test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Protonic Kool-Aid Down The Drain Cruiser

Comments

• Options
    lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    Please tell me that the uptick in interest in drain builds in The Science Channel are not entirely my fault. Quick, somebody else take credit for something related to drain builds!

Honestly couldn't say!

But there's been a lot of really fun runs with some experimental tactics and builds so someone is bound to have seen your stuff here.
    If I had the in game finances i'd be putting one together myself, maybe someday i'll have the chance.

I like the ideas here though, nice to see someone thinking outside the box for once!
    SulMatuul.png
  • Options
    autumnturningautumnturning Member Posts: 743 Arc User
    And now people are getting curious about Proton Weapons in other threads in other forums. Coincidence?
  • Options
    thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,541 Arc User
    See what you started? rofl.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • Options
    coruunascoruunas Member Posts: 127 Arc User
    Currently working on a Tarantula variant of this.
  • Options
    It is good to see others trying something different. I am currently thinking about a Polaron/KT Torp boat. I really like the Kelvin Timeline Photons. I'll post here as soon as I have something decent.
  • Options
    Ah, but that's the beauty of it! A lot of builds we see on these forums and at r/stobuilds are "so TIGHT" on what's being done that there isn't a whole lot of room for variation or alternatives. But this Polaron Turret Drain Build idea is "so BROAD" that there's room for lots of variations and alternatives!

The Protonic Turrets angle is just Pure Kool-Aid though.

And the whole build strategy is all about sending your $Target Down The Drain ... and I just happen to like doing that with a Cruiser. Other possibilities though are just as valid and viable.
  • Options
    coruunascoruunas Member Posts: 127 Arc User
    Ah, but that's the beauty of it! A lot of builds we see on these forums and at r/stobuilds are "so TIGHT" on what's being done that there isn't a whole lot of room for variation or alternatives. But this Polaron Turret Drain Build idea is "so BROAD" that there's room for lots of variations and alternatives!

The Protonic Turrets angle is just Pure Kool-Aid though.

And the whole build strategy is all about sending your $Target Down The Drain ... and I just happen to like doing that with a Cruiser. Other possibilities though are just as valid and viable.

Got a whole buncha ideas lined up, everything from the temporal raider to an atrox with at least adv. stalkers. Just gotta find time, with AoY going on.

• Options
    edited July 2016
    My initial results using the KTHCC as a Polaron/Kelvin Photon boat have been encouraging. Got the Plas. Leech last night and this fits nicely into the eleventh Console slot. Having a Sci Captain and using the Universal BOff seat be used by a Science Guy is working out okay so far.

One of the things I intend to do with this one is to not use gear or abilities which every player does not have access to. Used to get all excited back in the day whenever I saw a build that I already supposedly had all the pieces for. Only to find out there was something which I did not have or could not get and this was the thing which made the build work best. Discouraging, to say the least. I want anyone to be able to recreate this build exactly as it is. Without having to spend hideous amounts of EC, Dil, or Zen to kit it out properly. Leaving the Temporal Rep stuff alone now as well.

