test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Cryptic, Please Explain THIS!

The following image should be self-explanatory:

http://i.imgur.com/WAzibLz.jpg

In case it isn't, the image shows the STO game client running on my Windows 10 PC alongside a Command Prompt. Within the Command Prompt, a continuous "PING" command is running against the Cryptic patch server at 208.95.185.41. The round trip time is a constant 285-290ms, which is typical for this part of the world (Mauritius) and makes for a perfectly playable STO.

But now look at the "netgraph /1" data within the game client. The "internal" PING value in the lower left is pegged above 2000. The "graph" in the lower right is a SOLID BLOCK OF GREEN!

Note: This happens daily. It begins at roughly 2-3PM GMT and extends well into the next morning.

During daytime hours (before 2PM GMT), STO is perfectly playable. I can run PvE missions, do some PvP in Ker'rat and the queues, etc. And throug it all, that Command Prompt ping remains unchanged - consistent, rock-steady round-trip of under 290ms with almost zero dropped packets.

So...what the hell is going on, Cryptic? STO has been like this for me for weeks! Why does the game work great for part of the day and then become unplayable just as the U.S. player base begins to wake up? Are you deliberately throttling us overseas players just to appease your subscriber base in the States?

I'm not the only one experiencing this issue. Many of my European and South American fleet mates are seeing the same thing. This issue needs to be looked into before you lose even more dedicated players.

RCK

Comments

• Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    People there using VPNs for American Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc. and saturating the cables?
  • Options
    rck01rck01 Member Posts: 808 Arc User
    People there using VPNs for American Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc. and saturating the cables?

But that should show up in general network diagnostics. I'm saying that nothing else changes - no increase in the PING round trip, no dropped packets, and no obvious issues when executing "nettest", "pathping", etc. In fact, I reported those results in an earlier thread that went unanswered:

http://goo.gl/I9mwLR

No, this has to be a capacity/prioritization issue on the back-end.

RCK
  • Options
    askrayaskray Member Posts: 3,329 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    Moved to the proper forum
    Yes, I'm that Askray@Batbayer in game. Yes, I still play. No, I don't care.
    Former Community Moderator, Former SSR DJ, Now Full time father to two kids, Husband, Retail Worker.
    Tiktok: @Askray Facebook: Askray113

• Options
    equinox976equinox976 Member Posts: 2,277 Arc User
    If I lived in Mauritius I don't think I would moan about anything, especially not this :D
  • Options
    rck01rck01 Member Posts: 808 Arc User
    edited March 2016
    [inflamatory comment modded]