Install Arc
Options

Design Your Ship Final Round [Alpha Vs Omega]

Comments

• Options
    love4spacelove4space Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    #TeamOmega
    love4space wrote: »
    Team Omega look real good B). The Ship look a whole lot better then the first showing this desgin is whole lot smoother an refine just need to work on those bulkly nacelle design thank guys. Now i can not wait to see the inside the engeeiring space an the brigde already know the sleeping quarter are going to small and i would to see what you guys have in store for 10 forward do tell us just surprise us. I do hope it much better then what we have now. :D

• Options
    tuskin67tuskin67 Member Posts: 1,097 Arc User
    #TeamAlpha
    I want Alpha with the nacelles of Omega
  • Options
    tuskin67tuskin67 Member Posts: 1,097 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    #TeamAlpha
    bunansa wrote: »
    rigged voting is not appreciated.
    It's not rigged..
    well all I know is something happened with the counter, we lost 2 votes earlier and another one a few minutes ago, I should have taken a photo with my phone, the percentages aren't equaling properly either. If its not rigged then its something else...

but I give up anyway...Omega design was going to win regardless, I didn't need a carrier anyway.

Might have been lag.
  • Options
    messahlamessahla Member Posts: 1,160 Arc User
    #TeamOmega
    Omega its just says carrier and the feds really need a better carrier then the litterbox er atrox
  • Options
    coruunascoruunas Member Posts: 127 Arc User
    #TeamAlpha
    Alpha...looks less ugly than omega.
  • Options
    messahlamessahla Member Posts: 1,160 Arc User
    #TeamOmega
    to bad they just dont build both i mean why not i think the players would be happy with both no?
  • Options
    chiyoumikuchiyoumiku Member Posts: 1,028 Arc User
    #TeamAlpha
    This was rigged in Omega's favor from the very beginning, shocker.
    Sekhmet_Banner.jpg
    Defending The Galaxy By Breaking One Starfleet Regulation After The Next.
  • Options
    kirimuffinkirimuffin Member Posts: 692 Arc User
    #TeamOmega
    Both of these are great-looking ships, and I'd be proud to fly either of them.

In the end, Omega wins for me because I love the huge hangar bays on the sides. But really, they're both great.
  • Options
    christopher757christopher757 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    #TeamOmega
    #TEAMOMEGA

signature-omega_zpsdon9yaix.png
  • Options
    talzinartalzinar Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    #TeamOmega since it is not a round saucer. But all of the models put forth could be variants of one or the other.
    Say what?!?!
  • Options
    wakeoflovewakeoflove Member Posts: 103 Arc User
    #TeamOmega
    Alright, I surprised myself and voted omega. I was pretty sure I would vote alpha because it looks more like it follows the form of already established federation design more than omega. However, that also means it generally looks like one could have taken any other federation ship and just slapped some big bays in it to make it a carrier.

Omega looks more like a new and different design direction specifically designed around giant hangars, and reminds me of the dramatically different design direction the federation went with when introducing the defiant. Speaking of which, I though the defiant was horribly ugly and un-trek when it showed up but it grew on me so... I guess omega's been growing too.

Originally, I preferred alpha's more sleek and "pretty" aesthetic and thought to myself, "My goodness, omega's the only ship that got UGLIER in the updated graphics" But... I think the aesthetic is growing on me as a more "rugged" looking ship that would be more warship-carrier oriented.

To those talking about "spindly, fragile nacelles." and "giant bay doors are just a target." The design direction discussed by Doug Drexler, who was one of the ship designers of star trek, was that the ships were intended to look impossible. The original enterprise had a long, thin, spindly neck and long, thin, spindly pylons that anyone should look at and think "those can't possibly support those structures." that's supposed to be part of the allure. That technology in the future, what with better alloys and structural integrity fields, is capable of designs that don't look like they should make sense to our "ape brain" as Drexler calls it. Mr. Drexler stated that he feels it was a mistake for the design direction of some ships to "thicken up the pylons" and things as it looks like the technology got less advanced.