Working on a similar idea using Tetryon/Kelvin Photons as well. I may meld the projects and see what happens.
  • Options
    ikonn#1068 ikonn Member Posts: 1,450 Arc User
    Ok I have read through this thread and am really interested in experimenting with this build. I am going to be making a KDF Reman and put him in a Sarr Theln with Plesh Brek Frigates. I have been down the DPS road and can comfortably get between 40 and 50k runs. But after reading this thread, now it is time for me to play using a different strategy. Thank you for posting your insights and we'll see how it goes.
    -AoP- Warrior's Blood (KDF Armada) / -AoP- Qu' raD qulbo'Degh / -AoP- Project Phoenix
  • Options
    If you're going with a carrier (of some sort), it would seem prudent to angle for hangar pets (Fighters) that also use Polaron weapons so as to maximize the opportunities for crippling power drains via the whole "Many On One" sort of thing. Oddly enough, the number of hangar pets that make use of Polaron energy types (that drain power on proc) is seriously limited.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Sometimes, I get distracted. I have exactly one TAC Captain. This is my oldest character, Crell of the House of Jev. Created back when a player had to level a Fed character to 25 for the KDF to unlock. Crell was assigned to the KDF sometime in March or April of 2012. Over the years Crell was ignored or pushed aside for my other characters. I like the ENG and Sci character classes a little more. What can I say? But I could not delete him when I culled my herd from 12 characters down to four. I want to play STO, not have it become my second job, lol. Crell was used whenever there was a benefit to using him. As soon as the benefit was acquired he was beached and placed on half play. Every now and then I'd spend Dilithium or Zen on him. A little bit here and a little bit there. I looked up one day and he had matured into my strongest, best equipped character. So I began to play him more and more. Crell currently has 92 days and six hours of on duty time. I decided after reading this thread to see if I can give Crell a ship and loadout which is outside the box. It is a work in progress. It also mostly does not have anything on it which is beyond the reach of every player. There are no giveaway ship Consoles or weapons. There are no exclusive items which are no longer available. All the gear on this ship can be acquired and Upgraded by any player. So enough talk already, Thunder!

**Ship Information**

Name: I.K.S. Hegh Poch Yuch(Death By Chocolate)
    Class: Fleet Qin Flight Deck Raptor
    Intended Role: Still thinking outside the box when it comes to ship loadouts and capabilities.
    Inspired by autumnturning. Thanks Big Guy! Much appreciated!

Commanding Officer:Dahar Master Crell of the House of Jev
    Career: Klingon
    Faction: Klingon Defense Force
    Species: Klingon
    Primary Specialization: Intelligence
    Secondary Specialization: Command

Notes: Hard to pass up that extra Hull HP, ain't it?

Ship Loadout - Work In Progress

Fore Weapons
    Enhanced Bio-Molecular Torpedo Launcher Mk XII(VR) - I like this torpedo for the way it looks. I know it is a silly reason to do so, but I don't care.
    Heavy Bio-Molecular Disruptor Turret Mk XII(VR)
    Bio-Molecular Disruptor Turret Mk XII [CrtH] [Dmg](VR)

Aft Weapons
    Kelvin Timeline Photon Torpedo Launcher [CrtD] [CrtH] [Reload] - I like the Kelvin Photons for their short cooldown. It can be further reduced with the right DOffs

Notes: Undine Rep is one of the few where the Weapons Set contains a Turret. These turrets are like all turrets. They have a weak damage output no matter what. By using all turrets, I am playing the 'roll enough dice and the proc will come up' game. I have adapted my tactics since my torps are so much stronger with a shorter cooldown, Torpedoes are now my 'finishing move'.

Deflector: Terran Task Force Deflector Array Mk XII
    Impulse: Terran Task Force Impulse Engines Mk XII
    Warp Core: Terran Task Force Hyper Injection Warp Core MkXII
    Shields: Terran Task Force Covariant Shield Array Mk XII

Notes: The three piece Set Bonuses from this set add power during combat. I routinely have a weapons power of 130 without resorting to batteries.

Devices
    Standard Shield Battery
    Standard Weapons Battery

Notes: This thing is a Weapon Battery junkie. It is very easy to spend all your Loot EC on batteries and still come up short. I also have the Temporal Negotiator in my Main Inventory.

Engineering Consoles
    Plasmonic Leech
    Bio-Neural Gel Pack Mk XIV - For the power boost and the additonal cooldown on BOff Abilities
    Trellium D Hull Plating - This Console is Sweeeeet! If you do not have it, get it. You'll not be sorry.

Notes: I know what you're thinking, lol. Thunder, have you lost your mind? Leech with no Drains and while mounting a Covariant Shield? Still get a miniscule Drain on enemies, though. Which is good. I wil replace it eventually, I think.

Science Consoles
    Hydrodynamics Compensator Mk XIV - For the Undine Weapon set Bonuses
    Ferrofluid Hydraulic Assembly Mk XIV - For the power additions
    Temporally Shielded Datacore Mk XII - The 'other' AoY Console. Just as sweeet as the Hull Plating

Notes: This may not be an optimal setup. Nor should it be considered a final one.

