test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

"Server not responding" for three nights in a row

For the last three days, I've been running into gamebreaking lag in the evenings. The game runs fine in the early morning and late afternoon, but right around 6 or 7 PDT I start seeing "server not responding" for up to three minutes at a time... at which point I get about five seconds to press buttons before it goes unresponsive for another couple minutes. It's like that for a few hours, then gradually gets better.

It wasn't anywhere near this bad last week, so I don't know what could've changed. It's late enough in the year that school has been in for a few weeks.

On the first night that this happened (10/5), I noticed one other site I visit responding a bit more slowly than usual, but others were fine and speedtest.net reported ordinary performance. Then my Internet connection actually went down entirely for a few minutes. When it came back, the STO lag was gone. However, the lag came back yesterday night and tonight, and nothing else seems to have been affected. I don't know if it was just a coincidence that STO had lag AND my Internet was bad on the first night, or if this is all somehow related.

I've been asking in-game and it looks like some others have been experiencing something similar.

Has anyone else been experiencing these issues in STO over the last three evenings? Does anyone have an explanation or theory? Maybe my Internet connection itself is okay, but there are some connections between my computer and STO's servers that are having problems? Or is it a simple server load issue? Or is the upcoming maintenance really urgent this time?

I'm just really puzzled at this point, and worried that these mysterious problems will continue indefinitely.

Comments

• vivenneanthonyvivenneanthony Member Posts: 1,278 Arc User
    Its been down for me also a couple of hours ago. So, I moved to other things.
  • delerouxdeleroux Member Posts: 478 Arc User
    Same. It happens to me at the same times every night. During the afternoon, the servers are fine, then in the later evenings, it's constant SNR, and it's been doing this all week now.
  • tempus64tempus64 Member Posts: 806 Arc User
    farranor wrote: »
    On the first night that this happened (10/5), I noticed one other site I visit responding a bit more slowly than usual, but others were fine and speedtest.net reported ordinary performance. Then my Internet connection actually went down entirely for a few minutes. When it came back, the STO lag was gone. However, the lag came back yesterday night and tonight, and nothing else seems to have been affected. I don't know if it was just a coincidence that STO had lag AND my Internet was bad on the first night, or if this is all somehow related.

Sounds like an ISP thing. Couple months back I had about 3 weeks of odd behavior. Internet would be slow/intermitent at times but only noticeable while playing something like STO, normal stuff it appeared fine for the most part. Then at very random times the cable modem would just reset so I'd lose connection for a few seconds. Then one night it just went out completely. Apparently something "broke" out there in the system and they had to fix it. Since then, not a problem. So for those 3 weeks I was experiencing some issues with equipment that was about to die.

If it's consistently at the same time though, I would think it's a load issue somewhere in the route. Could be some other people out there are suddenly doing a lot of downloads/gameplay or whatever at the same time. I've had some time related issues like that in the past as well that just end up going away eventually.
  • tom61stotom61sto Member Posts: 3,669 Arc User
    Yeah, I've had issues the past few days too. It seems to affect a decent, but not huge, number of people on a variety of ISPs in different locations based on chat and other forum posts. I've heard that it may be an issue with certain internet backbone providers, but not heard much detail on that.
  • hastyl2hastyl2 Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    I have been booted out of the server and now can not get the launcher to respond and then when it does the Login server won't respond. I tried on multiple different ISPs as my neighbors have different ones than I do and I have a 4g LTE hotspot that I can game on none of them are working.
    Dear lord, how can their servers suck so royally?
  • velquavelqua Member Posts: 1,220 Arc User
    Looks like the Hamsters are taking that "Union" break. I hope they get back to work soon.
    18662390068_f716cd60e3.jpg
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,115 Arc User
    deleroux wrote: »
    Dear lord, how can their servers suck so royally?
    Because it's not the servers per se; it's their ISP (Cogent). It's probably the reason for the 12 hour network maintenance running across all games. Either they're doing something with the backend network configuration, opr maybe they found a better ISP and are switching.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    Yes getting the Server not responding, booted, log in issues... someone has STO on clock for DDOS attacks?
  • tfcivtfciv Member Posts: 65 Arc User
    I've had these issues the last few days also. I traced it to an above.net router (my route to STO no longer goes through cogent). The router would just start dropping packets like there's no tomorrow for almost exactly 2 minutes at a time then return to normal. I used the launcher settings to use the EU proxy server (I live in the US), so the ping is terrible, but no more lag spikes so far!
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,615 Arc User
    I have not had these issues for the last 3 nights. My ISP is CenturyLink in the Washington state.

I'm not trying to say "it's just you", only that it's not everyone.
  • tinkerstormtinkerstorm Member Posts: 853 Arc User
    It seems to be a game of hot potato. Thanks for taking a turn, OP. I'm enjoying a break from the lag for a change. But don't worry, the potato will back in my hands soon enough.
  • xayssxayss Member Posts: 391 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    i play alot of games online and this is the only and only one i always have alot of troubles aka ; lag,desconection,server no responding freezing and all bad stuff always happend and yeah i dont think saw for a second is my isp ,colombia,south america. i have 3 years playing sto with the same isp but this days are the worts in all my time playing sto so far
    nexus.jpg

I have not had these issues for the last 3 nights. My ISP is CenturyLink in the Washington state.

