test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Consistent but random BSODing, Windows 7 64bit

jros83jros83 Member Posts: 136 Arc User
For three days now, STO has been causing my computer to forcibly reset, as if I hit the reset button.

There's no rhyme or reason. It happens standing still in ESD. It happens during space combat. It happens during ground combat. It happens screens open. It happens with nothing open. It happens moving. It happens standing still.

My CPU does not overheat.
My GPU does not overheat.
I have no BIOS issues.
No viruses. No malware.
There has been absolutely no changes to my hardware or software, including no updates, since before this started happening. I have been playing about a month now non stop, but this started happening 3/4 days ago.

I checked all the usual suspects. So please, I don't need random people coming in here with the laundry list of canned responses. That doesn't help.

I know my system. I built it myself. This is not something on my end.

However, the crashing has made it impossible for me to get 14 Voth transmitters by 10am Pacific May 24. I didn't have a toon high enough level until well after the event started. But I was going to be able to get the 14th with a couple hours to spare. Now I can not.

I need an answer, an OFFICIAL answer.

I also deserve to have 1 Voth Transmitter credited for Breach, but I know THAT won't happen...

If you feel the need to flame me because you think I'm being overly angry, then just walk away please. Comments that do nothing but make personal jabs are useless and empty comments and they are not going to change me, so don't waste both of our times. Thank you.

As an aside;

Is it possible STO can be used by a savvy punk who to mess with your system if they got your IP? How well is the client protected from this?

Comments

• daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited March 2016
    jros83 wrote: »
    For three days now, STO has been causing my computer to forcibly reset, as if I hit the reset button.
    There's no rhyme or reason. It happens standing still in ESD. It happens during space combat. It happens during ground combat. It happens screens open. It happens with nothing open. It happens moving. It happens standing still.

I have no BIOS issues.
    No viruses. No malware.
    There has been absolutely no changes to my hardware or software, including no updates, since before this started happening. I have been playing about a month now non stop, but this started happening 3/4 days ago.

I checked all the usual suspects. So please, I don't need random people coming in here with the laundry list of canned responses. That doesn't help.

However, the crashing has made it impossible for me to get 14 Voth transmitters by 10am Pacific May 24. I didn't have a toon high enough level until well after the event started. But I was going to be able to get the 14th with a couple hours to spare. Now I can not.

I also deserve to have 1 Voth Transmitter credited for Breach, but I know THAT won't happen...

If you feel the need to flame me because you think I'm being overly angry, then just walk away please. Comments that do nothing but make personal jabs are useless and empty comments and they are not going to change me, so don't waste both of our times. Thank you.

As an aside;

Is it possible STO can be used by a savvy punk who to mess with your system if they got your IP? How well is the client protected from this?

Why would anybody offer you any kind of help when the last time you reached out, you ripped the heads off those who tried?
    (and your post here very much boarders on being hostile as well)

Since You are so sure that it's something at Cryptic's end, how in the devil do you think anybody here has the answer you seek.
    (also, the Dev's and Mod's don't give out "Official" answers to individual game problems in the forums)

If you're just looking for reinforcement of your current contempt for the game, I'm afraid you're going to be somewhat disappointed as those kind of threads don't stay open very long.

To be perfectly honest, it sounds as if either the STO software in general or the 'livedata' file on your computer has become corrupted.
    It also might be that the windows video driver is clashing with your video card driver (if you have one)

But since your so computer savvy..., you've probably already tried the usual suggestions to correct those types of problems.

So anything I might suggest would probably just tick you off.

smh

BTW: your date listed should be March not May, but since you're so on top of everything, I'm sure you have noticed that already.
    Post edited by daveyny on
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • jros83jros83 Member Posts: 136 Arc User
    edited March 2016
    daveyny wrote: »
    jros83 wrote: »

I have no BIOS issues.
    No viruses. No malware.

