test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Star Trek Online Launching on PS4 and Xbox One this fall

samt1996samt1996 Member Posts: 2,856 Arc User
Against all odds and expectations this is happening! Apparently it includes a massive redesign of the game's UI and a huge graphics update for all platforms.

This could also explain why they dumped Mac support.

I think this will do wonders for the playerbase and i am excited on behalf of everyone who will love it. :)

Comments

• Options
    antonine3258antonine3258 Member Posts: 2,391 Arc User
    It'll be interesting if they're separate or linked to the existing Holodeck. Also, I notice they got the tabs up for the consoles up top in arcgames, at least.
    Fate - protects fools, small children, and ships named Enterprise Will Riker

Member Access Denied Armada!

My forum single-issue of rage: Make the Proton Experimental Weapon go for subsystem targetting!
  • Options
    Yes, more servers could be nice but player integration will be fundemental so that Veterans can bring the new people up to speed.
  • Options
    tarran61tarran61 Member Posts: 827 Arc User
    Rock on, opens the game to more players. Hope we all play together?
    Positive thoughts.
    NeAC.gif
  • Options
    donkeybong420donkeybong420 Member Posts: 97 Arc User
    are they going to be on the same server with pc players or are they going to be on a different server?
  • Options
    That information has not been announced, all we can do is speculate for now.
  • Options
    tatonka84tatonka84 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    Please make it cross-server and make it so we can logon to our characters on all platforms and not have to remake characters if I wanna play on my PS4
  • Options
    arabaturarabatur Member Posts: 408 Arc User
    are they going to be on the same server with pc players or are they going to be on a different server?

If it's anything like how Cryptic dealt with NW for the xbone, separate servers.
    Definitely not an Arc User.
  • Options
    jeronanjeronan Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    Eventhough it would be nice to play together. On the other hand I don't know if it's Nice for PS4 players to get mixed up in 6 year old accounts. Especially in PVP.

I see this as an excellent oportunity to start fresh with everyone else and Level up in a vastly improved and expanded game (compared to PC release 6 years ago).
    Leveling is also pretty fast anyway. I just rerolled on PC and managed to reach Level 20 within 3 evenings.
  • Options
    tatonka84 wrote: »
    Please make it cross-server and make it so we can logon to our characters on all platforms and not have to remake characters if I wanna play on my PS4

to add to this my wife can't play the game with me anymore cuz her pc is broke so if she could pick up her characters she already made and rejoin me with the PS4 would get her back in the game. she hate re-creating.
  • Options
    kirimuffinkirimuffin Member Posts: 692 Arc User
    arabatur wrote: »

If it's anything like how Cryptic dealt with NW for the xbone, separate servers.

Yeah, Neverwinter on XB1 is usually several patches behind the PC version, due to the long approval process for patches on console games. This means the two versions have to run on separate servers. I expect STO to be the same way.
  • Options
    jeronanjeronan Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    That's because XBOX network is a closed network oposed to PlayStation's open network.

Microsoft doesn't allow cross platform play, though they are about to change that in near future.

On PlayStation cross-platform is possible, as FFXIV are cross-platform between PC and PS4.

It Depends on Publisher as well, as both Elder Scrolls Online and DC Universe Online have platform seperated servers.
  • Options
    khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    Where'd we get this info from?
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • Options
    jeronan wrote: »
    That's because XBOX network is a closed network oposed to PlayStation's open network.

Microsoft doesn't allow cross platform play, though they are about to change that in near future.

On PlayStation cross-platform is possible, as FFXIV are cross-platform between PC and PS4.

It Depends on Publisher as well, as both Elder Scrolls Online and DC Universe Online have platform seperated servers.

