What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Design Your Ship Final Round [Alpha Vs Omega]

Comments

• mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    #TeamAlpha
    bunansa wrote: »
    I really cant wait for all the Jupiter fanboys to get their omega ship and go park it next to the Jupiter and scream I finally have the Jupiter and then sit there and go omg, it doesn't look anything like it.
    I think you're more likely to see them see "whoa, it looks exactly different from the Jupiter where it needed, but kept the ideas that were cool about it."

but what ideas? the 4 nacelles? or the carrier part?

I just really don't understand, and I already called shenanigans earlier when I was refreshing and literally saw alpha lose vote numbers, I counted 8 votes lost between 9 am and 10 am..but whatever.

Its not like this wasn't planned from the start hence the whole lol alpha vs omega in the first place.
    The shape of the saucer, for example. But nif you don't see it, you don't see it. I guess it's like those 90s 3D picture thingies.​​
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • nx89nx89 Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    #TeamAlpha
    Both look too similar to a) each other and b) the Dauntless in my honest (personal) opinion. I liked some of the variety shown in some of the other designs that sadly didn't make it to the final stage. If I HAD to pick, I'd cast my vote for Alpha as it's more aesthetically-pleasing that Omega. (Again, personal preference)
  • acg3269acg3269 Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    #TeamOmega
    mustrumridcully0: LOL
    Ultimately, the best place for FIghters is inside the hangar bay or far away from the main ship. :)

In Star Trek, Carriers don't really seem to make much sense. The Enterprise had 3 huge shuttle bays, and never entered it in a fight with someone suggesting "let's launch some more shuttles so we have more firepower". Not even against the Borg, when they decided to separate saucer and engineering sections and have both of them in the fight. Boarding Party seems to represent the only canonical legitimate use of shuttles (they were used against the Borg, too) in a fight.

Carriers in the real world work because planes have great speed, considerably firepower, but poor range and poor loitering ability compared to a ship.

But things in STO are as they are... So let's pick the best looking ship for this role.​​

Have you ever watched DS9? I don't mean to be rude, but they clearly had Fighter Attack Wings being launched against the Dominion. And I can only see 3 ship designs actively launching that many fighters during that time period: Akiras (Actually designed as carriers), Excelsiors (Have you seen the giant open hanger on the hull? As much as I love this design, talk about tactical vulnerabilities right there) and Galaxys (Their sheer size combined with having 3 hangers, the Saucer hanger having been huge. (This of course being the same class of ship as the Enterprise you just mentioned)).

That moment when you see your comment after posting it and you realize you had a ton of spelling and/or grammar mistakes...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Boldly going where no one has gone before!
  • hyperionx09hyperionx09 Member Posts: 1,709 Arc User
    #TeamOmega
    I really cant wait for all the Jupiter fanboys to get their omega ship and go park it next to the Jupiter and scream I finally have the Jupiter and then sit there and go omg, it doesn't look anything like it.

More likely: "We finally get our Jupiter, but sexier!" I mean, all she has left of the Jupiter design is the top-down wide and long saucer style, blended saucer/hull, 4 nacelles, and that's it. She went on the Jenny Craig diet and lost the bathtub bottom and pylons, and slimmed down two nacelles. She's no longer the ungainly giant, but she's not the sleekest ship like an Odyssey or Eclipse either.

Jupiter wasn't a carrier, but a regular dreadnought, so Omega technically isn't exactly a Jupiter 2.0. Personally, I see Omega as one possible successor of the old Jupiter-class, the way the Guardian is a successor of the Ambassador-class. Granted, Omega is probably not going to be a carrier dreadnought, thought that would be wonderful if it happens.

Regardless, that still leaves open the future possibility of a proper Jupiter dreadnought successor, even if it's just a rebranded Omega design with no hangars or 1 hangar and instead has a phaser barrage ability similar to the Vaadwaur Polaron Barrage. Some players just want a Fed dreadnought with more hull than nacelles and the size to match, and the closest they will get to that currently is getting a Voth Bulwark.
  • mayito2009mayito2009 Member Posts: 643 Arc User
    #TeamAlpha
    If Omega wins that is one ship which never will see my secret spaceyard. ;)
    Seek and ye shall find. Ask and ye shall receive. Rabboni
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety" (Benjamin Franklin).

Most unexpectedly, this turned into a flame-fest! Closed it goes!. /sigh What flamefestery is this? pwlaughingtrendy
  • sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,863 Arc User
    #TeamOmega
    It was difficult to choose between Alpha and Omega. But I chose Omega because I did not want another Intrepid-looking ship.
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
  • galattgalatt Member Posts: 708 Arc User
    #TeamOmega
    I vote Omega and I am NOT a Jupiter fanboy.
    The Jupiter is U G L Y. It looks likes a steam iron with nacelles stuck on it.