As an aside;

Why would anybody offer you any kind of help when the last time you reached out, you ripped the heads off those who tried?
    (and your post here very much boarders on being hostile as well)

Since You are so sure that it's something at Cryptic's end, how in the devil do you think anybody here has the answer you seek.
    (also, the Dev's and Mod's don't give out "Official" answers to individual game problems in the forums)

If you're just looking for reinforcement of your current contempt for the game, I'm afraid you're going to be somewhat disappointed as those kind of threads don't stay open very long.

To be perfectly honest, it sounds as if either the STO software in general or the 'livedata' file on your computer has become corrupted.
    It also might be that the windows video driver is clashing with your video card driver (if you have one)

But since your so computer savvy..., you've probably already tried the usual suggestions to correct those types of problems.

So anything I might suggest would probably just tick you off.

smh

BTW: your date listed should be March not May, but since you're so on top of everything, I'm sure you have noticed that already.

Posts like this are not necessary. You wasted your time and mine. You did absolutely nothing. You did not prove a point; you did not impress anyone; the most you did is satisfy your ego.

And oh no, I typed May instead of March, CLEARLY that undoes my entire issue and renders me a total idiot, you are so right.

You're the kind of person forums do not need. You did absolutely nothing. I am sick to death of useless comments from people like you, and people who default to "check this check that" bullcrap. So yes, I am snapping. Because people like you are completely useless and only irritate me.

I have no "contempt for the game." See this is the problem with people like you; you assume someone who is upset is just going to attack the game, and you feel the need to defend it. WRONG pal. My "contempt" is for people who are useless and for an issue I should not be having. If I had contempt "for the game," I wouldn't be here at all. I wouldn't care that I couldn't play it because I wouldn't WANT to play it, you bombastic, self righteous, entitled under-25 fool. Now please go away if you have nothing but more useless TRIBBLE to say.

Anyone who actually uses "smh" outs themself as a post-millennial born on the internet fool with no interpersonal skills, by the way. Might want to stop using it. You can convey the feeling that you are "shaking your head" without having to either type it out or abbreviate it.
    edited March 2016
    Dude... I rest my case.

BTW: I'm 57, so your "I Stayed at the Holiday Inn Last Night" assumptions about me are waaay off base and are more than likely a reflection of your own personality.
    I've seen your type come and go around here for six years now.
    (and even longer since I've been connected to the internet since the mid '90's)

Good luck finding any help with that attitude.

Oh and... S. M. H. ...just because it seems to annoy you so...

Have a lovely day.

MV5BMTgxMzc2OTQwOV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwODQ2OTgwNjE@._V1_.jpg

(yes, I enjoy immensely, acting like a six year old when it comes to dealing with folks of your ilk)
    Post edited by daveyny on
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
  • jros83jros83 Member Posts: 136 Arc User
    edited March 2016
    daveyny wrote: »
    Dude... I rest my case.

BTW: I'm 57, so your "I Stayed at the Holiday Inn Last Night" assumptions about me are waaay off base and are more than likely a reflection of your own personality.
    I've seen your type come and go around here for six years now.
    (and even longer since I've been connected to the internet since the mid '90's)

Good luck finding any help with that attitude.

Oh and... S. M. H. ...just because it seems to annoy you so...

Have a lovely day.

MV5BMTgxMzc2OTQwOV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwODQ2OTgwNjE@._V1_.jpg

(yes, I enjoy immensely, acting like a six year old when it comes to dealing with folks of your ilk)

Good Lord you are such a liar.

Let me tell you what I tell all the premillenials who think lying about their age lends them credibility; you need to stop doing that because it makes you look TERRIBLE. There's only two options for you:

1. The most plausible is you are lying, period.

2. In the offchance you are not lying about your age, then you are a very stunted adult. You do NOT want to be the age you claim to be and yet act the way you act. It's better that you own the fact that you're young and petulant, than to want people to believe you're "57" who acts like he's 16.

There's zero reason to continue this, but you will anyway....
    ROTFLMAO...

October 22nd 1958...
    You want a copy of my Birth Certificate?
    Dang, I thought only Obama had to prove this stuff.

And yes, I'm the first to admit that I'm a 15 year old in a middle aged body.

Deal...