test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Longswords

bernatkbernatk Member Posts: 1,089 Bug Hunter
Please add longswords. We need proper swords, tegolar swords are a start but they no longer cut it. Also I need it for my costume. Thank you. :D
Also help me find a proper board shield in the series or films, guys.

khw0Ura.jpg
Tck7dQ2.jpg
Dahar Master Mary Sue                                               Fleet Admiral Bloody Mary

Comments

• Options
    protogothprotogoth Member Posts: 2,369 Arc User
    westmetals wrote: »
    The Tsunkatze Falchion might be close to what you're looking for.

And aside from possibly the Robin Hood episode, I don't think I've *ever* seen a physical shield used in Trek.

That Falchion attaches to the back, not the hip.

The Kalar/Kaylar in "The Cage" (and the later version, "The Menagerie") has a shield. Best pic I could find:

latest?cb=20081206014852&path-prefix=en
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    And when did we ever see anybody other than the Klingons use a sword for anything besides ceremonial/honor duels?

I can buy something like a KA-BAR knife, or a bayonet on a phaser rifle. A sword? Yeah right, this isn't Warhammer 40,000.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    mrspidey2mrspidey2 Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    In times when personal shields stop directed energy weapon fire, getting stuck in with something sharp is actually a viable option again.
    2bnb7apx.jpg
  • Options
    coupaholiccoupaholic Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    starswordc wrote: »
    I can buy something like a KA-BAR knife, or a bayonet on a phaser rifle. A sword? Yeah right, this isn't Warhammer 40,000.

Not yet. Gotta say I'm looking forward to the reputation gear 'inspired' by W40K.​​
  • Options
    And when did we ever see anybody other than the Klingons use a sword for anything besides ceremonial/honor duels?

Open your eyes? Those ferengis almost killed Neelix with those swords. The nausican sword was used to kill off Picard, rapier by Sulu, etc, etc.

Yeah, this is Star Trek. And Trek has *everything*. (that's why I need to find a proper shield. :D)
    Tck7dQ2.jpg
    Dahar Master Mary Sue                                               Fleet Admiral Bloody Mary
  • Options
    capnmanxcapnmanx Member Posts: 1,452 Arc User
    mrspidey2 wrote: »
    In times when personal shields stop directed energy weapon fire, getting stuck in with something sharp is actually a viable option again.

Still probably better off with a bayonet, so that you didn't have to swap weapons as you moved from ranged to close combat.
  • Options
    ssbn655ssbn655 Member Posts: 1,894 Arc User
    Oh gag you want shields and swords go play freaking Neverwinter!
  • Options
    bioixibioixi Member Posts: 764 Arc User
    A shield does make sense (more than a sword at least), modern day police forces use ballistic shields:

M-SWAT-Blog-LCOA.jpg

It wouldn't be so hard to make physical shields with modern alloys and strap a shield generator to it, basically a secondary shield, it could be used to breach heavily defended positions.

latest?cb=20120321201359
  • Options
    stofskstofsk Member Posts: 1,744 Arc User
    We see the Jem'hadar with bladed weapons and there are plenty of circumstances where energy weapons can be disabled. 'To The Death' has both examples. 'Blood Oath' has the second one.

• Options
    stofsk wrote: »
    We see the Jem'hadar with bladed weapons and there are plenty of circumstances where energy weapons can be disabled. 'To The Death' has both examples. 'Blood Oath' has the second one.

That's why starfleet should have kinetic guns for sidearms, just in case energy weapons are disabled, which happened when the Voth captured the Voyager for example.

A short sword or combat knife should be part of their basic gear also, both items would weigh about 2kg tops but they could safe countless lives.
  • Options
    hunteralpha84hunteralpha84 Member Posts: 524 Arc User
    Hmm was there a bayonet in that ds9 episode where there's a seige on an asteroid? Or was it a knife?

Actually the more I think about it it was a knife that crazy dude made.
  • Options
    gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User

Someone upthread mentioned the Jem'Hadar kar'takin.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • Options
    drakethewhitedrakethewhite Member Posts: 1,240 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    I second the OP's request and add in a request for knives.

Shields? We have dinosaurs with lasers on their heads. Sure, we've lost any reason at all to reject anything.

PS: Swords and knives shouldn't go on the back, they're sidearms with but few exceptions.
  • Options
    stofskstofsk Member Posts: 1,744 Arc User
    bioixi wrote: »
    That's why starfleet should have kinetic guns for sidearms, just in case energy weapons are disabled, which happened when the Voth captured the Voyager for example.
    Well, since you brought it up, and even though it counters one of my points, I would be remiss if I didn't point out that Starfleet did develop a slugthrower weapon but shelved the project when 'regenerative' phasers were developed, supposedly able to fix the problem of directed energy weapons being disabled in weird circumstances.

• Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    A shield does make sense (more than a sword at least), modern day police forces use ballistic shields:

M-SWAT-Blog-LCOA.jpg

It wouldn't be so hard to make physical shields with modern alloys and strap a shield generator to it, basically a secondary shield, it could be used to breach heavily defended positions.

latest?cb=20120321201359
    The Dyson ground 3-peice bonus creates a shield when you crouch.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options

M-SWAT-Blog-LCOA.jpg

latest?cb=20120321201359
    The Dyson ground 3-peice bonus creates a shield when you crouch.

Which is why I use it and I crouch every single time I fight someone, I just love that effect.
  • Options
    asuran14asuran14 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    I cann't really see why this could not be done both in a mundane form like normalshields an swords, but also with technological aspects to it as well. Things like normal shields an weapons could be useful in areas that more advanced weapons are offline, while tech-augemented ones could be used by those that like a different style of conflict or the area makes such conflict better suited to these types.
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    gulberat wrote: »

Someone upthread mentioned the Jem'Hadar kar'takin.

that's not a sword, though; it's more of a halberd/polearm type weapon​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    westmetals wrote: »
    The Tsunkatze Falchion might be close to what you're looking for.

And aside from possibly the Robin Hood episode, I don't think I've *ever* seen a physical shield used in Trek. There have been numerous examples of swords and other bladed weapons, but they're almost always being used two-handed (as in your picture) or are small knives, the only exception I can really think of would be Sulu's fencing rapier.

Pike's adversaries, the Kelarians, TOS: The Cage

oyW9BRa.jpg

McCoy from TOS: Bread and Circuses. Spock also had a sword and shield in that episode.

hzjxDpj.jpg

Kirk fighting Klingons with a from TOS: Day of the Dove. Scotty and Chekov also had swords in that episode.

aXY0jFo.jpg

Advanced societies that used the sword include the Fabrini (who had a worldship and more advanced medical knowledge than the Federation). The TOS crew were attacked by a Samurai with a katana on the Shore Leave Planet. The Enterprise-D archaeologist had a sword collection.

There are easily over a dozen uses of earth swords in Star Trek episodes. I believe the Nausicaan sword appears once.
  • Options
    OMG very nice finds!
    Tck7dQ2.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    There are easily over a dozen uses of earth swords in Star Trek episodes. I believe the Nausicaan sword appears once.

Agreed.

Most however are TOS, and from what I can tell anything TOS is off limits for future development in STO.
  • Options
    leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User

Agreed.

Most however are TOS, and from what I can tell anything TOS is off limits for future development in STO.

I don't think that's true of "anything TOS". I think the concern is "anything that might conflict with or satiate demand for products tied to the new movies".

The CONNIE might be off-limits. Space Lincoln is probably pretty safe.
  • Options
    breadandcircusesbreadandcircuses Member Posts: 2,355 Arc User
    Awww, someone already beat me to it...
    Ym9x9Ji.png
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    I do not like Geko ether.
    iconians wrote: »
    With each passing day I wonder if I stepped into an alternate reality. The Cubs win the world series. Donald Trump is President. Britain leaves the EU. STO gets a dedicated PvP season. Engineers are "out of control" in STO.​​
  • Options
    The CONNIE might be off-limits. Space Lincoln is probably pretty safe.

I'll believe it when I see it in the game. Of course I was amazed they allowed TOS Romulans so I may be wrong.

But that was the last TOS influence I can recall. So I imagine this is a bet I'd win.
  • Options
    highlord83highlord83 Member Posts: 229 Arc User
    Well, since you brought it up, and even though it counters one of my points, I would be remiss if I didn't point out that Starfleet did develop a slugthrower weapon but shelved the project when 'regenerative' phasers were developed, supposedly able to fix the problem of directed energy weapons being disabled in weird circumstances.
    I thought Starfleet shelved the TR-116 because it was too effective, and went against their stance of eternally pathetic military capability?
    "So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again."
    -Dedication plaque of the Federation Starship U.S.S. Merkava
  • Options
    highlord83 wrote: »
    I thought Starfleet shelved the TR-116 because it was too effective, and went against their stance of eternally pathetic military capability?

I think the original design didn't have the transporter addition, and that was the model shelved in favor of the 'regenerative' phasers. And that's the one we get to craft in-game.

Did they say what was done with the transporter modified one?

Seriously, when one allows transporters to do that sort of stuff all sorts of insane weapons become possible. ST should have kept the transporter as limited and constrained as possible for its own sanity and health. But they didn't and one is left wondering time and time again "why don't they just..." as a result.