test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Forums Are Not Read By Tech Support

lordatrocitieslordatrocities Member Posts: 462 Arc User
edited May 2016 in PC Gameplay Bug Reports
Was politely informed that posting bugs to this forum is a waste of time. The support team doesn't read this forum and anything posted in it is for not. :( I hope this is untrue but given the source, I suspect it is true. Too bad. A game developer who won't read its own bug forums says a lot about them. And its not good.

EDIT - Thank you Devs. It appears that Devs do read the forums and address issues. I stand corrected. Also discovered that many Trolls also read it too. Dev's thank you for taking the issues seriously and trying to make the game better.

What happened to those unique forum ranks I paid for?
Post edited by lordatrocities on

Comments

• sqwishedsqwished Member Posts: 1,475 Bug Hunter
    I dare to disagree just because the Devs aren't that vocal on here doesn't mean they don't read the forums.
    Oh, it's not broken? We can soon fix that!

• crypticspartan#0627 crypticspartan Member Posts: 847 Cryptic Developer
    sqwished wrote: »
    I dare to disagree just because the Devs aren't that vocal on here doesn't mean they don't read the forums.

This.
  • arabaturarabatur Member Posts: 407 Arc User
    I had to spam in game tickets for 3 weeks until a resolution to a long standing KDF fleet quest was resolved. Previous attempts to highlight it via the bug forums was a waste of, as was Customer Services who said post it on the bug forums!

My advice is send as many in game tickets until it is fixed, just describe the bug in as much detail as possible. And hope.
    Definitely not an Arc User.
  • lordatrocitieslordatrocities Member Posts: 462 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    They don't regularly read the forums mate. I hate to say it, they don't. Most likely are resource and time issue. :( I wish they would but they don't. I doubt its anything more than they simply don't have the time or the personnel to do it. Nothing nefarious or dubious, just a resource issue. :(

Edit: post clarified.
    Post edited by lordatrocities on
  • tremere12tremere12 Member Posts: 477 Arc User
    They don't by the looks of it
    Again its most likely a personnel resource issue. They let 1/4 of their staff go a year ago so who knows. They most likely just don't have the people to address the issues we report. The ones that get fixed are the ones that get the most tickets by the most first time player reports. The more people who report a bug the greater the chance it will be addressed sometime in the next year or so. :(
    They don't read the forums mate. I hate to say it, they don't. :( I wish they would but they don't. I doubt its anything more than they simply don't have the time or the personnel to do it. Nothing nefarious or dubious, just a resource issue. :(

Did my name stop saying "Cryptic Developer" next to it?
  • comrademococomrademoco Member Posts: 1,694 Bug Hunter
    They don't read the forums mate. I hate to say it, they don't. :( I wish they would but they don't. I doubt its anything more than they simply don't have the time or the personnel to do it. Nothing nefarious or dubious, just a resource issue. :(

hehehehe... I like you soo much sparty!!! :)
    6tviTDx.png

• sohtohsohtoh Member Posts: 620 Arc User
    I have posted some bugs in the forum and have got Dev responses.
    "I'm not big on telepaths myself. I'm not big on guns either. But if everyone else has them, I want to make sure I can get my hands on the biggest one I can."
  • sgtfloydpepper#7911 sgtfloydpepper Member Posts: 1,111 Arc User
    edited May 2016

You reminded me of:

1x05-cap002.jpg

:)
    1xe027q.png
  • eclipsoreclipsor Member Posts: 93 Arc User
    This is NOT how fixing issues work:

Player: Oh noes found a bug, better post it!
    Dev: Oh my a bug report! Time to press the "Fix it" button I guess!
    Dev presses "Fix it" button
    Dev: Now we wait for Thursday.
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User

I was thinking the same pig-2.gif

OP: Devs don't read bug reports.

Dev: We do.

