Install Arc
Options

Older Event Rewards

13»

Comments

• Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    warpangel wrote: »
    add to this the fact that it might not be such a good practice to offer past rewards for new players to collect, just imagine sto has a very long lifespan for an online game, new players have more and more past rewards to collect that they could actually be put off by the prospect of how long it is actually going to take them to collect these rewards.
    No matter how long, it would still always be shorter than "never."
    finally offering past rewards breeds complacency in players, why bother playing this event to get that reward when I can pick it up in the next event anyway.
    If you want the reward you play the event. And if you don't want the reward, what do you care if its available in the next event? Fact is people who don't want the reward this year probably won't want it next year either.

But there's lots of people who weren't playing last year, or the year before that, who would gladly play this year's events multiple times to catch up.

that might be true in some cases but I know of several players who put off getting event ships thinking they could catch up the following year or the year after that or thought they probably might get them some time in the future when they could be bothered and now desperately want these ships now they have been retired and I am pretty sure there are a lot more out there in the same predicament that I don't know about.
    Yes, I've heard that before and I call BS on it. Those people skipped the event ships because they couldn't care less and they still would've skipped them even if they had been told they would be removed. The reason they want those ships now has nothing to do with "exclusivity" and everything to do with Admiralty.

Cryptic screwed themselves over there, too. All those people who had been skipping the event ships the years before would've played catch-up in 2015, since the ships were now valuable even to players who didn't want to fly them. But they were excluded in a misguided attempt to encourage people to get the current one. And unfortunately, thanks to more people wanting the ship than previous years (for Admiralty), they may have looked at their stats and actually believe to have succeeded.
    if the new players are that bothered let it be them that ask for rewards to be repeated in the forums, ironically it seldom is.
    New players who are bothered by this sort of thing will never start playing the game at all. I certainly would not start playing STO now. Not after 2015.
    dareau wrote: »
    Side Logic: You thinking of playing STO but not in? Start today, not "later" or when you finish with X...
    Better side logic: Thinking of playing STO but not in? Don't bother, play something that's recently released instead.

I'd say "New players will NOT be locked out of 6 years of fun" would make a better marketing strategy than the opposite.
  • Options
    bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    add to this the fact that it might not be such a good practice to offer past rewards for new players to collect, just imagine sto has a very long lifespan for an online game, new players have more and more past rewards to collect that they could actually be put off by the prospect of how long it is actually going to take them to collect these rewards.
    No matter how long, it would still always be shorter than "never."
    finally offering past rewards breeds complacency in players, why bother playing this event to get that reward when I can pick it up in the next event anyway.
    If you want the reward you play the event. And if you don't want the reward, what do you care if its available in the next event? Fact is people who don't want the reward this year probably won't want it next year either.

But there's lots of people who weren't playing last year, or the year before that, who would gladly play this year's events multiple times to catch up.

that might be true in some cases but I know of several players who put off getting event ships thinking they could catch up the following year or the year after that or thought they probably might get them some time in the future when they could be bothered and now desperately want these ships now they have been retired and I am pretty sure there are a lot more out there in the same predicament that I don't know about.
    Yes, I've heard that before and I call BS on it. Those people skipped the event ships because they couldn't care less and they still would've skipped them even if they had been told they would be removed. The reason they want those ships now has nothing to do with "exclusivity" and everything to do with Admiralty.

well that's where you are wrong @warpangel , the instances where seasoned players admitted on this forum they only wanted these ships now they are no longer available did so long before Admiralty was even thought of or heard about by players so you will need to revise your theory on that one.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• Options
    bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    if the new players are that bothered let it be them that ask for rewards to be repeated in the forums, ironically it seldom is.
    New players who are bothered by this sort of thing will never start playing the game at all. I certainly would not start playing STO now. Not after 2015.

as I have said previously if these new players don't want to play sto as there are limited edition items they cant get they best not play online games of this type at all as they all appear to have certain limited edition items that were given away in various events and are no longer available, perhaps they would be better off downloading tetris.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.