test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Random But Frequent Problems...

Ok, brand new tanked out HP ENVY fully loaded. Past week, ZERO problems running and playing STO. CPUID shows nothing out of the ordinary. Game play has been EXTREMELY laggy, I am randomly getting disconnected from the Holodeck (moreso than on any other given day); basically the game is unplayable at this point. IS there ANYONE out there experiencing similar issues??

Comments

• nyx219nyx219 Member Posts: 207 Arc User
    The only problem I've been having is the game window completely freezes up when changing maps, and characters. Both are random, and it only started with the last patch.
  • ninzombie14ninzombie14 Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    At this point I have checked everything, even called my internet provider to make sure everything was fine. Every other game I have works perfect. For some reason - since this last patch, it has been a lag nightmare....and I have no way to get around it...
  • freakiumfreakium Member Posts: 439 Arc User
    edited March 2016
    I have been getting extreme lag since the last patch. Even in non-CPU intensive areas like the bridge. I'll be getting smooth gameplay for about 10 seconds followed by single digit FPS stutters.
    Post edited by freakium on
    m12Pkoj.png
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    I've had a few instances of lag over the last week, but nothing game breaking.
    It's probably Cogent hiccupping again.
    B)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • castlestarcastlestar Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    The server keep kicking me out every minute I get in the game, what up with that
  • spiritwalker1969spiritwalker1969 Member Posts: 406 Arc User
    Couple of points for you to consider - with regard to your ISP and the server ISP, there are probably several other ISP's infrastructures on the route between the two and unlikely that your ISP can advise of any issues which may be affecting things, so bear in mind it can still be a network issue.

It is easier to help if you can provide some basic info - OS version (e.g. windows 10 64 bit etc), Graphics card type and graphics RAM, Installed RAM, Network card type (open control panel --> device manager and expand the network card entry --> is it a Realtek card?)

Some starters for you - if OS is win 10, open task manager --> open services tab ---> bottom of the screen there is a blue link to open services manager ---> once open find Superfetch in the listed services ---> right click and select properties ---> midway down the window that opens is a drop down menu labelled startup type --> change this to manual --->reboot. There is a known issue with windows 10 where the superfetch service preloads random apps into memory and this can slow things up drastically.

Secondly, open task manager on win 10 (or open start/windows menu and type msconfig for other win versions) navigate to the start-up tab. This lists everything that starts with windows and runs constantly, approx 75% of these are not required all the time and can trigger application updates at random (usually when you are doing something else requiring internet access). Look for items such as adobe, mozilla, nero, google, chrome, raptr, steam, sticky notes - these can all be disabled (they will now only run when you start the related application).

Both of these will free up RAM and improve running times.

Next - do some basic housekeeping, the built-in diskcleaner in windows is pants, so get CCleaner or similar, before running look for and check DNS cache and prefetch options. Clean your registry (again CCleaner can do this - don't backup the files when requested and use the all issues option). Next defrag (even a newly installed system is badly fragmented) - windows is rubbish at disk optimisation and it is better to get a 3rd party defrag. Try to get one which allows boot-time defrag and can defrag the master file tables (diskeeper is good if you can get it but several free defrags have these options too) - run the defrag several times and also set a boot-time defrag to run at next start-up (this allows system files and other files which are normally ignored to be defragged). Apologies if this seems obvious or basic but often people are unaware how much fragmentation occurs in a short time.

Finally - try physically unplugging any modems and routers from the power for 10 minutes (go have a well earned coffee/beer whilst you wait :smile: ) - this will clear the router/modem cache and should speed up your connection slightly, again this is something that builds up over time and is often neglected.

If you are still having problems post the basic system info detailed above in a new thread (try to do individual threads as it can get messy with 3 or 4 different issues being discussed at once) and I will try to make some specific suggestions for you.