Tactical Consoles
    Chronometric Capacitor MK XIII
    Photon Detonation Assembly Mk XII
    Counter-Command Multi-Conduit Energy Array Mk XIV
    Disruptor Induction Coil Mk XIV
    Disruptor Induction Coil Mk XIV

Notes: I was looking for Tactical Consoles which added to Torpedo Damage and had a little something extra as well.

Hangar Bay
    Advanced To'Duj Fighters.

Notes: This is the only place where I break my rule about mounting gear which everyone can get. This is a Fleet gear item which I already had. A single hangar means my fighters are a distraction. They are there to give the NPCs something other than me to kill.
    If they assist me in shooting something down, it is bonus.

Bridge Officers
    Commander Tactical (VR Klingon): Tactical Team I/ Torpedo: High Yield II/ Torpedo Spread III/ Cannon: Scatter Volley III
    Ensign Tactical (VR Klingon): Tactical Team I
    Lt. Commander Universal (VR Klingon - Science) : Hazard Emmitters I/ Tyken's Rift I/ Gravity Well I
    Lt. Commander Engineering/Pilot (VR Gorn): Engineering Team I/ Hold Together I/ Attack Pattern Lambda III
    Lt Science (VR Klingon): Science Team I/ Hazard Emitters II

Notes: APL is a really fun little ability to throw on that crowd you've gathered with GW I.
    Decided against CRF because I am usually shooting at multiple target anyways.

Duty Officers
    (VR) Energy Weapons Officer - Chance to reduce the recharge time when using cannon special attacks
    (VR) Projectile Weapons Officer - Chance to reduce the reload time when using torpedoes (Law from Nimbus III)
    (VR) Conn Officer - recharge time reduced for Tactical Team
    (VR) Flight Deck Officer - Reduce the recharge time for hangar bays and Boarding Party
    (VR) Gravimetric Scientist - Chance to create an aftershock Gravity Well

Notes: Again, this build is a work in progress. Still learning what it can and cannot handle. Obviously there are Upgrades in the near future. I usually Upgrade Consoles, then the Space Set, then weapons. Because doing so gets an improved performance immediately.

I am pretty sure there are people out there who can critique and adjust this build to get better performance than I can. DPS is average at best. Not min/maxing such a build amounts to blasphemy and heresy of a high order according to some players. All I know is, I fly this build and have fun with it while playing STO. Which is the point as far as I am concerned. If DPS is your thing and you are having as much fun as I do, then I think you're winning the game as well.
  • Options
    revanindustriesrevanindustries Member Posts: 508 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    If you're running a KDF-side carrier for as much drain as possible, why not just use . . . Power Siphon Drones.
  • Options
    eradicator84eradicator84 Member Posts: 1,116 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    Siphon drones are good for pure drain builds and is why I feel any great drain build should be based upon a carrier or flight deck/dread platform.

I usually end up using Orion interceptors for their weapon and engine drains, plus chroniton torps and tractor beams for slows and holds. They offer a good combo of DPS, slows/holds and drains, plus they're super fast. Fastest combat pet in the game imo.

EDIT: This may have been mentioned already, but there a shield siphon drones too, called Tachyon drones. A great option for anti shield drain builds.
    Interceptors and Tachyon drones was what brought me over to the Klingon side. Lots of variety of pets that the feds still cant really match.
    AFMJGUR.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Thank you both for the suggestions.

The reason I did not use the Siphon Drones or the Orion Interceptors was I already had the To'Duj fighters. I did not look to see if there were hangar pets which would be a better match. This is still very much a work in progress. I already have a decent Drain build. Im not quite sure about if I want the focus to be on a turret build or if I want this one to turn into some sort of radiation build or not. Right now this one very fun to fly and things melt when I shoot them. Which at this level is all I am expecting.
    Post edited by thunderfoot#5163 on
  • Options
    Apologies for the double post. Went to the Fleet Starbase today to check on the availability of either Siphon Drones or Orion Interceptors. Turns out both hangars are ship specific. So there I was with all this Dilithium and nothing to spend it on. Oh well, lemme see about Elite To'Duj Fighters. Yup, I can use 'em. Since I cannot purchase the Drain pets, I'll stay with the best version I can purchase of the pets I already have.

