Ship visuals: will you use them or not?

13»

Comments

• evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    Yes
    dareau wrote: »
    dareau wrote: »
    Reason for "other" vote?

Ship weapon visuals under "my" control? Heck yeah. Slapping weird colors or patterns all over my ship after I've taken time to choose the paintjobs in the tailor? Nah, not my cuppa tea...

Of course, all we get are the second option, not the first...

Think of this as the foundation for the possible implementation of weapon visual control at a later date. Now that the system is developed, the only thing left to do is work out all the weapon details, which shouldn't take very long compared to this.

I vaguely remember from my early days (post F2P) that the game "used to" include an option to customize weapons fire colors, however, it was deactivated / removed "because the ability to visually identify what your teammates / opposition is using for weapons is a critical component of PvP, the ability to "mask" your weapon type under a different color was 'bad' and therefore had to be removed"...

If this was truly the case, you'd think that the code is still lying around the engine somewhere all commented out - and just needs at most a facelift in the UI to fit...

Oh intern... :tongue:

That was actually unintentional, and purely a result of sharing code with CO. The power color selection feature from CO was accidentally turned on in STO at launch.

The potential inclusion of weapon visuals in a later update would likely match your weapons to that type exactly, including all visual effects and sounds, rather than simply changing the color
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • johnnymo1johnnymo1 Member Posts: 697 Arc User
    Maybe / Not sure yet
    I most likely will not use it since i generally turn all the visuals off, but its an idea that honestly should have been live at launch, its a staple feature of most mmo's
  • rifter1969rifter1969 Member Posts: 654 Arc User
    Yes
    Yes I will.

I think its a good idea finally. :)
  • aidy1972ukaidy1972uk Member Posts: 118 Arc User
    Yes
    Deffo yes and I REALLY hope it'll eventually move to weapons as well... If not all, I'd like to see similar option for torpedoes, the neurotic ( :smirk: ) torps effects for example put me off using them (the purple flashy rubbish on impact) even if it's just a default appearance for the torp type - as in neurotic would be quantum visuals, I'd be a happy bunny :smile:

P.S. I know it isn't called Neurotic but it's just SOOO close!
  • countvampulacountvampula Member Posts: 56 Arc User
    Yes
    voted yes. i've missed the Jem'Hadar purple.
  • keletteskelettes Member Posts: 488 Arc User
    edited March 2016
    Maybe / Not sure yet
    I'm running a ship with the Aegis set, sooo... visuals, already check ^^

But if I find ship visuals that I classify as a "MUST-HAVE *drool*" :smiley: then sure, I'd give it a shot!

Better yet, people don't even have to bother upgrading their "visual gear". They can be left on the level / quality they are on when people acquire them.

Also, as far as space shields/deflectors/engines go, this feature saves people some inventory slots! :smiley:
    "Ad astra audacter eamus in alis fidelium."
    -
    "To boldly go to the stars on the wings of the faithful."
  • khazlolkhazlol Member Posts: 167 Arc User
    Maybe / Not sure yet
    Ehh i guess weapons are not included so meh. i might play with it on a rainy day :P
  • sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    Yes
    yes, sure. but I would like to have the ability to use the kdf visuals (KHG) with my fed toons; the khg visual is one of the best.
  • mooncrystalpowermooncrystalpower Member Posts: 126 Arc User
    edited March 2016
    Yes
    Absolutely! Custom visuals would be amazing for my Voth Cruiser or Astika! Like the Dyson Shield or Unimatrix Delta shield visual for the Voth Cruiser, but you're packin' an Elite fleet or Iconian shield instead! More customization is ALWAYS good! ~-~\º(^v^)º/~-~
    l6aD2g7.gif
    I am the one, the ORIGINAL/Official Sailor Moon of STO! ~-~º(^v~)ºv~-~
  • mooncrystalpowermooncrystalpower Member Posts: 126 Arc User
    Yes
    Tsk, if ya want accuracy, Cryptic/PWE have GOT to give us a wider (read, lower) range of registry numbers ~-~º(-v -')º~-~ As someone once said, Space Barbie is the TRUE Endgame :P
    l6aD2g7.gif
    I am the one, the ORIGINAL/Official Sailor Moon of STO! ~-~º(^v~)ºv~-~
  • cyphexthekingcyphextheking Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    Yes
    Yes yes yes. And i really love it.

