What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

The New Enterprise!

13»

Comments

• Options
    hawku001xhawku001x Member Posts: 10,762 Arc User
    The best Enterprise was the one from TOS.

This is a close second tho. :p

Phase_II_Enterprise.jpg
  • Options
    khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    I am so glad they didn't go with that design
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • Options
    smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,667 Arc User
    How about this one? I heard this was what JJ REJECTED, if correct.
    ppFV2Xn.jpg

Personally, I feel the TOS was fine as it was. In fact, here's a lil thing where someone took images of the original and pasted it into various films. http://www.theverge.com/2015/3/10/8185787/star-trek-original-enterprise-new-movies#
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • Options
    The original ship would not have been fine for the movies...it's why they changed it for the movies.
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • Options
    Yet the pictures in the article I posted says otherwise.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • Options
    In your opinion...I like the TOS ship for what it was on the tv show but I would not want to see it in a big budget film...which is why they made the refit ship
    Your pain runs deep.
  • Options
    khan5000 wrote: »
    In your opinion...I like the TOS ship for what it was on the tv show but I would not want to see it in a big budget film...which is why they made the refit ship
    Well, did you even see the images the fellow made in the article?

dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,167 Community Moderator
    While it was good work, unless the TOS model was revamped to look less 1960s inspired it probably wouldn't have worked so well with a modern day audience. They'd see it as retro or something. Maybe adding NX style warp field grills to the nacelles, making the ramscoops more like the current AR Connie, add the neck torpedo launcher, and more of the gray hull color we see in TMP on might have given the classic a new lease on life.

The AR Connie, like any other ship, has a charm all its own. She has her good angles and bad angles. The one thing she has over the classic look is she doesn't look as fragile.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    rattler2 wrote: »
    While it was good work, unless the TOS model was revamped to look less 1960s inspired it probably wouldn't have worked so well with a modern day audience. They'd see it as retro or something. Maybe adding NX style warp field grills to the nacelles, making the ramscoops more like the current AR Connie, add the neck torpedo launcher, and more of the gray hull color we see in TMP on might have given the classic a new lease on life.

The AR Connie, like any other ship, has a charm all its own. She has her good angles and bad angles. The one thing she has over the classic look is she doesn't look as fragile.

I don't find the TOS Enterprise looking fragile......to me, a ship made by an advanced, society would look impossible by typical mainstream human mentality. An advanced ship would be made of extremely strong, but light looking materials, and be smooth and sleek...not clunky and bulky. Picard's and Kirk's Enterprises are like this. And especially the Enterprise-J, which I find brilliant. Like Doug Drexler on Trek Yards said, "Stop thinking with the ape brain". He even wanted to make the Enterprise J with floating nacelles, not physically attached to it, think blue tooth technology to the ultimate level.

And I agree, stop thinking with an ape brain when trying to design a vessel that's the product of an advanced, multi-species society. That's one reason I love the D9 and K'Tinga's so much as well.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • Options
    theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,993 Arc User
    ppFV2Xn.jpg

Personally, I feel the TOS was fine as it was. In fact, here's a lil thing where someone took images of the original and pasted it into various films. http://www.theverge.com/2015/3/10/8185787/star-trek-original-enterprise-new-movies#

Nice overall design, all proportions seem well scaled but the bussard collectors still look a bit on the big side
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • Options
      markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
      ppFV2Xn.jpg

Nice overall design, all proportions seem well scaled but the bussard collectors still look a bit on the big side
      That one's just too old looking. It's almost like what you'd get if a fan made a CGI model at home of the original but tweaked it to be "more awesome". Especially the pylons....I have no idea what the artist was thinking there. It's almost like they added an exposed brewery pipe to the leading edge. :p

I actually like the ship in your sig better. :p (but not as an alternate Connie)
      -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
      My character Tsin'xing
      Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    • Options
      Well, did you even see the images the fellow made in the article?

No I didn't look at the pics because I like to just argue....Yes I looked at the pics. I am a fan of TOS and the original ship would have looked out of place....which is why when they came to make a big budget film they changed a lot about the ship to make it look more like a star ship and less like a model.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gi9wFGxSDYc
      Your pain runs deep.
    • Options
      alexmakepeacealexmakepeace Member Posts: 10,633 Arc User
      Yeah, even in the photoshopped pics that guy made, the TOS Connie just doesn't look quite right. You can apply moddern lighting and FX to it, but its physical shape has an outdated, IMO slightly ungainly aesthetic and there's just no shaking that.
    • Options
      penemue#7777 penemue Member Posts: 125 Arc User
      epictaco13 wrote: »
      Hi everyone! Right away, this is my first topic, so if it seems bad, there's your reason. Now, on to the actual topic. I propose a new ship! The Constitution Class, from the 2009 Star Trek Movie/Star Trek: Into Darkness!

