test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

How is your headcanon hierarchy structured?

mneme0mneme0 Member Posts: 498 Arc User
We all have different headcanon independent of our knowledge of actual canon. If you were to list off the "more real" versus "less real" sources of Star Trek material as you see it, how would that look? For example, mine is:

Most real
* Star Trek novels relaunch by Pocket. They have made a concerted and very successful effort to be internally consistent.
* Star Trek movies, as solid data points.
* Enterprise, Voyager, Deep Space Nice, Next Generation, Original Series, and Animated in that order.
* Star Trek reference and omnibus books, such as The Lives of Dax, The Klingon Art of War, Captain's Table, etc. in reverse order of age (older = less real).
* Star Trek novels in series, such as Rihannsu, Vulcan's Soul trilogy, Invasion, Rise and Fall of Khan, etc.
* Single Star Trek novels, in reverse order of age.
* JJ Trek.
* Any comics.
* Star Trek Online and any other Star Trek games, in reverse order of age.
Less real

Comments

• Options
    redeyedravenredeyedraven Member Posts: 1,297 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    Canonical continuity is already broken since Voyager and Generations... and so is the chain of good shows and movies.

My headcanon is TOS, TMP-era-movies, TNG/DS9. In that order and everything beyond is a mess IMO, but that's just me.

I believe this kinda talk belongs more into the ten-forward-section of the Forums :wink:
  • Options
    psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    The shows and movies always come first, of course. I tend to place the most recent information at the top; for example, I think we can safely assume there was no Earth/Kzinti war in the 2060s. ;)
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • Options
    salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    I always view the individual crews as being independent from one another. Books don't count. Games don't count. Just shows and movies.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    The canon hierarchy I have set up for my fan fiction series goes something like STO through "Delta Flight" > DS9, TNG, TOS movies, TNG movies > TOS > some of the novels > VOY.

ENT is a speshul case. Most of the televised series is a bad in-universe holonovel series that resulted in a ton of libel lawsuits; the historical Archer was actually played by Mike Colter and was an ambassador attached to an NX-01 commanded by a Taiwanese fellow. The Temporal Cold War aspects happened in an alternate timeline that was started by the Borg shenanigans in First Contact, then cut off before it could start by Alt!Archer (Scott Bakula) killing Drooling Hammy Badguy #6 (a.k.a. the Na'Kuhl leader who I don't give enough of a TRIBBLE about to remember his name) before he could get assimilated, which was how the Borg acquired the time travel technology they used in First Contact. Bakula!Archer and his crew ended that timeline at the cost of being wholly erased from history themselves, which explains why nobody in the later series ever mentioned them. It was also the actual reason for the Temporal Accords: everybody sez "Let's all agree never to try to use time travel as a weapon of war again because I think I had an aneurysm trying to figure out what the flying frell just happened."

My Temporal Agents work in the shadows using cover identities and absolutely never allow anybody in the past or future to actually know they're not from around here, because that further contaminates the timeline.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    Same as CBS, the films and TV shows. The only main head canon I have is that the AR films and ENT share a seperate quantum reality to the main series of films and shows.

I don't really care enough about the books, games, or comics to bother with trying to fit them into canon. I just read or play the ones that interest me and ignore the rest.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    puckerbrushpuckerbrush Member Posts: 117 Arc User
    Expected a discussion of the Hierarchy. Disappointed.
    TGQtEKB.jpg
    M6SiKbG.gif
    Please spay and neuter your Caitians
  • Options
    anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    If it was on screen, and officially produced as such (licences) it's canon...

If it wasn't, it's not.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • Options
    khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    Movies and TV shows
    Books and games
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • Options
    rllaillieurllaillieu Member Posts: 351 Arc User
    I put it all on the same level. That being said, I do distinguish between universes and I'm selective about what parts of ENT and TAS I consider legit. For example, "These are the Voyages..." doesn't exist.

Most of the games don't exist for me, but only because I haven't played them. Other than that, I accept most of it on a relatively equal level, with some wiggle room.
  • Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    1. Show, Movies
    2. STO, Path to 2409
    3. My foundry missions
    4. Other people's foundry missions (inevitably because I don't know them as well as 3, and I may also have other ideas :P)
    5. Books

I generally don't try to reconcile other video games with STO.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    1 - Movies and shows
    2 - official books for star trek. Like the Star Trek Encyclopedia, Star Trek The Magazine, or others that is considered under this.

I consider these most "factual", as it comes from the Developers who brings us Star Trek.

Novels, Games, JJ Trek, the cartoon series. I don't call this being factual. As its loose ideas based off the actual stuff.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,034 Community Moderator
    Seen on screen = Canon
    In regards to Star Trek in particular, I do count one game as canon as well, the reboot game that takes place between the '09 movie and Into Darkness as it was stated to be canon. Also, McCoy mentions dealing with a pregnant Gorn in ID and in the game he deals with said Pregnant Gorn.

Only one other game I know of has Canon status. Aliens: Colonial Marines. It is considered a Direct sequel to Aliens, and does reference both Aliens and Alien 3. Other than that, games aren't canon, and neither are books unless otherwise specified.

