test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Older Event Rewards

Has Cryptic said anything about putting up older event rewards such as the neutronic torpedo, and mirror Hakeev? Thanks.

Comments

• salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    Neutronic Torpedo is rep gear. They have said that they will keep actual event rewards more exclusive. So I wouldn't hold out for Mirror Hakeev.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • originalspockoriginalspock Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    Neutronic Torpedo is rep gear. They have said that they will keep actual event rewards more exclusive. So I wouldn't hold out for Mirror Hakeev.

Bah I meant to say Crystalline Energy Torpedo Launcher. However they have been saying exclusive for a while now, I am wondering what's the point?

Bah I meant to say Crystalline Energy Torpedo Launcher. However they have been saying exclusive for a while now, I am wondering what's the point?
    You didn't ask what the point of exclusivity was in your original post. You acted as if you had no idea that there was exclusivity despite knowing full well of it.

The point was to get us to play during the events as they occurred. If we feel jilted for missing out, we'll theoretically be sure to always play the events from now on so that we don't miss out again.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    The point was to get us to play during the events as they occurred. If we feel jilted for missing out, we'll theoretically be sure to always play the events from now on so that we don't miss out again.
    Keyword being "theoretically."

In practice...well can't say about others but I definitely played the winter/summer events a lot less after the changes in 2015. Although technically, they already started the downslide in 2014 with the ill-fated alt discount.

I also know I'd play Crystal, Mirror, etc events more if I could work on getting the old rewards for newer toons in addition to the latest doohickey. Not to mention reruns would let them run the events more often.
  • bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited April 2016

you talk about exclusive rewards as if its a new thing, apart from the seasonal summer/winter/anniversary event rewards the other event rewards have always been exclusive.
    as for the seasonal events it was pretty much a given from the start that the availability of past event ships was going to be short lived, in fact I was surprised it lasted as long as it did.
    the quicker players get that past event rewards are no longer going to be available the sooner players will stop with these pointless threads.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• originalspockoriginalspock Member Posts: 809 Arc User

You didn't ask what the point of exclusivity was in your original post. You acted as if you had no idea that there was exclusivity despite knowing full well of it.

I acted as if everyone already knew exclusivity was known and didn't need to bring it up. Though I cannot imagine why you would think I would act like I had no idea, and for what gain. However, given the frequency of new rewards, I don't understand your reasoning, if an event were to last 1 week(end) that offers older rewards, and then the next week(end) offer new rewards. I would consider that more incentive to play and collect everything, as opposed to sometimes be too busy to collect one offs and missing them forever. There are a few items I would like to grind for, I don't care if its harder than the original event was, I just want them for my pile of junk. Even if the rewards are thematic, they could certainly be rewarded before or after the typical time of their original release.
    edited April 2016

I acted as if everyone already knew exclusivity was known and didn't need to bring it up. Though I cannot imagine why you would think I would act like I had no idea, and for what gain. However, given the frequency of new rewards, I don't understand your reasoning, if an event were to last 1 week(end) that offers older rewards, and then the next week(end) offer new rewards. I would consider that more incentive to play and collect everything, as opposed to sometimes be too busy to collect one offs and missing them forever. There are a few items I would like to grind for, I don't care if its harder than the original event was, I just want them for my pile of junk. Even if the rewards are thematic, they could certainly be rewarded before or after the typical time of their original release.

at the end of the day we the players cannot dictate what rewards are offered and for what challenge, cryptic have chosen to offer one off rewards that will never be repeated, it is not up to us to choose when to play for these rewards if we want them, cryptic chooses when these rewards are available.

perhaps cryptic would rather periodically have one big event running for 3 weeks where a unique reward is available that has never appeared before in game that is likely to draw in a lot of players who know this is their only chance to get this reward as it will never be available again instead of a lot of mini events where prizes are continually on offer and nobody is bothered all that much as if they miss it this time they can always pick it up the next time it is available.

you have two options, either play for them when they are available or miss out on them completely, the choice is yours to make and that is the only thing you get to choose.

• tessaravejgantessaravejgan Member Posts: 276
    Event rewards (aside from that doff you get from halloween mission) are "exclusive limited time offers'' like summer/winter ships, mirror invasion/crystalline items, etc. so no, you won't be seeing those again, for the time being anyway (never says never). I suggest if you see an event coming plan accordingly and grab it while you can. I sure will.
  • tacticalrooktacticalrook Member Posts: 810 Arc User
    you have two options, either play for them when they are available or miss out on them completely, the choice is yours to make and that is the only thing you get to choose.
    These conditions may be trivial for hardcore players, but casual players like me, who have to deal with the daily responsibilities of life (family, work, community, etc.), often find it difficult to meet such hefty time requirements (some event missions take a considerable amount of time to complete) in such strict intervals (20h time-gating) over such a strict window of opportunity. In the end, there really is no choice between whether family, work, community, or other real-life responsibilities take priority over a video game. Sometimes it means not being able to get the shiny event ship, I'm fine with that, but I can understand how other casuals may not be, and I can understand how they would like to receive satisfaction; some way to tie up loose ends for something they began in good faith.

