test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Serously upset about new skill system. Seriosuly, make a dam poll before changing the core of STO!

Comments

• alexraptorralexraptorr Member Posts: 1,192 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    And even so you would have to be pretty naive to think it would even be a technical possibility to port over skill specs to an entirely new skill system.
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid." - Q
  • pertunepertune Member Posts: 39 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    First off : i love the space Skill tree, easier to make more builds with out having to worry about respecing just to fit in "Flow Caps".
    Secondly : The Ground Tree SUCKS to the point i'm going to quit, i dont play this game for space anymore, no challenge, my ground game has been increasing monthly (or with each lock box trait that boost ground) now this, i made my ground build off of Crits and now my CritCh has been severely Nerfed to the point i've had it with Empty Promises of "PLAYERS LOSE NOTHING" *cough* @Borticus *cough* last time i believe anything a dev tells us... Period.

Way to kill your last PvP group Cryptic.
  • rogueange11usrogueange11us Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    I have not seen a lot of players saying this new system is great. quite the contrary. many are not happy with it all plus having to reassign skills and traits and other things and have skill bars messed up. makes playing the game hell until one goes through a ton of effort resetting everything and then trying it to hope it is usable.
  • ktonof1aqktonof1aq Member Posts: 210 Arc User
    Right? Come on guys. Your ships were stale, obsolete and like any realtime vessel, you received orders to report to spacedock. Your crew rotated, your ship's systems are upgraded, some of it is good, some of it is learning, and lots of it is pushing the designs and specs to tolerance. Hurray Cryptic for keeping the game interesting.
  • ktonof1aqktonof1aq Member Posts: 210 Arc User
    You ship builders should love this stuff. All new designs for you. Almost like a new challenge maybe?
  • spyralpegacyonspyralpegacyon Member Posts: 408 Arc User
    I'm enjoying the buffs to weapons, grav well, team support, and recharge time. Did DRB get nerfed? I can't really tell, everything dies faster. I haven't checked ground combat, but its nice to have my mines, drones, and turrets all buffed at the same rate now.
    tumblr_n1hmq4Xl7S1rzu2xzo2_400.gif
  • nateham101#2745 nateham101 Member Posts: 420 Arc User
    Just another intentional money grab. AKA Retrain Tokens. That is why it was designed this way, easy to make mistakes. Thank goodness there are Skill calculators out there now to make it easier. But, I do like the new system. Was able to duplicate my build, and gain a few extra goodies. Look forward to surpassing my 75k dps mark soon.
    1Wlp6QH.gif
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    I'm enjoying the buffs to weapons, grav well, team support, and recharge time. Did DRB get nerfed? I can't really tell, everything dies faster. I haven't checked ground combat, but its nice to have my mines, drones, and turrets all buffed at the same rate now.
    Yeah, played the FE, did the new redalert a few times... didn't really notice a change. I didn't even spend all my skill points.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • geekguy79geekguy79 Member Posts: 209 Arc User
    going to just chime in again and say new skill system is awesome, its even more powerful offensively and defensively, and that also goes for ground too if ask me, yes its been wayyy simplified on ground with less choices, but they all work so much better, i skilled into ground fairly balanced, offensive and defensive skills, and all my toons are performing much better on ground.
  • kekvinkekvin Member Posts: 633 Arc User
    Yh im impressed with the new skill system. Been here since open beta and its such an improvement. Easy to understand. Was way overdue and very much needed
  • catsmeatcatsmeat Member Posts: 106 Arc User
    My 2 cents: I'm loving it! :)

Yay!

Cheers
  • chipg7chipg7 Member Posts: 1,577 Arc User
    Still seeing overall improvements on my characters. Sci especially, I'm getting better results than I did before. My tank toon is also heavier, and can take a lot more damage - as well as deal it.
  • gradiigradii Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    You know what's total bull*** about the skill revamp? You have to COMMIT EACH POINT as you go. No previewing your build.

It's literally designed to encourage mistakes so you're forced to buy respecs, extremely dishonest.

Aside from that its not too bad.

"He shall be my finest warrior, this generic man who was forced upon me.
    Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
    he shall be of iron will and steely sinew.
    In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
    He will be untouched by plague or disease; no sickness shall blight him.
    He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
    He is my answer to cryptic logic, he is the Defender of my Romulan Crew.
    He is Tovan Khev... and he shall know no fear."
  • artanisenartanisen Member Posts: 431 Arc User
    It is a nice improvement but don't
    think anyone noticed yet that they
    didn't update the npc's.