Never believed in the old Star Wars novelverse convoluted canon scale. I viewed all of them the same way I view any other novel.

Now... the '98 Godzilla... THAT, as Zilla was accepted as a seperate kaiju into the Toho pantheon, I headcanon as a misidentification of the Kaiju. The fisherman who identified the kaiju only saw the dorsal plates, and he knows of only one monster that has dorsal plates. Godzilla. So... the whole movie is based on a misidentification of a new Kaiju. :D
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Seen on screen = Canon
    In regards to Star Trek in particular, I do count one game as canon as well, the reboot game that takes place between the '09 movie and Into Darkness as it was stated to be canon. Also, McCoy mentions dealing with a pregnant Gorn in ID and in the game he deals with said Pregnant Gorn.

But not by CBS so it doesn't count ;)
    TGQtEKB.jpg

Ah, the poor man's Sontarans.

0.jpgSontaran.jpg​​
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

• Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    Star Trek canon isn't complicated. As stated in 2007 by the person in charge of CBS licensing, everything belonging to the Star Trek continuity seen on the small or big screen is canon (TAS is canon!). Nothing else. No book, no game, nothing.

This is what you need to know when you want to discuss show canon. Everything more than this and we enter "headcanon" territory and that is a bit more interesting.

I personally construct my headcanon of course from original canon, but I like to ignore/dismiss most of what happened after DS9 (most of the TNG movies, VOY and ENT). When I think Borg I think "Q, Who" and "Best of Both Worlds" - there is no queen. When I think early space exploration I think Daedalus - there is no NX. And there is no Archer. I have adopted @artan42 approach of putting ENT in the AR and the audience got pulled there through the FC Borg shenenigans. In the AR we have a Borg Queen, red pulse weapons, flat screens and all that.

I consider the Technical Manuals by Okuda et al (those that served as writer's guidelines before the actual shows were shot) to be as good as canon and I supplement info on ship classes and technology from them. And I like some elements from a select number of games enough to integrate them into my headcanon, for example the Garidians from "A final Unity" (my KDF Rom character in STO is Garidian, complete with crew, ship and backstory how the Garidian Republic funded D'Tan's splinter group until the straying Borg decimated Garid and the Romulan Republic became so powerful it annexed the Garidian Republic again).
    artan42 wrote: »

Don't worry, my girl, they will soon recognize the Sontaran Empire's glory! pig-42.gif​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    sle1989sle1989 Member Posts: 552 Arc User
    Star Trek has established on screen that there are multiple realities, so I borrow concept from comics and say that everything is canon. For example, there is the prime universe, the mirror, the JJ verse, various book and comic book universes, and the game universes. I would consider each of these to be no less canon than the others in the same way that Marvel or DC comics universes are no less canon than one or the other. While I would prefer to see the prime universe make new stories, I don't devalue others simply because they come from a video game or a book.
    y1arXbh.png

• Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    sle1989 wrote: »
    (...) I don't devalue others simply because they come from a video game or a book.

This here is a key problem shared by people struggling with the "canon" term - "canon" and "non-canon" are not synonyms for "good" and "not good". It is not a statement of quality or even personal preference.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    1. Real Life Action TV Shows + Movies
    2. Everything else.

Maybe I should give TAS a separate place above everything else, but since I never really saw it, it doesn't matter. Novels used to be mostly stand-alones or tiny series, and what I read about the attempts at creating a more consistent novelverse just sounds meh. I don't think anyone going into making a new Trek show would incorporate those.
    angrytarg wrote: »
    sle1989 wrote: »
    (...) I don't devalue others simply because they come from a video game or a book.

This here is a key problem shared by people struggling with the "canon" term - "canon" and "non-canon" are not synonyms for "good" and "not good". It is not a statement of quality or even personal preference.​​
    Indeed. Especially among novels I know plenty of awesome ones that are just good reads, from a Science Fiction perspective or a Trek perspective or just general literature. Arguably one of the best Trek books, Final Reflections, is pretty much entirely contradicted nowadays by TNG and DS9. Still amazing.

And there is plenty of TRIBBLE in the official canon material.

If I were given the franchise and had no other job but to make me happy, I'd certainly "reimagine" it to my liking and throw out TRIBBLE and inconsistencies and steal good ideas liberally from novels. (Bat'Leth + Klingons killing their gods + H'urq + Thought Masters + Black Fleet + Klin Zha sounds like something with great potential.)
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    staq16staq16 Member Posts: 1,181 Arc User
    ​​

I'm sure I'm not the only one to have named his Hierarchy BOff "Strax"....
  • Options
    staq16 wrote: »

I named mine Linx.​​

#TASforSTO

• Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,034 Community Moderator
    staq16 wrote: »
    ​​

I might have done that myself... and since I got mine when they were still customizable... he's wearing blue Delta armor.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    TGQtEKB.jpg

0.jpgSontaran.jpg​​

"Hierarchy HA!" just doesn't have the same ring to it.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/