test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Why is Q wearing the judge outfit?

heavensrunheavensrun Member Posts: 215 Arc User
This has been bugging me for awhile.

Seriously, I get that it's one of the first and last things we ever saw him wear, but in the series, that is the outfit of a judge from a 22nd century facist dictatorship that preceded the Federation. He wore it in the series because he was making a point about humanity's barbarism.

By -far-, the most common outfits he wore during all of his appearances were era-appropriate starfleet uniforms. It's kinda weird that he shows up several times a year to literally play games with us while wearing the costume of a mass-murdering regime. It's like a mall Santa showing up for Christmas in SS regalia.

(Note: Yes, I know that in Voyager, they threw several members of the continuum in that outfit, this is part of why Voyager was terrible.)

Also, when are we getting John DeLancie to come in and lend his likeness and voice to the character?

Comments

• rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,008 Community Moderator
    Its not the Q John DeLancie played that we are dealing with. This is Q Jr. His son.

And we might get John DeLancie and a few other actors in for the 50th Anniversary of Star Trek. But as of now... the Q in STO is Q Jr.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    Like Father, Like Son...

B)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • tinyfistedtinyfisted Member Posts: 193 Arc User
    heavensrun wrote: »
    By -far-, the most common outfits he wore during all of his appearances were era-appropriate starfleet uniforms. It's kinda weird that he shows up several times a year to literally play games with us while wearing the costume of a mass-murdering regime. It's like a mall Santa showing up for Christmas in SS regalia.

Oh, it's worse, though. That's not even Q. It's Q's son from the Voyager series. But either Q isn't very recognizable in an ordinary starfleet uniform. The judge suit is anachronistic, but iconic.
    Also, when are we getting John DeLancie to come in and lend his likeness and voice to the character?

Unlikely. He's said in interviews he's not really interested in reprising the role or having anything to do with cons and stuff.
    86B6EC45459D17DB8AE6CD5F51C13A90CDC00A85
  • conundrumnsaconundrumnsa Member Posts: 705 Arc User
    edited January 2016

Seriously, I get that it's one of the first and last things we ever saw him wear, but in the series, that is the outfit of a judge from a 22nd century facist dictatorship that preceded the Federation. He wore it in the series because he was making a point about humanity's barbarism.

(Note: Yes, I know that in Voyager, they threw several members of the continuum in that outfit, this is part of why Voyager was terrible.)

I've also wondered why Q doesn't look like John DeLancie. Most of the other characters that are based on real actors look at least reasonably like them. I know this is usually because they have to pay royalties to use an actors likeness, Did John DeLancie shoot it down or want too much?

EDIT: Posted before reading entire thread. Q Jr is uber-lame.
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    Q: "I do what I want."
    XzRTofz.gif
  • yuzralyuzral Member Posts: 160 Media Corps
    The trial never ended, remember?

As for it being Q as opposed to Q, Q or Q...I suspect it's mostly likeness issues.
    Blatant self-promotion: Producer of the Delta Rising Tribble Timewarp, Foundry Frolics and more: http://www.youtube.com/user/Yuzral
  • heavensrunheavensrun Member Posts: 215 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Its not the Q John DeLancie played that we are dealing with. This is Q Jr. His son.

And we might get John DeLancie and a few other actors in for the 50th Anniversary of Star Trek. But as of now... the Q in STO is Q Jr.

Yeah, I know that was the original intent of the character, but the missions that specify that have been scrubbed from the game, and some of his flavor text gave me the impression that the writers either changed their minds or just forgot. There was a comment somewhere about Picard that seemed uncharacteristic of Q Jr to me. Could be I misread it though. Even so, the judge outfit makes no sense. It makes -less- sense for Q Jr.
    tinyfisted wrote: »

Oh, it's worse, though. That's not even Q. It's Q's son from the Voyager series. But either Q isn't very recognizable in an ordinary starfleet uniform. The judge suit is anachronistic, but iconic.

I disagree. If he's going to be floating around ghost-style and sitting on giant thrones, I'm pretty sure it'd still be pretty obvious who he was from his behavior, and honestly, the Judge suit feels like lazy production to me. Not in the sense of lack of effort, (I recognize that making that was probably harder than just sticking him in a 2409 starfleet outfit would've been) but in the sense of lack of attention to detail.

Unlikely. He's said in interviews he's not really interested in reprising the role or having anything to do with cons and stuff.

Pssh. Just tell him he's playing Discord. It's the same role anyway. ;p

Or hey, if he -is- Q Jr, get the younger DeLancie on it. The devs obviously love them some obscure Voyager VAs.
  • bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited January 2016

if the game character Q wore one of an era-appropriate starfleet uniforms he would be less distinctive amongst the other regular NPC's in the game.
    by wearing the judge outfit that is more distinctive and iconic he stands out more as something unique and special.

the same reason I chose this image when I met John DeLancie and got his autograph.

izarrk.jpg

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    I disagree. If he's going to be floating around ghost-style and sitting on giant thrones, I'm pretty sure it'd still be pretty obvious who he was from his behavior, and honestly, the Judge suit feels like lazy production to me. Not in the sense of lack of effort, (I recognize that making that was probably harder than just sticking him in a 2409 starfleet outfit would've been) but in the sense of lack of attention to detail.

