snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited March 2016
    whisperor wrote: »
    Hmmm....
    380.gif
    I'll have to think about this one.
    ....Kirk was an engineer....
    :/:/
    WHAAAT? wasn't he more of a Tatical person, careerwise?
    Source Please.

I can't remember a specific instance when Kirk's career was mentioned in dialog, but apart from his gold jersey, there are many instances where he exhibited outstanding engineering acuity. Near the end of "Star Seed" (the original Khan episode) for example, Kirk knows exactly how to shut down a warp core overload as soon as he vanquishes Khan in Engineering. Kirk is renowned for having mastery over his ship! :D

Just to clarify, in the original series, gold was the color of command. Red was the color of security and engineering/operations. Scotty was a redshirt. Kirk, Chekov, Sulu all wore gold.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    breadandcircusesbreadandcircuses Member Posts: 2,355 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    pottsey5g wrote: »
    dakaan750 wrote: »
    Threatening Stance On: Reduce your Bridge Officer Recharge times by 1% when healed.

This sounds ridiculous, what use will 3, 4% at max have?
    It is, completely worthless after testing.

So it doesn't trigger "when healed" so much as when affected by a healing boff ability? Is it restricted as to what is healed (Shields vs Hull)? I was thinking it might be useful with say the Iconian Rep ability, the Valdore console, Repair Platforms, Improved Tachyon Beam, Elite Fleet Phasers, etc...

[EDIT] Never mind, just checked the ability on Tribble... Once every 20 sec, Bridge Officer and Captain Hull Heals reduce Bridge Officer Recharge time by 15%/30%. That answers that. Overall it's okay, but Attrition Warfare is unpredictable enough that it doesn't qualify as Strategy so much as luck to get a real benefit out of the ability.
    Ym9x9Ji.png
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    I do not like Geko ether.
    iconians wrote: »
    With each passing day I wonder if I stepped into an alternate reality. The Cubs win the world series. Donald Trump is President. Britain leaves the EU. STO gets a dedicated PvP season. Engineers are "out of control" in STO.​​
  • Options
    neromoura#1969 neromoura Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    "Strategy" would be the type of ship(s) deployed in battle, and their loadouts; this specialization should more appropriately be named "Tactician", since how assets are used during a battle are affected by these attributes.

As an example: in the TOS episode where Enterprise has to meet a new Romulan threat along the neutral zone, Kirk has to consider the strategic implications of an unanswered attack on Federation outposts. When he decides to counter the treat directly, his tactical situation turns into a game of cat-and-mouse, where each captain uses all their experience & training to outwit the other.

Exactly. Tactics begin when strategy ends, with direct contact with the enemy. There's a lot of tactical things in the game that are labeled 'strategy this or that'. Not many people know the difference, unfortunately.