The system is set up to reward hardcore players at the expense of casuals. If that's what the game needs, I can accept that. But to suggest that everyone has the choice to make a video game top-priority #1 in their lives is patently absurd.

/channel_join grind
  • bernatkbernatk Member Posts: 1,089 Bug Hunter
    These conditions may be trivial for hardcore players, but casual players like me, who have to deal with the daily responsibilities of life (family, work, community, etc.), often find it difficult to meet such hefty time requirements (some event missions take a considerable amount of time to complete) in such strict intervals (20h time-gating) over such a strict window of opportunity. In the end, there really is no choice between whether family, work, community, or other real-life responsibilities take priority over a video game. Sometimes it means not being able to get the shiny event ship, I'm fine with that, but I can understand how other casuals may not be, and I can understand how they would like to receive satisfaction; some way to tie up loose ends for something they began in good faith.

The system is set up to reward hardcore players at the expense of casuals. If that's what the game needs, I can accept that. But to suggest that everyone has the choice to make a video game top-priority #1 in their lives is patently absurd.

If you're busy with real life and work then you're probably have some surplus cash laying around. So when these events come around you can drop some cash on the game and get the rewards right away for lobis. It's really a question of life, work, leisure time and ultimately money balance.

Also yes they said something. They said they won't make them available anymore. Heck they even said they will cancel any non-finished projects...
    Tck7dQ2.jpg
    Dahar Master Mary Sue                                               Fleet Admiral Bloody Mary

just telling it the way it is, if you want the prize bad enough you will make time regardless of other responsibilities.
    ok you may not have time to get the item for all of your characters but if you are a casual player as you say you should make sure you don't have more characters then you can cope with anyway.
    just don't expect cryptic to bend to your will as they are pretty adamant about this exclusivity thing so I guess that's how they want it even if you don't.
    either make time and get the reward or go without, its up to you.

• feiqafeiqa Member Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    For my two cents.
    I think they are not going to which is a shame because I still have the mirror incursion reward half full for the shotgun.
    And I would love to be able to do something so my much later characters have a chance to get the Worf sash.
    I but I shall not hold my breath.

Originally Posted by pwlaughingtrendy
    Network engineers are not ship designers.
    Nor should they be. Their ships would look weird.
    warpangel wrote: »
    Keyword being "theoretically."

In practice...well can't say about others but I definitely played the winter/summer events a lot less after the changes in 2015. Although technically, they already started the downslide in 2014 with the ill-fated alt discount.

I also know I'd play Crystal, Mirror, etc events more if I could work on getting the old rewards for newer toons in addition to the latest doohickey. Not to mention reruns would let them run the events more often.
    I've missed out on plenty of limited time stuff. I'm not necessarily a proponent of the idea of exclusivity but I understand the reasoning in making prizes limited time offers. If others choose not to accept the reasoning behind it for self-centered or greedy reasons. That's on them.
    edited April 2016
    bernatk wrote: »

If you're busy with real life and work then you're probably have some surplus cash laying around. So when these events come around you can drop some cash on the game and get the rewards right away for lobis. It's really a question of life, work, leisure time and ultimately money balance.

Also yes they said something. They said they won't make them available anymore. Heck they even said they will cancel any non-finished projects...

the lobi solution only works with ship projects, CCE, mirror and breach have no libi for token option available.
    the cancelling of projects also only applies to ship projects.
    feiqa wrote: »
    For my two cents.
    I think they are not going to which is a shame because I still have the mirror incursion reward half full for the shotgun.
    And I would love to be able to do something so my much later characters have a chance to get the Worf sash.
    I but I shall not hold my breath.

you should be ok to finish the half done shotgun project the next time a mirror event comes up, it is only the ship projects that are being removed before the next events to the best of my knowledge.
    unfortunately any un-slotted projects are out of reach but unfinished projects for CCE, mirror and breach are all completable.

just don't expect cryptic to bend to your will as they are pretty adamant about this exclusivity thing so I guess that's how they want it even if you don't.
    You must have misread, friend, I said I was fine with the system as it is.

/channel_join grind
    You must have misread, friend, I said I was fine with the system as it is.

so you did, I totally missed that bit.
    my apologies.

edited April 2016
    If you're busy with real life and work then you're probably have some surplus cash laying around.

That's quite the non sequitur to conclude someone "probably [has] surplus cash laying around" because they are busy with real life and work.
    /channel_join grind
    If you're busy with real life and work then you're probably have some surplus cash laying around.

That's quite the non sequitur to conclude someone "probably [has] surplus cash laying around" because they are busy with real life and work.

in actual fact I think its quite the non sequitur to conclude someone who makes time to get these rewards hasn't got a real life and work.

