test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Scheduled AccountServer Restart and Network Update

pwlaughingtrendypwlaughingtrendy Member Posts: 2,966 Arc User
Hey folks!

So after speaking with our engineers, we're going to be doing an update tomorrow at 7AM PDT in order to perform technical restarts as well as a network update. We expect downtime should be around 1 hour while our engineers do computery things (technical terminology).

~LaughingTrendy

(I'm coming in and delaying my PTO for this cause I really want to oversee this due to technical-mumbo-jumbery)

Comments

• Options
    gradiigradii Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    Will this fix the still broken ADMIRAL LEETA spam in the Badlands Battlezone?

"He shall be my finest warrior, this generic man who was forced upon me.
    Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
    he shall be of iron will and steely sinew.
    In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
    He will be untouched by plague or disease; no sickness shall blight him.
    He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
    He is my answer to cryptic logic, he is the Defender of my Romulan Crew.
    He is Tovan Khev... and he shall know no fear."
  • Options
    psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    Any chance this could fix the problems affecting Mac users?

(I'm guessing no, but never hurts to ask...)
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • Options
    ronanobrienronanobrien Member Posts: 117 Arc User
    How about the mad lag that just started today?
  • Options
    accordvtec77accordvtec77 Member Posts: 140 Arc User
    Will this take care of the issue where a specific IP address within Cryptic's server is dropping packets?
  • Options
    bogbotbogbot Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    erm what happened to fed fleet alert - have the terrans took it back to thier mirror universe ?
    and i noticed the graphics were missing when the borg appeared pre patch - who broke it - was one pve that actually worked right before :D
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    Thanks for the heads-up Trendy.
    (even if it was full of all that Engineering Technical Mumbo-Jumbo stuffs)
    B)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    azrealdragonkingazrealdragonking Member Posts: 82 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    Any chance you can fix the invisible ship bug I have started getting today as well? Also if its not to much to ask can you put up the Mirror Universe event again I still need to finish the last one you guys did.
    OdanLexACCESSDENIED.png
  • Options
    burstdragon323burstdragon323 Member Posts: 853 Arc User
    Hey Trendy, will it be wibbly-wobbly?
  • Options
    turbomagnusturbomagnus Member Posts: 3,479 Arc User
    ...in order to perform technical restarts as well as a network update.

'Technical restarts'? What's a technical restart? For some reason, the term makes me nervous like 'losing all your files when your computer restarts for no appearant reason'-nervous... How exactly will these 'technical restarts' affect us, the players?

"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." -- Q, TNG: "Q-Who?"
    ^Words that every player should keep in mind, especially whenever there's a problem with the game...
  • Options
    zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Member Posts: 14,769 Arc User
    Fixing computery things is important. I approve.
    11th-Doctor-bowtiesarecool.jpg

f5cc65bc8f3b91f963e328314df7c48d.jpg
    Sig? What sig? I don't see any sig.
  • Options
    cyndro12cyndro12 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    I'm hoping something happens to fix the failure to start the game client, whether it be account maintenance or something
  • Options
    marcoramius2marcoramius2 Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    How about the glitchyness on The New Link mission.
  • Options
    alcyoneserenealcyoneserene Member Posts: 2,412 Arc User
    Appreciate the heads up. Have them take as much time as they need to get things patched up properly.
    Y945Yzx.jpg
    Devs: Provide the option to Turn OFF full screen flashes from enemy ship explosions
    · ♥ · ◦.¸¸. ◦'¯`·. (Ɏ) V A N U _ S O V E R E I G N T Y (Ɏ) .·´¯'◦.¸¸. ◦ · ♡ ·
    «» \▼/ T E R R A N ¦ R E P U B L I C \▼/ «»
    ﴾﴿ ₪ṩ ||| N A N I T E S Y S T E M S : B L A C K | O P S ||| ₪ṩ ﴾﴿
  • Options
    lamyrslamyrs Member Posts: 312 Arc User
    Am i the only one who understand this is not a fix but an hardware upgrade?
    Or maybe I am the only on who missunderstand...
    I am from Belgium and english isn't my main language, sorry if I make mistakes.
  • Options
    l30p4rdl30p4rd Member Posts: 334 Arc User
    Hey folks!

So after speaking with our engineers, we're going to be doing an update tomorrow at 7AM PDT in order to perform technical restarts as well as a network update. We expect downtime should be around 1 hour while our engineers do computery things (technical terminology).

~LaughingTrendy

(I'm coming in and delaying my PTO for this cause I really want to oversee this due to technical-mumbo-jumbery)

So you basically told us nothing about nothing and your overseeing something you know nothing about. And delaying time off to do the job you are paid for, am I missing something ?

Why did you even bother to post ?
  • Options
    nyxadrillnyxadrill Member Posts: 1,242 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    l30p4rd wrote: »
    Hey folks!

~LaughingTrendy

So you basically told us nothing about nothing and your overseeing something you know nothing about. And delaying time off to do the job you are paid for, am I missing something ?