Personally I'd just assume they didn't - it's bad enough CBS/Cryptic apparently letting Orci blow up Romulus as this is actually somewhat diminishing the quality of intellectual assets they possess by forcing the entire Romulan time-line into a specific narrative which may not be particularly beneficial to CBS if it wants to create further Star Trek shows. Being too entrenched in a specific timeline can be bad (e.g. good, but ultimately neurotic and super-extra-geeky episodes in Enterprise to explain why TOS Klingons didn't have ridges), but getting too alienated from it can be bad as well. I have little doubt that any future productions of Star Trek by CBS they would want pretty much tied in with their established lore.

BSVME7L.png

qD8QR3H.jpg?1

"At the end of the movie, I really care about what happens to the characters … but I’m pretty much missing Gene Roddenberry in J.J.’s interpretation … and at the end of the day, that’s just not OK for me." - Levar Burton

"[OrciTrek] doesn’t have the story heart that the best of my Star Trek had," - William Shatner

"It doesn’t have that element that made … Gene Roddenberry‘s ‘Star Trek,’ what it was." - George Takei

"The Gene Roddenberry years, when stories might play with questions of science, ideals or philosophy, have been replaced by stories reduced to loud and colorful action." - Roger Ebert
    • Options
      thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
      epictaco13 wrote: »
      Hi everyone! Right away, this is my first topic, so if it seems bad, there's your reason. Now, on to the actual topic. I propose a new ship! The Constitution Class, from the 2009 Star Trek Movie/Star Trek: Into Darkness!

Personally I'd just assume they didn't - it's bad enough CBS/Cryptic apparently letting Orci blow up Romulus as this is actually somewhat diminishing the quality of intellectual assets they possess by forcing the entire Romulan time-line into a specific narrative which may not be particularly beneficial to CBS if it wants to create further Star Trek shows. Being too entrenched in a specific timeline can be bad (e.g. good, but ultimately neurotic and super-extra-geeky episodes in Enterprise to explain why TOS Klingons didn't have ridges), but getting too alienated from it can be bad as well. I have little doubt that any future productions of Star Trek by CBS they would want pretty much tied in with their established lore.

BSVME7L.png

Stop trying to derail this thread with the same discussion from your own thread that was closed. The OP is talking specifically about a SHIP, not the movie it was in.

@jodarkrider

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
    • Options
      jodarkriderjodarkrider Member Posts: 2,097 Arc User
      Yup, watching. The previous verbal slugfest in similarly 'themed' topic will not be tolerated. Annd this is the only friendly notice.
      [10:20] Your Lunge deals 4798 (2580) Physical Damage(Critical) to Tosk of Borg.

Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator
      "bIghojchugh DaneH, Dumev pagh. bIghojqangbe'chugh, DuQaHlaH pagh."
      "Learn lots. Don't judge. Laugh for no reason. Be nice. Seek happiness." ~Day[9] 
      "Your fun isn't wrong." ~LaughingTrendy

Find me on Twitterverse - @jodarkrider

• Options
      It is funny to me the amount of ire that the reboot movies generate. If anyone suggested adding somethings to this game from the least liked episodes of the series no one would bat and eye. Mention the reboot movies and people go out of their way to hate on it.
      Your pain runs deep.
    • Options
      cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
      Also, on the subject of JJ-Trek and STO, I'd like to introduce you to my crew and ship:

Jimmy, Spork, McUrban, Peggy, and Zooloo. And of course, the JJ-Prize:

http://imgur.com/a/Xn8c6

THIS. Why did the discussion deviate from this awesomeness?

Shame on all of you! :P
    • Options
      yes that is awesome
      Your pain runs deep.
    • Options
      mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
      edited January 2016
      It is funny to me the amount of ire that the reboot movies generate. If anyone suggested adding somethings to this game from the least liked episodes of the series no one would bat and eye. Mention the reboot movies and people go out of their way to hate on it.

do you want to keep this thread going or derail it by writing something like that knowing full well it will get a reaction? do i start calling on darkrider for moderation all of a sudden? keep it about the ship, yeah?

the first design looks funky and the rejected reboot version is something i am glad jj rejected because i dont like seeing things like that concept, butchering the original design would of made it look horrible.
      T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
      Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
    • Options
      My post was about the ship.
      Your pain runs deep.
    • Options
      Also, on the subject of JJ-Trek and STO, I'd like to introduce you to my crew and ship:

Jimmy, Spork, McUrban, Peggy, and Zooloo. And of course, the JJ-Prize:

http://imgur.com/a/Xn8c6

For my AR crew I just used the TOS costumes...deepened the colors and used silver for the rank insignia and badges.
      Your pain runs deep.