OP: Devs don't read bug reports, everyone!"

pig-39.gif​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
    arabatur wrote: »
    I had to spam in game tickets for 3 weeks until a resolution to a long standing KDF fleet quest was resolved. Previous attempts to highlight it via the bug forums was a waste of, as was Customer Services who said post it on the bug forums!

My advice is send as many in game tickets until it is fixed, just describe the bug in as much detail as possible. And hope.

This just creates a back log and means people have to trawl through multiple tickets, which reduces the time they could be looking into other issue's
    Again its most likely a personnel resource issue. They let 1/4 of their staff go a year ago so who knows. They most likely just don't have the people to address the issues we report. The ones that get fixed are the ones that get the most tickets by the most first time player reports. The more people who report a bug the greater the chance it will be addressed sometime in the next year or so. :(

This is simply not the case, I've seen submitted reports that maybe one or two people have complained about, yet they have been fixed. There is no magic fix it button. what may seem like a simple fix may have far more serious consequences when that fix interacts with another portion of the game.

Several months ago, Trendy in conjunction with certain dev's founded the Operational Support Team and set about recruiting volunteers from the player base that also frequent the forums. The idea being that these "Bug Hunters" track down these bugs, errors, exploits and other oddities that appear in the game. They then set about trying to replicate said issue's. If they are indeed able to do so, they create a details report and submit it via a private forum (and it's private for a very good reason) and which point a Dev will come along read the report, confirm it if possible and then submit it to be fixed. Now I can't speak for the other bug hunters out there, but if anyone reading this has an issue that they'd like looking at please free to contact me either via these forums or in game @sqwishedgrape, and I'll try my hardest to help.​​

• dareaudareau Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    arabatur wrote: »

Are you sure about that?

It can take, oh, maybe 3 weeks - sometimes more, sometimes less - from when they're notified of the issue till they find the cause, correct, test, and implement the new version.

So, the

is just a big case of "failed perception". As we can see by our friendly poster with a yellow name, they in fact do read the forums...

Oh, on a side note that I'm a little shocked hasn't been said yet, would you rather the Devs be reading the forums then rushing off to the code to start looking for the problem, or would you rather them spend most of their day posting "yes, we see this, I'll get to it after replying to all your bug posts..."
    Detecting big-time "anti-old-school" bias here. NX? Lobi. TOS/TMP Connie? Super-promotion-box. (aka the two hardest ways to get ships) Excelsior & all 3 TNG "big hero" ships? C-Store. Please Equalize...

To rob a line: [quote: Mariemaia Kushrenada] Forum Posting is much like an endless waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever. However, opinions will change upon the reading of my post.[/quote]
  • thekodanarmada#7342 thekodanarmada Member Posts: 1,631 Arc User
    I'm overall happy with my dev response on this very forum, so the thread OP's problem clearly cannot be replicated.
    DInb0Vo.gif[/url][/center]
    I'm overall happy with my dev response on this very forum, so the thread OP's problem clearly cannot be replicated.

I would also specifically state that this thread of yours is a fantastic example of how to post exploits and game-breaking bugs in the public forums. Specifically, you posted proof that something was happening with little to no details on how to do it, asked for how to privately report it, and then did so with very clear, in-depth reproduction steps.
    dareau wrote: »
    Oh, on a side note that I'm a little shocked hasn't been said yet, would you rather the Devs be reading the forums then rushing off to the code to start looking for the problem, or would you rather them spend most of their day posting "yes, we see this, I'll get to it after replying to all your bug posts..."

This is one reason many bugs in here don't get developer responses. The knowledge that many threads in here that get looked at do not get developer responses is why I'm specifically being active in this one, to attempt to be clearer that frequent developer presence here occurs.
  • borticuscrypticborticuscryptic Member Posts: 2,478 Cryptic Developer
    ... frequent developer presence here occurs.

What he said.
    Jeremy Randall
    Cryptic - Lead Systems Designer
    "Play smart!"
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    Heh...
    So who's watching the Watchers...?

