test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Official Feedback Thread for the "Taurean Affair" - Our new TOS Tutorial

Comments

• kitsune424kitsune424 Member Posts: 232 Arc User
    just the phaser bug is messing with my run of testing, the rest of the bugs are minor, although yet the doctors have TNG phaser rifles so yeah that's a bug
    We are the Borg. Existence as you know it is over. Lower your shields and surrender your ships. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Your culture will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile.
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,282 Arc User
    only if they come up with some way to compensate for the lost shield HP...i die often enough WITH shields - i won't put up with having them removed if enemies aren't weakened in some way​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    Actually, the year is 2270 (according to Gecko) which is just after the end of the Animated Series episodes, and they had personal shields during those years.

And since Cryptic apparently considers TAS to be canon, all is well.
    B)

STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • jonathanlonehawkjonathanlonehawk Member Posts: 674 Arc User
    daveyny wrote: »
    Actually, the year is 2270 (according to Gecko) which is just after the end of the Animated Series episodes, and they had personal shields during those years.

And since Cryptic apparently considers TAS to be canon, all is well.
    B)

I think you're thinking of the environmental belts as TAS did not have personal shields.
    Formerly Known as Protector from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    STOSIG.png
    Please enable us to buy a token with Zen to faction change a 25th Century FED to a TOS FED.
    Don't they pretty much act in the same way?
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
  • jonathanlonehawkjonathanlonehawk Member Posts: 674 Arc User
    daveyny wrote: »
    Don't they pretty much act in the same way?
    Nope -- the Environmental belts were just a cheap way of not drawing the orange environmental suits from TOS. :)
    Formerly Known as Protector from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    STOSIG.png
    Please enable us to buy a token with Zen to faction change a 25th Century FED to a TOS FED.
    Ahhh.
    B)
  • comrademococomrademoco Member Posts: 1,694 Bug Hunter
    has this been pointed out yet???

Summary
    ~ Scientists during the 'Bull by the Horns" section of the tutorial they are given 25th century phasers xD

I just managed to get in tribble xD
    6tviTDx.png

• badgerpants999badgerpants999 Member Posts: 241 Arc User
    Also found the "Equipping phaser rifle doesn't progress the mission" bug, also noted the other people have "generations" phaser rifles and the shuttle bay doors don't open when you take off
  • badgerpants999badgerpants999 Member Posts: 241 Arc User
    Tried it 4 times now and the mission just wont progress, needs a patch and soon!
  • djmarr1964djmarr1964 Member Posts: 232 Arc User
    i totally agree as this is so annoying that they give us this shiny new stuff and then some cant proceed by such a simple point but others can pls patch this soon cause i wanna get to the 23rd century ESD
    The True King In The North
  • orondisorondis Member Posts: 1,447 Arc User
    sophlogimo wrote: »
    Personal shields do not exist in this era, yet they are standard-equipped on us (though thankfully not our away team in this mission). I would suggest to get away with that.

Well STO isn't exactly set in the normal Trek universe. Think of STO as what Trek is like after all the temporal manipulations in Enterprise.

That's what I think when my federation cruiser zaps three Borg cubes in short succession.
    Previously Alendiak
    Daizen - Lvl 60 Tactical - Eclipse
    Selia - Lvl 60 Tactical - Eclipse
  • djmarr1964djmarr1964 Member Posts: 232 Arc User
    orondis wrote: »
    sophlogimo wrote: »
    Personal shields do not exist in this era, yet they are standard-equipped on us (though thankfully not our away team in this mission). I would suggest to get away with that.

Well STO isn't exactly set in the normal Trek universe. Think of STO as what Trek is like after all the temporal manipulations in Enterprise.

That's what I think when my federation cruiser zaps three Borg cubes in short succession.

just to say that this is set after the events in the prime universe when Romulus is destroyed and as for your crusier destroying the borg even when voyager was launched there were ships that could blow up borg ships in a few shots
    The True King In The North
  • orondisorondis Member Posts: 1,447 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    Okay, first impressions

+ Love the dialogue with Tarsis. Felt more "human" than a lot of Fed characters.
    + Enjoyed the missions overall.
    - Wasn't a huge fan of saving the Enterprise. It sounds nice, but when you were helping Shon and Ent-F all it did was make him look rubbish. Now I know it Kirk and we're not going to think he's rubbish... But still.
    + In some ways I'd say it's much better than the Fed tutorial, if only because we weren't right out of the academy and didn't get promoted thanks to the death of the captain. Now if only rank and level weren't interconnected.
    + Trip down memory lane.
    + The TOS era just feels like it could be so much more potential fun.
    -/+ Weapon equip bug.