I have also Upgraded everything to at least Mk XIV(VR). The ship seems to be performing as well as expected and with the Turrets being able to proc so many more times I am getting the Radiation D.O.T. regularly enough to depend on it. All in all, this is a fun ship to fly.
  • Options
    tom61stotom61sto Member Posts: 3,653 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    Energy Siphon Drones should not require a specific ship at all, not sure what issue you ran into. Orion Interceptors need a ship to unlock them (a low-level flight-deck cruiser), but should be usable on any ship(I've used them on other carriers and hangar equipped KDF-allied Warbirds). Tachyon Drones are also ship unlocked.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    So I spent RL Currency to get the ship which unlocks the Orion Interceptors. Then I converted some Zen to Dil so I could go to the Starbase and purchase the Elite version. Very glad I did so. Very nice pets, indeed. Next, I took the Breen Space Set and Upgraded it to Mk XIV. Slapped on the Chronometric Polaron Weapon Set and filled the rest of the weapon slots with Polaron Turrets. The Console Slots got filled with odds and ends I was storing on the ships I don't fly regularly. I wound up with a T6 Tactical Carrier with a Tac captain who does a pretty good impression of a Drain/Sci boat. Halts things dead in their tracks.

To complete the sacrilege, I dressed my char and his BOffs in the Kelvin Timeline Blingon uniforms. Sans helmets. naturally. And some of the Vaadwaur accessories which look really good with it. The whole shebang raises eyebrows wherever I go ingame and is very fun to fly and use. Kept the KHG ground gear, though. You can have my KHG Disruptor Pulse Rifle with attached grenade launcher when you pry it loose from my dead fingers, lol.

EDIT - 08/20/16
    Here is the current loadout for Death by Chocolate. I've decided to explore the possibilities of the Breen Space Set. I've also mounted the Chronometric Polaron Weapon Set. So the Candybar is a faux Drain Boat for right now.

**Ship Information**

Name: I.K.S. Hegh pong Yuch(Death By Chocolate)
    Class: Fleet Qin Flight Deck Raptor(T6)
    Intended Role: Still thinking outside the box when it comes to ship loadouts and capabilities.
    Inspired by autumnturning.

Commanding Officer:Dahar Master Crell of the House of Jev
    Career: Klingon
    Faction: Klingon Defense Force
    Species: Klingon
    Primary Specialization: Intelligence
    Secondary Specialization: Command

Notes: Hard to pass up that extra Hull HP, ain't it?

Ship Loadout - Work In Progress

Fore Weapons
    Krenim Chroniton Torpedo Launcher Mk XIV(VR) - Ooooh! Lookit da purty colors! I like this torpedo for the way it slows enemies.
    Heavy Chronometric Polaron Turret Mk XIV(VR)
    Polaron Turret Mk XIV(VR) [CrtH] [Dmg] [Pen] - Got these off the Exchange for 450k EC each when they were MK XII
    Polaron Turret Mk XIV(VR) [CrtH] [Dmg] [Pen]

Aft Weapons
    Kelvin Timeline Photon Torpedo Launcher [CrtD] [CrtH] [Reload] - I like the Kelvin Photons for their short cooldown. It can be further reduced with the right DOffs

Notes: Chronometric Weapon Set is one of the few which contains a Turret.
    These turrets are like all turrets. They have a weak damage output no matter what. By using all turrets, I am playing the "roll enough dice and the proc will fire off" game.
    Torpedoes are now my "finishing move". But the turrets do so much damage after halting a target in place, I only get to use torps on the really big targets.

Space Set
    Deflector: Polarized Deflector Array Mk XIV
    Impulse: Supercooled Combat Impulse Engines Mk XIV
    Warp Core: Cryoplasma-Infused Warp Core Mk XIV
    Shields: Dielectric Osillation Resilient Shield Array Mk XIV

Notes: The Breen Set is easy to acquire and can be gotten early on in the current storyline. So, like most players, I overlooked it. It does well when I am not pretending I am a dreadnought, lol. It also has some of the better visuals in the game.