One of my favorite effects are them from the borg set.
    For RP, my main-toon is an ex-borg and have knowledge about their technology.
    Further i really love the tech-style and the green things with them. So i now using on most of my ships the borg-set in the visuals..

But, something is still missing: Weapon-color-style...

For that, i just can repeat myself from an other thread here:

I also wish a "weapon-energy-color-slot" in the visuals.
    For example:
    My Fleet Avenger flys antiproton, so its dark red lighting, but i using borg stuff in visuals.
    Now, the nakuhl weapons have a nice dark-green color, and i would love to use a nakuhl weapon to put in a visual-slot that overwrites the red AP color.

On My Tholian Tarantula, i allready fly with disruptors, but it contains a coalition one, and the terran taskforce beam. all together looks bit like "rainbow". In the visuals i also added the borg-stuff, because i really like its effects and colors.
    Here the same; i would love to add a nakuhl beam to overwrite the weapon colors..

I remember in past, there was a chatcommand, "/powerhue" or so. But this was removed, sadly :(

I really wish, that there will be added a weapon-style slot too :)

2ntadi4o8mmx.png
  • risian4risian4 Member Posts: 3,711 Arc User
    Yes
    :'(

Now one of my threads may get closed. Grr. :p

And to add an useful note to an otherwise pointless post: you shouldn't post in threads that are over a month old.
  • nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    Maybe / Not sure yet
    I honestly don't see a problem with taking this moment to look back and reflect on a feature we've had a chance to actually tinker with now.

Having just finished scooping up the orb of Possibilities on a bunch of my captains, I also got the Jem'Hadar shield out of the effort and I'm very much looking forward to having the option to use that skin on more ships - its a hull material that's really grown on me after using it on my Main/Tal Shiar Adapted Destroyer for a while. Its got a nice plating pattern, its light but not white, and the amethyst highlights are actually nicely subdued compared to some of the more garish options out there.
  • risian4risian4 Member Posts: 3,711 Arc User
    Yes
    Yeah when they had just released this, I thought that I would mostly be using the MACO shields for my Vesta.

I must say that the Undine shields also looks very nice, both on the Xindi Aquatic carrier and the Regent.
  • daviesdaviesdaviesdavies Member Posts: 277 Arc User
    No
    I dont use them for visual effect at all.
    I use them merely as extra storages for my old Borg XI, XII
    and other random junks I have gathered in all these years of STO

This particular feature offers enhancement in visual quality ingame
    as much as putting make-ups on a potato
    it may be funny as hell
    but if you have ever see one mrs Potatohead
    you have pretty much seen all the potatoheads

( * I could have just said... "it only provides us with a fairly limited options" but the server is down LOL )
    Mzd8i1c.gif
  • taylor1701dtaylor1701d Member Posts: 3,099 Arc User
    Yes
    Necro see Necro do.
    [img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
  • nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    Maybe / Not sure yet
    Because God forbid anyone have an attention span longer that an epileptic goldfish.

I'll also say having the option has definitely encouraged me to play a wider variety of content so I can grab some of the visual items and test them out on various hulls. I just wouldn't have bothered in the past, knowing how badly I'd have to handicap myself to get those looks.

It's also a real pleasure to see the Iconian set NOT scrawled all over every ship near Earth Space Dock like some kind of bad graffiti-bomb went off.
  • thekodanarmada#7342 thekodanarmada Member Posts: 1,631 Arc User
    Yes
    Best reason for using ship visuals:
    fRhmZXV.gif
    care of alethkiraen
    DInb0Vo.gif[/url][/center]
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    Yes
    star_trek_redshirt__6____the_walking_dead_by_gazomg-d7zmqwx.jpg
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • yuki109yuki109 Member Posts: 92 Arc User
    No
    angrytarg wrote: »
    Maybe, probably, I don't know. This is an odd poll question.

Right now I default to "disable visuals" as I enjoy the ships in their vanilla/canon appearance best. Only thing I modify, if possible, is to go for the type-6 black and white look as I really like that. My Nebula can't do that as no type-6 skins for her are available, so I maybe try the dyson visuals but that's about it.

However, that might change at some point in the future. Who knows.​​

same thing i do, i use the White skin with black Andromeda patterns i just wish i could get it for my nova