Not directly related to the tutorial:-

+ Liked the design of the Pioneer class. It felt new, but still felt like a TOS ship.
    + Loved the TOS asthetic of ESD.
    + Loved the new 23rd century sector block. Probably the closest the game has got me to feeling the time travel.
    -/+ TOS ESD is surrounded by 25th century ships.
    - Doors on ESD look too much like wall panels... But then they did in TOS also.
    -/+ Couldn't equip plasmonic leech. I assume that's due to my affiliation with 23rd Starfleet and will change when we reach the 25th.
    - Dilithium store doesn't work.
    - /+ Origin being the default interior for the TOS ships.
    + Noticed Orion
    Previously Alendiak
    Daizen - Lvl 60 Tactical - Eclipse
    Selia - Lvl 60 Tactical - Eclipse
  • jaturnleyjaturnley Member Posts: 1,218 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    On topic, I did not get hung up at the point everyone seems to have with the phaser rifle pickup. I did see the "snow boulders" issue, and the graphical glitches others have reported.

I know it's still very early and probably just the result of things not being done yet, but I feel like I should point out various animation issues: characters whose legs didn't move when running during a majority of the cutscenes, and most of all Spock's full-on sprinting into Garrett's office at the end of the mission like he forgot he was supposed to be there (which was hilariously inappropriate). There was also an issue with Spock and Garrett's faces in that last scene, it looked like they were running at half res or less on the textures.

I also want to say that I actually like the film grain effect, but add that it's in need of a lot of tweaking still. On the char gen screen and on the bridge, the colors are so badly affected by it that blacks all look red, and gold looks entirely wrong. The planet surface effects were OK, although they make the red uniforms look a little too bright. I know you were going for technicolor brightness, but it's more intense than it should be, and looks different than the show.

If you will take a suggestion: Give Garrett's secretary a line about how you are expected and should go right in, then have Spock already in the office, with a couple lines from him thanking you as you interact with the Admiral. Removes the need for him needing to enter the office at all, and gives you a better interact experience with him.

Now for off topic:
    castsbugc wrote: »
    also there is this: screenshot_2016-05-12-19-22-22.jpg
    At most, wouldn't he possibly be a commodore? or does he get a promotion between the tutorial and when I get that mission?

Commodore isn't a normal rank progression step, it's a step for officers that have earned promotion but there is no room in the command structure for an Admiral to keep the command structure from becoming too top heavy. They are given command over a squadron of ships, or a small sector of space, but run that flag from a ship, rather than a starbase. Since the point of Garrett's promotion was to get him off the ship, Admiral was the way to go here. FYI for the sake of complete understanding, Fleet Captain is traditionally a mostly symbolic title given to the most senior captain in a fleet, not an actual rank. All those years of reading Steve Cole go on and on about military tradition are good for something, I guess.

edited May 2016
    12:09pm EDT...

I got a nit or two...

The Transporter Room Console is at the wrong angle facing the transporter pad.
    The Shuttlecraft Copernicus has a weird double shadow and the side door isn't open when we approach to enter.
    (and it still crashes through the shuttle bay doors when leaving the ship.)
    Still getting snowballed by the natives.
    Cut scenes are off kilter, they all go to a black screen for several seconds but you can hear the sounds before the black cuts out.
    SCAN works but doesn't show graphic or sound. (except within the actual storyline)

Dang, for second time at the Equip Phaser Rifle. (deleted first toon, started another)
  • mhall85mhall85 Member Posts: 2,852 Arc User1
    Well, after not being able to find Ensign Mears in the shuttle bay, I deleted my character and tried again...

Twice. Now, I am facing the same issues with the phaser rifle.
    d87926bd02aaa4eb12e2bb0fbc1f7061.jpg
  • jtoon74jtoon74 Member Posts: 409 Arc User
    1. Shuttle bay doors don't open upon first leaving the ship.
    2. Crewman Flores as a shaved head, until he get killed by the Turian then he as a full head of hair.
    3. Endign Tarsi as green hair AND is wearing trousers.
    4. When Crewman Flores gets killed there are two Taurians, but you only fight/scare away one.
    5. The V key dosen't do anything.
    6. Can't get past the "Equip Phaser Rifle" mission on 4 attempts.
    7. Only actually got the "follow the survivor" mission pop up on 4 attempts, could still follow him to Dr Muller however.
    8. Whilst makeing a Human Captain setting the Stomach slider on the body adjustment scale to minimum, caused the waistband of his trousers to clip through his shirt.

Thats all so far.
    tarran61 wrote: »
    macavius wrote: »
    My mission won't progress after the stage in "Bull By the Horns" when it asks to equip the phaser rifle. It won't continue after that I have tried every way to equip the weapon even discarding and retrieving it.
    Same here.
    Also why does the Doc Muller have something newer looking?
    2016-05-12_18-35-16_zpsgtjerefw.jpg

As nobody noticed his Bajoran nose ridges or is he just an holding toon?
  • gpgtxgpgtx Member Posts: 1,579 Arc User
    null
    What is wrong with tarsi having pants?