I'm not trying to say "it's just you", only that it's not everyone.

It would be "just us" if we were also experiencing general connection/internet/network issues, but if the only issues we're experiencing are with STO, and particularly if these issues didn't exist a week ago, then basic deduction dictates it's not "just us."

• typhoncaltyphoncal Member Posts: 247 Arc User
    I play a few other online MMOs and so does my son and this is the only game i have problems with when it comes to to dropping and lag. I know i have a good connection, i dont believe it is on my side as much as i think it is a cryptic issue.
    Commander Shran - You tell Archer, that is three the pink skin owes me!
  • captainransomcaptainransom Member Posts: 126 Arc User
    For the last three days, I've been running into gamebreaking lag in the evenings. The game runs fine in the early morning and late afternoon, but right around 6 or 7 PDT I start seeing "server not responding" for up to three minutes at a time... at which point I get about five seconds to press buttons before it goes unresponsive for another couple minutes. It's like that for a few hours, then gradually gets better.

I have exactly this also. I have no clue what is causing it. Chat mostly works too, and other people in channel will experience the issue but a small amount. I'm also out west in the Pacific time zone.

Question to the OP... if you're running a space mission and this stuff hits do you get a "pause" where everything is frozen but weapons constantly fire etc. for about 3 mins and then it zooms and catches up to the current time? I was wondering what the heck that is?

And I'm with you check my connections, ping, reset router, yadda yadda yadda. Maybe its network throttling due to prime time in USA? :/

giphy.gif

"It's easy to cling to principles when you're standing on a vessel with its bulkheads intact, manned by a crew that's not starving."

• farranorfarranor Member Posts: 559 Arc User

I have exactly this also. I have no clue what is causing it. Chat mostly works too, and other people in channel will experience the issue but a small amount. I'm also out west in the Pacific time zone.

Question to the OP... if you're running a space mission and this stuff hits do you get a "pause" where everything is frozen but weapons constantly fire etc. for about 3 mins and then it zooms and catches up to the current time? I was wondering what the heck that is?

And I'm with you check my connections, ping, reset router, yadda yadda yadda. Maybe its network throttling due to prime time in USA? :/

Unfortunately, I cannot answer your question, because, fortunately, I haven't had such a lag spike during space combat.

However, it sounds like it's just what you guessed: your machine's state getting stuck - with various animations looping indefinitely - then "catching up" to the server's state when the connection improves.
    It's just started again - server not responding for four minutes and counting, starting at 6:10 pm PDT.
    Mine was around the same time. Gotta be network throttling. :(
    giphy.gif

"It's easy to cling to principles when you're standing on a vessel with its bulkheads intact, manned by a crew that's not starving."

• dubbymon#8022 dubbymon Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    Aggrevating, are premium paid players having this issue?
    Yes, I'm a LTS.
    giphy.gif

And here we go again... This is absolutely absurd.
  • annemarie30annemarie30 Member Posts: 2,671 Arc User
    same here
    We Want Vic Fontaine
  • breadandcircusesbreadandcircuses Member Posts: 2,355 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    Funny, it's always about this time for me too... also just for STO. On the plus side, the new Fall season has started and I have plenty of TV to watch instead. TV that I watch via the internet, for the most part. :tongue:
    Ym9x9Ji.png
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    I do not like Geko ether.
    iconians wrote: »
    With each passing day I wonder if I stepped into an alternate reality. The Cubs win the world series. Donald Trump is President. Britain leaves the EU. STO gets a dedicated PvP season. Engineers are "out of control" in STO.​​
  • farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    I been having issues for a few days as well. Even during the low traffic hours. Most of the time I get the rubber banding and server not responding counter.

I really hope the long shut down will solve these issues.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • lighte007lighte007 Member Posts: 390 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    It will probably get better when we have a 13 hour shortage since Perfect World is shutting down the server for much needed maintenance and upgrades, on the 13th of October. (6 AM to 7 PM)
    The Rising of the Delta is the best expansion ever, and people love it to death because it is a good day to die in the endless struggle for supremacy of your own conviction. (A spin off of the Delta Rising is the best expansion ever and all the players love it.)
  • vivenneanthonyvivenneanthony Member Posts: 1,278 Arc User
    Check out https://www.reddit.com/r/sto/comments/3o06n6/connection_problems/

I failed a report but I'm not looking it's Cogent problems but the actual Cryptic servers.
    I have a request for those of you who have been experiencing the same lag on the same days and times that I have, with the rest of your Internet apparently unaffected: check out your connection to the other site that I noticed having issues during the same time periods. Open a command prompt (Start > search for "cmd") and run the command:
    ping -t www.stackoverflow.com

This will ping the site continuously, until you press Control-C to stop it (10-20 seconds should be enough). If you see a lot of "Request timed out" like I do, maybe our connection issues are related.
  • annemarie30annemarie30 Member Posts: 2,671 Arc User
    i gave up. kept dumping during step between the stars. on the flip side i have 2 of three suits
    We Want Vic Fontaine
  • tempusmagustempusmagus Member Posts: 107 Arc User
    This problem is getting ridiculous. I can't even play.