What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

STO - Best MMO of all time?

124»

Comments

• Options
    captainpugwash1captainpugwash1 Member Posts: 908 Arc User
    The game is good when it works, just a shame the servers are TRIBBLE.
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    One of the best at least.

And it definitely has the best F2P model I've seen. The biggest question of F2P is how to engage the 95% of players who never pay real money. The dilithium exchange is pure genius for that.
  • Options
    chastity1337chastity1337 Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    I think I would nominate Eve Online as the best MMO I have ever played; in terms of being smooth, polished, and relatively bug-free, Eve has no rival.

The reason I don't play Eve is simply because it's too hardcore for me
  • Options
    ussdelphin2ussdelphin2 Member Posts: 525 Arc User
    No STO is not the best MMO of all time, everyone enjoys different things. STO
    One of the sad things about humanity is that when some people like something they feel the strange need to then go on to say that what they like is better that something else that other people like. Guess what? If you like this game, great! I do too. But there is no need try to say it is the best or better than anything else. Play the game(s) you like, and don't worry about the others. Forget silly comparisons.

I'm just quoting this because I couldn't put it better myself.
    How I picture a lot of the forumites :P
  • Options
    kavasekavase Member Posts: 771 Arc User
    To suggest this being the best, or better or worse or the worst is all too subjective. If someone likes the game a lot you're never going to succeed in making them hate it or vise versa.

There are top 10s 20s 50s etc. of F2P MMO or MMORPGs etc. and the lists may have some universal similarities with certain games being listed, (see Dota & league of legends a lot as examples) but many have different games are shown all together. There is more than one way to measure what makes a good & bad game depending on a number of factors.

STO is rarely seen on these lists but I think that's primarily due to the fact it's not a very popular game.
    Retired. I'm now in search for that perfect space anomaly.
  • Options
    latiasracerlatiasracer Member Posts: 680 Arc User
    lamyrs wrote: »
    lianthelia wrote: »
    STO isn't a lot of things...but STO is the freest game I've ever played...no matter how many people will claim...STO isn't P2W...you can earn everything pretty much for free. If you aren't will to put the time and effort into it because it's easier to toss money at the screen, that isn't Cryptic's fault.

I refine around 50k dilit per day and I still have to spend 25-50$ per month in this game to get what I want. I don't see where is the free in that.

What on earth?

What activities are you doing that require roughly a million dilithium a month (Not counting the 50k you are refining daily)??

warp plasma can't melt neutronium beams
  • Options
    warpetwarpet Member Posts: 506 Arc User
    semalda226 wrote: »
    I'm still waiting for Pokémon World MMO where we make a trainer go into the pokemon world catch pokemon battle NPCs and wild pokemon do gym battles through out the regions and can battle other trainers in a 3D world where our main pokemon can run with us and have battles like in the stadium series where the pokemon and attacks are in 3D

I m waiting pokemon 3d open world rpg for long time :wink:
  • Options
    oktoberfest2dispoktoberfest2disp Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    bmcd73 wrote: »
    this one is in the top 5 if not at the very top. Just my 2 EC worth...

Good post. Played EQ, LOTR (sub 1 yr), SWTOR (sub 1 yr), got bored fast. Played WoW (sub 2004-present), it's OK. Played STO from the start, lifetime subbed after 3 mos, been playing ever since. Unlike OP I was relieved that STO went F2P to bring in new ppl (it did). I am thankful that STO is alive and active.

STO is near the top of space games of all time, not just MMO, and that list includes the greats (Star Control, Master of Orion, Wing Commander, Halo, etc.) and one of the few ever that gives you ground .AND. space (fewer still with 3D space combat). On top of that, it's an immersive environment where you can just hang around (or fly around) without having to begin a scenario.

Mirror, Mirror warns against a future where a Terran Empire ravages the galaxy led by the ISS Enterprise.
    In the 2000s, the biggest space station we build is called the ISS.
    I am concerned.
  • Options
    irm1963irm1963 Member Posts: 682 Arc User
    Don't know about "best", whatever that is considering how subjective such a declaration would be, but of the dozen or so MMOs I've tried over the last few years it's the only one I keep coming back to regularly.
  • Options
    minababeminababe Member Posts: 182 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    I don't know about best MMO of all time but STO is definitely one of the best F2P MMOs I've ever played. This is the only game that has ever had me return over and over again no matter how long the hiatus. I could be gone for months at a time and it doesn't matter. I start missing the action and before you know it, I'm back to playing as intensely as before my break.

I also think this has one of the best F2P models I've ever seen. You don't have to spend a dime to get the most out of the game. Ironically, because of that, I've been more inclined to spend money in STO than I have at other F2Ps where so much content is locked behind a paywall and taunting you with what you "could be enjoying."
    My Foundry Mission--Name: Falling Star | Mission ID: HQIH36HAW | Faction: FED
  • Options
    forcemajeureforcemajeure Member Posts: 212 Arc User
    Like Royalsovereign and others, I feel that City of Heroes/Villains was 'the best' MMO I have played. In fact I only found STO in my search for a new 'game home' when they shut CoH down.

I also purchased the life sub almost as soon as my first captain hit level 10, because I knew it was going to be worth it. After 3-ish years I *still* haven't played all the content, although alt-itis has something to do with that.

Good game, good F2P balance, lots of interesting things to do, nice mix of space and ground.

I've done MMO's since the original Everquest (which was awesome in it's day), been through WoW, EVE, many others.

I currently play Lord of the Rings Online, MechWarrior Online, World of Tanks, and The Secret World. All great games (especially TSW) - but if I had to pick just one to stick with, it would be STO.