I am loving the fact that phaser proc
    is working now but have a feeling it will
    be short lived.
  • gradiigradii Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    samt1996 wrote: »
    Fact is if your seeing a decrease in performance it's almost certainly user error. I know everyone thinks their freaking God these days but your not. Complaining about something you've used for less then 24 hours is extremely stupid.

I think we know who really thinks they're god now don't we? B)

"He shall be my finest warrior, this generic man who was forced upon me.
    Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
    he shall be of iron will and steely sinew.
    In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
    He will be untouched by plague or disease; no sickness shall blight him.
    He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
    He is my answer to cryptic logic, he is the Defender of my Romulan Crew.
    He is Tovan Khev... and he shall know no fear."
  • shevetshevet Member Posts: 1,667 Arc User
    Well, having had some preliminary run-throughs with engy, tac and sci toons, I'm actually pretty cheerful about the whole thing. And I haven't burned any of my existing respec tokens yet, never mind buying new ones.

The main issue for me has been the separation of ground and space skills... all my toons have been maxed-out on ground skills, before, and that meant I had correspondingly fewer points to spend on space. Now space and ground are entirely separate, which - in effect - means I got a whole bunch of extra points to spend on space skills.

Also, some things have been arbitrarily set to their previous maximum - like, for example, Attack Pattern Expertise. Which I hadn't spent any points on, before the revamp. So I have gone, effectively, from 0 to 100 in that particular area without even lifting a finger. It's had a significant impact on my tac toons in space combat, that's for sure. The only problem I can see is with my Talaxian tac captain... her enemies no longer live long enough for her to harvest R&D materials off them!

I'm not having any problems replicating my performance on ground - if anything, it's gone up a notch or two - and I'm enjoying a significant boost to my space performance. I'd characterize it as: science, noticeably improved; engineering, noticeably improved; tac, MY ENEMIES GO DOWN LIKE GRASS BEFORE THE SCYTHE. On balance, I'm happy with the changes.
    8b6YIel.png?1
  • heavensrunheavensrun Member Posts: 215 Arc User
    bjornfried wrote: »
    I had it all figurerd out by now.
    Make a good build, in the good old skill system and then ad some traits to overcome evtl minor flaws.
    Now half of the good stuff is missing.
    And making a "science" charackter with a science career, is virtualy not needed.
    That is a bad thing.

Why dont you guys do polls anymore?
    You would have figurerd it out that that way is not what most players want. Do get it together guys.
    Major changes need the aproval of your majority.
    And that is not the few guys, you have in your Tribble server.

Its not about tastes here, its about seriously gameplay imparing changes.

You realy gave my day the rest.
    It was bad from the start, but you did it.
    I want to kill Catbabys. (NOOO! OFF COURSE NOT LITERALY!!! )
    Thats the kind of mood im in right now. *Meow* *Splatt*

Not what this guy wants=not what most players want.

Got it.

(writes down a note of that.)
  • starcruiser#3423 starcruiser Member Posts: 1,259 Arc User
    I guess most players want to spend money to get more tokens to re-train specs. One is not enough and the sale does not help IMO.​​
  • odinforever20000odinforever20000 Member Posts: 1,849 Arc User
    I guess most players want to spend money to get more tokens to re-train specs. One is not enough and the sale does not help IMO.​​

Tribble dude..try it out on tribble..

The_Science_Channel_Signature_Gen_2_-_Jacobs_xSmall.png

Rouge Sto Wiki Editor.

• jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,446 Arc User
    I just read and clicked on what looked good.
    As did I. The Eng captain I played with last night didn't get around to trying his new space stuff (he's on Nimbus III, and I had to hit the sack about the time I was going to go after Hassan), but he was romping through the Orion and Naausican guards outside Hassan's place. (Also, looks like they've added a couple of new dil-minibosses in that area - at least, I'd never seen the Prison Warden or the Naausican Guard Captain before. So, picked up an extra 120 dil there, which isn't a lot but it's 120 more dil than I usually get in there.)