Additionally, according to much of treknology, our ships would fly themselves apart without their structural integrity fields and shields and the like. The ship itself without structural integrity fields and shields wouldn't be all that durable, even with the advanced alloys/materials they are made of. Additionally, the federation, and generally all species in star trek, design their ships around shields for defenses. They do try their best to make their ships robust in their own right, but I think the theory of construction is that no physical defense would match the defense of shields, and there are diminishing returns associated with increasing the mass of your ship with heavy structures and heavy armor.

I imagine the thinking behind "spindly pylons/nacelles" that are "obvious and vulnerable targets" is that, without shields, your pylons/nacelles are likely going to get blown off anyway, so there's not much point in trying to reinforce them to take more damage in their own right, just build them in a way that works and then make sure you slap the best shield matrix/generators you can on the ship to protect them.

Also, those big hangar bays are obviously shielded, and again, shields in star trek are far more powerful than physical defenses, so one could argue that those hangar bays are one of the best defended parts of the ship, given they have their own dedicated shields.
    NebulaOdyssey1_zpsqjc6anjg.jpg
    The Nebula-configured Odyssey needs to be a thing.
  • Options
    ssbn655ssbn655 Member Posts: 1,894 Arc User
    #TeamOmega
    There are few things that make Omega the logical winner. It looks like a ship designed as a carrier from day one. The bays are BIG so many support craft can depart and land at once. It has what appear to be control blisters that have a good view of the bays. Alpha looks like just another cruiser.
  • Options
    kelshandokelshando Member Posts: 887 Arc User
    #TeamOmega
    I think Omega looks more like a carrier, the little control tower like things near the hangers and such.. just to me screams carrier.. the Alpha is nice and all but to me just looks like another cruiser.
  • Options
    kemopskemops Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    #TeamOmega
  • Options
    alpharaider47#7707 alpharaider47 Member Posts: 171 Arc User
    #TeamOmega
    #TeamOmega

We are voting on a carrier, only one of these clearly has the space, equipment, and design to fulfill this function. Omega has massive hangar bays to deploy fighters and other craft, it is clearly a carrier. Alpha looks like pretty much everything else that is flying these days. I want to see a carrier that clearly and proudly displays what she is. Nothing does that quite like a pair of hangar bays on either side.
    sFfAcbR.jpg
    STO Beta Test and Launch Veteran
  • Options
    zisko#6191 zisko Member Posts: 49 Arc User
    #TeamAlpha
    Alpha
  • Options
    ssbn655ssbn655 Member Posts: 1,894 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    #TeamOmega
    Is it me or does the "misson pod" look like it was ripped off the trunk of a badly built ricer? http:ricercarmods.com/ridiculous-wanna-be-m3-with-stupid-wing/
    Post edited by ssbn655 on
  • Options
    zachydad#9488 zachydad Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    #TeamOmega
    bucklerpw wrote: »
    Since the tumor appears more subdued in the HiRes image, I voted Alpha over the duckbilled Omega. I don't like the spoiler or the atrophied lower nacelles, but it was less ugly than the Omega. I'd prefer a more classic Star Trek ship with two nacelles, a neck, a fuselage and a round saucer.

Yeah, the Beta would have projected itself nicely as a large ship.
  • Options
    kylethetruekylethetrue Member Posts: 205 Arc User
    #TeamOmega
    Funny how the two finalists were the two designs that were basically the same thing. Guess the community knows what they want. I still wish the Sigma had won. It was a tough call this time. I like the little tower section on top of the Alpha but I like the more angular hull of the Omega.

