test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Which General would you choose?

ryan218ryan218 Member Posts: 36,106 Arc User
edited September 2015 in Ten Forward
If you had the choice of asking for any of these commanders to conduct a war effort, who would you choose and why?

Which General would you choose? 16 votes

General Martok (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine)
18%
guljarolhawku001xmhall85 3 votes
Vice Admiral William Ross (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine)
6%
artan42 1 vote
Gul Dukat (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine)
0%
Legate Damar (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine)
6%
gulberat 1 vote
Captain John 'Nuke 'Em!' Sheridan (Babylon 5)
43%
ryan218marcusdkanerattler2edalgotheraven2378ladytiamat666highlord83 7 votes
Chancellor Gowron (Star Trek: The Next Generation + Deep Space Nine)
0%
General Chang (Star Trek: The Undiscovered Country)
6%
legendarylycan#5411 1 vote
Captain James T. Kirk (No introduction necessary)
6%
williamknight50 1 vote
Captain Jean-Luc Picard (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
0%
Brigadier General George Hammond 'of Texas' (Stargate SG-1)
12%
starswordcgrandnaguszek1 2 votes

Comments

• ryan218ryan218 Member Posts: 36,106 Arc User
    For me, it's Captain John J. Sheridan. This is a man who destroyed the Minbari Flagship and its supporting cruisers in a disabled Light Cruiser, his C.O. dead and said Flagship bearing down on him. He fought two massive wars back-to-back and won both within a year each. He was careful about committing to a fight, but once he got in one he'd sure as hell finish it. Most importantly of all, he cares about each and every soldier under his command.

Also, there's just something appealing about a General who can face up to a pair of aliens who can wipe him out in the blink of an eye and ORDER THEM around and still get away with it! :D
  • theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,985 Arc User
    ryan218 wrote: »
    For me, it's Captain John J. Sheridan. This is a man who destroyed the Minbari Flagship and its supporting cruisers in a disabled Light Cruiser, his C.O. dead and said Flagship bearing down on him. He fought two massive wars back-to-back and won both within a year each. He was careful about committing to a fight, but once he got in one he'd sure as hell finish it. Most importantly of all, he cares about each and every soldier under his command.

Also, there's just something appealing about a General who can face up to a pair of aliens who can wipe him out in the blink of an eye and ORDER THEM around and still get away with it! :D

He never started fights during the Earth Civil War, only fighting when fired upon and was instrumental is the founding of the ISA
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
      I haven't watched Stargate or B5, so those two weren't in the running for me.

Since my number 1 choice, Benjamin Sisko, wasn't on the list, I decided to go for an unconventional choice: Legate Damar.

I realize this is unconventional because we did not see Damar at his best when he was leading the Cardassian war effort at the Dominion's behest. But amazingly enough, while he was in charge, even when he was a raging alcoholic he was still turning out strategies keeping his people in the fight. The more impressive thing is when we see what he manages to do sober: lead a rebellion against an incredibly powerful and ruthless conqueror and ultimately inspire the rebellion of the masses despite hideous reprisals from the Dominion both against him personally and his entire people.

Obviously Damar's weak areas are 1) his initial hero worship of Dukat and of the Cardassian state as "gods" that could do no wrong, and 2) his alcoholism. However, Damar ultimately kicked both of those, even though it meant recognizing that all he'd been fighting for before was wrong. So my vote for Damar comes with the caveat that 1) he must be fighting for a worthy cause and not for dictators or conquerors, and 2) he must be sober.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
      Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
    • mhall85mhall85 Member Posts: 2,852 Arc User1
      General Martok (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine)
      Very surprised Bill Adama didn't make this list, given the other names...

Anyhoo, I pick Martok. Sound strategic mind, well-respected leader.
      d87926bd02aaa4eb12e2bb0fbc1f7061.jpg
    • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,018 Community Moderator
      Surprised there's no love for Hammond... of Texas.

Anyways... my vote does go for Sheridan "Starkiller". And he didn't take out the supporting ships. The Black Star ambushed the Lexington's task force with her superior Jump Drive by herself, catching several ships in the forming vortex and cutting the survivors to pieces. Lexington was written off as dead before Sheridan set nukes in the nearby asteroid field and lured the Black Star into a booby trap.
      db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
      I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
      The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
      General Chang (Star Trek: The Undiscovered Country)
      if you need to ask why - shame on you! go buy a copy of klingon academy and play it, NAO!​​
      Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
      An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
      A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
      A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
      "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
      Passion and Serenity are one.
      I gain power by understanding both.
      In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
      I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
      The Force is united within me.
    • ryan218ryan218 Member Posts: 36,106 Arc User
      rattler2 wrote: »
      Surprised there's no love for Hammond... of Texas.

Anyways... my vote does go for Sheridan "Starkiller". And he didn't take out the supporting ships. The Black Star ambushed the Lexington's task force with her superior Jump Drive by herself, catching several ships in the forming vortex and cutting the survivors to pieces. Lexington was written off as dead before Sheridan set nukes in the nearby asteroid field and lured the Black Star into a booby trap.

Yeah, that was based on his conversation about the ambush with Ivanova in the first episode of Season 2, where he says the explosion destroyed (it may have been heavily damaged now I think about it) the Black Star's support ships. Also, in 'In the Beginning', I believe there were multiple Cruisers in the attack. I'd have to watch it again to be sure though.
    • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
      edited September 2015
      Vice Admiral William Ross (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine)
      Ross. Actually lets S31 get on with their jobs. Plus, he did really well in the Dominion War.

Oh, and He's a Starfleet Admiral who isn't insane or evil.​​
      22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
      Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
      JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
      'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
      'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
      '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
      'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
      '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    • cptjhuntercptjhunter Member Posts: 2,288 Arc User
      General Tso. He's chicken. :p
    • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
      Brigadier General George Hammond 'of Texas' (Stargate SG-1)
      Major General George Hammond. Reasonable superior officer who ALWAYS listens to his subordinates but will assert his authority lightly when he has to. Cares deeply about his troops and will personally go in after them if he has to.

And he has his grandchildren on speed-dial above the President of the United States. :blush:
      "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
      — Sabaton, "Great War"
      VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
    • gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
      artan42 wrote: »
      Ross. Actually lets S31 get on with their jobs. Plus, he did really well in the Dominion War.

Oh, and He's a Starfleet Admiral who isn't insane or evil.​​

He's more...morally grey than a black hat IMO, and from a story perspective that's an interesting thing to see.

His S31 affiliation, however, is the reason that I would have voted for Sisko had he been an available choice on the poll, in lieu of Ross. (Obviously my choice among the contenders in this poll, Damar, had very bad affiliations at the start, but kicked those when he came to his senses.)

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
      Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
    • ladytiamat666ladytiamat666 Member Posts: 276 Arc User
      John Sheridan, because he is a military genius and because if the situation becomes tense, he has fearsome allies :D

signature%201.jpg_zpsklpuyd7v.png