Star Trek: Beyond...

124»

Comments

• Options
    smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,664 Arc User
    farmallm wrote: »
    jonsills wrote: »
    farmallm wrote: »
    I refused to watch them, and I will do the same with this one.
    Then how do you know anything about the quality of the movies?

Reminds me of my son's refusal for years to even try chocolate - don't know why, but somehow he got it into his head that chocolate was terrible. Then one day we managed to get a piece of it into his mouth. Ten seconds later - "Hey, this is good!" Surprised expression and everything.

Who knows, one day you might get off your high horse, watch the '09 movie, and find yourself saying, with an expression of surprise, "Hey, this is good!"

You should learn to respect other views of the movie. Instead of bashing them cause of it. We all don't see it the same as you do. Regardless you will always have some who hates the movie. I didn't bash you cause of your view. Or mentioned anyone in my response. So who is really on the high horse here?

As for the 09. I saw a few minutes of it. About up to the part where he was in the Academy. And saw where he rigged the test eating an apple looking like an fool. After that I stopped and deleted it from my DVR. Glad I didn't pay to see it at the movies or rent it. To me it was like watching a horrible low budget Spoof movie. Which I really hate those. So since then I called this series JJ Spoof Trek. And this series really is garbage. I'm not the only one who sees this. Just respect that.

What qualifies a good movie?
    All depends on the viewer. So there isn't a set standard. I saw poorly rated movies most hated. And I enjoyed them. Many people hated the Star Trek TMP. I think it was epic. Some hates the TNG series of movies. I really loved them. So your answer to a good movie. The variables is unknown as it depends on the viewers.

Friend! It's nice to see I'm not the only one who felt the same about the JJ film (especially the simulator scene....wanted to throw something heavy at Kirk for acting like a jerk, as well as other times) I did not pay to see it, I only saw the first one via a preproduction DVD (I got a friend who works for DVD companies and he worked on the first JJ DVD and brought an unfinished copy, only the play film works, the other select able items don't take ya anywhere) and I was underwhelmed.

And TMP is my fav of the films, and I liked the TNG films. And It would be nice if some folks can simply accept that not all of us likes JJ Trek, hell, I don't even like JJ's other works, so I'm not a fan of this guy at all, really.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    jonsills wrote: »
    artan42 wrote: »
    artan42 wrote: »
    It seems somebody's let Uhura have some sleeves. Now if we can let her wear trousers as well we're golden.

Did you actually every watch TOS? I ask because when did they EVER have Uhura wearing trousers? What pretty women in attractive outfits are now 'un-Trek'? This isn't TNG, thanks. ;)

Since when was this TOS? Since when was this the 1960s?
    Since Captain James T. Kirk sat in the center seat of the starship Enterprise, his friend and science officer Spock serving as his first officer as well, with Leonard "Bones" McCoy down in Sickbay and Montgomery "Scotty" Scott nursing his "wee bairns" in Engineering.

(On the other hand, it was Nichelle Nichols who insisted on her uniform skirt being so short - she was, justifiably in my opinion, proud of her legs.)

TOS was a TV show that aired 50 years ago. This is TAR or the Kelvin Timeline. It's a completely different entity. It has the same characters but that's where the similarities end.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    amosov78amosov78 Member Posts: 1,495 Arc User
    Warning major spoiler revealed in this trailer: https://youtube.com/watch?v=derB59I21Fw
    U.S.S. Endeavour NCC-71895 - Nebula-class
    Commanding Officer: Captain Pyotr Ramonovich Amosov
    Dedication Plaque: "Nil Intentatum Reliquit"
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    i watched it...i'm not seeing any spoiler​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,367 Arc User
    Spoiler? The Franklin escaping, perhaps, which was spoiled like three trailers ago?​​
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    It's funny, many folks seem to miss the meaning of the "Apple Eating" in Trek-09...

It harks back to a key scene in "The Wrath of Khan"...

https://youtu.be/b9dEI-Ru1CI

Prime Kirk probably WAS a whole lotta kockyness, when he cheated on the 'No-Win Senerio'.

IMO, the apple ties the two of them together nicely.
    B)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    amosov78amosov78 Member Posts: 1,495 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    I believe the spoiler is Idris Elba being visible as a human.

Pretty much. According to those that have seen the film this is meant to be the big twist towards the end. At least now we know why the USS Franklin is found by the Enterprise crew on the surface of Altamid.
    U.S.S. Endeavour NCC-71895 - Nebula-class
    Commanding Officer: Captain Pyotr Ramonovich Amosov
    Dedication Plaque: "Nil Intentatum Reliquit"
  • Options
    daveyny wrote: »
    It's funny, many folks seem to miss the meaning of the "Apple Eating" in Trek-09...

Prime Kirk probably WAS a whole lotta kockyness, when he cheated on the 'No-Win Senerio'.

B)
    the 2009 apple bit was eye rolling, to me. JJ Kirk was "OMG, look at how bad TRIBBLE I am! GAWD, I'M SO KEWL!!!!!" :s
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • Options

B)

no, from what I remember, Kirk was described as "a stack of books with legs" and 'grim' and even taught a class, in which "you either think....or sink" Sounds nothing like JJ's James Dean Jerk.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter

B)
    the 2009 apple bit was eye rolling, to me. JJ Kirk was "OMG, look at how bad **** I am! GAWD, I'M SO KEWL!!!!!" :s

Oh I get it. JJ both simultaneously doesn't care enough about ST and adds in in very specific callbacks with very niche appeal showing a close attention to detail. Tell me more about his logic of yours
    no, from what I remember, Kirk was described as "a stack of books with legs" and 'grim' and even taught a class, in which "you either think....or sink" Sounds nothing like JJ's James Dean Jerk.

Isn't it amazing what being raised differently will do to people eh? It's almost like being raise by an abusive stepfather would produce a different person than one who was raised a loving father. I don't mind if people don't like the films, but there's a difference between not liking them for good reasons and just being lazy.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!