Oh yeah, you're right! I completely spaced FFXIV being cross-platform. :) So, yeah, the PS4 version could very well share a server with PC.
  • Options
    jeronan wrote: »

DC online just became cross-server but only PS4/PS3-PC but not with xbox
  • Options
    dlmc85dlmc85 Member Posts: 145 Arc User
    I'm happy for the engine overhaul, it was long overdue. Bringing in entire new ecosystems of players will also benefit the game in term of incomes so more stuff (maybe they'll also hire new members to the team beacuse they already have people who work in porting to consoles thanks to NW)
  • Options
    mneme0mneme0 Member Posts: 498 Arc User
    Gross.
  • Options
    kyrrokkyrrok Member Posts: 1,352 Arc User
    khan5000 wrote: »

A fair question. I'm curious too.
  • Options
    khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    It's in the news announcements. They even have a trailer
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    This is hopefully good news for the financial health of the game. More players, more money, maybe they can even afford Shatner before 2016 comes after him too.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    So I just noticed something:

The regular STO ad page has a bunch of AoY stuff on it: TOS ships and locations, Chekov and Scotty, TOS Gorn, etc. However, the console page (that console.startrekonline.com redirects to) has none of that; it just looks like it did before the AoY announcement.

I wonder, does this mean that the console version will be launching without AoY?
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    khan5000 wrote: »

Here. It was on STO's main news page as well.
  • Options
    This is hopefully good news for the financial health of the game. More players, more money, maybe they can even afford Shatner before 2016 comes after him too.

The money they have for Shatner should go to bug fixers instead and when they're done, then the dev's can try bringing him in. Bringing him in now to a deteriorating game is just putting real fancy lipstick on an ugly dying pig.
  • Options
    jim625jim625 Member Posts: 907 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    YES YYYEESSS YYYYYYEEEESSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!

I own a PS4 and soooo hyped for this right now and also for "Agents of Yesterday" :smiley:
  • Options
    thelordofshadesthelordofshades Member Posts: 258 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    kirimuffin wrote: »
    I wonder, does this mean that the console version will be launching without AoY?
    At the moment, the console versions will go live, AoY will be kind of old news.
    And there is not much point in announcing upcoming content for a game, that is not there at the moment.

• Options
    That explains why I've been seeing PC before clicking on forum. Appropriately enough now I'm seeing the other two.
  • Options
    brycraebrycrae Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    Everyone, dont get to happy about this. They will do this like they did Neverwinter. You start from scratch. All that money you have put into Star Trek Online for the last 6 years, say bye bye. PC will not cross over to XBox...just like Neverwinter... So, everyone, get your wallets out and start paying once again...all those ships, all those upgrades, all those etc etc etc etc
  • Options
    thelordofshadesthelordofshades Member Posts: 258 Arc User
    A more interesting moment is that the launch trailer is dedicated solely to Starfleet.
    So - does it mean that the console version is going to be single faction only ?
  • Options
    talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    Considering other games I've seen go from PC to console like WOT, it's going to be a separate server and on 360 tanks, you didn't get all the stuff you used to have, had to start all over again.

I'm pretty sure though STO will have account transfers between the different platforms. I hope anyways.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • Options
    darkzephon1darkzephon1 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    A more interesting moment is that the launch trailer is dedicated solely to Starfleet.
    So - does it mean that the console version is going to be single faction only ?
    In the PS Blog announcement they mention all 3 factions. They may allow cross platform play. Hopefully will be able to transfer my character back and forth or at least to the console.

If not they could give players of the PC version a bonus of some sort for linking accounts even if you cant transfer. Maybe an XP boost or a ship to get you started. So many questions that I suppose will be answered over time.
  • Options
    bubblegirl2015bubblegirl2015 Member Posts: 830 Arc User
    samt1996 wrote: »
    Against all odds and expectations this is happening! Apparently it includes a massive redesign of the game's UI and a huge graphics update for all platforms.

This could also explain why they dumped Mac support.

I think this will do wonders for the playerbase and i am excited on behalf of everyone who will love it. :)

Why making a thread of a thread already posted? Comradeco called it first and the rest are just copy cats...

Please close copy cat threads or consolidate them into one.​​
    Wiki editor http://sto.gamepedia.com
    Original STO beta tester.