I ended up going for the Omega.
    "Thou shalt respect the weak and shalt constitute thyself defender of them."
    -3rd Commmandment of Chivalry
    FAWhard_zpsssqnai1l.jpg
  • Options
    vonhellstingvonhellsting Member Posts: 543 Arc User
    #TeamAlpha
    Went with alpha for the deck fin tower thingy.
    The Lobi Crystals are Faaaakkkkee!
  • Options
    shadowx2145shadowx2145 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    #TeamOmega
    Alpha of course

but um so we waited a few extra days to start this but no new versions of the ship profiles or anything??
    The final design will be getting a full paint over. Similar to something like this.
    EDIT: Except not Romulan
    DOUBLE EDIT: Probably not green either.

Uhhh...SPOLIER ALERT!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    This ship is going to have to be pretty special to beat my current Breen Sarr Theln Carrier, with Elite Plesh Brek frigate pet's....
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• Options
    alcyoneserenealcyoneserene Member Posts: 2,413 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    #TeamAlpha
    Sigma & Epsilon were my choice, but Alpha comes in 3rd.

Sure, Alpha's more conventional, but all-round look is aesthetically pleasing no matter which angle is portrayed.

Omega seems more daring, and outside of the hull which is interesting, it has too many sections and angles that seem off, especially those nacelles that are wider than the body itself and simply over-extended, the rear hull simply closing like a saucer as if it's missing something and too rounded off considering the more rugged forward section. Then there's also the underside with those ovals that seem more like fillers than an aerodynamic-inspired space plane fuselage as in Alpha.

Would have liked a kitbash of Sigma/Epsilon nacelles onto Omega option as that is the biggest visual issue I have by far outside of those mentioned.

Go Alpha!
    Y945Yzx.jpg
    Devs: Provide the option to Turn OFF full screen flashes from enemy ship explosions
    · ♥ · ◦.¸¸. ◦'¯`·. (Ɏ) V A N U _ S O V E R E I G N T Y (Ɏ) .·´¯'◦.¸¸. ◦ · ♡ ·
    «» \▼/ T E R R A N ¦ R E P U B L I C \▼/ «»
    ﴾﴿ ₪ṩ ||| N A N I T E S Y S T E M S : B L A C K | O P S ||| ₪ṩ ﴾﴿
  • Options
    pwlaughingtrendypwlaughingtrendy Member Posts: 2,966 Arc User
    DOUBLE EDIT: Probably not green either.

But Trendy... why not green?
    Ok mebbe a little green.

• Options
    zigadeiczigadeic Member Posts: 113 Arc User
    #TeamOmega
    Omega just look so smexy
    tumblr_m9xiz26mwj1rdabsoo1_r1_400.gif
  • Options
    groomofweirdgroomofweird Member Posts: 1,045 Arc User
    #TeamOmega
    Omega ftw.
    Nimoysig1_zpsr79joxz3.jpg
    "If this will be our end, then I will have them make SUCH an end as to be worthy of rememberance! Out of torpedos you say?! Find me the ferengi!".
  • Options
    solidneutroniumsolidneutronium Member Posts: 510 Arc User
    #TeamAlpha
    A vote for the lesser of two fuglies.
    Professional Slider Since 2409

Officially Nerfed In Early 2410
  • Options
    stoltsstolts Member Posts: 482 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    #TeamOmega
    Oh yah! Omega FTW! Its like the Jupiter and the Prometheus class had a kid!

And its following the Odyssey with its smooth lines :) It might unseat the Odyssey as the prettiest ship of the FEDs.
    1686is5.jpg
    The first Belfast was commanded by Captain Ve'Kal Shon until its destruction in 2409. A new ship was commissioned bearing the same name and registry as special dispensation to then newly promoted Captain Edward XIII for his pivotal role during the renewed Dominion War.
  • Options
    strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 2,666 Bug Hunter
    #TeamAlpha
    I'm happy to REPORT that I my vote was on the loosing side 6 and now likely 7 times. Despite wanting Delta to win over Alpha in the first vote, many saw the writing on the wall, that Alpha & Omega would be in the final. Still having seen the 3 ships I really liked beat out early, I'm confused why Alpha isn't doing better as it's a nicer sauser. :p
    0zxlclk.png