Options

Post War Era #1: Token of Honor

12346»

Comments

• Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    If superficiality didn't matter
    captaind3 wrote: »
    Well... you have to remember that for gameplay reasons all players are acting as loyal members of their faction.... so you can't really have people play as the Gorn resistance.

Not straight-out "Destroy all the primates" Gorn resistance, but maybe something akin to how the Romulan arc registers the differences between a Fed-allied and KDF-allied player; dialogue options, maybe Fleet Support summoning a Gorn ship instead of a Klingon one, little things that have no actual effect on gameplay, they just change the feel of the game.

Kind of like the old complaint I've heard from a lot of players; "I don't want Klingonese in the dialogue, I play a Gorn/Orion/Nausicaan/Ferasan/Lethean/etc., my character would be saying that!"
    Well that's certainly true, more flavor. Same as how on the Fed side, a Vulcan and an Andorian would have substantially different dialogue and responses.
    I still want them to update Ancestral Sin on Vulcan. It's the same regardless of whether you're Human/Ferengi/Vulcan or ROMULAN!

Or the reactions and attitudes on Bajor that are the same if you're human, Romulan, Klingon or, oh I don't know, Bajoran.

The sad thing is, they've proven they can do it; the new Fed tutorial, FED "Diplomatic Orders" (the High Priest on Vulcan gives different responses if you're Vulcan), Obisek during "Frozen" after LoR offers Remans a chance to join the Resistance (something even Romulans aren't permitted)... It's just nobody's done anything about it in most of the missions.
    Of course they CAN, but it takes time and effort to redo all those missions.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    But they certainly can and should make species-specific dialogue going forward. Especially KDF-side: I make a policy of automatically docking one star in Foundry missions if the author didn't write for anyone but Klingons.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    @captaind3, @gulberat: As far as Garak, I disagree that executing him would have done anybody any good. One of the stories he tells in "The Wire", while admittedly probably only partially true since that was most of the point of the episode, is that the proximal cause of his exile was REFUSING to commit war crimes. (Remember, they were ALL true, especially the lies.)

Also, on two separate occasions Garak gunned down Obsidian Order operatives to protect political dissidents from arrest. While I can't say his motives were entirely righteous (he openly admitted to hating the one he shot to protect Natima Lang), I think that says something about his character.

The rest of his dirty deeds we actually know about frankly don't count IMHO, seeing as how they fell under the Obsidian Order's legitimate foreign intelligence work.

On balance, I don't see the point in killing him: there's a hell of a lot more good to be gained by having him pay off his debts by community service, as it were, e.g. being an intel asset against the old guard and the Dominion.

Not coincidentally I feel the same way about the Iconians: while I wouldn't have any problem whatsoever killing them to a man after what they did (F*CK Federation "morality"), it would be a lot more useful to make them use their tech to help rebuild the galaxy. And maybe then the Federation wouldn't have to put up with Klingon macho BS like in this blog.

But the current resolution to the arc where they get to just say " oops, our bad" and walk away without even stopping T'Ket from continuing the war is absolutely 100% morally and ethically unacceptable. We had a golden opportunity to strong-arm a better peace out of them, and we f*cked it up in classic Federation fashion. GG, Cryptic.

Oh, and by the way, criticalthinker? If you actually WERE a critical thinker you would have noticed that this supposed anti-Terran uber-tech is coming from House Pegh, the people who think a covert mission involves blowing everyone's cover to go running at something that vaporizes people with a wave of its hand with nothing but a sword and a song. We're better off WITHOUT that kind of "help". Couple of quotations that come to mind:
    --"You know, between his howling and your blasting everything in sight, it's a wonder the whole station doesn't know we're here!"
    --"The Defense Department regrets to inform you that your sons are dead because they were stupid."

And one from the REAL Kahless, "The wind does not respect a fool."
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    turbomagnusturbomagnus Member Posts: 3,479 Arc User
    starswordc wrote: »
    But they certainly can and should make species-specific dialogue going forward. Especially KDF-side: I make a policy of automatically docking one star in Foundry missions if the author didn't write for anyone but Klingons.