I'm voting for Omega because I'm voting for the possibility of customizable parts that will allow us to create the hybrid that we want.

Vote not for short term pleasure, but for long term gain.

Vote Omega
    sig_picture_resize_by_gx_9901-db9d1v1.png
  • scarlingscarling Member Posts: 708 Arc User
    #TeamOmega
    I guess it's like those 90s 3D picture thingies.​​

It's a Schooner!
  • makocallowaymakocalloway Member Posts: 455 Arc User
    #TeamAlpha
    All I'm saying is don't come crying to me when your fighters crash because they don't have a respectable con tower XD. (YES I know it's a mission pod)
    5rFUCPd.png

• maxgeniusmaxgenius Member Posts: 47 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    #TeamOmega
    But really, give the Omega the Alpha's mission module and call it a day. They really are the same ship anyway.

My heart was set on Epsilon... here's why.

Starfleet typically uses "modern-art sculpture" designs. Long neck sections and nacelle supports are more aesthetically pleasing and better shows the scale of the ship's true size. I get it. As much as I acknowledge Star Trek is science-fiction, the Defiant's compact and less vulnerable appearance just made the engineer/military science nut in me much happier. I see it's a less-traditional, less Enterprise (saucer/stardrive/nacelle) look, but I think something different is needed in this case.

c39d759d661c360ec58d1adb2035b72f1444666967.png

The Epsilon's BSG-style arrangement had smaller, tighter nacelles to shrink the overall perimeter of the ship, and the overall design even seemed practical. In my opinion any carrier would have to be a more warship-type design so projecting the image of a peaceful, diplomacy-loving organization wouldn't have been in the cards to start with.

Perhaps a kitbashing option with more skins might show up later, I'd even drop some more Zen for the option.....

My consolation is that the specs for the ship are probably the same no matter which design wins.
    Post edited by maxgenius on
  • zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Member Posts: 14,782 Arc User
    storules wrote: »
    I vote for this:

enterprise_j_1_by_enterprisedavid.jpg​​
    Daniels? Is that you?

f5cc65bc8f3b91f963e328314df7c48d.jpg
    Sig? What sig? I don't see any sig.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    #TeamAlpha
    acg3269 wrote: »
    mustrumridcully0: LOL
    Ultimately, the best place for FIghters is inside the hangar bay or far away from the main ship. :)

In Star Trek, Carriers don't really seem to make much sense. The Enterprise had 3 huge shuttle bays, and never entered it in a fight with someone suggesting "let's launch some more shuttles so we have more firepower". Not even against the Borg, when they decided to separate saucer and engineering sections and have both of them in the fight. Boarding Party seems to represent the only canonical legitimate use of shuttles (they were used against the Borg, too) in a fight.

Carriers in the real world work because planes have great speed, considerably firepower, but poor range and poor loitering ability compared to a ship.

But things in STO are as they are... So let's pick the best looking ship for this role.

Have you ever watched DS9? I don't mean to be rude, but they clearly had Fighter Attack Wings being launched against the Dominion. And I can only see 3 ship designs actively launching that many fighters during that time period: Akiras (Actually designed as carriers), Excelsiors (Have you seen the giant open hanger on the hull? As much as I love this design, talk about tactical vulnerabilities right there) and Galaxys (Their sheer size combined with having 3 hangers, the Saucer hanger having been huge. (This of course being the same class of ship as the Enterprise you just mentioned)).
    Of course I have seen Deep Space Nine. And we've never seen any of those ships actually launch a fighter. They were just part of the formation from the beginning, even way before they entered combat. That seems to pretty much defeat the point of having a carrier. That's like the US launching a carrier to go half the way around the globe and send its planes in the air.

I am not even sure anymore if we see those Peregrines outside the attempt to retake Deep Space Nine - but the Dominion War as a whole was a lot of desperation. They probably just mobilized everything that could fly at warp and carried some firepower, no matter if it would blow up if the enemy looked too closely at it or not. Just think of those ancient Mirandas that valiantly exploded next to the Defiant... At least in the battle for DS9 they were scrounging for ships and ran out of time. It doesn't mean it ever seemed like a good idea to them, just better than those courier ships sitting unused aboard a station blown out of the sky by the Dominion reinforcement fleet.