B)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • ddesjardinsddesjardins Member Posts: 3,056 Media Corps
    After 5 years I can give you concrete evidence that yes, they do read the forums. And yes, they do fix things.

First off - posting in the forums is one thing. Filing out a ticket on ARC is another. Sending an issue to the right channel helps.

The order in which a bug is handled is not that hard to figure out. When they (the developers) get enough practical information to actually see and replicate a problem, they can tackle it. Depending on how it impacts the game will determine the order in which they are done.

I also believe that the adage - 'the squeeky wheel gets the grease' - may also play a role.

edited May 2016

I would also specifically state that this thread of yours is a fantastic example of how to post exploits and game-breaking bugs in the public forums. Specifically, you posted proof that something was happening with little to no details on how to do it, asked for how to privately report it, and then did so with very clear, in-depth reproduction steps.

Awww shucks.

A pinned post with instructions on what is useful to troubleshoot problem reports could help here. But that line of what to make public is fuzzier. For mine, I was pretty clearly accidentally running into unintended gameplay with questionable if any benefits.

Could be the pinned post could use something like "if it crosses this line, make a thread, post no reproduction details, ask for a dev to PM and wait." But that's language geared more for preventing exploitable method spreading and less for common bugs players run into that don't provide a benefit.

Edit: (It really did make for a fabulous sig though.)

Edit2: I meant to mention that this thread has broken links that I believe were attempting to lead to this subforum, but default back to the forums top level.
  • quepanquepan Member Posts: 540 Arc User
    After being here for so many Yrs now i have to say that yes the DEVs pay attention to the forums , if it can be fixed its fixed. sometimes it takes time to sort it out , and they s sometimes have to prioritize what they fix . DEVs may not always speak up , but most of the time they do . comes down to the information given and how easy the issue is to replicate .
  • r5e4w3q2r5e4w3q2 Member Posts: 341 Arc User
    This thread needs more
    https://youtu.be/Vhh_GeBPOhs​​
  • picardocaptpicardocapt Member Posts: 81 Arc User
    Ok - Are you asking and giving feedback about factual and empiric information - Or are you complaining like a spoiled 11 year old.

There is a difference (a)

Q'apla!
    "To baldly go, where no one has gone before"

Readying my post and making funny pun comment doesn't mean you read all posts. But thank you for reading the ones you do. Now can you tell us if any of the bugs reported in this forum actually get worked on? And if so, which ones? Does posting about issues in this forum have value or is it just a waste of time? If I recall, I had to point out the issue in a ticket a few days ago and BEG that someone read the tech forums. I am so glad someone has. But will you keep reading them?
    edited May 2016
    Ok - Are you asking and giving feedback about factual and empiric information - Or are you complaining like a spoiled 11 year old.

There is a difference (a)

Q'apla!

When people troll posts and threads nothing gets fixed.
    Sorry Dev's.
    [But thank you for reading the ones you do. Now can you tell us if any of the bugs reported in this forum actually get worked on?

If I may answer this one Spartan,

http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline#/discussion/1214732/expose-missing : Confirmed and submitted

http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline#/discussion/1215104/polarize-hull-and-apo : Confirmed and Submitted.

http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline#/discussion/1215006/duplicate-items-at-kernim-research-lab-consoles-npc : Confirmed and submitted.

http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline#/discussion/1214736/r-d-bugged-after-todays-patch : Confirmed, Submitted and subsequently fixed.

These have been taken from the first two pages of the bug report forum. But there is no instant "Fix it" button. It can take any where from a few minutes to alter a value in a database or several days altering code. There are a bunch of other bug hunters that are trying to get these issue's sorted out. Because we understand how frustrating these bugs can be. But what doesn't help is when someone comes along as simply says "X is broken please fix" but they provide us with little in the way of details to help us recreate and confirm the issue.​​

How about a public-facing read-only bugzilla report (or whatever actual ticketing system exists)? Or weekly dev summaries bugs subforum thread? That kind of transparency could go a long way with some users. Not all users will be happy anyway, but that's expected.