Agreed; example, one would think that the LTS Talaxians being created/added at the same time as the Delta Quadrant missions, there'd be special dialogue for them in missions like "Reunion" or "All That Glitters" where Talaxians play major parts if nowhere else... or with the new Cardassian Arc taking place partly on Bajor and Mirror Bajor and featuring an Orb, they could have taken the opportunity for some Bajoran-specific dialogue...
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." -- Q, TNG: "Q-Who?"
    ^Words that every player should keep in mind, especially whenever there's a problem with the game...
  • Options
    gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    starswordc wrote: »
    @captaind3, @gulberat: As far as Garak, I disagree that executing him would have done anybody any good. One of the stories he tells in "The Wire", while admittedly probably only partially true since that was most of the point of the episode, is that the proximal cause of his exile was REFUSING to commit war crimes. (Remember, they were ALL true, especially the lies.)

Also, on two separate occasions Garak gunned down Obsidian Order operatives to protect political dissidents from arrest. While I can't say his motives were entirely righteous (he openly admitted to hating the one he shot to protect Natima Lang), I think that says something about his character.

The rest of his dirty deeds we actually know about frankly don't count IMHO, seeing as how they fell under the Obsidian Order's legitimate foreign intelligence work.

I have a very hard time giving any legitimacy to agencies like the Obsidian Order and the Tal Shiar, given that they frequently engaged in terrorizing their own people to maintain the order of their respective police states, rather than simply foreign intelligence. There is a place for intelligence work. The difference is that I see the Obsidian Order and Tal Shiar as terror tools of cruel regimes and as such I consider it membership in a criminal organization as compared to the intel agency of a legitimate state that doesn't terrorize its own people and that has at least some governmental oversight and control on its activities, as by all indications Starfleet Intelligence (and SI's civilian counterpart which I would expect exists, and by that I do not mean S31).

For me, Garak's actions in attacking other operatives read as revenge and self-preservation rather than any good or principle. He would say or do anything self-serving to curry favor wherever he is. I guess that unlike a lot of Star Trek fans I just don't fall for Garak's mystique or consider him to be excused for any of his atrocities.

But again, though, that's an opinion difference since getting hard proof for anything related to Garak is darned near impossible. I can understand why other fans would read the situation differently and build up a different mythos surrounding Garak than what I would. I think we can legitimately disagree on this one.
    On balance, I don't see the point in killing him: there's a hell of a lot more good to be gained by having him pay off his debts by community service, as it were, e.g. being an intel asset against the old guard and the Dominion.

Given the degree to which I consider him unreliable and self-serving, I think that while you might get some temporary use out of him if he believes his life sufficiently endangered and the new regime sufficiently controlling of where he goes, what he does, etc., I am not convinced it would last and that he would not defect to the True Way at the nearest opportunity, in hopes of restoring his precious police state and being given Enabran Tain's old position.

But like I said, with so little information we can really trust about Garak, I think people are entitled to different interpretations of his character, and that's OK. :)
    Not coincidentally I feel the same way about the Iconians: while I wouldn't have any problem whatsoever killing them to a man after what they did (F*CK Federation "morality"), it would be a lot more useful to make them use their tech to help rebuild the galaxy. And maybe then the Federation wouldn't have to put up with Klingon macho BS like in this blog.

But the current resolution to the arc where they get to just say " oops, our bad" and walk away without even stopping T'Ket from continuing the war is absolutely 100% morally and ethically unacceptable. We had a golden opportunity to strong-arm a better peace out of them, and we f*cked it up in classic Federation fashion. GG, Cryptic.

I admit that while I think the resolution to the war was unsatisfying--in that if L'Miren truly understood the degree of the wrongs she committed, she would have offered reparations herself--I am not sure how well a strong-arming attempt would've gone. However, had I been in that meeting on the ship, once T'Ket vanished I would've at least spoken up about the need for reparations. (Though at least in my own fanfic I think I repaired that some by putting the moral onus onto L'Miren to offer it herself if she was genuinely sorry, and to call to light her failure in that regard.)

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Hmnm..... Who better than Garak to assassinate a Na'kuhl?
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    hartzillahartzilla Member Posts: 1,177 Arc User
    I still want them to update Ancestral Sin on Vulcan. It's the same regardless of whether you're .... ROMULAN!

On the other hand a Romulan Star Empire Ambassador seeing his new bodyguard being a member of the Romulan Republic would probably do a better job of having he leave in a fury that the convoluted letter scheme.