Still doesn't change that in countless of other battle scenarios we saw there were no fighters or shuttles intentionally being deployed. And again, the technology on display in Star Trek doesn't really suggest a critical role for fighters in combat with ships of the line. A fighter jet in our time has the ability to sink a battleship or blow up an enemy base, but would you trust a fighter in Star Trek to blow up a a Cruiser? Without being incredibly lucky and/or the enemy at sleep?
    That moment when you see your comment after posting it and you realize you had a ton of spelling and/or grammar mistakes...
    Awkward, but it happnes to the best ofu s. An dme.​​
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • onyxheart1onyxheart1 Member Posts: 347 Arc User
    #TeamOmega
    There can be only one - #TeamOmega

My footer says it all...

shamelessly stole your sig pic there ddesjardins ^^ go team omega :)
    KDF for Life! <3 Romulan at Heart <3 Fed cause they made me ~ :P
    signature-omega.png
  • yakodymyakodym Member Posts: 362 Arc User
    #TeamOmega
    Attack Pattern: Omega. Though it sure would be nice to get a side-dish of Alpha's mission pod, and maybe a spare nacelle arrangement for kitbashing fun. Also, #TeamOmegaEpsilonAlphaHybrid
  • gpgtxgpgtx Member Posts: 1,579 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    #TeamOmega

is there even a jupiter left in game? thought they where all replaced with the gal-x

victoriasig_zps23c45368.jpg
  • amizez06amizez06 Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    #TeamOmega
    Been waiting for this one.

cywbvHm.gif

Well unless you get killed one battle's pretty much like another.
  • alexhurlbutalexhurlbut Member Posts: 292 Arc User
    #TeamOmega
    Omega because it look more of a carrier with those deck wide hanger bay doors on her sides.
  • thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,149 Arc User
    #TeamOmega
    galatt wrote: »
    I vote Omega and I am NOT a Jupiter fanboy.
    The Jupiter is U G L Y. It looks likes a steam iron with nacelles stuck on it.

I'm voting for Omega because I'm voting for the possibility of customizable parts that will allow us to create the hybrid that we want.

Vote not for short term pleasure, but for long term gain.

Vote Omega

I bow to your superior intellect.
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • oldravenman3025oldravenman3025 Member Posts: 1,892 Arc User
    #TeamOmega
    gpgtx wrote: »

is there even a jupiter left in game? thought they where all replaced with the gal-x

There is one parked with the Omega Task Force fleet in sector space.

• aa1238aa1238 Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    #TeamAlpha

Why not?
  • onyxheart1onyxheart1 Member Posts: 347 Arc User
    #TeamOmega
    What is with all this Jupiter ship stuff?

Is that some ST ship I don't remember?

http://sto.gamepedia.com/Jupiter_Class_Dreadnought - it was an NPC dreadnought thats had been in game forever, alongside the typhoon battleship, its since been replaced by Odyssey, Gal-X, and the Command Battle Cruisers as heavy NPCs that appear in certain instances
    KDF for Life! <3 Romulan at Heart <3 Fed cause they made me ~ :P
    signature-omega.png
  • daendaedaendae Member Posts: 158 Arc User
    #TeamAlpha
    I like Omega and all, but I like Alpha's saucer better :)
    Additionally, the asymmetry between Omega's upper and lower nacelles bug me, but it isn't that bad.
    Could we get Alpha's saucer with Omega?
  • shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    Neither, they are both ugly!!!
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

• hyperionx09hyperionx09 Member Posts: 1,709 Arc User
    #TeamOmega
    All I'm saying is don't come crying to me when your fighters crash because they don't have a respectable con tower XD. (YES I know it's a mission pod)

Then don't come crying to us when your fighters crash into your ship and insta-KO it for destroying vital mission-critical systems in that tower either.

That worked out so well for a certain Imperial Super Star Destroyer and a certain A-Wing, amirite? :D
  • makocallowaymakocalloway Member Posts: 455 Arc User
    #TeamAlpha
    LOL tuche. "Intensify forward fire power!" "Too late!!"
    5rFUCPd.png

• danpmkdanpmk Member Posts: 44 Arc User
    #TeamAlpha
    A touch choice but still gonna go Alpha on this one. Even if Omega wins, I'd love if Alpha's sensor pod were a costume option.
    It is corporeal.
  • mosul33mosul33 Member Posts: 836 Arc User
    #TeamOmega
    #TeamOmega of course. Like Alpha too, especially that pod from the top. But Omega wins out with those large sideway launch bays.
  • trillbuffettrillbuffet Member Posts: 861 Arc User
    They need a kdf design contest where we can design a bop that launches other bops and those bops also launch bops.
  • azniadeetazniadeet Member Posts: 1,871 Arc User
    #TeamAlpha
    The Omega saucer is not attractive.

Alpha is the only remaining choice.
  • farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    #TeamOmega
    Go Omega Go!
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.