test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Who isn't going to see Star Trek Beyond?

Comments

• artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    @markhawkman scratch what I said about Insurrection. I've used it as an example a few times recently despite only having last seen it about three years ago and basing most of my comments about it on SF Debris review.
    I'll try watch it again, at least it's not STV.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,008 Arc User
    null
    Insurrection is back on Netflix
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • jodarkriderjodarkrider Member Posts: 2,097 Arc User
    @thegrandnagus1 - Just something I noticed; you are being rather antagonistic in your posts. Might want to cut on that.
    [10:20] Your Lunge deals 4798 (2580) Physical Damage(Critical) to Tosk of Borg.

Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator
    "bIghojchugh DaneH, Dumev pagh. bIghojqangbe'chugh, DuQaHlaH pagh."
    "Learn lots. Don't judge. Laugh for no reason. Be nice. Seek happiness." ~Day[9] 
    "Your fun isn't wrong." ~LaughingTrendy

Find me on Twitterverse - @jodarkrider

• rooster707rooster707 Member Posts: 901 Arc User
    That's completely fine. Whether you reply or not, your subjective opinion about a movie will never be more right than any other random joe.

That's your subjective opinion.

Hey look, the guy who claimed he had nothing more to say to me replied to my post, again. And he's finally catching on about opinions being subjective!

[Modded - let's not start a verbal slugfest here]

Too late.
    76561198032353876.png
  • thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    edited January 2016
    @thegrandnagus1 - Just something I noticed; you are being rather antagonistic in your posts. Might want to cut on that.

@jodarkrider Not sure if you actually read the OP, but this entire thread is antagonistic, by definition:

showing or feeling active opposition or hostility toward someone or something

So if you think being "antagonistic" is wrong, then that would apply to the entire thread. That said, if any of my posts are breaking any forum rules, please let me know which posts and which rules so I can correct my mistake.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
    It's my task as a Community Moderator to try & keep the discussion positive for everyone involved.

Granted, the OP was less-than-friendly, but by adding up to it & acting equally hostile helps nothing. The thread is on the verge being closed, but I'd like to believe that the hot-heads will calm down & keep it more mature from now on. Consider it just a friendly notice & last chance to save the thread & to keep the discussion going. :smiley:

"Learn lots. Don't judge. Laugh for no reason. Be nice. Seek happiness." ~Day[9] 

edited January 2016
    Good show! And on that note, we should all be willing to respect each others' opinions and recognize that no one's opinion about a movie is wrong. You may hate a movie or judge it by your own preffered standards, but you are no more right or wrong than someone who loves it or judges it differently.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
    valoreah wrote: »
    jonsills wrote: »
    Pen, trying to discuss modern storytelling when you proclaim The Death of Art in the 1950s and never heard of Harlan Ellison is akin to trying to discuss the state of modern music when you proclaim The Death of Music with the rise of Les Paul's demonic electric guitar and have no idea who Jimi Hendrix is. There's simply no point in this conversation.

Who is Les Paul? :P

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Les_Paul
    76561198032353876.png
  • cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
    Admittedly, the preview was a huge turn off because of the music (and I *like* RATM). It was a bad fit for Star Trek. The preview made me think JJ is throwing away the IP in favor of Star Wars.

I waited a full year after ST:ID was released before I watched it because I did. I'm just not feeling the reboot even though I think the actors are doing great with their roles. I may do the same to ST:B unless I read otherwise.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    Admittedly, the preview was a huge turn off because of the music (and I *like* RATM). It was a bad fit for Star Trek. The preview made me think JJ is throwing away the IP in favor of Star Wars.

I waited a full year after ST:ID was released before I watched it because I did. I'm just not feeling the reboot even though I think the actors are doing great with their roles. I may do the same to ST:B unless I read otherwise.

JJ didn't do Beyond. Justin Lin did.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User

JJ didn't do Beyond. Justin Lin did.

Well, that just goes to show how ignorant I am about the whole thing, and how much I care about the movie. That's embarrassing ...

Actual logical argument explaining our assertions has been provided, and has been arbitrarily dismissed with a wave of a hand and "Meh, it's all opinion," no matter what we say.