Devices
    Standard Weapons Battery
    Standard Auxiliary Battery

Notes: This thing is a Auxiliary Battery junkie. It is very easy to spend all your Loot EC on batteries and still come up short.
    I also have the Temporal Negotiator in my Main Inventory.

Engineering Consoles
    Assimilated Console Mk XIV
    Zero-Point Energy Conduit Mk XIV - For the additional power boost, Drain Expertise, and Crit Hit
    Trellium D Hull Plating - This Console is Sweeeeet! If you do not have it, get it. You'll not be sorry.

Notes: This one can go glass cannon in a hurry if I am not paying attention. The Trellium-D Console mitigates this somewhat.

Science Consoles
    Exotic Particle Focuser Mk XIV (DrainX)x2
    Hull-Repairing Weapon Signature Nullifier Mk XIV(DrainX) -
    Temporally Shielded Datacore Mk XII - The 'other' AoY Console. Just as sweeet as the Hull Plating

Notes: This one can go glass cannon in a hurry if I am not paying attention. The Embassy and Datacore Consoles mitigate this somewhat.

Tactical Consoles
    Chronometric Capacitor MK XIV
    Plasmonic Leech
    Vulernability Locator Mk XIV (Polaron)

Notes: The Leech is not as effective as it once was. But it is still a good Console. The Capacitor will make a good torpedo a better one.

Hangar Bay
    Elite Orion Interceptors

Notes: I know, I know. I broke my own rule. This is a Fleet gear item. It requires the Zen purchase of the Dacoit Flight Deck Cruiser at 1,000 Zen to unlock. Someone suggested I get this hangar. I did and I think it was worth it. Fastest hangar pets in the game and very effective at keeping me alive while using the Intercept Command. They also have tractor beams and a Chroniton torpedo. The Coordinated Assault Trait means they can pack a wallop with High Yield Torpedo active.

Bridge Officers
    Commander Tactical (VR Klingon): Tactical Team I/ Torpedo: High Yield II/ Torpedo Spread III/ Cannon: Scatter Volley III
    Ensign Tactical (VR Klingon): Tactical Team I
    Lt. Commander Universal (VR Klingon - Science) : Hazard Emitters I/ Tyken's Rift I/ Gravity Well I
    Lt. Commander Engineering/Pilot (VR Gorn): Engineering Team I/ Hold Together I/ Attack Pattern Lambda III
    Lt Science (VR Klingon): Science Team I/ Hazard Emitters II

Notes: APL is a really fun little ability to throw on that crowd you've gathered with GW I

Duty Officers
    (VR) Energy Weapons Officer - Chance to reduce the recharge time when using cannon special attacks
    (VR) Projectile Weapons Officer - Chance to reduce the reload time when using torpedoes (Law from Nimbus III)
    (VR) Conn Officer - recharge time reduced for Tactical Team
    (VR) Flight Deck Officer - Reduce the recharge time for hangar bays and Boarding Party
    (VR) Gravimetric Scientist - Chance to create an aftershock Gravity Well

Not done tinkering with this loadout yet. I think I can get it to perform a little better by using some different Consoles and adjusting the order I use my BOff Abilities in. It is a lot of fun to fly though. So, while it may not be a DPS monster, it does satisfy my chief criteria for being fun to play first.
    Post edited by thunderfoot#5163 on
  • Options
    Blatant Shameless Bump!
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    This is what I am currently running and, so far, am quite impressed with the results. Haven't finished grinding out my reputation marks for this character. Have made it to 40k out of 100k on each rep except Temporal, but already have the marks banked for that. Just waiting for my AoY character to get to T-5 Temporal Rep so I can get a Sponsorship token for this guy.