Well lets see, she told us what was going on in the first 28 or so words, and then injected a little humour into the proceedings. Oh and by the way, when some one takes a day off its called Annual Leave which she's entitled to AS PART OF THE JOB SHE DOES.

So....why did you even bother to post??

Proof, if any were needed, that you cant please all of the people all of the time :/

Thanks for the heads up Trendy.
    server_hamster6.png
  • Options
    tinyfistedtinyfisted Member Posts: 193 Arc User
    lamyrs wrote: »
    Am i the only one who understand this is not a fix but an hardware upgrade?
    Or maybe I am the only on who missunderstand...

Sounds like a router needing replacing somewhere. Or possibly a kernel tweak. Something they need the players off the server for, if briefly, to keep 'em from getting mass-disconnected and freaking out on the forums.
    86B6EC45459D17DB8AE6CD5F51C13A90CDC00A85
  • Options
    lsapsinlsapsin Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    I hope this fixes the Foundry being down need to farm Energy Credits for projects!
  • Options
    djmarr1964djmarr1964 Member Posts: 232 Arc User
    i know this is just a network update but i really hope trendy can get the techno guys to go all wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey on this and fix the badlands reward bug PLS Trendy
    The True King In The North
  • Options
    szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    They are doing accountserver and network maintenance. They won't be fixing bugs today.
  • Options
    saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,395 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    szim wrote: »
    They are doing accountserver and network maintenance. They won't be fixing bugs today.

^ this.

However, MAYBE, MAYBE, this will fix (or prepare for a fix) the purchaseable, unlockable species being gone from the C-Store as they're related to the account.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • Options
    chemistrysetchemistryset Member Posts: 229 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    nyxadrill wrote: »

Some common toxic forums jabbering...

Well lets see, she told us what was going on in the first 28 or so words, and then injected a little humour into the proceedings. Oh and by the way, when some one takes a day off its called Annual Leave which she's entitled to AS PART OF THE JOB SHE DOES.

Proof, if any were needed, that you cant please all of the people all of the time :/

Thanks Nyxadrill. And thanks, Trendy, for keeping us informed.

The fact that jellyfish have survived for 650 million years despite not having brains is great news for stupid people.
  • Options
    mayito2009mayito2009 Member Posts: 643 Arc User
    Will this fix the low number of Terran drops and quality of them? We really at level 60 have not use for white XI or XII items.
    Seek and ye shall find. Ask and ye shall receive. Rabboni
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety" (Benjamin Franklin).

Most unexpectedly, this turned into a flame-fest! Closed it goes!. /sigh What flamefestery is this? pwlaughingtrendy
  • Options
    trillbuffettrillbuffet Member Posts: 861 Arc User
    I was actually sort getting back into the game yesterday before the client would crash after trying to load(not using a mac too). Only thing to stop this is if the devs could run Cryptic and PWE like a klingon ship. Defeat their overlords and take over. Its obvious after over half a decade that resources given are not adequate for what needs to be done. Heck they aren't even giving Cryptic what it needs to keep the game online.

Anyways good luck Cryptic you'll need it.
  • Options
    echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    Hey folks!

~LaughingTrendy

I happen to like Trendy humor, and at least she tries to keep us informed of what's going on and investigates when we report problems.

So she can't please everyone, but she tries really, really hard. That earns her a bacon treat.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • Options
    Actually, I mentioned far more technically speaking than I tend to. Talking about the AccountServer and calling that out as a restart is unconventional by my standards. I usually joke around about only knowing how to make blogs and take pictures, and that they don't let me around the servers. I actually am aware of a little more than that. I spent about an hour talking to and subsequently grilling one of our networking engineers (he's a nice guy).

You see, when I do post an update with technical information, it can be widely misinterpreted. The mere mention of a restart, which is by all means a rather standard industry practice, already invokes a sense of concern by some. I'm not proficient enough to afford a full technical breakdown, so I generally lean on the side of "we're doing stuff" because otherwise it can be grossly misinterpreted. A little bit of knowledge and suddenly people panic. So instead I generally prefer to keep you posted as the interpreter of progress, rather than the 1-to-1 relay. That and an occasional quip. Tis my nature.
  • Options
    tancrediivtancrediiv Member Posts: 728 Arc User
    Manamana (Universal greeting technical mojo)

is this why the launcher can't access the controller tracker again?

De-de -de -de (technical mumbo jumbo)

Player and forumite formerly known as FEELTHETHUNDER

Expatriot Might Characters in EXILE
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Hey folks!

~LaughingTrendy

Yeah, it's not like Trendy actually reboots the server herself. :p (Actually I doubt she even goes into that room,) She's the CM, not the network engineer. :p
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    zorander6zorander6 Member Posts: 130 Arc User
    Panic.gif
  • Options
    Even the word 'overseeing' gets misinterpreted as 'managing' and thus twisted into an argument proposing that I'm managing the process thereof. Really as 'overseeing' I'm monitoring it, constantly in talks with the engineers as well as other folks in the building and gathering status check-ins for my consumption. But all it takes is the twisting of the connotation of one word to grossly change the entire course of a thread and try to pick a fight with an Admin at 6AM.

Bravo, you earned your ban.