test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Cryptic needs to work harder on Anti-Griefing

Comments

• gardatgardat Member Posts: 280 Arc User
    Ever notice how these "outrage" threads only happen on weekends while the mods are away?

Hmm... almost like they're troll threads.
    486 DX2/66Mhz, 4MB SD-RAM, 16KB L-1 cache, 120MB HDD, 3.5" FDD, 2x CD-ROM, 8-Bit Soundblaster Pro, IBM Model M PS/2 keyboard, Microsoft trackball mouse, 256KB S3 graphics chip, 14" VGA CRT monitor, MS-DOS 6.22
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,275 Arc User
    november 10th was a tuesday; not the weekend by any stretch of the imagination​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • gardatgardat Member Posts: 280 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    And it was resurrected on a weekend. Your autism is showing.

That's cool, you have good communications skills.
    486 DX2/66Mhz, 4MB SD-RAM, 16KB L-1 cache, 120MB HDD, 3.5" FDD, 2x CD-ROM, 8-Bit Soundblaster Pro, IBM Model M PS/2 keyboard, Microsoft trackball mouse, 256KB S3 graphics chip, 14" VGA CRT monitor, MS-DOS 6.22
  • jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    Back on topic

I agree that cryptic needs to have some form of game moderation , even ask for volunteers from the player base im sure they could find people within this community that would do the job of game moderation in a professional courteous manner.

Ive been in several STFs where some troll would make life miserable for everyone else by blocking key interacts and what not just to make people mad , that person needed to be kicked from the team and given the afk penalty.

But at present we cannot even do that much , game moderation is needed badly both in chat and in manners such as STFs , i would hope cryptic will start moderating this wonderfull game its really needed.

and something should be done abot the private challenges that some trolls seem to use just to troll a person.
  • asuran14asuran14 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    I would agree that would be great to have some additional moderation, and if people want some kind of compensation for moderating the game than what about giving them a stipend of zen for moderating the game such as each month (like the sub stipend of zen). I mean it would give them a way of paying them for their service without actually paying them real money. It would also be easier for a community manager/head-moderator to keep track an deal with issues that happen with a group of moderators, then the same community manager/head-moderator trying to moderate an deal with in-game issues by themselves or with a smaller group. Would of course need to have alot of feedback, reports on moderator's effectiveness (both as a group an individually), and other such methods of grading/gauging how good of a job they are doing an if they need to be replaced for questionable actions taken.

I hope that if we do not already have it in game, or it is in a restricted form, that we get a true black-list feature. I think that would help with alot of the trolling, griefing, and such as it would basically mean if the griefer/troll is black-listed by that player they can't be grouped with them. Not sure if it would be possible but making it that being on a player's black-list makes your character not display to them, maybe as a computer side visual alteration, but i am sure this might not be doable as of yet, Also make this account wise so if you get black-listed on one character it is linked to your account (no need to show or such the black-listed character's info just his @character-name that is normally listed anyway in many chats), even if you delete it or transfer the character off of it, as you chose to act that way an so now get to deal with what your own actions did. This most likely would lead to increases in stf que times, but i would take a longer que time to not have to waste my time with a troll/griefer again.
  • captaintroikacaptaintroika Member Posts: 210 Arc User
    gardat wrote: »
    Ever notice how these "outrage" threads only happen on weekends while the mods are away?

Hmm... almost like they're troll threads.

Nah, these people have been salty for literally years because we made Drozana relatively child-safe again and because we destroyed the whole pay to play cartel some of the fleets had going with fleet ships. Most of the rest are the kind of people who are absurdly oversensitive to the point of threatening lawsuits and filing dozens of tickets when a character so much as stands too close to them.
  • gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    Ive been in several STFs where some troll would make life miserable for everyone else by blocking key interacts and what not just to make people mad , that person needed to be kicked from the team and given the afk penalty.

Have you seen other methods used besides the cover shield? If it's only the various types of cover shield, then I think that could be addressed by removing collision for players from the shield. That way, you can walk right through but NPC's cannot. (Ideally it could also be made so that BOFFs can walk straight too so they quit getting stuck on mission maps, but I am not sure if that can be changed without also changing NPC's.)

If there are other methods to block interacts, though, then I'd be more inclined to look at a vote kick system.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    gulberat wrote: »

Have you seen other methods used besides the cover shield? If it's only the various types of cover shield, then I think that could be addressed by removing collision for players from the shield. That way, you can walk right through but NPC's cannot. (Ideally it could also be made so that BOFFs can walk straight too so they quit getting stuck on mission maps, but I am not sure if that can be changed without also changing NPC's.)

If there are other methods to block interacts, though, then I'd be more inclined to look at a vote kick system.

The cover shield is usually the main culprit but either way something should be done to people that do that, ive heard of other means but ive only encountered the cover shield grief.
  • deaftravis05deaftravis05 Member Posts: 4,885 Arc User
    gardat wrote: »
    And it was resurrected on a weekend. Your autism is showing.

