test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

What novels are respected in STOcanon?

Does anyone have a list or can think of elements from the Star Trek novels that are mentioned or followed within STO?

I have observed (thank God) a few references to the chain of Romulan non-canon started by Diane Duane's works as well as an acknowledgement of Peter David's Captain Calhoun. Since it has always been my opinion that even meh ST novels are comparable to ST canon quality-wise, I am wondering what other examples exist in game?

This question was inspired by the minor Alpha powers thread. I wish STO had followed the lead of the integrated novels they've written in recent years; the Typhon Pact would have been more fun than the BS Klingon-Fed war and subsequent Iconian and Temporal shenanigans. :/

Comments

• Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,034 Community Moderator
    Well... the Vesta and Luna classes came from books, but were accepted as Canon ships so... I guess in a way the books they came from qualify in some way. And yea... Captain Calhoun is on K-7.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    alexraptorralexraptorr Member Posts: 1,192 Arc User
    I'd say "none".
    Yes STO has borrowed elements and characters from some of the novels, but the plots and stories of those books don't have any bearing on STO.
    For Instance, we have the Vesta from the Destiny series, but we still have the original DS9 which the book continuity does not.
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid." - Q
  • Options
    There is also the V'Ger/Borg connection from The Return, with the Borg Commands Ships and the big torpedo that vaporizes things in game, yet we don't have Kirk running around in 2410.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    eldarion79eldarion79 Member Posts: 1,679 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    USS Quirinal and the USS Esquiline are from the Voyager relaunch books. The Vault station, the Olympic ships, General Worf and his fleet, and the Nerada's Borg connection are from the Star Trek Countdown comic. Calhoun from the New Frontier series, Titan and the Luna design from the Star Trek Titan series, the Vesta class from the Star Trek Destiny series, the USS Berkeley and the USS Geronimo are from Star Trek Bridge commander, and the USS Freeman Dyson is from Decipher RPG books. Non-Trek sources with the Starship commanders with the prominent white shoulders (to indicate a FTL command), USS Hotspur and the USS Nike are nods to the Honor Harrington Universe along with the entire Bug Hunt mission is laced with Starship Trooper references.
  • Options
    eldarion79 wrote: »
    the Olympic ships...

Are actually from the series finale of TNG.

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/USS_Pasteur
    She's identified as an Olympic class.
  • Options
    sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    Afaik, none of the books or STO are considered canon, even if they show the CBS/Paramount logo.

What is considered canon, is anything produced by CBS or Paramount and is on television or the movies.
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• Options
    alexraptorralexraptorr Member Posts: 1,192 Arc User
    I'd argue though that the Countdown Comics and the 2013 Star Trek game are exceptions to the rule and are actually part of hard canon for the JJ verse. Especially since they were made intentionally as movie tie-ins and the events in them are directly referenced to on a few occasions in the movies.
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid." - Q
  • Options
    sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    I'd argue though that the Countdown Comics and the 2013 Star Trek game are exceptions to the rule and are actually part of hard canon for the JJ verse. Especially since they were made intentionally as movie tie-ins and the events in them are directly referenced to on a few occasions in the movies.

On that case I would agree with you.

I think that Star Trek game fills in the gap between the two JJ movies, so yeah, that can be considered canon.
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• Options
    vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,857 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    sunfrancks wrote: »
    Afaik, none of the books or STO are considered canon, even if they show the CBS/Paramount logo.

What is considered canon, is anything produced by CBS or Paramount and is on television or the movies.

QFT there is a document somewhere in the foundry section that describes what is Canon and what is not.

edit: It's in the Foundry EULA
    Spock.jpg

• Options
    lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,825 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    There is also the V'Ger/Borg connection from The Return, with the Borg Commands Ships and the big torpedo that vaporizes things in game, yet we don't have Kirk running around in 2410.

But is there anything that really connects them at all besides they look alike? Could all just be fan service or a joke to make players think that is the way the devs are going.

I just think that story is so ridiculous...and kinda contradictory to itself.
  • Options
    eldarion79eldarion79 Member Posts: 1,679 Arc User
    the Olympic ships...

A misunderstanding, there were three Olympic-class vessels shown in Star Trek Countdown comic, the Galen and two others. This was referenced in a STO patrol mission.
  • Options
    There was also the USS Pasteur from All Good Things...

So... yea... *shrug*
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    the Olympic ships...

It was apparently the Hope Class (according to the dedication plaque) I don't think that was ever changed to Olympic Class.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    USS Quirinal and the USS Esquiline are from the Voyager relaunch books. The Vault station, the Olympic ships, General Worf and his fleet, and the Nerada's Borg connection are from the Star Trek Countdown comic. Calhoun from the New Frontier series, Titan and the Luna design from the Star Trek Titan series, the Vesta class from the Star Trek Destiny series, the USS Berkeley and the USS Geronimo are from Star Trek Bridge commander, and the USS Freeman Dyson is from Decipher RPG books. Non-Trek sources with the Starship commanders with the prominent white shoulders (to indicate a FTL command), USS Hotspur and the USS Nike are nods to the Honor Harrington Universe along with the entire Bug Hunt mission is laced with Starship Trooper references.

Actually USS Hotspur is a nod to Horatio Hornblower. David Weber, took the name from that book series. infact he based Honor Harrington on Horatio Hornblower.

Just wanted to let ya in on that one since HMS Hotspur was the second ship Hornblower commanded as a Commander.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • Options
    artan42 wrote: »
    the Olympic ships...

It was apparently the Hope Class (according to the dedication plaque) I don't think that was ever changed to Olympic Class.​​
    An early version of the plaque had originally depicted the Pasteur as a "Hope-class".

An early version. Apparently she's been officially tagged as an Olympic.
  • Options
    the Olympic ships...

It was apparently the Hope Class (according to the dedication plaque) I don't think that was ever changed to Olympic Class.
    An early version of the plaque had originally depicted the Pasteur as a "Hope-class".

On the dedication plaque or what? Because renamed or not, an onscreen plaque trumps a behind the scenes label in terms of canon.​​
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

• Options
    http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/USS_Pasteur_dedication_plaque

The Dedication Plaque. An early version of it said Hope Class.
  • Options
    http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/USS_Pasteur_dedication_plaque

The Dedication Plaque. An early version of it said Hope Class.

Thanks.​​

#TASforSTO

• Options
    You're welcome.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    the Olympic ships...

It was apparently the Hope Class (according to the dedication plaque) I don't think that was ever changed to Olympic Class.
    On the dedication plaque or what? Because renamed or not, an onscreen plaque trumps a behind the scenes label in terms of canon.​​
    I don't think the plaque was ever shown on screen.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,857 Arc User
    the Olympic ships...

I don't think the plaque was ever shown on screen.

the plaque is shown but i dont think it could be blown up to see
    Spock.jpg