Currently Silver
    Cryptic, would you actulaly like me to spend actual Money? It's Simple:
    • Full, Story-driven, select from start 1-50 Klingon Side
    • Scrap current Lock Box & Lobi system for something more reasonable
    • Expand Dil and Rep/Fleet Marks to regular story content
  • Options
    cbrjwrrcbrjwrr Member Posts: 2,782 Arc User
    sophlogimo wrote: »
    The problem with that is that the game wants to condition you into buying new ships. Doing such a thing as you propose would potenitally damage the business model.

Yep; they already know that they can make the T1-4 version of a ship, offer a refit within the tier of origin for it, then offer a T5 retrofit, then get a Fleet T5, then FT5-U, then T6, and FT6. To their position, offering the T1-4 and then having it level up represents a big loss of potential sales.

There's also the fact they don't want people to view the ship as an extension of the character, they want people to view the ship as another piece of gear. The idea of a ship that levels up with you isn't going to encourage such an attitude...
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    The actual reason is that ships can't be upgraded. Each ship is restricted to a certain amount of weapons, base shields, base hull, amount of console slots, amount of device slots, and amount of bridge officer slots. When you are upgrading from Tier 5 to Tier 5-U, you are not upgrading your ship, but discarding your Tier 5 ship and getting a brand new Tier 5-U ship. So in order to upgrade a Tier 1 ship to a Tier 5 ship, Cryptic would have to make a Tier 2 version, a Tier 3 version, a Tier 4 version, and a Tier 5 version.

It is just easier and more profitable for Cryptic to sell a Tier 6 version and allow you to use the original ship's look on the Tier 6 ship. Just like what the devs are doing with the Temporal Pack.
  • Options
    officerbatman81officerbatman81 Member Posts: 2,761 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    Small craft do this,
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,023 Community Moderator
    Small craft do this,

Technically. No they don't. They don't get more weapon slots or console slots. And stock Shuttle gear levels I believe, but only to a point like any other leveling weapon.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    If you ask me all ships should have always been this way, or some variation of this. But that would have only worked if it was that way at launch, we are too far into STO's lifespan for this to ever happen.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    Never going to happen. Though they should of made tier 6 ships that didn't have to be bought. That and i'd love all tier 5 ships to be able to be used at RA now.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • Options
    echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    I'm with everyone else. This is not gonna happen. For reasons stated. It would be bad for business.

I understand what you're proposing, it's just not likely to ever happen. Besides, I like to try new ships, wouldn't want to be stuck in one type of ship.

I'm interested in the new Risa giveaway ship, actually. Have a Tac toon running for the unlock.

Actually, I think that would make the game more boring if there weren't other ships to try out. It's always interesting to figure out what works and what doesn't work for you
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D