That's cool, you have good communications skills.

excuse me for a second. That right there is an extremely stupid comment. Just because someone pointed something out doesn't mean they're autistic.
    Second, don't be like an anti-vax and assume being autistic is the worst.

Third. Cover shields really shouldn't have a collision for human players.
  • thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    REDACTED FOR TOS

I don't even know how to respond to this, or if I even should, since much of what's in your post appears to violate the code of conduct posters on here agree to abide by.

What I will say is this - the truth.

What hyperbole is, is making something out to be much worse or much bigger than it really is.

The fleet you name in your doxx link thing is a fleet dedicated to public service in sto. The fleet behind the largest channel in the game, with more than 11,500 members. A channel devoted entirely to people freely sharing with one another. The closest you can get to Gene Roddenberry's vision in a video game. A post-scarcity society.

I don't know if you were around in january for the holiday giveaway, but one of every ship in the game was given out, free gratis, in a tremendous party. It's gonna be twice as much this year!

There is a thing called a 'scale', like the scale of justice. On it the bad is weighed against the good. All the teeth gnashing over 'i don't like disco ball so you must stop liking it or ur trole' is like a feather in one side. What I described above is a lead weight.

Question: since Dental is a charitable organization dedicated to helping people, why wasn't that discussed at all in your internal document? Why was griefing listed, but no mention of charity and helping the poor players?

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • deaftravis05deaftravis05 Member Posts: 4,885 Arc User
    hey, knock it off with dental otherwise this thread will be locked.

^

I don't know why people keep trying to hijack your thread and make it a call out/personal attack thread.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm definitely not trying to attack anyone. I'm asking a serious/genuine question:
    Question: since Dental is a charitable organization dedicated to helping people, why wasn't that discussed at all in your internal document? Why was griefing listed, but no mention of charity and helping the poor players?

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • betayuyabetayuya Member Posts: 1,059 Arc User
    these things have been happening for years...

Rule of the thumb, they will go as far to the edge of what they are allowed to get away with, and push just a tad more.

On another note, I think there should be Bacon, popcorn, and chocolate given out as buffs after a certain amount of time has pasted in cases like this, like for battle buffs :D lol
    eywdK7c.jpg
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,275 Arc User
    i'm still waiting for trendy to poke and prod the dev team into adding bacon as an actual ingame food item - surprised it hasn't happened already​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • betayuyabetayuya Member Posts: 1,059 Arc User
    Computer, 10 slices of Bacon with Maple Syrup (materializes), works for me lol
    eywdK7c.jpg
  • vampeiyrevampeiyre Member Posts: 633 Arc User
    I hear you've never truly tasted bacon until you've had the original Klingon recipe. I don't know if that's true or not.
    "I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am."
    edited December 2015
    Starfleet Dental has two core principles:

1) Public Service
    2) Leadership Development

You seem confused, or either you have not actually read your own fleet's material:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3627820

Everything you just said is the exact opposite of what is said in that thread. That thread doesn't say anything about helping people, it actually promotes griefing and makes fun of people who don't like it.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    REDACTED FOR TOS

Nice try at playing the sea lawyer, but no dice. That's not posting private correspondence because you were corresponding on a public Internet forum. And in answer to something you said earlier, repetitiveasshole, It's not an ad hominem, either, because they're calling you and yours hypocritical bullies and showing with evidence why the term applies.

How did you phrase it? Ah, yes: Someone who doesn't like it when people call a troll a troll is just the same as someone who doesn't like women seeing a woman. I mean, i guess the guy wont like it because its something he doesn't like, but that's nobody's issue but his.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • gradiigradii Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    - Set a radius of contact around toons so players can not stand on top of each other (like it is in another cryptic game.)

Have you actually PLAYED Champions Online? BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU WISH FOR. All this does is allow players to push one another away from contacts and tailors while interacting.

"He shall be my finest warrior, this generic man who was forced upon me.
    Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
    he shall be of iron will and steely sinew.
    In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
    He will be untouched by plague or disease; no sickness shall blight him.
    He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
    He is my answer to cryptic logic, he is the Defender of my Romulan Crew.
    He is Tovan Khev... and he shall know no fear."
    Yep, classic Dental behavior. If you don't where the discussion of your behavior is going, try to change the subject. You're not getting away this time. How do you reconcile wishing people to have a good time and be happy with encouraging people to grief and giving specific tips on how it's done to best effect?

As you say:
    Actions speak so much louder, so much louder than words!

And indeed,
    "The good of the many outweighs the good of the few, or the one."

Your enjoyment of antagonizing other players makes you the few in this scenario.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

to be on the safe side- REDACTED

Huh? What website?

How can you possibly ask that? The link has been posted over and over:

And I'm not even bashing your fleet, I'm just confused. Why is everything you are saying the exact opposite of what that thread describes?

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
    to be on the safe side- REDACTED

Huh? What website?

How can you possibly ask that? The link has been posted over and over:

And I'm not even bashing your fleet, I'm just confused. Why is everything you are saying the exact opposite of what that thread describes?

Looks like they just edited that post to hide their tracks.
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

This discussion has been closed.