• waldotrekwaldotrek Member Posts: 318 Arc User
    I see no reason not to rerun items that are 5 yrs or older. Also the Breen Boff is a good example of things players should get another shot at getting considering all the Breen ships that have come out.
    Former Moderator 10-28-16
    edited April 2016
    in actual fact I think its quite the non sequitur to conclude someone who makes time to get these rewards hasn't got a real life and work.
    I'm not following your argument, here. Someone who has to "make time" to be able to have the extended play time necessary to complete these video game events, by giving it priority over real life, has most definitely given up part of that real life. That's real life they are not going to have.
    /channel_join grind
    edited April 2016
    I'm not following your argument, here. Someone who has to "make time" to be able to have the extended play time necessary to complete these video game events, by giving it priority over real life, has most definitely given up part of that real life. That's real life they are not going to have.

we all lead busy lives, I work 12 hour shifts, I also have a home to look after, a grandchild to take care of and sometimes family get together's to attend.
    even so I can still spend a little time when an event comes around to get these rewards, the events are not continuously running one after another.
    we have winter summer and anniversary @ 25 days each and mirror, CCE and breach @ 14 days each, that's 117 days in a 365 day year and at most 20 minutes a day per event.
    if I could not spare 20 minutes a day for 117 days in a year to get the rewards I want then I would give up playing MMORPG's all together.
    if your real life is that important to you that you cant spare the time then these rewards cant be all that important to you in comparison so why worry about them.

you sound like you actually begrudge the time you spend playing, that's definitely not the mind-set you need for video games.
    Post edited by bobbydazlers on

We're all different, with our own set of circumstances and priorities. That's precisely why casuals are at such a disadvantage with this type of system, many of us simply aren't able to shirk our real life responsibilities, prior commitments, or whatnot to even have the option of "making time" for these extended-play events. Personally, I'm fine with it. I'm sure there are good reasons to utilize this system, and I have faith they are doing what's best for the game and its community in the long haul by withholding event rewards from casual players who cannot meet the strict timetable and attendance requirements.
    /channel_join grind

Uhm, it's the age old gamer's conflict. It's a rather old concept that needs constant reintroduction to the newer generations. Anyways, here it is you're either cash-poor or time-poor. But usually not both.
    Tck7dQ2.jpg
    Dahar Master Mary Sue                                               Fleet Admiral Bloody Mary

Uhm, it's the age old gamer's conflict. It's a rather old concept that needs constant reintroduction to the newer generations. Anyways, here it is you're either cash-poor or time-poor. But usually not both.
    I'll have to resist the urge to quote you on this to folks who claim to be poor, despite having dual employment.
    /channel_join grind

I'll have to resist the urge to quote you on this to folks who claim to be poor, despite having dual employment.

I'm glad you resisted because we are on a video game's discussion forum. (And as you know video games are the most luxurious items man has ever invented.)
    Tck7dQ2.jpg
    We're all different, with our own set of circumstances and priorities. That's precisely why casuals are at such a disadvantage with this type of system, many of us simply aren't able to shirk our real life responsibilities, prior commitments, or whatnot to even have the option of "making time" for these extended-play events. Personally, I'm fine with it. I'm sure there are good reasons to utilize this system, and I have faith they are doing what's best for the game and its community in the long haul by withholding event rewards from casual players who cannot meet the strict timetable and attendance requirements.

you keep saying your fine with it but then carry on wording your comments like your actually not.

I'm glad you resisted because we are on a video game's discussion forum. (And as you know video games are the most luxurious items man has ever invented.)
    What?
    /channel_join grind
  • semalda226semalda226 Member Posts: 1,994 Arc User
    *Grabs popcorn*
    tumblr_mxl2nyOKII1rizambo1_500.png

• gerwalk0769gerwalk0769 Member Posts: 1,095 Arc User
    Has Cryptic said anything about putting up older event rewards such as the neutronic torpedo, and mirror Hakeev? Thanks.

Cryptic has been doubling down on keeping exclusive items exclusive so I doubt that old items will be reintroduced. New items will appear with events.
    Joined STO in September 2010.
  • nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    This summer is going to be interesting. Cryptic DESPERATELY wants and needs to bring in new players via exposure at the Anniversary celebration and the building hype train for the new show. But they're gonna be wasting their time if new players show up here and we rightly and cheerfully tell them "You're hosed. You'll never come close to the power of the veterans though a combination of free ships, exclusive ships, some of the most powerful consoles in the game, oh yeah and they'll out earn you in the admiralty system too. All stuff that Cryptic has been adamant about never offering again. Welcome to the game. Oh, they tossed the exploration out years ago and PvP is a tragic joke. But there's 22 gambling boxes that they re-release every couple of months!"

Revamping the skill system had better be just the first of MANY changes on the way.