**Ship Information**

Name: Aish Saeihr (War Star)
    Class: Breen Sarr Theln Carrier(T6)
    Intended Role: Drain and Control

Commanding Officer: Loknar
    Career: Engineer
    Faction: Romulan / Klingon Defense Force allied
    Species: Reman
    Skill Allocations: 12- Eng, 16-Sci, and 18-Tac
    Primary Specialization: Temporal
    Secondary Specialization: Intelligence

Current Ship Loadout - Work In Progress

Fore Weapons:
    3x Polaron Turret Mk XII (R) [Acc]x2

Aft Weapons:
    3x Polaron Turret Mk XII (R) [Acc]x2

Notes: These will eventually be replaced with Protonic Polaron, but work pretty well for now and for being only Rare Quality. Not quite to T-4 Dyson rep just yet... should be by next Thursday.

Space Set
    Deflector: Solanae Deflector Array Mk XII (VR)
    Impulse: Solanae Hyper-Efficient Impulse Engines Mk XII (VR)
    Warp Core: Solanae Overcharged Warp Core Mk XII (VR)
    Shields: Solanae Resilient Shield Array Mk XII (VR)

Notes: Will more than likely replace the Solanae set with the Terran set. However, this set is doing just fine as it is, so no rush.

Devices
    Temporal Negotiator
    Subspace Field Modulator

Notes: Nothing to see here... move along.

Engineering Consoles
    * Plasmonic Leech
    * Regenerative Integrity Field (Kobali Samsar Cruiser Console)
    * Conductive RCS Accelerator Mk XIV [DrainX] (UR)

Science Consoles
    * 3x Restorative Particle Focuser Mk XII [DrainX]x2 (VR)
    * Exotic Particle Field Exciter Mk XIV [DrainX] (UR)

Tactical Consoles
    * 4x Vulernability Locator Mk XII [+Pol]

Notes: Instead of going with 4x Lab consoles, I am able to get more DrainX out of going the way I did with using a Conductive RCS and the Exotic Particle Field Exciter (which I already had on one of my gear storage toons). Essentially getting 3 consoles worth of benefits for the price of 2. Also allows for some additional stacking of EPG for the Grav Well and Subspace Vortex.

Hangar Bay:
    * 2x Elite Plesh Brek Frigates
    * 2x Elite Plesh Brek Frigates

Notes: These hangar pets really work well with this build.

Ship Bridge Officers:
    Lt. Universal: Nausicaan - Engineering Team I, Emergency Power to Weapons II
    LTC. Tactical- Romulan (SRO) - Tactical Team I, Cannon: Scatter Volley I, Cannon: Rapid Fire II
    Lt. Eng/Intel- Nausicaan - Emergency Power to Shields I, Reverse Shield Polarity I
    Cdr. Science- Romulan (SRO) - Polarize Hull I, Destabilizing Resonance Beam I, Subspace Vortex III, Gravity Well III
    Lt. Science- Romulan (SRO) - Hazard Emitters I, Transfer Shield Strength II

Notes: Emphasis on survivability and "some" support though the Grav Well and Subspace Vortex. Definitely not going to break any DPS records with it, but with the amount of drain going on, there is no need to stock up on DPS.

Active Space Duty Officers:
    * Conn Officer (VR)- Recharge time reduced for Tactical Team
    * Energy Weapons Officer (VR)- Chance to remove currently applied buffs on use of beams and cannons.
    * Damage Control Engineer (VR)- Chance to reduce the recharge time for Emergency Power to subsystem abilities.
    * Warp Core Engineer (VR)- Chance of temporarily improving your ship power on use of any Emergency Power ability.
    * Deflector Officer (VR)- Chance to reduce the recharge time for Deflector abilities.

Final Note: Still some work to be done, obviously, but so far I have been having as blast with the current setup. Yes, there are some things that could be done differently, but this is just an experiment in fun... not for min/maxing.

This build is an alien way of doing things for me, but has been a fun experiment so far. Thank you to autumnturning for the OP and insights, and to everyone else who has contributed to this thread. My build is an extension of your ideas, mixed with a few of my own, just to see what would happen, and it turns out to be something very fun... for me at least.