Lots of dead (or stunned - he's Starfleet, after all, and they always put "heavy stun" settings on their weapons) guards in his wake, and I think he took some damage to his hit points once or twice, and almost lost his personal shields once...
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • tousseautousseau Member Posts: 1,484 Arc User

And to think... we had over a month to test it out on Tribble...
    tousseau wrote: »

And to think... we had over a month to test it out on Tribble...

Was it a month? I fell like it was longer..hrmm

Rouge Sto Wiki Editor.

• kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,576 Arc User

Maybe it's just that I'm not an uber power-player, but I don't think I've ever used a respec in this game except when an update forced it on me (like now).

• markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    kiralyn wrote: »
    Maybe it's just that I'm not an uber power-player, but I don't think I've ever used a respec in this game except when an update forced it on me (like now).
    Same here... and I've been around long enough to have seen the first skill system... which was.... thematic, but TRIBBLE.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • kerygankerygan Member Posts: 254 Arc User
    [quote="georikzaberisk;12900372"][quote="risian4;12899929"]I must admit, that the first few missions I've played were done rather quickly. Players in my Pugs were much more powerful it seemed.

But that may merely have to do something with the fact that the most fanatic players are more likely to get in the game ASAP, fill their skill and start queueing to get some parses. So I'll reserve judgement on its effects on power creep for now until things have normalised a bit.

[/quote]

I have to agree. But in my case I haven't noticed it when I was on Tribble but an acquaintance in game and I went to test the new Nah'kul Alert and he pointed to me something interesting. According to him it seems with the new skill build other energy type weapons not AP has seems to be doing much better. I really can't prove or disprove this since I don't like using AP. I'm more of a Tet, phaser, polaron and disruptor type of guy. He pointed out that I'm killing targets as fast as he is and even sometimes faster. I told him it must just be his build. None the less I'm contemplating to go back to tribble and test this theory that the new system has made a huge impact on damage between energy weapons and by that has closed the gap a bit more. Again this are just theories base on what he told me while he was parsing. I cannot prove or disapprove what he claimed at this moment.

[quote="samt1996;12900134"]Me and Odin are founding members of the science channel @bubblegirl2015 I assure you we know what we are talking about. In fact thanks to this revamp nearly half of all science powers are once again relevant.

This thread is another example of people hating all change even when it's good, and this is fantastic change.[/quote]

Yes and it added some. For example I love the fact that in the Engineer route I can chose just one buff that will increase my weapons without having to spend more on the tact skills for energy damage. I can use some extra points for tact the ones that I wouldn't be needing since I practically have unlocked my Science ulti (Yeah I know it may sound weird but I like the Ulti's >.<) while making Engi my secondary to go to skill.

Still not that much powerful but the changes for sci are decent enough for me.
    [/quote]

im using antiproton and that specific energy type , and yes its better with a specific build and a specific set =p
    Soo..theres a poll on another thread...as of this post
    71% like the new revamp vs 28% who dont..

http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline#/discussion/1214193/do-you-like-the-new-skill-system

Rouge Sto Wiki Editor.

• stobg2015stobg2015 Member Posts: 800 Arc User
    Meh, polls are entirely too subjective. But in my own subjective experience so far, I'm not seeing a problem. My on-the-fly build I spent less than a half-hour on seemed to perform just fine. Stuff is kabooming.

Including me, but that was my fault for getting too close to those dang Na'khul killer cones. Performance-wise, I haven't noticed any drastic problems. Still got more characters to respec and test, but so far so good.
    (The Guy Formerly And Still Known As Bluegeek)
  • semalda226semalda226 Member Posts: 1,994 Arc User
    Also a poll of 100 people does not adequately represent the whole of the player base lol.
    tumblr_mxl2nyOKII1rizambo1_500.png

• thekodanarmada#7342 thekodanarmada Member Posts: 1,631 Arc User
    semalda226 wrote: »
    Also a poll of 100 people does not adequately represent the whole of the player base lol.

It's not even 1% of the number of people in NoPPS right now.
    DInb0Vo.gif[/url][/center]
  • kavasekavase Member Posts: 771 Arc User
    I'd also like to know what that same poll would look like had there not be any power increase and had in fact, stayed only flat like they said. A lot of yes votes appear to be 'well, it made me stronger so...yay I like it!'.

Anyway, this is now the third skill revamp, prey they don't make another.
    Retired. I'm now in search for that perfect space anomaly.
This discussion has been closed.