This is incorrect. No one "dismissed" your opinion. To the contrary, I said your opinion *was* valid and *wasn't* wrong. But at the same time, someone who disagrees with you isn't wrong either. The only "disrespect" is from those who think that *only* their conclusion is right, and that anyone who reaches a different conclusion is wrong.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
    As I said, there's clearly not going to be reasoned discourse, and I'm trying to leave it be. You're just dismissing all arguments as opinion regardless of any rationale presented. I call that disrespectful. Of course, that's just my opinion.
    :/

Again, nothing is being "dismissed". Your opinion and argument IS valid and ISN'T wrong. I repeat, your opinion and argument IS valid and ISN'T wrong. That is not "dismissal" or "disrespect". At the same time, someone else ALSO isn't wrong if they happen to disagree with your conclusion about a movie.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,434 Arc User
    Marik, pen insists that his opinion is "objectively" correct. We've merely been trying to point out that "objective opinion" is an oxymoron - that opinions are, by definition, subjective. (I have also attempted to point out that trying to claim your "objective opinion" is the only possible one while casually dismissing any influence that has come into play in the last sixty years is plainly nonsense, but that's just me.)

No one has dismissed your opinion. If you don't like the movies, you don't like them. Just accept that the criteria you use for disliking them are subjective, and that others can disagree with you without being fools, poltroons, or outright Enemies of All That Is Good and Right In the World, and the conversation can become much calmer.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    yeah, this is art, not science.... Art doesn't have "objective" standards.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    Did we really just have a several page discussion about what an "opinion" is?
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
    khan5000 wrote: »

Well, it was better than the original topic.

...in my opinion.
    76561198032353876.png
    rooster707 wrote: »
    khan5000 wrote: »

Well, it was better than the original topic.

...in my opinion.

well played
    Your pain runs deep.
  • galattgalatt Member Posts: 708 Arc User
    This thread is like a car crash. You know you shouldn't stare at it but you can't help yourself.

Back on subject;
    I will go see Beyond. The first two were... decent. Nothing great, but nothing absolutely horrible either. They were fun and I enjoyed them.
    sig_picture_resize_by_gx_9901-db9d1v1.png
  • penemue#7777 penemue Member Posts: 125 Arc User
    Good show! And on that note, we should all be willing to respect each others' opinions and recognize that no one's opinion about a movie is wrong. You may hate a movie or judge it by your own preffered standards, but you are no more right or wrong than someone who loves it or judges it differently.

If you think McDonalds is better than a 5 star restaurant's steak then that's your opinion - but it's not a very good one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PV3_UHG73oQ
    qD8QR3H.jpg?1

"At the end of the movie, I really care about what happens to the characters … but I’m pretty much missing Gene Roddenberry in J.J.’s interpretation … and at the end of the day, that’s just not OK for me." - Levar Burton

"[OrciTrek] doesn’t have the story heart that the best of my Star Trek had," - William Shatner

"It doesn’t have that element that made … Gene Roddenberry‘s ‘Star Trek,’ what it was." - George Takei

"The Gene Roddenberry years, when stories might play with questions of science, ideals or philosophy, have been replaced by stories reduced to loud and colorful action." - Roger Ebert

If you think McDonalds is better than a 5 star restaurant's steak then that's your opinion - but it's not a very good one.

Nope, I definitely prefer the steak! But if someone else prefers the burger, they aren't wrong.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    What they are looking for could easily be different than the objective of the person who wants the five-star steak, too.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
    Nope, I definitely prefer the steak! But if someone else prefers the burger, they aren't wrong.

Your lack of discernment is noted.

a-friend-to-all-is-a-friend-to-none-4.jpg
    qD8QR3H.jpg?1

"At the end of the movie, I really care about what happens to the characters … but I’m pretty much missing Gene Roddenberry in J.J.’s interpretation … and at the end of the day, that’s just not OK for me." - Levar Burton

"[OrciTrek] doesn’t have the story heart that the best of my Star Trek had," - William Shatner

"It doesn’t have that element that made … Gene Roddenberry‘s ‘Star Trek,’ what it was." - George Takei

"The Gene Roddenberry years, when stories might play with questions of science, ideals or philosophy, have been replaced by stories reduced to loud and colorful action." - Roger Ebert

Your lack of discernment is noted.

My discernment relates to my choice, and like I said, I prefer the steak. What someone else chooses or prefers is based on their discernment, not mine.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
    My discernment relates to my choice, and like I said, I prefer the steak. What someone else chooses or prefers is based on their discernment, not mine.

I'm sure their discernment could be no worse than yours.
    qD8QR3H.jpg?1

In case you missed it:

It's my task as a Community Moderator to try & keep the discussion positive for everyone involved.

Granted, the OP was less-than-friendly, but by adding up to it & acting equally hostile helps nothing. The thread is on the verge being closed, but I'd like to believe that the hot-heads will calm down & keep it more mature from now on. Consider it just a friendly notice & last chance to save the thread & to keep the discussion going. :smiley:

@jodarkrider already asked us to be nice of he will close the thread. Why are you still making negative personal comments?

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg

Welp, here we go again...
    76561198032353876.png
    And as promised.
    /Closed.

This discussion has been closed.