Kool-Aid FTW!
    Post edited by ikonn#1068 on
    -AoP- Warrior's Blood (KDF Armada) / -AoP- Qu' raD qulbo'Degh / -AoP- Project Phoenix
  • Options
    Looks to be a very nice ship. If you're having fun trying out some things you've not tried before, then this thread has scored another success. I stopped worrying about DPS long ago. Some people only consider DPS. That's fine. They're having fun with STO while doing so. This is what is important. Having fun while playing STO regardless of how you play. There are effective alternatives to DPS, however. Finding these can be...gratifying.
  • Options
    Just as an aside, between You, Me and the Playerbase ... I've been thinking about adapting the Lessons Learned(tm) from this thread towards a NON-Drain oriented Turret Build on a Science Vessel (specifically, the freebie Dyson Science Destroyer for my AoY Science Captain). And just to make the differences even more apparent, I'm thinking of doing the Temporal Rep (store) Turrets combined with as many Plasma Science Consoles as I can fit into the build ... and seeing what happens.

I'm kind of curious to see what the "rainbow bolts of light" stream will look like with the Temporal Primary Specialization on my Captain when proccing the Temporal Cross-wiring with the "chuck lots of dice fast" methodology.
  • Options
    Should prove to be most interesting... As successful as I think my Reman's setup is, I might do what you are suggesting to my Rom Sci since that character is flying a DSD.
  • Options
    Noticed my original Kamarag build was heavily slanted towards Drain and had few points in Control. So I've recently begun tinkering with it to see if I can balance out the two of them. Got both of them at around about 250 each. Need to do some more work to see if I can improve both of them from there.
  • Options
    Hit a bit of a wall with the free DSD idea. I forgot that the "freebie" DSD was an Event giveaway that is no longer available for AoY Captains (created YEARS LATER because of "exclusivity" BS) ... although it is available in the Lobi store (for 600 Lobi, which I don't have). At that point, it then becomes a question of What Other Ships Might I Use?

The real hiccup though is wondering whether or not I'd want to go All Cannons while using the Temporal Weapon Set 3-piece, in which case I need to decide between Beam Array or Dual Heavy Cannons for one of the weapon slots. Well, the only Science Ship that can mount a "Cannon Cannon" is ... the Vesta ... and that's a C-store ship, and if you're going to go for the Vesta at all, it really just makes too much sense to invest in the bundle pack for 5k Zen instead of a single ship for 2.5k Zen (mainly for the Admiralty cards that you can then put on every single Captain you have).

Problem is, right now I've only got slightly over 500 Zen, so it'll be at least 6-7 months and a well timed ship sale before I'd be able to pick up the Vesta pack.
  • Options
    mikeownz1337mikeownz1337 Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    I have read the first few pages of posts but not all of them, any reason no ones considered the Science Star Cruiser (T6)?
  • Options
    In my case, the reason would be simple (Zen) cost for purchasing the ship (3k, 6k or 12k). It does however look like it would be an awesome ship to use as a drain boat (4 science consoles), although it would be a tad light on tactical consoles (2). But with a Lt Com Command seating you could run Concentrate Firepower III for some serious "smash face" draining using (HY1) Neutronic Torpedo spam.
  • Options
    tom61stotom61sto Member Posts: 3,653 Arc User
    Hit a bit of a wall with the free DSD idea. I forgot that the "freebie" DSD was an Event giveaway that is no longer available for AoY Captains (created YEARS LATER because of "exclusivity" BS) ... although it is available in the Lobi store (for 600 Lobi, which I don't have).

If you ground out a DSD on any of your other characters on that account during that event, it should show up under U-> Reputation -> Events -> Store, even on your AoY char. I claimed it on my AoY for the Admiralty card. Last I heard the only ship that was bugged in claiming was the newest one, the Xyfius.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    I have read the first few pages of posts but not all of them, any reason no one has considered the Science Star Cruiser (T6)?

The reasons I haven't considered the ship you suggested is I do not own one and had not looked at it until I read your post. It looks like it would be okay from the little bit I read on it. I prefer playing KDF. If you own one of these ships and want to try out the ideas in this thread on it, we'd be interested to see the results posted here.