Or hey, if he -is- Q Jr, get the younger DeLancie on it. The devs obviously love them some obscure Voyager VAs.
    Keegan quit acting after Voyager though. I'm not sure he even lives in the US anymore.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • medalionemissarymedalionemissary Member Posts: 612 Arc User
    Simple answer I think... since they cannot get likeness of John De Lancie....what outfit can a NPC wear that would make you immediately think, "Oh, that's Q!" ? That judge outfit is iconic for his appearance.
    Deep Space Nine in HD, make it so!
    There was a comment somewhere about Picard that seemed uncharacteristic of Q Jr to me.

Its possible his father told him stories of Picard. And I think I remember seeing a line about "Aunt Kathy", referring to Janeway.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Simple answer I think... since they cannot get likeness of John De Lancie....what outfit can a NPC wear that would make you immediately think, "Oh, that's Q!" ? That judge outfit is iconic for his appearance.
    Also more than one Q has worn that outfit.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    latest?cb=20070510011102&path-prefix=en
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    Basically, they haven't locked down likeness permissions on deLancie (or his son) but they can get by with an older version of his son for the time being. Given that the likeness isn't exact, the costume helps sell the look.

They might be able to get by with an extra fancy gold leaf Starfleet uniform like Q wore a time or two but they need the costume to sell who he's supposed to be until and unless they can get the face a bit closer to John and/or Keegan deLancie.

Presumably, they could have Picard show up in an EV suit (and we've been told that kind of thing is clear for Foundry missions) but they can't show Stewart. Having an inaccurate Q in the robes is a quick shorthand for who he is without the likeness.

They might (or might not, depending on actor contracts) need to pay deLancie but they definitely need the time to get the face right regardless... and have said any face touch-ups would likely come alongside getting deLancie to sign on for voice work. If the face were more dead on, like I say, they'd probably scale back the use of the judge's robes (which I honestly think also need an art update just to give the fabric more depth and looseness).
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User

I disagree. If he's going to be floating around ghost-style and sitting on giant thrones, I'm pretty sure it'd still be pretty obvious who he was from his behavior, and honestly, the Judge suit feels like lazy production to me.
    I am not sure if you realize this, but the throne is part of the "Judge" costume, basically - The judges apparently used similar thrones in Earth's past.

Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    Remember, Q is a;ways judging us!

Never ending....
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• bernatkbernatk Member Posts: 1,089 Bug Hunter
    Because he's the judge, jury and executioner of all the things in this galaxy...
    Tck7dQ2.jpg
    Dahar Master Mary Sue                                               Fleet Admiral Bloody Mary
    edited January 2016

I disagree. If he's going to be floating around ghost-style and sitting on giant thrones, I'm pretty sure it'd still be pretty obvious who he was from his behavior, and honestly, the Judge suit feels like lazy production to me.
    I am not sure if you realize this, but the throne is part of the "Judge" costume, basically - The judges apparently used similar thrones in Earth's past.

although the chair is iconic in itself it is not part of the costume as such, just as a captains chair is not a part of his uniform or just as the queens throne is not a part of the queens robes.
    as you can see from this picture
    http://images2.fanpop.com/image/photos/10700000/Q-Judge-q-star-trek-10759391-450-600.jpg
    Q was seen wearing the robes while not being seated in the chair therefore the two things are completely separate and it is in keeping with star trek TNG the series to show him wearing this costume when not being seated in the chair.

as I said before its a no brainer to use this outfit for its iconic nature to represent this character and to make him stand out as something unique in the game.

• ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Trelane was also a Judge in the 'Squire of Gothos'. Not the same outfit by any means but these omnipotent beings sure are judgmental. :)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,309 Arc User
    To get back to the OP question: His other dresses were still at the cleaners.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
    edited January 2016
    questerius wrote: »
    To get back to the OP question: His other dresses were still at the cleaners.

Q's don't need to use cleaners, being all powerful whenever they need a new or different outfit they can just conjure one up from thin air.
    my wife thinks she does a very similar thing with the use of my credit card.

• antzudanantzudan Member Posts: 231 Arc User
    They should have him in his mariachi band costume for celebrations like the anniversary
  • twg042370twg042370 Member Posts: 2,312 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    Well He did just do his voice for a Trek browser or android game

Pretty sure it's a phone game and those make more money in a month than STO will see during it's entire life so they're not going to be able to back a dump truck full of money to his house to get him to appear.
    <3
    latest?cb=20070510011102&path-prefix=en

Yeah, as I mentioned in my original post, this is part of why Voyager was terrible. The writers (or costuming people, or director, or whoever) paid absolutely zero attention to the original Q episodes where he wore that outfit, and was just like "What do Q's wear? I dunno, put them in that fancy costume in his first appearance!"
    There was a comment somewhere about Picard that seemed uncharacteristic of Q Jr to me.

Its possible his father told him stories of Picard. And I think I remember seeing a line about "Aunt Kathy", referring to Janeway.

The line I'm thinking of was one of his little one-offs about "Picard and Janeway", and it seemed to imply first-hand experience with both. I dunno, it just seemed like it was written by someone who thought this was DeLancie's Q. I think the "Aunt Kathy" line was in the mission text of the missions that got ditched.

Keegan quit acting after Voyager though. I'm not sure he even lives in the US anymore.

That's a shame. With the amount of VO in the game now, Q stands out as conspicuously silent. It'd be nice if they could get -something- in there.
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    Without John de Lancie's likeness, Q in a Starfleet uniform would be completely unrecognizable. Just another Starfleet NPC. The judge costume makes him recognizable as Q.