Number One had pants
    victoriasig_zps23c45368.jpg
    Yes and the television network didn't like that so they had to rework some stuff and female crew members had to wear skirts, pants for female members of starfleet where a no no in this period.
  • gpgtxgpgtx Member Posts: 1,579 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    It is not the 1960s and even in the episode of Spock's trial still had her depicted in pants. They could of reshot or completely cut her out they did not making female officers in pants canon
    victoriasig_zps23c45368.jpg
  • jaturnleyjaturnley Member Posts: 1,218 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    jtoon74 wrote: »
    Yes and the television network didn't like that so they had to rework some stuff and female crew members had to wear skirts, pants for female members of starfleet where a no no in this period.
    The fact that the network changed their minds does not remove that example from canon. Given that by TMP (which takes place 1-8 years after TOS/TAS, depending on what source you look at) trousers were the standard on all crew, it seems reasonable that there were some women in trousers under the old uniform standard.

If you want to be that much of a stickler, there were no female crew members in the tactical/command branch either, so should we be preventing the creation of female tac toons as well?
  • foxwaterfoxwater Member Posts: 48 Arc User
    Okay heres my things so far!

Feedback up to the current game-breaking bug where cannot equip phaser rifle:

1) I really enjoyed the cinematic and introduction. It's looking great.
    2) Personal shields are not invented. There can be NO exception here, we need to do away with personal shields for the entire TOS arc. Perhaps, they can be given them at the end in the future but id rather we add something else. More hp/armor?
    3) Female TOS crew did have the option of something other than the skirt. Its been onscreen that they wore pants, and we know it was only changed because the TV network didn't like that. Canonically, they could wear either. See Enterprise's uniforms, women did not wear skirts.
    4) Disappointing not to see Caitian's. They were a TOS race, they feature in the movies and primarily the animated series. I hope that we will be able to play a TOS Caitian.

What i want to see when i get there (this may be in already? i cannot get past the broken phaser rifle right now to see.)

1) TOS ships in sector space, and TOS interior (even if its just a single one!) for the player ships.
  • foxwaterfoxwater Member Posts: 48 Arc User
    foxwater wrote: »
    Okay heres my things so far!

Feedback up to the current game-breaking bug where cannot equip phaser rifle:

1) I really enjoyed the cinematic and introduction. It's looking great.
    2) Personal shields are not invented. There can be NO exception here, we need to do away with personal shields for the entire TOS arc. Perhaps, they can be given them at the end in the future but id rather we add something else. More hp/armor?
    3) Female TOS crew did have the option of something other than the skirt. Its been onscreen that they wore pants, and we know it was only changed because the TV network didn't like that. Canonically, they could wear either. See Enterprise's uniforms, women did not wear skirts.
    4) Disappointing not to see Caitian's. They were a TOS race, they feature in the movies and primarily the animated series. I hope that we will be able to play a TOS Caitian.

What i want to see when i get there (this may be in already? i cannot get past the broken phaser rifle right now to see.)

1) TOS ships in sector space, and TOS interior (even if its just a single one!) for the player ships.

To add here:

Bug/Oversight: The shuttles left in the bay of the crashed science ship have no name on the hull. As all the TOS shuttles were named, a few couldn't go amiss here.
    edited May 2016
    jaturnley wrote: »
    The fact that the network changed their minds does not remove that example from canon. Given that by TMP (which takes place 1-8 years after TOS/TAS, depending on what source you look at) trousers were the standard on all crew, it seems reasonable that there were some women in trousers under the old uniform standard.

If you want to be that much of a stickler, there were no female crew members in the tactical/command branch either, so should we be preventing the creation of female tac toons as well?

Was just making an observation, my statement really warrented 3 posts about female crewmembers wearing trousers.?
    Calm down.

edited May 2016
    1. Shuttle bay doors don't open upon first leaving the ship.
    2. Crewman Flores as a shaved head, until he get killed by the Turian then he as a full head of hair.
    3. Endign Tarsi as green hair AND is wearing trousers.
    4. When Crewman Flores gets killed there are two Taurians, but you only fight/scare away one.
    5. The V key dosen't do anything.
    6. Can't get past the "Equip Phaser Rifle" mission on 4 attempts.
    7. Only actually got the "follow the survivor" mission pop up on 4 attempts, could still follow him to Dr Muller however.
    8. Whilst makeing a Human Captain setting the Stomach slider on the body adjustment scale to minimum, caused the waistband of his trousers to clip through his shirt.

Thats all so far.

9. the Taureian chief dosen't always appear.

jaturnley wrote: »

Was just making an observation, my statement really warrented 3 posts about female crewmembers wearing trousers.?
    Calm down.
    Heh..
    That'll teach ya to try and take women's pants off of them.
    <snicker>
  • feiqafeiqa Member Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    Film grain needs a toggle so it can be turned off as it is causing eye strain in short order.
    Toggle aim mode is not staying a toggle.
    Odd range distortion in shuttle bay made shuttle doors look pinched
    Shuttle flew through closed doors.
    Dr. Mueller at my landing site when we set down.
    Scientists have 24/25th century phaser rifles.
    Can't progress through equip phaser rifle stage.

Originally Posted by pwlaughingtrendy
    Network engineers are not ship designers.
    Nor should they be. Their ships would look weird.
  • tls1970tls1970 Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    Can't progress through equip phaser rifle stage.